Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Re: Proper mount for both 8" SCT and 11" SCT new [Re: Mantis707]
      #5437202 - 09/23/12 11:32 PM

You will really enjoy the G11. Your 8" CAT will be rock solid on it. It is a bit of a hoist, with counter-weights on, but I'm no longer a spring chicken and I can easily carry the tripod and mount with counter-weights out in two trips.

I presume you are planning on getting it with the Gemini 2 controller (based on the 3k price)? The software has finally matured and is working well. Join the Yahoo Losmandy and Gemini-2 discussion groups:
tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Gemini-II/messages

If you have an ipad/ipod/iphone, get the skysafari software too when you can afford it. The skywire serial connector is relatively inexpensive. The more expensive skyfi wireless is wonderful. Skysafari is like having an astronomy book in your hand that points the telescope to the object you are reading up on. I've spent many happy evenings with SkySafari, my C11HD or 5" refractor and the G11 mount.

I've not ventured into astrophotography yet, but I've got the kit to do it when I'm ready. I know the G11/C11 combo will be a bit challenging at f/10, but I plan on starting with the refractor first, and also taking advantage of the f/2 hyperstar and .7x focal reducer on the C11.

Edited by Dan Finnerty (09/23/12 11:41 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2099

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics