Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: 10gauge]
      #5578126 - 12/18/12 11:19 PM

10gauge,

You can download the Synscan hand controller manual from here (bottom of page) and get an idea of the various functions available on the hand controller for the AZ-EQ6.

JohnD

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
10gauge
sage

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: Boston
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: EFT]
      #5578159 - 12/18/12 11:39 PM

Thank you, Ed, for a detailed response. As a newbie, things can become quite abstract if one hasn't laid hands on equipment. I've been gathering equipment and learning as much as I can from knowledgeable people like yourself as I wait for my TEC 140 to arrive...

Thanks again!

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5578169 - 12/18/12 11:50 PM

Quote:

Thank you, Ed, for a detailed response. As a newbie, things can become quite abstract if one hasn't laid hands on equipment. I've been gathering equipment and learning as much as I can from knowledgeable people like yourself as I wait for my TEC 140 to arrive...

Thanks again!

Very nice scope that deserves a nice mount to go on. Congrats.

10gauge
sage

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: EFT]
      #5578199 - 12/19/12 12:12 AM

Thank you, JohnD. I will review the manual.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #5578529 - 12/19/12 08:12 AM

10gauge,

If you have an iPAD3, all you need to control the AZ-EQ6 is the SkyFi unit, the SynScan cable to interface it to the mount's hand controller and Sky Safari on the iPAD. I received my AZ-EQ6 on the 12th and have been controlling it using my iPAD 3 inside with good results. This weekend I hope for my first tests with real stars.

Jack Huerkamp

10gauge
sage

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5579701 - 12/19/12 09:47 PM

Thank you, Jack. So I'll get the Sky Safari Pro for $39.99 and start from there...

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5579830 - 12/19/12 11:24 PM

You won't be sorry. It is a great APP for the iPAD or iPhone.

Jack

johnpd
sage

#5580029 - 12/20/12 03:46 AM

Quote:

If you have an iPAD3, all you need to control the AZ-EQ6 is the SkyFi unit, the SynScan cable to interface it to the mount's hand controller and Sky Safari on the iPAD. I received my AZ-EQ6 on the 12th and have been controlling it using my iPAD 3 inside with good results. This weekend I hope for my first tests with real stars.

Jack Huerkamp

My mount is due to arrive this Friday. I have the Orion StarSeek (Orion's version of the SkyFi). I will see if that works also with my iPad.

JohnD

johnpd
sage

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: johnpd]
      #5580049 - 12/20/12 04:15 AM

Jack,

You mentioned in a post somewhere that after upgrading the firmware, you need to shut down the mount first before shutting down the update software. Is this correct? I can't find your original post.

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5580259 - 12/20/12 09:02 AM

John,

The first time I did the update to V3.32, I got the green bar indicating a successful upload. I then shut down the loader program while leaving the mount running. .Wwhen I shut off the mount and then restarted it, the display on the handpad was blank - nothing. I thought I had really messed up the mount. I repeated the firmware update and this time, I shut off the mount before closing the loader program. When I re-started the mount, the display on the handpad came back to life. What a relief!

I don't know if the upload the first time was corrupted or if you have to shut down the mount before closing the loader program. I just know shutting down the mount first worked the second time.

Jack Huerkamp

desanctb

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Calgary,Canada
      #5580527 - 12/20/12 11:50 AM

I received my mount last week and I can confirm both EQ MOD and sky safari both work flawlessly with the included cable and a USB to serial adapter....no other special adapters needed! As a previous owner of the EQ6, I think this version is the best yet! The Canadian version does come with a GPS, but skywatcher does say version 3.32 is needed. I had no issues updating the HC, and have yet to test the mount outside. For anyone thinking of purchasing this mount, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/27/08

Loc: Westminster, CO
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: desanctb]
      #5580571 - 12/20/12 12:27 PM

Quote:

I received my mount last week and I can confirm both EQ MOD and sky safari both work flawlessly with the included cable and a USB to serial adapter....no other special adapters needed! As a previous owner of the EQ6, I think this version is the best yet! The Canadian version does come with a GPS, but skywatcher does say version 3.32 is needed. I had no issues updating the HC, and have yet to test the mount outside. For anyone thinking of purchasing this mount, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Have you tried it with your C11HD yet? That's a combo I'm considering so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on that.

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5580621 - 12/20/12 12:48 PM

I too am looking forward to seeing your AP results with the C11HD. Hoping for clear skies for you!

Best,

George

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5580761 - 12/20/12 02:01 PM

...or iPad 2, or iPod Touch, or iPhone, or even an Android OS device.

They all work.

- Jim

desanctb

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Calgary,Canada
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5581025 - 12/20/12 04:36 PM

Unfortunately the two weights that come with the azeq6 are inadequate to properly balance the c11hd ota and my ap900 weights don't fit. I have to source out another weight so it may be a while before ill be able to do any AP with this combination. Meanwhile my TV 127is should work and will forward any results ASAP!
Burt
RASC

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: desanctb]
      #5581272 - 12/20/12 07:02 PM

Best of luck and thanks for sharing!

George

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: ghataa]
      #5583193 - 12/21/12 08:54 PM

Well the postman just brought my latest addition to my AZ-EQ6 - the spreader and tray manufactured in Canada by TPIAstro:

http://www.tpiastro.com/spreaders.htm

I purchased mine from the same firm that I got the mount from - KWTelescopes of Kitchener, Ontario. Brian shipped it on Monday and it arrived in 4 days via Canadapost. The spreader was very eady to install and the tray is held in place with a clamp to one of the spreader legs. Using the spreader makes a very tight tripod even tighter. The tray is not necessary, but I use it to carry the 26AH battery box with multiple 12vVDC output plugs. THis helps with cable clutter control.

Jack Huerkamp

johnpd
sage

#5583273 - 12/21/12 10:03 PM

Well my mount just came. A lot of extra fees involved. $74 by VISA for a "Foreign Transaction Fee" and UPS charged $94 for a Brokerage Fee. Jack, did you promise Brian a boatload of Gulf shrimp to drop the value of the shipment?

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5583359 - 12/21/12 11:08 PM

John,

My mount arrived with no fees collected by the UPS drive. But on Wednesday, I received a customs bill from UPS. I too used a VISA card, but there was no "Foreign Transaction Fee". There was $81+ in Duties and $34+ in other miscellaneous fees for a total bill of a little over $115.

Jack

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5583371 - 12/21/12 11:19 PM

John,

Why didn't I think of offering Brian shrimp! Maybe Customs would have paid me.

Jack

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17219

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics