Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
ptsouth97

Reged: 03/04/12

Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: jchoy46]
      #5491520 - 10/27/12 11:04 AM

Yeah, that's what I tried. I ordered a new power board and hopefully that will do the trick.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ptsouth97

Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: ptsouth97]
      #5505589 - 11/05/12 03:19 PM

So the new power board arrived and I swapped it out with the old one. The fuse blew again in about 1 second and this time I got the tell-tale plume of smoke and smell of crispy circuits. There was no such indication of burning on the old power board. Assuming the new board was ok to begin with, am I looking at a problem with the power cord running from the battery to the mount? I was reading on another thread that the Celestron cords can be faulty and can be replaced by one from Radioshack. I don't think it's the battery,because the battery is supplying power just fine to my Nexstar 4se.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: ptsouth97]
      #5505629 - 11/05/12 03:55 PM

If you can't do so yourself, find a buddy with electronics/electrical experience and have him/her check your cable, connectors, etc.

nebultick

Reged: 10/09/12

Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: RobbW]
      #5506760 - 11/06/12 11:53 AM

probably completely unrelated but if this happens to anyone else. My dec motor on my super polaris started to die while imaging last night. I used a battery pack with 8 D cells. Well they were dead, the RA motor would still move just fine but the Dec would be all kinds of funky. I hooked up it to a 12V supply and it worked fine. I'm assuming RA motor get the power first since it is always moving.

TopherTheME
sage

Reged: 02/11/11

Loc: Rochester, MI
Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: nebultick]
      #5506795 - 11/06/12 12:18 PM

I would grab a DMM and start measuring. One thing to keep in mind is that the Dec axis binds very easily on the CG-5. If a motor is stuck and can't rotate it becomes a resistor and will pull a lot of current. Make sure your DEC axis is free by removing/loosening the Dec motor and worm gear.

ptsouth97

Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: TopherTheME]
      #5528411 - 11/19/12 05:10 PM

Ok, I have checked for continuity. Is there a schematic somewhere that shows what values I should be getting with a DMM? I searched the Internet with no luck.

Also, how do I tell how loose the dec axis should be?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4225

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics