Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
chooch
journeyman

Reged: 10/01/12

Re: Ioptron SmartEQ #3100-first look new [Re: SolSystem]
      #5458121 - 10/06/12 03:53 PM

I think you would have to wait for the news as everyone i had checked with was sold out ..And the one I got directly from them was an open box although barely used .It came at a nice discount ,Hard to pass up. I plan on keeping it matched up to my AT 72ED its great for what it is a nice portable grab n go scope...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Re: Ioptron SmartEQ #3100-first look new [Re: chooch]
      #5458308 - 10/06/12 06:42 PM

Quote:

Hello to all, I just picked one of these up for my AT-72Ed so far it looks great ,I went to Ioptrons HQ in Woburn as I live close by, After talking with them I found out they are releasing a SmartEQ pro at the end of the month -middle of nov,, It will have metal gears polar alignment scope and a port for a guide camera cost will be 499.00 ..Carl

Wow! That sounds like a perfect mount for wide-angle astro. Mount a DSLR with a 50mm to 200mm lens or an 80mm short APO. Can't wait to see it!

JoseBorrero
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/04/09

Loc: Puerto Rico Island
Re: Ioptron SmartEQ #3100-first look new [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #5458602 - 10/06/12 11:12 PM

i saw the intro for this mount at the 2012 neaf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib0LK1sJT8w

not bad at all! for a dslr

UND_astrophysics
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

Re: Ioptron SmartEQ #3100-first look new [Re: JoseBorrero]
      #5664550 - 02/06/13 01:10 AM

Has anyone been able to use a guide scope with this and third party software like PHD guiding. Several vendors I have asked cannot answer the question.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: Ioptron SmartEQ #3100-first look new [Re: UND_astrophysics]
      #5664826 - 02/06/13 09:03 AM

Quote:

Has anyone been able to use a guide scope with this and third party software like PHD guiding. Several vendors I have asked cannot answer the question.

The SmartEQ (Model 3100) can not be guided...it has no St4 port.

The SmartEQ Pro (Model 3200)is euipped with a St4 port and can be autoguided with almost any 3d party guiding software. PHD works fine with it.

Hope the info helps..

Paul

Ketan
sage

Reged: 11/02/06

Re: Ioptron SmartEQ #3100-first look new [Re: Pedestal]
      #5766097 - 03/30/13 02:59 AM

Hallo, Wanted to ask something. How does it compare to the Celestron CG4 mount? Will it be worth if I upgrade to this iOptron model? I mean in terms of stability and accuracy.

gtbzz85

Reged: 12/18/11

Re: Ioptron SmartEQ #3100-first look new [Re: Astronewb]
      #5805476 - 04/17/13 09:06 PM

I'm considering the purchase of the iOptron SmartEqu Pro mount. I plan to use it with a DSLR & guiding with a webcam (still need to find a small scope for the webcam to look through).

I would like to use PHD to control the mount using the ST4 port on the mount (may be on the controller). What cable do I need to go between the ST4 port and my Dell laptop? It has a RS-232 (COM?) port on the back.

I assume I could also use Starry Night or similar program to guide the mount using the same cable?

Big trip to Utah coming in May.. can't wait to take some photos!
Thank you!

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: Ioptron SmartEQ #3100-first look new [Re: gtbzz85]
      #5805962 - 04/18/13 12:44 AM

Quote:

I would like to use PHD to control the mount using the ST4 port on the mount (may be on the controller). What cable do I need to go between the ST4 port and my Dell laptop? It has a RS-232 (COM?) port on the back.

The Smart EQ Pro has a St4 connection on the mount body. If you guide with a standard autoguider that has a St4 port, you just use the cable from the autoguider camera to the ST4 port on the mount.

If you are going to guide from the PC, you would need fabricate a cable from RS232 15 pin to a Rj11 6 pin connector...way too much trouble, stick with the St4 cable.

You can however, use the optional iOptron cable, RS232 to Rj9, to control the mount from a planetarium program.
Cartes du Ceil, Stellarium and Starry Night Pro all work with the mount and that cable. The cable runs from your RS232 port to the Rj9 on the bottom of the hand controller.

The same cable is needed for firmware updates to the mount.

Clear skies...

Paul

Clear skies,

Paul

jeduard
journeyman

Reged: 09/21/10

Re: Ioptron SmartEQ #3100-first look new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5970938 - 07/14/13 06:20 PM

Quote:

I received my Smart EQ today as well and did the same setup you did. The box only contained the quick start set up instructions but the full manual is now up on the iOptron website and I will print it tomorrow. My TMB 92L slid easily into the mounting saddle, and I fooled with the controller a bit, but will probably not get it out under the stars until this weekend. Overall it appears to be a nice, functional, easily portable small EQ mount for grab and go capability. Yes, many of the components are less that robust, but for $399 I don't expect diamonds. So far I am really pleased with this little mount and will have a fuller picure once I take it outdoors for a full test run.

Hello

I am very interested in knowing which is your opinion about the Ioptron SmartEQ with a TMB 92L. I guess you will have already got some conclussions. I would like to purchase one of these mounts mainly for visual portable use as an alternative to the NEQ5. I intend to use it with a 2" diagonal and a Baader Hyperion Zoom.

Best regards and thank you

Eduardo

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15239

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics