Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP
      #5425896 - 09/17/12 05:28 PM

I have been using old StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG); just tried a new 3MP SSAG but am unable to get it going. Have called Orion to no avail, folks at the tech support were not very helpful. One person running the show pretty much at their tech support.

In short, I get 'Unknown device' in Windows7 64-bit and can't seem to get the new drivers recognize the new camera. I ‘do’ get a 'Ding…' when I plug it in; so Windows knows there is an unknown device. I tried new drivers as well as the one that came with the camera on a CD without any luck. The red LED on camera doesn't come on or I have yet to see it on. I have been using PHD 1.13.0b fine with old SSAG. Help would be appreciated before I pack it send it back.

While we are on the subject what other autoguiders are good ones; e.g., between SBIG ST-i and Loadstar Autoguider, which one is better? Are there any others in that class?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mantis707

Reged: 08/14/12

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: mmalik]
      #5425901 - 09/17/12 05:33 PM

Theres also a SSAG 'solitaire' autoguider....I am wondering basically about the same guiders, including the 'solitaire'

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky
Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: Mantis707]
      #5425916 - 09/17/12 05:43 PM

I suggest trying to download the latest version of PHD. 1.13.2 from Stark Labs.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5425919 - 09/17/12 05:44 PM

I'm just getting into AP myself but have seen that everyone with the Loadstar loves it.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: davebuechler]
      #5425925 - 09/17/12 05:47 PM

I'll try the new PHD, but I would like to hear from the folks about the basic problem of camera not getting recognized in Windows (i.e., unknown device). I have tried supplying the downloaded and CD drivers that it came with, to no avail. Wondering if camera is defective at hardware level?

cclark

Reged: 07/29/08

#5425954 - 09/17/12 06:02 PM

If what you have is what I think it is (based on looking at Orion's site), I believe it is a SSPIAG (Starshoot Planetary Imager & Autoguider). I would suggest searching using that phrase (either SSPIAG or the name) and see what comes up. I have seen a few reports of issues, but I am not familiar enough with it to help troubleshoot further.

I hope this helps,

Chris

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: cclark]
      #5426070 - 09/17/12 07:25 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

I think I may have figured out the problem; but it was quite convoluted, and onus lies on Orion not properly documenting it or even supporting it when I call tech support. The guy at tech support simply said he didn't know much about these cameras, end of story.

In short, following is the difference in folder structure that gets created when you install 1.3MP drivers (Download from the website...) vs. 3MP drivers (that came on the CD with the camera). I ended up manually pointing the 'Unknown device' to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\QHYCCD\QHY5T_Drivers\driver' folder which has SSHRPIAG.inf file and the new drivers for 3MP camera. At this point, OS ended up recognizing the camera.

Note: At some point I did executed SS3MP_Driver.exe from the CD to fix the issue but that didn't help and probably was not the right approach anyway. But, note where they stuck the EXEs anyway, under docs folder.

To make long story short, here is what you need to do to make 3MP working:

1. Let the CD auto-run.
2. Click 'Install Camera Driver' on the GUI that comes up.
3. At this point your camera should get recognized; if it doesn't which was the case with me, follow the next steps.
4. Open device manager and update driver by pointing to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\QHYCCD\QHY5T_Drivers\driver' folder that got created during step #2.
5. Windows should be able to recognize the camera and 'Unknown device' should disappear from the 'Device Manager'.

Note: Above instructions apply to Windows7 (mine was 64-bit, but instructions should work for 32-bit as well.)

IMPORTANT: I have yet to test the camera with the PHD/scope yet, but at least 'Unknown device' issue in Windows has been resolved. Pending PHD testing… I am able to connect to the camera via Orion PlanCap software that came on the CD, and camera seem to be working.

Edit: I had the call escalated at Orion so someone higher up called and I gave them what I have written here. Situation is such at Camera works with 'PlanCam' software but I still can't connect via PHD. I get 'no camera' error. I don't have ST-4 cable plugged-in at this time, but will try it soon and update what transpires. Another strange behavior I and Orion engineer noted is that although camera is working with PlanCam, there is NO Orion device to be found under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' which is puzzling. Bottom line, PHD testing will tell the real story. Stay tuned...

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5426125 - 09/17/12 08:03 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

Update: Here is where new Autoguider ends up being in Windows 'Device Manager'.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5426134 - 09/17/12 08:10 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

Here is the composite of the SSAG 3MP problem with PHD that still remains to be resolved...

jerryyyyy
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/11

Loc: Stanford, California
      #5427114 - 09/18/12 11:00 AM

Suggest you post the problem over at the Yahoo group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/stark-labs-astronomy-software/

Pretty knowledgable over there.

BTW I use the SSAutoguider selection NOT the SSAutoguider and Planetary Imager... this is an old product.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: jerryyyyy]
      #5427574 - 09/18/12 02:44 PM

Quote:

I use the SSAutoguider selection NOT the SSAutoguider and Planetary Imager... this is an old product.

I have used both options, error is the same. 3MP 'IS' the Planetary Imager and Guider by the way.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5427575 - 09/18/12 02:46 PM

Quote:

I'm just getting into AP myself but have seen that everyone with the Loadstar loves it.

Thanks; I am tempted to get Lodestar as well.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5427595 - 09/18/12 03:00 PM

So let me ask the question one last time before I pack this thing and send it back.

Has anyone used 3MP SSAG with PHD for guiding successfully?

Camera works with PlanCam software that came with it, so hardware is not the problem and camera is working. It just will NOT work with PHD; at least I can't get it to even after getting a call back from SSAG engineer (not the tech support who simply refused to help citing they don't know these cameras and can't help) who is looking into it.

On a side note, very dissatisfied with Orion tech support; seems like one or at best two tech folks (Rich/Marshall) who don't know about the products are taking the calls! When I called only, one was available to support entire Orion tech support call queue.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5427606 - 09/18/12 03:06 PM

Get on the Stark Labs Yahoogroup and ask Craig about this...

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: rmollise]
      #5427711 - 09/18/12 04:05 PM

Quote:

Get on the Stark Labs Yahoogroup and ask Craig about this...

Will do; Thx. May go with Lodestar instead. Not worth spending too much time on SSAG when it should work out of the box. Have been using 1.3MP SSAG for long time, guess 3MP needs work.

SMigol
sage

Reged: 07/30/10

Loc: California, USA
      #5427820 - 09/18/12 04:58 PM

I have used this camera with PHD. I used ASCOM camera controls in PHD to get it to connect.

Note that you will set the sensitivity within ASCOm when it connects, so testing during the day will require a reconnect at night to set the sensitivity properly.

When mating this camera to the ST80, I was able to guide on bright stars. However, because of the small size of the pixels and the color matrix, sensitivity is pretty weak.

It does better as a planetary camera.

WillCarney
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/08/09

Loc: Bloomington, ILL
Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: SMigol]
      #5427844 - 09/18/12 05:09 PM

While I have not used the new camera-guider I have used a SSAG for a number of years. Every time I have a problem is the ASCOM gone FUBAR. I reinstall ASCOM then the camera driver and it works fine. I have done this at least seven or eight times on my Vista laptop.

It does not matter if you choose ASCOM or SSAG in PHD. If your ASCOM is FUBAR it still won't work.

William

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: SMigol]
      #5428304 - 09/18/12 09:31 PM

Quote:

I have used this camera with PHD. I used ASCOM camera controls in PHD to get it to connect.

I don't use ASCOM; I use ST-4 guiding which doesn't require ASCOM. That's how I have been using old 1.3MP SSAG for long time and my intention was to use it the same way with new 3MP SSAG, which doesn't seem to work. In short, ASCOM is NOT needed for ST-4 guiding.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: WillCarney]
      #5428317 - 09/18/12 09:41 PM

Quote:

I reinstall ASCOM then the camera driver and it works fine

You must be using serial guiding? I think ST-4 is much simpler.

jerryyyyy
Pooh-Bah

#5428613 - 09/19/12 01:29 AM

I posted the question over at the Yahoo Group. They saved me when I stated using Ph.D..

RESPONSE:

Not sure if it's the same. I am using the Orion Starshoot 3MP Planetary Imager & Autoguider with PhD and Win7 64-bit. Works perfectly for me.

MarkS

On 19 September 2012 01:28, jerryyyyyyyyyy wrote:

There is a person at CloudyNights that cannot get PhD to work with this, I believe, new variant of SSAG. He has a 64-bit system and it appears to be a driver problem. Camera produces "Failed to Open the Camera" error message when attempting to select it.

Any hope here?

Edited by jerryyyyy (09/19/12 02:02 AM)

WillCarney
Pooh-Bah

#5428909 - 09/19/12 09:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I reinstall ASCOM then the camera driver and it works fine

You must be using serial guiding? I think ST-4 is much simpler.

The SSAG plugs into the USB. Uses ST-4 to connect to Atlas.
Last night it screwed up again. Had to unintall ASCOM and reinstall. Uninstalled PHD then it worked fine "On-camera" after it's reinstall.

Despite using ST-4 if ASCOM is FUBAR it won't work. At least on my setup.

I was getting the "can't find camera" error. Which meant the drivers were FUBAR.
William

Edited by WillCarney (09/19/12 09:39 AM)

rmollise
Postmaster

#5428970 - 09/19/12 10:24 AM

It's not clear to me exactly where your problem lies...

If the camera is not recognized by Windows and a driver properly installed, you can forget missing with PHD, it will never work.

If this is your problem, the first thing to do is delete the present drivers. Download the drivers for your OS from Orion, and install, paying particular attention to any documentation for the camera that says anything about _when_ you should plug in the camera during the process.

WillCarney
Pooh-Bah

#5429039 - 09/19/12 11:09 AM

For some reason on my computer it's always been a problem with ASCOM. Most of the time I uninstall it and reinstall it and the problem goes away for awhile.

Like last night. The computer recognized the camera but PHD would NOT connect till I reinstalled ASCOM. Did not matter if I used "on camera" or "ASCOM" in the PHD menu. It still would not connect till ASCOM was reinstalled. This has happened at least ten or twelve times now and it's ALWAYS the ASCOM gone FUBAR.

Other laptops may vary but mine screws up ASCOM routinely and reinstalling it almost always fixes the problem.

William

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: WillCarney]
      #5429183 - 09/19/12 12:54 PM

If you have to use ASCOM, it's because PHD is not supporting the camera, I suppose. If the computer recognizes the camera, next step is to get with Craig on the Yahoogroup.

jerryyyyy
Pooh-Bah

#5429330 - 09/19/12 02:22 PM

From the Yahoo Group:

No tricks with the install. But when I connect to my camera, I have to choose the Ascom v5 driver, not the 3MP driver. Apparently, the driver is outdated and Orion hasn't updated it yet.

Everything else worked out of the box.

MarkS

On 18 September 2012 23:00, jerryyyyyyyyyy wrote:

Thanks, let me post this over there. No tricks with the install?

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5429544 - 09/19/12 04:46 PM

Quote:

Not sure if it's the same.

Thanks for posting the question; yes it is the same camera we are talking about (the 3MP one). Appreciate your efforts; I have actually returned it, will be getting Lodemaster most likely. I am quite familiar with the setup; just that camera wouldn't work with my ST-4 setup (i.e., without installing ASCOM). It is likely folks are using ASCOM and it may be working for them, but I don't use ASCOM, that may be the only difference I could think of. In short, ST-4 connectivity via PHD does NOT work as of now with 3MP SSAG and I have let an engineer (John) know about it at Orion and he understood the problem; but as always he never got back to me even after he said he would.

My suggestion, if you intend to use 3MP SSAG for PHD ST-4 ONLY guiding, this camera has issues...until they are fixed.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5429553 - 09/19/12 04:52 PM

Quote:

If you have to use ASCOM, it's because PHD is not supporting the camera, I suppose. If the computer recognizes the camera, next step is to get with Craig on the Yahoogroup.

I think you understand the problem; yes computer recognizes the camera; it is very likely PHD is not yet supporting 3MP SSAG (via ST-4). That may be the whole point; I used the latest version of PHD to no avail; Orion should have worked this out ahead of time; just don't want to go through the effort myself...just not worth it. Returning it for something better!

Edit: I think you were responding to the other post, but this is still relevant.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5450512 - 10/01/12 05:24 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

I eneded up returning SSAG 3MP due to reasons described above.

I just got Lodestar Autoguider... camera; here is 5sec shot via PHD with lens cap on. Are these dead pixels? I tried different caps with same result. Shouldn't new camera have zero dead pixels if that's what they are?

rmollise
Postmaster

#5450516 - 10/01/12 05:25 PM

Hot pixels, I'd say with probably a few dead ones here and there. And I would certainly expect a camera like this to have a few dead pixels.

Edited by rmollise (10/01/12 05:26 PM)

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5450525 - 10/01/12 05:31 PM

Quote:

Hot pixels, I'd say with probably a few dead ones here and there. And I would certainly expect a camera like this to have a few dead pixels.

Thanks; is this acceptable quality for a new camera? In comparison SBIG's ST-i... advertises '0 column, cluster or dead pixels'?

rmollise
Postmaster

#5450575 - 10/01/12 05:58 PM

Is what? I only see what appears to be a dead pixel or two, but I can only guess. A bad pixel will always be in the same position. I don't see how a couple will make much difference. This is a guide camera, if you've got a dead pixel, just remember not to try to guide on it.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5450612 - 10/01/12 06:27 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Here is a 5sec. dark I took via PHD; let me know your thoughts?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5450628 - 10/01/12 06:38 PM

This is with the Loadstar not the Orion autoguider? That seems to be a lot of hot pixels... I would count them and talk to their tech support. You may want to post the picture in one of the Astrophotography forums.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5450697 - 10/01/12 07:33 PM

Quote:

This is with the Loadstar not the Orion autoguider?

Yes, this is with Lodestar Autoguider; I am thinking I'll do a dark frame at night (colder temp) just to make sure they are not hot pixels. I also don't like the harsh vertical lines of the dye cut. At this price, there should be some sense of quality.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5450717 - 10/01/12 07:41 PM

The pic you included in the earlier post is with the lens cap on? Don't see how they could be anything but hot pixels for that short of an exposure. You really should move this to a AP forum.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5450736 - 10/01/12 07:51 PM

Quote:

The pic you included in the earlier post is with the lens cap on?

Yes, the first pic was with the lens cap on. Let me try a cold temp exposure and post results. Have also asked the same in AP forum. Thx

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5450810 - 10/01/12 08:32 PM

Looks like my lodestar. You need to use darks with it; it's still the best guide camera on the market. Point it at a DSO and you'll get a good picture of it on your guide screen with 3 sec exposures..

Lodestars are notorious for their hot pixels; it's uncooled.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: Raginar]
      #5450825 - 10/01/12 08:39 PM

There is no way you _won't_ have hot pixels like these with this uncooled camera.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5451025 - 10/01/12 10:41 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Quote:

Lodestars are notorious for their hot pixels; it's uncooled.

Thanks for the info; see if you could post a dark frame from yours for comparison. Here is a 5sec dark I took with somewhat cold camera.

EricRemy

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Quebec, Canada
      #5451448 - 10/02/12 07:56 AM

Found this neat little trick on the net for the unrecognizable camera issue. Apparantly, it would have something to do with static electricty on the main board. The trick is to shut down the laptop or desktop, remove the battery or power cord and press the power button for 30 secs.It supposedly discharges any static left in there. Every time I have the unknown hardware issue with appropriate driver installed, this neat little trick works.
It worked when my DSI was not recognised. Couldn't hurt to try it.

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: EricRemy]
      #5451495 - 10/02/12 08:46 AM

Remember that PHD will automatically stretch the histogram so a few "warm" pixels will be very visible but not a problem.
Use the automatic dark substraction feature in PHD and take it out under the stars, you will see these pixels will no longer be visible.

I can tell you that my venerable Meade DSI pro produces a dark image that looks like a night airplane approach over Tokyo.

regards
Chris

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: chboss]
      #5451909 - 10/02/12 12:56 PM

really Chris?

i have a meade DSI pro, quite old too.. but it doesn't have column defects like the above lodestar..!

then again it's just a friggin' guide camera.. if i were taking DSO images with it then i would care.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5452294 - 10/02/12 05:11 PM

That's a stretched shot above. This is my 5 sec and 30 sec darks pulled in fits files from maxim to photoshop then saved as jpeg's. In Maxim, my darks look like yours because of the stretch Maxim does.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5452662 - 10/02/12 09:13 PM

Quote:

but it doesn't have column defects like the above lodestar..!

I wouldn't be worried too much about column defects if it (Lodestar) would guide properly. But I am not having much luck guiding with it using PHD. PHD couldn't guide and kept alarming (no error, just the usual audio output of star getting lost) on decent mid-range stars in this field. I made sure I wasn't guiding on too bright or too dim stars. Long story short, first real test of this camera has been a failure.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5452698 - 10/02/12 09:31 PM

Quote:

In Maxim, my darks look like yours because of the stretch Maxim does.

Thanks; results I had posted were stretched as well.

Here is an re-cap of this thread for everyone:

1. I use 1.5MP SSAG which guides fine and I happy with its performance.

2. I tried 3MP SSAG in an effort to be able to guide on dimmer stars but couldn't get PHD to work with 3MP SSAG, details above.

3. I am trying Lodestar Autoguider now, whose discussion is underway.

I am well versed in guiding from imaging perspective; I was hoping to get to a better guiding solution than good old 1.5MP SSAG but it is turning out to be a frustrating experience.

I had posted Lodestar question in AP forum as well, you may read about it here...

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5452806 - 10/02/12 10:45 PM

You're using stars that are over-saturated. Reduce your exposure time. I had the same issue with my loadstar when I first got it; it's *too* sensitive.

Good luck,

Enny

Reged: 02/07/12

#5455161 - 10/04/12 02:05 PM

I also have the StarShoot 3MP Planetary Imager & AutoGuider and try to use it for guiding with PHD. This camera is different to the Orion cameras listed in PHD.
It detects the camera when I use ASCOM in PHD but the picture/capture is too dark and I cannot get it brighter (I increased the gain in the ASCOM setup from 50% to 98%, no difference).
The camera actually seems to be an QHY5T. On their website they list an ASCOM driver http://qhyccd.com/download.html not sure if that is the same as on the Orion CD. Haven't checked it yet.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: Enny]
      #5455865 - 10/04/12 10:36 PM

My Lodestar looks just as bad. CCDSoft didn't like it. I made a master bias frame for it, put it into the autoguider image reduction group and poof, no more hot pixels. CCDSoft was happy.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: StarShoot Autoguider (SSAG) 3MP new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5474434 - 10/17/12 02:54 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

My quest of a decent autoguider has led me from 3MP SSAG to Lodestar to NOW SBIG ST-i monochrome. I ended up sending both SSAG and Lodestar back after not being able to get PHD to work and having elongated hot/dead pixels, respectively.

In short, I have happy to report that I finally have found what I have been looking for in SBIG ST-i monochrome whose 1sec dark as follows and whose configuration/functionality with PHD has been a success!

Note: SBIG ST-i has NO column defects or dead pixels (in comparison to Lodestar)

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5474436 - 10/17/12 02:56 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Few pics of SBIG ST-i monochrome autoguider I just bought:

Front:

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5474437 - 10/17/12 02:56 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Back:

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5474444 - 10/17/12 03:11 AM

To sum up:

•I would NOT recommend 3MP SSAG for autoguiding since I was NOT able to get it configured with PHD to even tell you about its performance

1MP SSAG remains a good entry level autoguider, as always...

Lodestar seems to have a ton of defects (column defects/elongated hot/dead pixels in my case...), which may not interfere with guiding but not a good thing to have at this price tag

ST-i monochrome seems best when it comes to NOT having column or dead pixel defects (Note: I have tested ST-i with PHD and it works great)

MPT
sage

Reged: 10/23/07

Loc: Savage, MN
      #5474631 - 10/17/12 08:25 AM

Hey Mike -

Was there a reason that the SSAG at Casby was not working for you? Any chance you could capture Jupiter through the 10" with the lodestar/st-i some night? I would love to see how each of these function as an imager as well.

-Marcus

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3844

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics