Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5461363 - 10/08/12 10:18 PM

Geez,
Meade Why didn't you test this mount before you sold the thing in the first place. Turning the mount on and off and slewing it with no ota on it is not testing. Oh and that was slick calling and talking me out of my $799. mount I had preordered for so long just several days before you fixed all the problems. Don't tell me you didn't plan that. I was wondering why all the sudden they had my mount in when I had recently been told it wouldn't be until Dec. or Jan. sometime, before it would be in. I had kept it on backorder hoping they would fix it by then but they called the other day saying we know you weren't sure if you still wanted it because of the problems but its in. Now I know why the guy kind of laughed and acted glad when I said no. I'm not the only one they did that to.

Well at least I am glad I was able to be one of the ones that brought all these problems to Meades attention. And to help pressure them into fixing these problems with countless hours of testing and tweaking and testing along with all the other guys on this thread. Otherwise there's no telling how long it would have taken them to fix this or even admit there was a problem. But I'm not mad because I still have all my other Meade telescopes/mounts I love. And they work great. And I am happy with my brand new CGEM DX that got 12+ minutes guided images with nice round stars at f/10 friday night.YEA!

On the LX80 I hope they fixed the weight problem because 10 or 15 pounds max isn't even close to the 40lbs rated. But I do have faith that the newer models will have that fixed also. But I do tend to hope that companies will do the right thing given the chance. Even if it takes a little nudge. Well you guys be sure and test it out and don't let people tell you "its good enough for this price point". But I do believe its going to work like its supposed to this time. And good luck to all you guys. And All you guys that were satisfied with it unable to image and were just going to buy another mount to image with since this one couldn't, Well now you don't have to.

neilson

I always thought Beta testers were given their mounts for all the testing work they performed.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/27/08

Loc: Westminster, CO
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5461369 - 10/08/12 10:22 PM

Quote:

If you follow the link, and read what they fixed (hopefully), then you will see that they say they are addressing everything, including guiding via Envisage, and including support now for ST4 guiding. And they say they have fixed the PEC problem. Now THAT would be nice.

They really need to address the mechanical issues people have reported, like dry bearings. Shipping unlubricated bearings is just crazy.

Meade?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: neilson]
      #5461384 - 10/08/12 10:36 PM

Neilson,

I got my mount from Astronomics and canceled a $799 preorder and then contacted them to see if I could keep the order. They let me do it. That was all in the same day but you could try of you still want it. No guarantee that all the problems are fixed.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5461411 - 10/08/12 11:09 PM

Mike,
I would be better off If I wait until all the mechanical issues are taking care of and verified. I am enjoying my CGEM DX so much. And while I enjoy working on things, I am really enjoying not having to right now.
neilson

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: neilson]
      #5461427 - 10/08/12 11:30 PM

Yes, you ended up with a much better GEM. Wish I had another $800 to spend, I would have tried to get yours when you canceled the order. The CGEM DX or even the CGEM were out of my price range. I will say this about Astronomics, the offered me a good price on a CGEM when I was going to cancel my LX80 order and I got the CN discount off the $799 price on the LX80.

I can't help but believe that you and a few others were instrumental in getting Mead to look at the problems with the LX80. Meade owes you something - at least a thank you here on the forum.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Meade Instr.]
      #5461616 - 10/09/12 05:24 AM

Quote:

We have released a new firmware update for the LX80, and are now shipping the APM module.

This is good news; but not sure if mount's mechanical infrastructure, tolerances, and weight carrying capacities are up to par with what guided astro-imaging demands. Serial guiding results have been disappointing thus far; not sure what ST-4 guiding will achieve that will be different. Real guided images of 5-10 min subs will tell the story. Let the ST-4 guided testing begin... any takers?

neilson
professor emeritus

#5461881 - 10/09/12 10:38 AM

Hi Mike, I think that's the last thing Meade wants to do is thank us. But now its time to do some testing.

I noticed the APM module is $39.99 then it goes on to say if you have the 497 handbox you can pay another $149. and buy the audiostar handbox because for some reason they setup up the apm so it wont work with the 497 handbox. I have an LXD75 and I dont feel its worth spending $149 + $39.99= $188.99 plus the cost of an autoguider just to autoguide. They could of made the apm work with the 497 handbox and should have. In fact I bet they had to do something extra to keep it from working with the 497. Thanks alot meade but I'll just stick with PHd and my laptop.

Edited by neilson (10/09/12 11:32 AM)

ur7x
sage

Reged: 01/08/12

#5462008 - 10/09/12 12:18 PM

Quote:

Yes, you ended up with a much better GEM. Wish I had another $800 to spend, I would have tried to get yours when you canceled the order. The CGEM DX or even the CGEM were out of my price range. I will say this about Astronomics, the offered me a good price on a CGEM when I was going to cancel my LX80 order and I got the CN discount off the $799 price on the LX80.

I can't help but believe that you and a few others were instrumental in getting Mead to look at the problems with the LX80. Meade owes you something - at least a thank you here on the forum.

We have gone over this a few times. Mint condition second hand CGEMS can be had for only a couple of hundred more than your iffy LX80... and on top of that you have to spend more on cables and adapters and now a custom made tripod top/pier adapter to have this mount so the legs don't snap off.

I think now that PEC is "working" on these mounts, we will start to see data coming in for the mount that will demonstrates just how much issue there is with the mechanicals.

The choice is simple, do you want a mount that just works, or do you want a mount that you have to make parts for out of scrap plywood and your neighbors band-saw?

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: ur7x]
      #5462046 - 10/09/12 12:36 PM

Quote:

The choice is simple, do you want a mount that just works, or do you want a mount that you have to make parts for out of scrap plywood and your neighbors band-saw?

The choice is simple - there are currently no other mounts available that can do the jobs this one can do. Maybe in a month the AZ-EQ6GT will be available at twice the price (and probably twice the performance), but it's not available yet.

ur7x
sage

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5462071 - 10/09/12 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The choice is simple - there are currently no other mounts available that can do the jobs this one can do. Maybe in a month the AZ-EQ6GT will be available at twice the price (and probably twice the performance), but it's not available yet.

Sadly, it is very clear, even this mount can't do what this mount is supposed to do.

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: ur7x]
      #5462083 - 10/09/12 01:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sadly, it is very clear, even this mount can't do what this mount is supposed to do.

To me, it's not an AP mount, and reports are that it works just fine for basically everything else.

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Lx80 Multi-mount Guide port clarification [Re: neilson]
      #5462224 - 10/09/12 02:25 PM

Mistake on Meade's part. The 07640 controller is the same one that ships with the LX80.
Guess Meade doesn't proof read as well.

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount Guide port clarification [Re: brokenwave]
      #5462236 - 10/09/12 02:29 PM

Quote:

Mistake on Meade's part. The 07640 controller is the same one that ships with the LX80.
Guess Meade doesn't proof read as well.

Um, they posted that for people who don't have an LX80, and currently have a 497 handbox.

Edited by Griffin! (10/09/12 02:31 PM)

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount Guide port clarification [Re: Griffin!]
      #5462276 - 10/09/12 02:53 PM

My bad, but there will be some who will think they need to buy a new hand controller for their LX80. Someone in the Yahoo group is already complaining about.

ur7x
sage

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5462526 - 10/09/12 05:06 PM

Quote:

To me, it's not an AP mount, and reports are that it works just fine for basically everything else.

You have to ask yourself, if its not an AP mount, what is PEC for? What is the guide module for? And to a lesser degree why even use it in polar mode?

Why is it good news that Meade fixed these AP problems on a mount that is useless as an AP mount?

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: neilson]
      #5462612 - 10/09/12 06:12 PM

Gday Neilson

Quote:

I noticed the APM module is $39.99 then it goes on to say if you have the 497 handbox you can pay another $149. and buy the audiostar handbox because for some reason they setup up the apm so it wont work with the 497 handbox.

In the 497s, even the original APM909 was also blocked from working with certain scopes based on motorcard type fitted.
This test was bypassed by the std 497 patches put out by Dick Seymour.
As far as i can tell, the new 909 from Meade should work with the old 497s if that patch is loaded.
If not, there is always the clones.

Andrew

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: ur7x]
      #5462823 - 10/09/12 08:27 PM

Last warning: Get the snark out of the posts. If you have nothing of substance to add, leave it at the door. Next bit of snark and it's locked.

David

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5462873 - 10/09/12 09:04 PM

Is there any advantage of the 909 over serial guiding? If there is something to be gained the 909 and update patch is cheap/easy enough.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Stew57]
      #5462912 - 10/09/12 09:35 PM

Gday Mark

For pure guiding, using a 909 lump means the rs232 port is free for other use, and you can operate without a PC if you have a self contained guide unit.
If you have a full 909, you also get focus and reticle control via the Hbx.

However, in the 497s, the 909 lump is a "polled" device, and approx 50% of the processor time is devoted to this polling.
It doesnt seem to affect anything ( that i have seen so far ), but it does reduce CPU availability for other processing.

Andrew

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5463115 - 10/09/12 11:42 PM

Quote:

However, in the 497s, the 909 lump is a "polled" device, and approx 50% of the processor time is devoted to this polling.
It doesnt seem to affect anything ( that i have seen so far ), but it does reduce CPU availability for other processing.

Andrew,

Do I understand you correctly? The reduced CPU availability does not seem to effect real world use?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18485

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics