Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eric Gage
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/13/05

Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: Nebhunter]
      #5264102 - 06/09/12 10:58 PM

Quote:

Well, I have a G11. But you already know the drill having the G8. It takes some work and knowledge, but a solid mount and you can't go wrong with one. Can you set up the outfit onto a cart to not have to lift anything?

But there is a wonderful mount that exceeds these for portability, and the best and fastest polar scope period. Tak EM200. These mounts are not mentioned much here, and there is a good one listed on Amart.

Talk to any Tak mount user, and they don't look back. They are keepers. FWIW.

Beat me to it. EM-200 Temma II's have gone for as low as $4000 including tripods. For me, it was the only mount that seemed to sit in the broad gap between the G11 and the Mach 1. I'm quite happy with it, and it is less to carry than a G11. You don't even have to be on level ground. Still, I'd echo the input above about a fixed observatory if possible. You will never be able to lift more than you can today, and eventually it will be less. Scope Buggy or similar would be an alternative.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vdb
sage

Reged: 12/08/09

Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: Eric Gage]
      #5264203 - 06/10/12 12:35 AM

I own both ...
Use the IEQ45 most of the time, due to portability and fast setup time with very accurate polarscope. It really puzzles me Losmandy did not change to a fixed polarscope with hour markings ...
Already mentioned the Aloy used on the IEQ45 is junk compared to the Losmandy I have already 2 RA threads broke ... you need to set them loose when you pickup the mount or otherwise you push out the screws ...

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: vdb]
      #5264466 - 06/10/12 09:58 AM

Quote:

... I have already 2 RA threads broke ... you need to set them loose when you pickup the mount or otherwise you push out the screws ...

Huh? Are you talking about the iEQ45 mount? What are "RA threads"? Do you mean the 4 locking bolts around the RA axis? I don't understand how lifting the mount can push them out. Can you explain a bit more here?

-Dan

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: vdb]
      #5264518 - 06/10/12 10:39 AM

Hi Kevin, I have the iOptron iEQ45 with clutch mod, a MiniTower II, the Pro Tripod, and the Portable Pier. I also have major back problem too, so I know exactly what you're looking for in that regard. The first mount I got was a CGEM-DX which was way out of my weight limits. The a CG5 that while light I just couldn't cozy up to. When I went for round three of mount selections I put the weight issue as the highest priority. So, I selected iOptron because they had the components I wanted in light enough version it wouldn't be a strain. Each of these parts are 25lbs or less, iEQ45 head with CW extension if you have it, Pier, Pro tripod with MiniPier, CW's @ 11lbs each. It's a great set of accessories too. I can mix and match the MTII, iEQ45, Pier, and MT Pro Tripod with or without MiniPier. The Pier is really nice, it's very sturdy and tons of clearance for people, wires and refractors. Only thing is I have to use shims to level it on my deck which isn't flat level enough to manage with the leveling feet. I should look into longed feet I guess. Also, it's very portable, the whole thing folds up and stows inside the Pier itself. The current Pier ships with bolt patterns for the MT, iEQ45 and iEQ30. I tried to stay to subjects nobody has mentioned yet. Also, they have great customer service, they have bent over backwards to help me put together the set of products that works best for me. If you have any special concerns, by all means contact them and see what they can do for you.

gog52
journeyman

Reged: 08/07/10

Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5516284 - 11/12/12 04:16 PM

Hi Dan,
As you know my cube has a problem. Remember the clutch at the science museum. I think I'd like to get a IEQ30. I'm using my FS102 and Binos. It should handle that. I can't see the combo even approaching 20lbs. I think you would buy your IEQ45 again, wouldn't you?

Roger Whitfield BAA

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: gog52]
      #5516451 - 11/12/12 06:21 PM

Hi Roger:

Yes, I would definitely buy the iEQ45 again. And I would think the IEQ30 could handle the FS102 or binos with no problem for visual.

-Dan

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: Katz]
      #5517403 - 11/13/12 08:10 AM

Losmandy - Made in the USA

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: hottr6]
      #5517521 - 11/13/12 09:14 AM

The EM200 weighs as much as a CGEM/Atlas. Back-breaking.

The extremely rare AP400 GTO would meet your requirements - 18lb weight, very nice machining, Made in the USA.. but it's extremely rare and doesn't come cheap ($4000 last I checked).

Having gone through this selection mechanism recently, the only (relatively) lightweight mount that ticks all the boxes is the Mach1. And we all know where that goes..

Why not just get a CG-5 ASGT and accept that it won't carry more than 15 lb for AP? at least that way your cash out is minimal..

Hikari
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Maine, USA
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5517593 - 11/13/12 10:04 AM

I would consider Takahashi--And it is made in Japan! [0] Takahashi generally has very conservative specs.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: Hikari]
      #5517671 - 11/13/12 10:58 AM

I can vouch for Tak quality. Their craftsmanship is top notch and tracking is superb.
Regarding the G-11 I'm a little confused about the advertised payload. Losmandy says 60lbs but when I looked at it next to my Mach1 it didn't look a lot heftier than the AP which only carries 45lbs.

David Ault
sage

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: Georgetown, TX
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: andysea]
      #5517752 - 11/13/12 11:41 AM

If I were in your position, I would save up for a AP900. The RA and DEC assemblies split with the RA weighing just 26.5 lbs and the DEC weighing in at 17 lbs. Paired with an 9.25" EdgeHD (21 lbs) and/or a nice 4" triplet refractor (mid to high 20's if you go for the carbon fiber versions) this would be excellent for visual or AP. I also agree that a backyard observatory would be a great option. I think the AP900 would get you a great observatory mount and it would be light enough when you want to go on the road. I've seen them pop up in classifieds as low as $5k, but that seems kind of rare and typically that includes nothing but the mount.

Regards,
David

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: David Ault]
      #5517789 - 11/13/12 12:01 PM

The AP900 is a great mount. I was going back and forth between that and the Mach1. I decided for the Mach1 because it's newer and lighter and it carries all my telescopes. I do agree that the 900 would be an excellent choice.
I would recommend buying new instead of used.

Andy

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: andysea]
      #5518859 - 11/13/12 10:54 PM

Well it is always a question what you are ready to pay and what your weight limit is...

I think the iOptron iEQ45 is a decent mount with reasonable price and low weight compared to similar offerings like the Atlas or CGEM.
The one I own had no problems so far. I would buy it again no question.

If you are looking for a lifetime mount:
Tak EM-11, AP Mach1 or a bit lower in price the Losmandy GM-8.
The Mach1 can carry more weight than the other two.

best regards
Chris

Mr_T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/06/08

Loc: NJ
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: chboss]
      #5519102 - 11/14/12 06:27 AM

I used the G11 Gemini 1 with the SV70 and SV102 side by side I then switched the SV 102 out and used a Tak 106 with the sv70 on top the mount handled it fine for Astro imaging with fli16803 on the back and thats a big camera and filter wheel
I found polar aligning pretty easy with the polar scope. The G11 is a long time performer and can be picked up at a reasonable price on the Used market

Les

Skyshooter
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/07/08

Loc: S. Utah, U.S.A.
      #5519315 - 11/14/12 10:32 AM

Hi Kev, I wouldn't factor out the G8 so soon. It's portability and build quality cannot be overlooked. You could mount a lightweight 105mm like the SVR105 (10 lbs) with the 70mm no problem. I'd piggyback though(balance issues). I carry out the mount without the OTA(s) attached, then slide on the OTA(s). Very manageble.... I usually use the SVR90T (7 lbs) with ZS66 piggybacked (3.5 lbs). I like to take this out to dark sites in the summertime so portability is an issue for me. Your health being an issue for you... You're an ME ( my wife is also, MIT) and you're familliar with the G8. It is made in the U.S., parts are available and YOU can actually work on it. That being said, The Ioptron looks pretty cool and is lightweight too. The Tak is definately a proven performer... The G11 might be a little much... The wait times on Losmandy can take awhile...
I'm sure you'll have fun coming up with the package that's
best for you. Just make sure you take care of your back.

CLS
Ed

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #5520049 - 11/14/12 07:46 PM

Katz,
I've never seen the Ioptron. My only experience is with one of their 90mm f4 refracter that I use as a finder/guider. Good OTA. I'm the 3rd owner of my G11. It started as a DDS, & I've added the PS, Clutches, tripod knobs, encoders, OPW, & a Cassidy saddle, & Gemini-2. It has been an awesome mount. I upgraded to an HGM-200 for more capacity. You know the drill with the Losmandys', they just don't quit. The "Other" mounts I've had have ALL required a lot of work to get to run well, & they still didn't live up to the advertised specs. The G11 worked right from the start. I have a bad habit of breaking the RA gearboxes & can have the mount back in business in 15 minutes. When my old Vixen & LXD broke it was never a pretty picture. If you have the ability to pier mount, then a G11 no question. If you can do an Observatory, even better. If you need to be semi-Grab-N-Go then maybe the lighter weight is better for your back.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898
Alt 518ft ASL

nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
Re: Would like opinion - Losmandy or iOptron? new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5520057 - 11/14/12 07:57 PM

I have an iEQ45 and I like it ,when it works .I have a memory card problem right now:(
However if you have a bad back and a back yard why not a scope buggy?
I made my own and I have 2 of them no more lifting for me:)
Also with alignment pins on it I can put my iEQ45 in the same spot so polar alignment is not needed sometimes . My setup time is almost as quick as opening up an observatory!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3538

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics