Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5455314 - 10/04/12 04:09 PM

A gentleman in the same town as I am in has an LX80 with a 10" SCT and he hasn't had any problems with the weight. I purchased mine without an OTA but have used it with my 180mm MAK and am happy with it in AltAz and Polar modes.

Edited by Mkofski (10/04/12 04:11 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5455333 - 10/04/12 04:20 PM

Exactly why are people putting themselves through this for this mount?

-Rich

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5455364 - 10/04/12 04:40 PM

Quote:

Exactly why are people putting themselves through this for this mount?

-Rich

Rich,

Putting themselves through what? I've had the LX80 for 3 weeks now and have been happy with it in Polar and AltAz modes. No test results for AP yet as I still don't know what I'm doing. For under $800 I'm real happy user. Purchased through Astronomics, there is a small and appreciated discount.

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
      #5455552 - 10/04/12 06:55 PM Attachment (62 downloads)

I bought one at 799 and going to keep it as outreach mount I wanted a small AP platform THIS MOUNT WILL NEVER BE GREAT FOR AP! now that's out of the way it is a great grab-n-go mount for visual my OTA set up weighs 23 lbs The machine top plate is a good ideal and I really like the wooded replacement,strong and cheap. I bought a CGEM-DX as my AP mount very happy with the CGEM so far, that mount is double in price but worth it in my opinion.

laconicsax

Reged: 10/05/10

Loc: Portland, OR
      #5455568 - 10/04/12 07:06 PM

Quote:

Putting themselves through what?

Did you miss the epic LX80 thread?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: laconicsax]
      #5455590 - 10/04/12 07:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If I'm thinking of the right thread, I had a number of post there. From the entries here, most owners are happy with their mounts. Only 2 or 3 early owners put themselves through anything. There have been problems with other user's mounts but they have not been somthing I'd characterize as "putting ourselves through something".

Some of the early shipping units had problems that seemed couldn't be fixed and the mount may never be a good one for AP but the longer they ship the better they look... IMHO.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5455600 - 10/04/12 07:29 PM

Kevin,

Great looking kit! That carbon fiber OTA is a beautiful. That mount's ok too...

ps. I'm still waiting for clear skies and haven't given up on the PEC. With all your tips, I'll get there.

Mike

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Mkofski]
      #5455724 - 10/04/12 09:01 PM

I hope to get a prototype tripod top froom the machine shop soon - hopefully by the time I get the LX80 mont back from Meade. Once I am satisfied with both the repaired mount and the beefed up tripod top, I will get back with those interested in a replacement top for their mounts.

Jack Huerkamp

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5455938 - 10/04/12 11:41 PM

Ummm, have you read any of the current thread you are posting to?

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If I'm thinking of the right thread, I had a number of post there. From the entries here, most owners are happy with their mounts. Only 2 or 3 early owners put themselves through anything. There have been problems with other user's mounts but they have not been somthing I'd characterize as "putting ourselves through something".

Some of the early shipping units had problems that seemed couldn't be fixed and the mount may never be a good one for AP but the longer they ship the better they look... IMHO.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Starhawk]
      #5455983 - 10/05/12 12:36 AM

Yes

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5456187 - 10/05/12 08:03 AM

Quote:

The problem with the mount is that unless something changes it does not appear it will be as good for imaging as a CG5. If it can't even manage that, there's not much reason for _having_ an EQ mode.

dksolar3294

Reged: 08/22/12

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: dksolar3294]
      #5456518 - 10/05/12 12:50 PM Attachment (77 downloads)

Wood is an excellent low cost material for amateur experimentation. I have been using it for years for mounting multiple scopes and accessories. This may look rather odd, however during night star parties, no one is looking at the mount.

On the original LX80 tripod, the legs are limited in their spread when the leg top vertical flat surface abuts to the mount plate. This is a high stress point when the Spreader Bar is tightened. I could not cut the wood with the same level of required tolerance, so I used 1/16" wire rope to limit the leg spread. With this in place, I can tighten the Spreader Bar as much as needed. The end result is a secure mount which alleviates my safety concerns.

I consider this wood alternative as temporary. There are numerous enterprises making after market telescope parts. It is my expectation someone will recognize the need for a stronger mount plate and bring it to market - hopefully, at a reasonable and affordable price.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #5456539 - 10/05/12 01:07 PM

Though you have several pieces of wood laminated together, the top part is 3/4" straight grain wood. It is the strength of the whole piece because it is just grain in one direction.
There are three holes lined up in that piece of wood that are all along the same grain line and there is bending force on that like when the legs are spread and weight is placed on it.
Wood will spit along the grain, so this is not exactly safe in my opinion.
Blueman
Quote:

Wood is an excellent low cost material for amateur experimentation. I have been using it for years for mounting multiple scopes and accessories. This may look rather odd, however during night star parties, no one is looking at the mount.

On the original LX80 tripod, the legs are limited in their spread when the leg top vertical flat surface abuts to the mount plate. This is a high stress point when the Spreader Bar is tightened. I could not cut the wood with the same level of required tolerance, so I used 1/16" wire rope to limit the leg spread. With this in place, I can tighten the Spreader Bar as much as needed. The end result is a secure mount which alleviates my safety concerns.

I consider this wood alternative as temporary. There are numerous enterprises making after market telescope parts. It is my expectation someone will recognize the need for a stronger mount plate and bring it to market - hopefully, at a reasonable and affordable price.

MikeV

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5456636 - 10/05/12 02:03 PM

I have one of the early run LX80 mounts and it works just fine for my requirement as a dual-scope solar viewing rig. On the primary side I have a Lunt LS100THa/B3400 and the second scope is a Celestron Onyx 80mm ED refractor with a Baader filter. The 80mm Celestron is mounted in rings attached to a vixen dovetail (both by ADM) which makes aligning it to the primary scope as easy as aligning a finder. This setup makes for nice comparative chromosphere – photosphere views of the sun and it tracks reasonably well given the alignment is done during the day.

With the equipment costing almost 10x as much as the mount, it would be a very bad day indeed if the mounting plate on the tripod cracked and my gear came crashing to the ground. As this rig will be used for public outreach from time to time (through our club and the NEAF SSP), even the remote chance of someone getting injured is totally unacceptable.

Jack – sign me up when those machined plates are ready!

MIke V.

dksolar3294

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: blueman]
      #5456694 - 10/05/12 02:47 PM

The grain in the three main 3/4" pieces is in a different direction for each piece. Between these pieces are some 1/4" oak plywood layers used for spacers. Two of these are glued to the 3/4" layer which has the leg bolt holes. The whole thing is then squeezed together with 1/4" bolts to form an integral unit.

Weight force from the motor unit & scope(s) is pretty much all vertical, so the leg bolts are being pushed near straight up. Unlike the original metal mount plate, the leg top exerts no inward pressure. Since the lower legs are restricted due to the wire rope, the Spreader Bars forces the leg bolts up & outward, probably at an angle perpendicular to the legs. However, this force is much less than that of the motor/scope weight. So, I feel that the major stress is from the leg bolts being forced straight up.

I will be the first to admit this design can be improved upon. When I started this, I had no design in mind and just started cutting & drilling as needed to make things fit. With that experience, the next version will have a 1/4" aluminum plate sandwiched above the wood layer with the leg bolt holes.

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
      #5457127 - 10/05/12 09:22 PM

cool project can you take pic under side of the mount plate

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

#5457730 - 10/06/12 10:39 AM

Quote:

If anyone wants know "where we are at" with the LX-80.

This (quoted) post, and the attached photo, says it all..

This would be acceptable if the mount had had three owners, had been abused for 10-15 years, or was one of those woefully inadequate mounts that some of us bought in the 80's when we were students and had no money.

Understand that this is a brand new freshly designed $1000 mount that people are having to re-engineer with plywood and home depot wire rope to keep it together.

I know for some, this is considered fun. I would say that it is unacceptable and inexcusable.

It is my expectation that Meade gets off of their collective backsides and fixes a clearly faulty product. Why are we constantly point to the aftermarket for solutions to this mess?

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #5457830 - 10/06/12 11:53 AM

You miss the point,the pieces that you have laminated are in the part the legs attach to not the upper plate that you place the mount upon.
The upper plate of 3/4 is the only piece of wood in your part that is bearing the load. The other pieces are mearly glued to it.
Whn you place the legs out there is now force being applied across this piece of wood. If you look at your top part you will see the three holes drilled in it that I mention. They are in a line and that line is on the grain line. This compromises the strength of the 3/4" wood.
It is your mount, I am only trying to point out the flaw in the design.
If you had made it all of plywood then the upper piece would have had cross strands and that would have increased the strength of it.
However, wood is not that great of a material for this purpose.
Blueman
Quote:

The grain in the three main 3/4" pieces is in a different direction for each piece. Between these pieces are some 1/4" oak plywood layers used for spacers. Two of these are glued to the 3/4" layer which has the leg bolt holes. The whole thing is then squeezed together with 1/4" bolts to form an integral unit.

Weight force from the motor unit & scope(s) is pretty much all vertical, so the leg bolts are being pushed near straight up. Unlike the original metal mount plate, the leg top exerts no inward pressure. Since the lower legs are restricted due to the wire rope, the Spreader Bars forces the leg bolts up & outward, probably at an angle perpendicular to the legs. However, this force is much less than that of the motor/scope weight. So, I feel that the major stress is from the leg bolts being forced straight up.

I will be the first to admit this design can be improved upon. When I started this, I had no design in mind and just started cutting & drilling as needed to make things fit. With that experience, the next version will have a 1/4" aluminum plate sandwiched above the wood layer with the leg bolt holes.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: blueman]
      #5458410 - 10/06/12 08:30 PM

Blueman is absolutely right- the plain wood top plate has strength in one direction, only. The top is a bracket for all intents and purposes, and the changing load directions in such parts are much easier to deal with in an isotropic material like metal.

I'm sorry I can't think of a gentle way to say this. The entire concept of having to make a new top piece for the tripod is ridiculous. If someone reading the history of these mounts can't figure out they are just flat out defective, it's willful ignorance.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (10/07/12 12:53 AM)

dksolar3294

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5458685 - 10/07/12 12:39 AM Attachment (42 downloads)

The underside of the wood substitute is just solid wood with a few holes, so I assume you mean the original metal plate - too much hollowed out space.

Quote:

cool project can you take pic under side of the mount plate

Edited by dksolar3294 (10/07/12 12:46 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19464

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics