Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: Joe Bergeron]
      #5203815 - 05/03/12 01:35 PM

Quote:

A-P has stated that the currently available 900 mounts are the last that will be made. I think the upgrade will come sooner rather than later.

By the way, this is not a "rumor". It was stated by Marj Christen more than once on one of AP's Yahoo groups. I'm not inclined to go around bloviating about things I don't know.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: 29N
Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5205537 - 05/04/12 12:29 PM

Does anyone here know how to get in touch with Software Bisque? I posted a message on their Support Forum on the 29th and still no one has replied. I also sent an email yesterday, but no response.

Edited by saadabbasi (05/04/12 12:31 PM)

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: Joe Bergeron]
      #5205609 - 05/04/12 01:20 PM

I believe that she also mentioned it would be about a year? One would assume there would be a run of AP-1600's and Mach1 mounts prior to the next run of the NEW AP-900?

Blueman
Quote:

Quote:

A-P has stated that the currently available 900 mounts are the last that will be made. I think the upgrade will come sooner rather than later.

By the way, this is not a "rumor". It was stated by Marj Christen more than once on one of AP's Yahoo groups. I'm not inclined to go around bloviating about things I don't know.

Bob_Stan

Reged: 01/08/06

Loc: Northeast
Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: saadabbasi]
      #5205639 - 05/04/12 01:34 PM

What forum did you post to at Software Bisque and what subject? I read them fairly regularly and don't remember seeing any posts from April 29th?

saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: Bob_Stan]
      #5205647 - 05/04/12 01:39 PM

Quote:

What forum did you post to at Software Bisque and what subject? I read them fairly regularly and don't remember seeing any posts from April 29th?

http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/t/15430.aspx

Thanks!

coz
sage

Reged: 08/25/10

Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: blueman]
      #5205696 - 05/04/12 02:13 PM

I think she said soon so maybe after the 1600s because the Mach One is now.

Quote:

I believe that she also mentioned it would be about a year? One would assume there would be a run of AP-1600's and Mach1 mounts prior to the next run of the NEW AP-900?

Blueman

Quote:

Quote:

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
      #5205792 - 05/04/12 03:07 PM

Quote:

Does anyone here know how to get in touch with Software Bisque? I posted a message on their Support Forum on the 29th and still no one has replied. I also sent an email yesterday, but no response.

You need to re-post your question again and again. About a year ago, I called SB about a tripod for the Paramount MX and I did not like what I experienced. Maybe it is me but I have high expectation when I am about to spend $11,000.00 on two sets of worm/worm wheels and two electrical motors on a tripod. SB also seems very quick to recommend shipping the Paramounts back to them if there is a problem. As much you might like the looks of the PMX, considering your location, you need a mount that you can service and troubleshoot on your own.

saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: Alph]
      #5205818 - 05/04/12 03:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You need to re-post your question again and again. About a year ago, I called SB about a tripod for the Paramount MX and I did not like what I experienced. Maybe it is me but I have high expectation when I am about to spend $11,000.00 on two sets of worm/worm wheels and two electrical motors on a tripod. SB also seems very quick to recommend shipping the Paramounts back to them if there is a problem. As much you might like the looks of the PMX, considering your location, you need a mount that you can service and troubleshoot on your own.

Interesting... it's good to experience this before I purchased the mount. If I don't receive a reply soon, I think I'm just going to wait for the new ap900.

LLEEGE
True Blue

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Cloud-chester,NY
Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: blueman]
      #5205850 - 05/04/12 03:49 PM

Quote:

One would assume there would be a run of AP-1600's and Mach1 mounts prior to the next run of the NEW AP-900?

Blueman

There will not be another run of 900's. The next run of 900 class mounts will be the new design. There is no decision yet as to what it will be called. Howard is pushing for 1000 so they can call it "The Grand".

saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: LLEEGE]
      #5205858 - 05/04/12 03:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

One would assume there would be a run of AP-1600's and Mach1 mounts prior to the next run of the NEW AP-900?

Blueman

There will not be another run of 900's. The next run of 900 class mounts will be the new design. There is no decision yet as to what it will be called. Howard is pushing for 1000 so they can call it "The Grand".

The Grand sounds pretty cool! Does anyone know if the "the grand" will have encoders like the AP1600GTO?

LLEEGE
True Blue

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Cloud-chester,NY
      #5205871 - 05/04/12 04:00 PM

Encoders will be an option, the same as the 1600.

saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

#5205881 - 05/04/12 04:05 PM

Quote:

Encoders will be an option, the same as the 1600.

Thanks and would you happen to have any idea when the new mount will be announced? And if there's any increase in price?

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
      #5205904 - 05/04/12 04:20 PM

Quote:

Howard is pushing for 1000 so they can call it "The Grand".

How about "Three Grands" (for an encoder )

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
      #5206092 - 05/04/12 06:25 PM

Saad,

Do you realized that Paramount mounts require 48V DC power? I have no idea whether it would be an inconvenience to transport 48V battery to the field. I would not like transporting four 12V batteries to the field plus another 12V battery for other equipment like cameras, dew heater, etc. Something to think about.

Paramount sells optional 48V portable power supplies in 5AH and 10AH models. They costs between $600 and $750!!!!!

Peter

EDIT: Maybe you can use single 12V car battery and use an inverter (12V to 110VAC) to power the included 48V power supply.

Edited by Peter in Reno (05/04/12 07:01 PM)

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #5206180 - 05/04/12 07:08 PM

That is one thing that I thought about a lot when looking at SB mounts, seems strange to use a voltage like that and not too practical in the field. I guess not such a problem if you are permanently mount in an observatory?
Blueman
Quote:

Saad,

Do you realized that Paramount mounts require 48V DC power? I have no idea whether it would be an inconvenience to transport 48V battery to the field. I would not like transporting four 12V batteries to the field plus another 12V battery for other equipment like cameras, dew heater, etc. Something to think about.

Paramount sells optional 48V portable power supplies in 5AH and 10AH models. They costs between $600 and $750!!!!!

Peter

EDIT: Maybe you can use single 12V car battery and use an inverter (12V to 110VAC) to power the included 48V power supply.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #5206227 - 05/04/12 07:40 PM

Saad, beats me why no response considering that you posted in the presales questions area for which the questions don't even show up unless they have been read. Maybe has something to do with everyone being at NEAF that week? It's a small company. But from the Paramount MX page on the Software Bisque website you can get the box sizes and weights, then get shipping estimates and such online as needed:

Q: What are the dimensions and weight of the Paramount MX shipping boxes?

A: The dimensions of the large Paramount MX shipping box are 13-in. x 24.5-i.n x 26-in. (33 cm x 62 cm x 66 cm ) and weighs approximately 65 lbs. (29 kg). Counterweights are shipped separately.

Counterweights 2 or 3 at 9 kg (20 lbs.) each., 305 x 305 x 305 mm (12 x 12 x 12 in.), 18-27 kg (40-60 lbs.)
So unless you ask them to add a third counterweight (two are standard), figure 2 counterwights or 40lbs for the counterweight box.

Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
      #5206229 - 05/04/12 07:41 PM

Quote:

Saad,

Peter

Just an FYI...

Power conversions can be as efficient as 92% but are generally around 80% efficient.

Converting 12VDC to 120VAC and then down to 48VDC will probably be about 64% efficient (80% of 80%), meaning that 36% of your 12V battery power will be converted to heat in the converters. This also means that your battery's Ah capacity would need to be re-rated by 36%.

I believe that SB's decision to use 48VDC is a good one from a motor perspective although it does create problems in the field.

Instead of converters, I would use four smaller, inexpensive 7Ah or larger 12VDC sealed lead-acid batteries wired up in series.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

#5206237 - 05/04/12 07:48 PM

Quote:

Do you realized that Paramount mounts require 48V DC power?

Which is quite honestly no big deal. In the field you can use an inverter with the included power supply brick. SB also sell a 48V battery pack made specifically to power the mount, but that's rather pricy. The mount itself also doesn't actually use very much power. Laptop uses way more power.

If you use an inverter, it doesn't need to be an expensive or high capacity one. A cheap one that handles just the needed amount of power works very well here. Doesn't need to be a fancy sine wave inverter or anything like that either.

Many MX owners are using the mount as a smaller less expensive equivalent to the ME. They're using them in observatories. Power is certainly not an issue there.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

#5206265 - 05/04/12 08:08 PM

Quote:

SB also seems very quick to recommend shipping the Paramounts back to them if there is a problem. As much you might like the looks of the PMX, considering your location, you need a mount that you can service and troubleshoot on your own.

The only time I see SB recommend shipping a mount back to them is when the mount owner is a non-technical person. People like that do own mounts too. Not everyone is technically inclined. If you're at all technically inclined they send parts with instructions. That's my impression in any case. YMMV of course.

See the video posted earlier in this thread of an MX mount repair done in the field by an typical MX mount owner that SB sent parts and instructions. A link to that video was posted a little bit back in this thread during the discussion of worms and belts.

saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

Re: Has anyone here used an Paramount MX and an AP900? new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5206626 - 05/05/12 01:06 AM

I think I'm going to stick with AP here. I'll just wait for whenever the new AP900 is released.

I really liked the MX but SB doesn't seem interested and OPT, after 3-4 emails of discussion over the past week, simply stated they can't provide me with a mount (didn't give any reason).

So I'm going to save myself a headache and just stick with AP.

I wanted to thank all of you, you all provided very valuable insight into the matter. I definitely leaned a lot about the MX and about AP from this thread.

Edited by saadabbasi (05/05/12 01:08 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10926

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics