Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
hectar

Reged: 12/24/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: iOptron SmartEQ Mods and Partial Disassembly new [Re: EFT]
      #5645962 - 01/27/13 12:25 PM

Quote:

The problem could also be mechanical. The metal shafts stuck onto the end of a plastic worm assembly are very unlikely to be straight and could easily cause the worm to be binding during part of its rotation at which point the motor starts to strain which may in turn be triggering an electronics issue in regard to the power being supplied to the motor. I honestly can't believe that metal and plastic worm assembly. A cheap brass worm would have been far better, even with the plastic worm wheel.

I would agree to that it could be mechanical problem. Either worm/spur shafts are not straight (bent) or gears are machined poorly. (noise is cyclic).
In the real world, if gears/shafts are large enough and you can access them easily, I would shut down the power, set a dial indicator on the shaft and check TIR's (Run out). It must not be more than 0.001"-0.002". You must take account of bearing play as well.
I would also check the back lash of each gear at 4 spots (set the dial on the teeth of one gear's teeh perpendicularly, jam/hold the other/opposite gear, then move/wiggle the first gear(with dial on it) back and forth, tiny bit, till you feel the stop. and read the dial). Repeat/rotate 90 degrees, do the same process again, and every reading must be consistant. say if you are getting 0.004", it should be same at every 90 degrees of rotation. If not, your gears are eccentric or teeth are worn out (or machined poorly if new).
ps: you can buy cheap dial indicators with magnetic base at local tool shops @30-40 bucks. They are good for larger gears, smaller ones like used in here will require additional extensions/setup.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Re: iOptron SmartEQ Mods and Partial Disassembly new [Re: hectar]
      #5649462 - 01/28/13 11:12 PM

I was interested in this mount for a light weight portable mount for a DSLR and light refractor. I am not encouraged by the feedback y'all are providing. However, I noticed that the pro version comes with metal gears. Does anyone have the pro version and are you having the same tracking issue?

Jeff

sgtcombs

Reged: 11/18/12

Loc: Portland Oregon
Re: Too much play in RA axis new [Re: russdirks]
      #6384553 - 02/19/14 11:53 AM

Quote:

This just shows the locknut and short segment of screw that is used to sandwich the worm gear shaft.

I recently up graded my sEQ to the pro spec and the one issue I had was that there are little bearings on the end of the worm shafts, it took a spot o grease and a mr quickster to get it put together correctly. Did you have any issues?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3662

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics