Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Wembley2000
sage

Reged: 01/07/12

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: rmollise]
      #5427280 - 09/18/12 12:22 PM

Well tech support got back with me and said some are loud and some are quiet.......maybe after usage it will quiet down.

No quite what I was expecting, looks like I got a loud one.

Wem

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: rmollise]
      #5427289 - 09/18/12 12:27 PM

Quote:

The most recent EQ-6es do have an adjustment for the reticle illuminator.

Glad to hear. I do think Skywatcher has some catching up to do with some of the innovations of iOptron. I hope to do a comparison between the NEQ-6 and iEQ45 at some point.

I still haven't decided whether to hang on to the NEQ6 - it will depend on whether the iEQ45 really can carry my 10" f/4.5 Newt (at 48" and 30 lb.) with the same aplomb as the NEQ6.

Also, I'm unsure of the cold weather performance of the iEQ45 - the specs say it's good to -20º C, and the hand controller seems to have a built-in warming function.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: Wembley2000]
      #5427290 - 09/18/12 12:27 PM

Hmm, not encouraging. I've been watching this mount and considering as an Atlas alternative if I ever need to upgrade. But based on that comment, I think I'd stay with an Atlas, or perhaps a GM8.

Wembley2000
sage

Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5427372 - 09/18/12 01:07 PM

When I get home tonight I will just let it run around each axis a few times unloaded at max speed to see if I can loosen it up a bit, maybe it is just tight.

Wem

dvb
different Syndrome.

#5427849 - 09/18/12 05:11 PM

Mine was more quiet last night, tracking with the 8" f/4 Newt, than it was on the first night, with the 80mm refractor. Tracking was essentially silent. Not sure if that was just because it had run in a bit, or because of the greater weight of the 200mm Newt over the 80 mm refractor.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: dvb]
      #5428171 - 09/18/12 08:16 PM

Mine is noisier when it's out of balance. Are you doing the balance routine through the hand controller?

Wembley2000
sage

Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5428378 - 09/18/12 10:12 PM

Yeah, I did balance through the hand control and like normal the noise was about the same. Today I was messing with it in the garage and noticed the plastic motor covers tend to amplify the sound I may try dampening them with some foam pieces or something.
Maybe I am just getting used to it, but it did seem a little quieter in the garage.

I am going to try a pempro run tomorrow on it.

Wem

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
      #5428392 - 09/18/12 10:21 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Tracking should be almost silent otherwise there could be a mechanical problem e.g. with the spring tensioned whorm not going into the correct position or beeing stuck causing too much friction. Certainly something to check on a new mount out of the box.

Slewing will be loud to some extend with those servo drives no matter what brand the mount is... a well made stepper drive is by far more quiet!

The iEQ45 is the right choice if you want to work mobile, it is far lighter than the EQ6/Atlas.
In terms of load capability I would go with an EQ6 when permanently installed.

just my 2 cents
Chris

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5429130 - 09/19/12 12:14 PM

Quote:

Servo motors if they are stalled / jammed and the motor control circuit is not properly done, you can burn out either the motor or the circuit (a known problem on CGEM's).

This is not a "known problem on CGEM's." It is a known issue with servo systems in general due to their basic design, be it on a telescope mount or a any other machine. That's why you use belts that can slip or gears with plastic teeth that strip before serious damage is done. I have yet to see a CGEM with damaged electronics due to a stalled motor but I have seen stripped motor gearbox gears and have seen damaged electronics in other mounts when this has happened.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: EFT]
      #5430282 - 09/20/12 02:44 AM

Chris - I have to agree and it's a great compliment to the Tak 'FS' scopes
nice picture you posted... I've yet to get a glam shot of mine on the 45.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5430328 - 09/20/12 04:09 AM

Ed, the CGEM I currently have had went back for warranty repair for a busted motor board (according to the previous owner).

I have also "heard" of others with the same issue. In fact isn't that the whole point of the uprated H-bridge in the CGEM DX? the DX has the same motors (according to Derick over on TeamCelestron) so certainly looks like a "known problem" to me.

I've heard of similar issues with Gemini 1 servos.

Funny one never hears about burned out Mach1 motor boards or motors though. Seems that a properly designed servo controller shouldn't blindly up the current when it detects a stall or slowdown.

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
      #5430403 - 09/20/12 06:27 AM

Thanks Jim, yes the color corresponds very well...
And it works well, no noise problems.

regards
Chris

Wembley2000
sage

Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: chboss]
      #5430445 - 09/20/12 07:33 AM

Well, the mount is still noisy while tracking but it may be quieting down slightly.

I did get a chance to run pempro lastnight, results were poor to say the least. 54 arcsec peak to peak, looks like its time to dissassemble and see if something is wrong.

Wem

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5430525 - 09/20/12 09:04 AM

Well my CGEM is at 42" so pretty much in the same range. As I understand from Ed this is at the bottom of the barrel for these types of mounts, but not end of the world.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
      #5430608 - 09/20/12 09:58 AM

I was fortunate to have some nice skies last night so when I was out observing I listened closely again to my iEQ45. It's nearly silent while tracking and slewing is not anything that I would describe as loud. I'm thinking you might have an issue that needs either a return or servicing if you still describe tracking as "noisy".

dvb
different Syndrome.

#5430708 - 09/20/12 11:08 AM

". . . looks like its time to dissassemble and see if something is wrong."

Is it time to dismantle and see if something it wrong?

And probably void the warranty in the process?

Or is it time to take advantage of the iOptron return policy and send it back for a refund?

Sounds like you are not getting the support from iOptron you should be getting. To be told "some are noisier" is a very poor comment on their Quality Control and on their customer support.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5430715 - 09/20/12 11:13 AM

Quote:

Ed, the CGEM I currently have had went back for warranty repair for a busted motor board (according to the previous owner).

I have also "heard" of others with the same issue. In fact isn't that the whole point of the uprated H-bridge in the CGEM DX? the DX has the same motors (according to Derick over on TeamCelestron) so certainly looks like a "known problem" to me.

I've heard of similar issues with Gemini 1 servos.

Funny one never hears about burned out Mach1 motor boards or motors though. Seems that a properly designed servo controller shouldn't blindly up the current when it detects a stall or slowdown.

I've seen motor boards go bad in both servo and stepper systems and only one that I can say with a fair amount of confidence was the result of an axis jam. In fact, I have seen more motors and gears damaged because of this than motor boards. Unless there is conclusive proof that it was the result of an overload due to a jammed axis, then it is more likely that it is just an unrelated failure (something unfortunately common in less expensive mounts). The greater power that the CGEM DX board is able to apply actually presents the risk of doing damage to the motor gearbox should a jam occur. I have never seen anything to suggest that the CGEM DX board is any more protected from overload, only that it can supply more power.

As usual, you get what you pay for. Perhaps the AP mounts have better overload protection built in or a better clutch slip system that avoids complete jams, but the fact that this problem can happen on Synta, Meade, and Losmandy mounts (and who knows which others) suggests that it is not a known CGEM problem but, as I said, a known problem with servo systems (probably less-expensive servo systems) in general. You can't apply your personal experience (or the reported experience of a previous owner) to all CGEM mounts.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: EFT]
      #5430742 - 09/20/12 11:26 AM

Ok Ed, I believe we agree on this but your definition is more rigorous. I shouldn't be picking on the CGEM.

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5430744 - 09/20/12 11:28 AM

Quote:

I was fortunate to have some nice skies last night so when I was out observing I listened closely again to my iEQ45. It's nearly silent while tracking and slewing is not anything that I would describe as loud.

Same here. My iEQ45 is nowhere near silent when slewing but considerably quieter than either my HEQ5 or my CPC1100. When tracking it is silent to all intents and purposes ... it's actually very hard to hear it running from a range of one foot in a very quiet room, let alone in a normal outdoor environment where there is always some wind / surf / traffic noise.

Wembley2000
sage

Re: IEQ 45 Question new [Re: dvb]
      #5430823 - 09/20/12 12:15 PM

Quote:

". . . looks like its time to dissassemble and see if something is wrong."

Is it time to dismantle and see if something it wrong?

And probably void the warranty in the process?

Or is it time to take advantage of the iOptron return policy and send it back for a refund?

Sounds like you are not getting the support from iOptron you should be getting. To be told "some are noisier" is a very poor comment on their Quality Control and on their customer support.

Yeah, ioptron support actually sent me 2 set of instructions. One of them shows how to disassemble the motor assembly to get the worm out of the block, and adjusting the worm. I will send them a note about voiding the warranty if I undertake thier procedures. Also the worm timing belt pulleys are not made very true, they both (ra and dec)have a quite a bit of wobble to them.

Wem

Edited by Wembley2000 (09/20/12 12:16 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2817

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics