Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

LX-800 Update
      #5489860 - 10/26/12 08:59 AM

Gang,

Just talked to Meade about my 14" LX-800. It has been at Meade for the recall since June, and according to the rep. this is what has been completed on my scope so far:

1. Replaced the worm
2. Increase the bearing size on both the RA and DEC
3. Made focuser adjustments
4. Improved the saddle plate(not sure if it was replaced or modified)

He says that these were thing done to my specific scope, they have a system that tracks each individual scope in the recall.

All they are working on now is the refinement of the firmware for the mount and starlock. He would not give me a firm date for completion, but, did suggest that it would be back to me by the end of the month. I have been given dates before that have come and gone, so, take with a grain of salt.

I told him that I would demand to speak with and executive if the scope is not ready by December 1st.

Tony

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jared
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: ahopp]
      #5489870 - 10/26/12 09:10 AM

Thanks for the update. He told you end of the month... Do you think he meant October (meaning it would have to ship out immediately) or November? I assume November.

I'll be attending AIC in Santa Clara starting today. Meade is usually there with a booth. I'll be interested to see whether they have any of the reworked mounts.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: Jared]
      #5489880 - 10/26/12 09:26 AM

Wow, increasing the bearing size sounds like a major change unless they figured out how to get a larger bearing into the same size hole. Could be cool when you get it back.

Hoping the best for you!

ahopp
sage

Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: jgraham]
      #5489934 - 10/26/12 10:04 AM

Jared,

Yes, I got the impression that he meant the end of November.

Tony

Jared
Post Laureate

#5490049 - 10/26/12 11:22 AM

Got it. I'll post an image if they have any of the upgraded mounts at the conference.

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
      #5490131 - 10/26/12 12:22 PM

Quote:

1. Replaced the worm
2. Increase the bearing size on both the RA and DEC
3. Made focuser adjustments
4. Improved the saddle plate(not sure if it was replaced or modified)

Update? What update? That's very old news. This has been known for many months. Where have you been all that time?

ahopp
sage

Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: Alph]
      #5490294 - 10/26/12 01:57 PM

Alph,

Not sure where your hostility is coming from. The update is that he claimed these items had been completed on my actual scope. Not some test unit. So, this suggests that they are now focusing only on the firmware. Also, I do not remember them ever mentioning that the were going to work on the focuser, but, I have not read all the posts on this issue.

Tony

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

#5490316 - 10/26/12 02:09 PM

As I said. There is absolutely nothing new in your post. There were many threads/posts about the LX800 in the past that did not reveal anything new like your thread/post. There is no point to start yet another pointless thread just to be closed by the moderator. Read the archives.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #5490338 - 10/26/12 02:28 PM

Well, if it means anything it was news to me and I kinda appreciated the update. I'm looking forward to hearing how Tony's LX-800 turns out. What's a few electrons between friends?

ahopp
sage

Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: jgraham]
      #5490577 - 10/26/12 05:19 PM

Thanks jgraham, I think the broader point is:

Until now we have been told what would be done to our scopes. Now we have been told what is actually being completed.

And, as I said to Alph, I do not ever recall improvements to the focuser being discussed.

Tony

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5490692 - 10/26/12 06:39 PM

Focuser Improvements!?

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

#5490736 - 10/26/12 07:12 PM

Quote:

Until now we have been told what would be done to our scopes. Now we have been told what is actually being completed.

The mechanical mods have been finalized back in July. It is all old and incomplete news.

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
      #5490751 - 10/26/12 07:28 PM

I think the "real" news, is that they are not yet ready to be shipped back. This, due to them still working on the firmware.

And what that brings focus to is.... man, they were NOT ready to be shipped ! And apparently they won't be shipped again, until they are (which is GOOD news !).

Hopefully, based on the report, everyone who purchased an LX800 will have a good holiday season, with new "toys" to play with...

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5490948 - 10/26/12 10:13 PM

If you have nothing to add to the conversation, leave it at the door. Any more snark will be met with a deleted post.

David

Jared
Post Laureate

#5491032 - 10/26/12 11:27 PM

FYI, no Meade presence at this year's Advanced Imaging Conference. They had attended the last couple years, but not this year.

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: Jared]
      #5491311 - 10/27/12 08:20 AM

They are scheduled to come to the Arizona Science and Astronomy Expo to be held in Tucson in early November. I bet there will be a crowd around them wanting to know what is happening to their scopes.

JohnD

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: johnpd]
      #5491519 - 10/27/12 11:04 AM

Meade really is alone among all astronomical equipment manufacturers in having anything like this going on. It's simply unprecedented. It's only natural this is going to generate discussion by itself.

The story going out from Meade is difficult to swallow at this point since it's not changing for months, and folks are frustrated. Some of the items are unexplained- such as the part about the telescope focuser, which wasn't on anyone's radar. The other major part is the star lock integration. Given how autoguiding has been an off-the-shelf technology for quite some time now, so this whole episode has generated a lot of questions without answers.

And unfortunately, we're facing a climate now where mentioning the elephant in the room is getting interpreted as "Snark."

So, what are we supposed to say?

-Rich

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: LX-800 Update [Re: Starhawk]
      #5491794 - 10/27/12 02:34 PM

Sadly, Meade has always done this, dating back to the late 70s, when I worked there.

People are only encouraging this sort of business practice by buying products that are advertised before they're fully developed.

-Tim.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: LX-800 Update [Re: tim53]
      #5491820 - 10/27/12 03:09 PM

I would say, however, that this time takes the cake. If there's a good side to it, relatively few people are affected. That doesn't make it any better for them of course. 'Twere me I'd have got my money back a long time ago.

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: LX-800 Update [Re: rmollise]
      #5491837 - 10/27/12 03:26 PM

It may have been an issue since the 70s, but in the last ten years Meade has been really hosing up their product launches, especially on their highest-end equipment. The RCX-400, the LX80 and the LX800 have all been rushed out the door less than half baked. Considering how badly the LX800 launch has been botched, I can't see myself ever taking a risk on a high end Meade product because early adopters go through the wringer with every major product rollout.

If Meade doesn't get their poop in a group, they won't be able to survive very long. I've always preferred Celestron products, but the competition between the two companies is critical for pushing innovation forward. If Meade goes under because of poorly managed product launches, I hate to think what the broader implications will be for the industry.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8209

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics