Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jjongmans

Reged: 02/11/12

Loc: The Netherlands
Astro-Physics Mach1GTO vs 10Micron GM1000HPS
      #5391209 - 08/28/12 10:51 AM

I'm looking for a new mount to replace my EQ6. I already did a lot of research and narrowed my scope to the Astro-Physics Mach1GTO and 10Micron GM1000HPS.

Currently I use a 10" newtonian with a focal length of 1357mm and a weight of 16kg. I'll use this telescope for imaging on the new mount. I'll replace this telescope in the near future with a 10" carbon RC with a focal length of 2000mm and a weight of 15kg.
I'm automating my setup, so a good interface with a PC is required (Maxim DL, CCD Commander, MaxPoint, etc).

The pro's and con's of the mounts

Astro-Physics
+ Proven quality
+ Good remote control - ascom driver
- Backlash
- Periodic Error

10Micron
+ High res encoder RA
- Italian electronics
- Ascom driver available?
- No reviews so far?

Who can advise me in this decision?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
Re: Astro-Physics Mach1GTO vs 10Micron GM1000HPS new [Re: jjongmans]
      #5391287 - 08/28/12 11:40 AM

You will not get much feedback on the 10micron GM1000HPS from this side of the pond. The mount is not available in the US. It looks like a great mount to me though. It is much more technologically advanced than the Mach1

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
      #5391457 - 08/28/12 01:08 PM

Quote:

Astro-Physics
- Backlash
- Periodic Error

What backlash? What periodic error?

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #5391486 - 08/28/12 01:24 PM

With the AP mount you can get it serviced and buy parts for a VERY long time. If you need help, you can call and talk to someone and get help immediately. There is a new great driver for the AP mounts that allows you to do just about anything from a computer. The AP mounts work with any software for automation.

Is this true with the 10Micron, I have no idea.
Blueman

jjongmans

Re: Astro-Physics Mach1GTO vs 10Micron GM1000HPS new [Re: blueman]
      #5391555 - 08/28/12 01:56 PM

I like AP very much, but it uses an old-fashioned drive. Nowadays you can choose between friction drive, direct drive, high res encoders, etc. all for better tracking accuracy. The specs say maximum 7arcsec PE, that can be less with newer drives, even make guiding unnecessary.
On the other hand it's a well developed mount and does his job very good.

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
      #5391673 - 08/28/12 02:52 PM

Alpine Astronomical, located in Idaho, is advertising the 10Micron mounts.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: Astro-Physics Mach1GTO vs 10Micron GM1000HPS new [Re: Calypte]
      #5392934 - 08/29/12 09:51 AM

Even if available in the states, it's hard to beat A-P service. If I wanted a high end mount in the US it would always be a Bisque Paramount or A-P. Both have technical and customer service that is excellent and are based in the US.

The 10 Micron mounts are also excellent. But for the same reason I wouldn't get and ASA mount, I wouldn't get a 10 Micron. Something having to go back for service is a 3 month "costly" affair.

Joe

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #5393006 - 08/29/12 10:45 AM

Quote:

I like AP very much, but it uses an old-fashioned drive. Nowadays you can choose between friction drive, direct drive, high res encoders, etc. all for better tracking accuracy. The specs say maximum 7arcsec PE, that can be less with newer drives, even make guiding unnecessary.
On the other hand it's a well developed mount and does his job very good.

What's wrong with old fashioned, if it gets the job done?

Also, the 7 second PE you reference is the maximum acceptable mechanical error. Most users's I've seen are reporting much lower. And with PEC running, it is much lower still. From the reports that I've seen, using the Mach1 with PEC enabled and APCC driving the mount, long unguided exposures are quite feasible.

I had a similar conversation the other day regarding a friend who's interested in an ASA mount. A few of us have chosen AP for our mount upgrades, and a part of me thinks that he wants to be different.

At the end of the day, there are a number of mounts that just work. I'm familiar with AP and Paramount and, less so, ASA and 10Micron (but everything I've heard suggests that they are very fine instruments). Yes, there are differences between them, but it seems like they all perform so well that these differences don't matter in a practical way.

To me, it almost comes down to geography. If you are in the United States, I would look first to AP and Paramount. In Europe, I would probably look at ASA and 10Micron. From both a service standpoint, and various economic factors, it just makes sense to me to buy "locally" if possible.

Jared
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.
      #5393054 - 08/29/12 11:12 AM

If I were in Europe, I'd probably go with the 10Micron. The availability of service and support would be the overriding factor for me. Any of the high end mounts is quite capable of meeting the requirements of long exposure astrophotography that is not limited by tracking accuracy (within the capacity of the mount).

As to some of your listed pro's and con's for each...

- Backlash: I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't relevant in RA (since the motors never reverse direction in tracking), and in declination you simply make sure you adjust only in one direction (whichever is required by imperfections in your polar alignment). It is more a theoretical minus than a practical one
- Periodic Error: If you are planning on doing long, unguided exposures and will be able to leave your mount and scope permanently setup, then this is a legitimate advantage for the 10Micron mount. If, however, this is a portable system or you plan on running an autoguider, this is a total non-issue. The amount of PA in an A-P mount is low enough that, with an autoguider, there is virtually no image degradation from periodic error. Seeing totally overwhelms PA even at a good site. Your autoguider will easily be able to correct for a 2 arcsecond PTV periodic error (typical after PEMPro). For a permanent site, the lack of periodic error in the 10Micron seems cool and may well allow unguided imaging. Personally, I like having an autoguider in place--I'm even making the jump to AO.
- Italian Electronics: Don't know what the track record is on the 10Micron electronics. The mounts have a good reputation, but they haven't been out in the field as long as the A-P mounts, but this wouldn't be a deciding factor for me if I were in your shoes. Even the A-P mounts fail sometimes, and getting support easily is more critical, in my opinion. I have had one cable break (internal wire) and a hand controller go bad on my Mach1 GTO. You just need a responsive, supportive company standing behind the product. If 10Micron stands behind the product you should be good to go.
-Ascom driver: This could matter since you want to control the mount remotely. Check with 10Micron.
- No reviews so far: I think this is just because of limited distribution outside of Europe. The American market still dominates amateur astronomy. Call 10Micron and ask for some customer references, then follow-up with the customers. I bet they have actual owners you could talk to.

As I said at the beginning, assuming you live in Europe I would get the 10Micron.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Re: Astro-Physics Mach1GTO vs 10Micron GM1000HPS new [Re: Jared]
      #5393095 - 08/29/12 11:35 AM

No doubt the PE issue has become over hyped. Smooth PE of any level is easily guided out. The newer A-P (1600) and Bisque mounts however, AIM for a lower PE and auto drive correction. So longer unguided subs are now possible...well, soon anyway. To me, this is a great advantage however puts these - Bisque ME/MX (ProTrack) and A-P (1600 abs encoder) mounts, in a separate class.

That aside, I agree location would most likely be a motivator to me. But note, a remotely located user with a Bisque Paramount ME in the mountains of a foreign (to me) country can expect a part to be shipped and a call with Dan or Steve Bisque to walk them through a repair if required. Oh, and if they have pointing issues they can expect Patrick Wallace to personally review their data and assist by engaging in the Bisque forums.

You can't put a price on that.

Best,

Joe

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: Astro-Physics Mach1GTO vs 10Micron GM1000HPS new [Re: jmiele]
      #5393991 - 08/29/12 09:40 PM

Well, apparently Bisque did put a price on that ... sorry Joe, just couldn't resist ... :-)

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Re: Astro-Physics Mach1GTO vs 10Micron GM1000HPS new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #5394042 - 08/29/12 10:21 PM

LOL, indeed they did. As I've said before, I respect the mounts as much as the optics in this hobby. I'd love to have a 10micron to fiddle with. I also seriously considered an ASA. My concern with ASA was the problems they had with their software and the fact that you were married to it. Not sure how much has changed since I last looked.

Joe

jjongmans

#5396936 - 08/31/12 03:42 PM

I made up my mind, it's going to be the ASA DDM60PRO, with direct drive and high res encoders.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

#5396997 - 08/31/12 04:35 PM

I would join the ASA Yahoo forum and see were they are at with the software these day. That aside, they look like a nice piece of kit. That's an expensive mount.

Joe

jjongmans

#5397110 - 08/31/12 06:01 PM

Thanks Joe, I will certainly do that.

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

#5397149 - 08/31/12 06:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks Joe, I will certainly do that.

Maybe you shouldn't. Ignorance is bliss. I read there about quite a few nasty problems with ASA mounts.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Astro-Physics Mach1GTO vs 10Micron GM1000HPS new [Re: Alph]
      #5397169 - 08/31/12 06:49 PM

You unpack the Mach1 GTO, put it together, and use it. They saw it work within spec and loaded a three rotation PEC correction before it shipped, so just follow the manual and it will literally do everything stated on the first night.

That's why you get a Mach1.

-Rich

jjongmans

#5397202 - 08/31/12 07:23 PM

Quote:

Maybe you shouldn't. Ignorance is bliss. I read there about quite a few nasty problems with ASA mounts.

Most issues are related to 'not understanding' the mount. It's a direct drive mount and it's a different concept compared with 'conventional' drives. It's has to be tuned to your specific setup. People who are able to control this mount can have unguided frames of 30 minutes at a focal length of 2500mm, because of the sky and tracking models, high res encoder feedback and correcting movement 100 times per second. I'm skeptical about this, but I believe it can work beter than a conventional AP.

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

#5397261 - 08/31/12 08:09 PM

Quote:

Most issues are related to 'not understanding' the mount.

Hmm? Have you already read all posts in that forum
Just on the front page, there are complaints about tracking issues which the manufacturer is unable to resolve.

jjongmans

#5397291 - 08/31/12 08:32 PM

Yes, I read most of them

Most remaining 'tracking' issues are because of mirror shifts or flex in the focuser. Nothing to do with the mount, but not helping unguided imaging either. The MLPT feature in the software should be able to fix that. But like I said; I'm skeptical and do not have the illusion to take unguided images at 2000mm. But I do believe that the remaining error is very small an could be guided out with very few corrections.

EDIT: Also some knowledge about PID controllers is needed and it's very easy to get an unstable (oscillating) loop.

Edited by jjongmans (08/31/12 08:35 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3457

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics