Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount
      #5443411 - 09/27/12 12:12 PM

This weekend I'm planning to purchase my very own CGEM-DX this will be my AP platform I just ordered an Autoguider with the Autoguider port which the DSI doesn't have. But I wanted your thoughts on what would be your TOP 10 accessories. I have a few small refractors 66mm 72mm and 80mm I plan on purchasing an RC 8" or RC 10" down the road.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
darbyvet
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Seneca Falls, New York
Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5443464 - 09/27/12 12:49 PM

The anti vibration foot pads work well in preventing shaking as you walk around the mount. I also like the replacment knobs from ADMaccessories to replace the saddle knobs and the azimuth and altitude adjustment knobs.
If you want to have a variety of scopes on the mount ADm also makes a nice replacement saddle.
My final "accessory" was to get my cgem hypertuned by Ed Thomas.It is so much smoother now than it was before.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: darbyvet]
      #5443530 - 09/27/12 01:34 PM

Quote:

The anti vibration foot pads work well in preventing shaking as you walk around the mount.

For a CGEM DX? I've been told that the DX is too heavy for the anti-vibration pads.

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Reged: 06/21/04

Loc: Mid-Michigan
Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5443666 - 09/27/12 02:53 PM

Best thing I ever bought for my CGEM was a Atlas Half Pier (fits the CGEM/CGEM DX) and replacing the saddle and azimuth screws with ones from Scoptstuff. The 8" RC is a great match for this size mount.

cclark

Reged: 07/29/08

Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: Jason B]
      #5443813 - 09/27/12 04:40 PM

Here are my top four:

1. Hand control extension cord - the stock cord is much too short. Either from scopestuff, or roll your own from monoprice.com (straight through 6p6c and a female to female connector - also straight through).

2. ADM dual saddle. I could not get a reliable balance with a Losmandy (D) dovetail and the stock saddle (it held the scope slightly off center). The ADM saddle fixed this issue and provided a much better fit for the dovetail.

3. Hypertune (either the DIY kit or full service from Ed at deepspaceproducts.com). The mount is so much smoother and easier to balance.

4. Pelican 1610 case. I used the shipping box for a few weeks, but it was a bear to lug around this way. The 1610 has wheels and a handle to roll it around - much easier and good protection.

Congrats on the mount!

Chris

orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/09/10

Loc: Croatia
Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: cclark]
      #5443836 - 09/27/12 04:53 PM

6" APO...

Knez

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: orion69]
      #5444512 - 09/28/12 12:20 AM

Hi,
I agree on the handbox extension cord, I need one myself. Its real short. But the mount is solid and great. I'm only 5'6" and my mounts about 5'4" set up at my latitude plus ota, so I use a 2 step stool when setting up to look at polaris.

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Reged: 06/21/04

Loc: Mid-Michigan
Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: neilson]
      #5444738 - 09/28/12 07:04 AM

I didn't even think of the extension. I have one too and it is a must buy!

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: Jason B]
      #5445015 - 09/28/12 11:12 AM

Chris
I placed a order for Hypertune.

The Pelican 1610 case did you use the foam that comes in the case or transfer the packing foam that is was shipped in? Also what all fit into the case do you have a photo. My thought is the mount to heavy for the soft foam that comes with the case?

Hand control extension cord seems to be a command requested item.

Jason
I was reading up on the RC8 vs RC10 and they recommend CGEM pro with it larger payload capacity So I think like you the RC8 is going to be a good match.

Anti-vibration pads how many of you use them with this mount?

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

#5445197 - 09/28/12 12:55 PM

Quote:

Anti-vibration pads how many of you use them with this mount?

As I stated somewhere recently, I was advised by two different dealers that the CGEM DX is considerably too heavy for the anti-vibration pads and I'd have to agree.

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5446287 - 09/29/12 05:32 AM

I too bought a pelican 1610 case.... Perfect

I decided I needed the ADM saddle knobs, as I got nervous with the narrow stock knobs, especially when they are frost or dew covered, and I'm trying to balance a heavy OTA while tightening.

I bought an ADM small dovetail adapter so I could use the mount for smaller scopes, like my solar Ha

I rigged up a couple LED lights up into the DX tripod head so they would shine down on the black EP tray. It's pretty handy.

I needed an extra 22lbs counter weight (2 total) for mounting a C14.

I don't use anti-vibe pads and have never felt the need. Of course I usually mount on dirt or sometimes asphalt.

Enjoy,
Dave

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5446726 - 09/29/12 12:32 PM

Dave

C14 that beast weights 40 plus have you noticed the any problems with the mount at that payload.

And on the Pelican case what fits in it do you remove the counter weight shaft and Did you reuse the packing foam the mount was shipped in? or the soft foam that they send with the case.

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
      #5447804 - 09/30/12 12:50 AM

As long as the C14 is well balanced, the CGEM DX does very well for visual. Slewing is fine, and goto is right on. I haven't tried AP with that combo as with my C11 with the CGEM DX, AP was already a struggle.

Regarding the pelican, everything above the tripod fits in there. The counter weight shaft as well as the conical weight between mount that the shaft screws into is removed. All fits in the case, except of course the counterweight donuts. I did not use the mount packing material. The pelican comes with all necessary padding, which needs to be carved to fit the mount. This is a popular combo, and I think everyone fits them in the same way.

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5447891 - 09/30/12 02:47 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

Pick up my Mount today new CGEM-DX and new OTA RC 8" Astro-Tech rain rain go away!

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5447906 - 09/30/12 03:09 AM

Kevin,

Great looking setup... Congrats!

I finally have clear skies and am out trying to get a PEC run on the LX80. Most frustrating thing I've done in a long time!

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5448134 - 09/30/12 09:44 AM

Thanks Mike

Good luck on your run.
Weather still bad here. Astronomics grand opening was yesterday and they sold so many telescopes that we may have to build an Ark.

Set the mount up installed software see if I could control the mount with the computer all went well.oh I totally agree about Hc extension cord. I really like the fact the power cord screws into the jack to keep it from coming out great Ideal. The tripod on this beast is massive you just don't get it until you set one up. Its going to be a great foundation for AP platform.

Note I know of another Accessory its needs A HC holder!

Edited by TALK2KEV (09/30/12 10:04 AM)

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5448144 - 09/30/12 09:51 AM

Check your 8/3 error. If it is much report it to celestron and complain about the pec not being usable. Celestron has decided that it it not worth the effort to please the "few" users that would care. They say they are still going to work on the dec cogging issue.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

#5448246 - 09/30/12 11:10 AM

Quote:

Note I know of another Accessory its needs A HC holder!

Hi Kevin,

Don't worry - you already have one! Open the boxes that serve as filler between the foam holding the legs in the huge box that the tripod came in. Inside one of those filler boxes you'll find a beautiful HC holder. The holder fits on the tripod leg of your choice. Now for the bad news - the HC cord is so short that it won't reach the holder unless you get the extension cord from Scopestuff.

cclark

Reged: 07/29/08

#5448251 - 09/30/12 11:12 AM

Check through the packing for the HC holder. It is an orange piece of aluminum with a black strap. It goes around one of the legs of the tripod and acts as a cradle for the HC. If I remember right it was buried in the packing somewhere (maybe on the back side of one of the foam inserts).

Great looking setup!!

Chris

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: cclark]
      #5448331 - 09/30/12 12:01 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Hi Kevin, yes its a beast. Its a very solid AP platform. Almost like a permanent pier. My rain stopped but will be back tomorrow. You should have a really nice holder for your handbox that looks like these pics below. Celestron provides a nice holder. Congratulations and enjoy your new CGEM DX.
neilson

turtledude1

Reged: 10/08/08

Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM
Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: neilson]
      #5449316 - 09/30/12 10:20 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Beware of the 1610 case with CGEM DX if you invest in all the ADM toys because it won't fit, at least mine won't. I had to go to the Pelican iM2875 for mine. I'm changing everything to the Pelican cases. My Atlas EQ6 fits in the 1610, my CGE Pro polar mount fits like a glove in the 1610. The latitude plate and the electronics pier take the 1650 case. Anyway measure first and buy later.
All the add-ons mentioned are great, but here's a couple more. The ADM tripod knobs are awesome when making tiny final leveling adjustments, but make sure to get the ones for the CGE Pro because the regular CGEM knobs won't work. My second are the Robin Casady Stainless counterweights they look great, I added a pic of my CGE Pro with them. I have the 5#, 7.7# and the 15# weights for both mounts. With the 5# I can balance my WO Zenithstar 80mm APO which weighs 6 pounds.
All I hear about the DX is that you can't use small scopes with it, well I guess not if you use the only 22# weight Celestron offers DUH!!! Enjoy your DX it's a tank.

Russ

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: turtledude1]
      #5450233 - 10/01/12 02:22 PM

TDM.. Plain and simple..

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Top Accessories for your new CGEM-DX mount new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5450306 - 10/01/12 02:59 PM

very nice looking with SS counter weights I'm going to look into that , Thanks for the heads up on the pelican cases.

shareef777

Reged: 04/13/14

#6471967 - 04/17/14 04:31 PM

Quote:

very nice looking with SS counter weights I'm going to look into that , Thanks for the heads up on the pelican cases.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but which case did you go with?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2102

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics