Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: Griffin!]
      #5530831 - 11/20/12 07:00 PM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/27/08

Loc: Westminster, CO
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: Alph]
      #5530980 - 11/20/12 08:26 PM

Quote:

None of the above. Think harder.

They only have enough to support the LX800s on recall (that are about to go out ) and preorder.

KevH
sage

Reged: 03/08/10

Loc: Maine
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5531097 - 11/20/12 09:37 PM

A recent post on Meade's Facebook page stated the following...

From Meade friend Jason Ware
Over the last couple months Galaxy Photography has had the honor of being a second round beta tester for
Meade’s LX800 Starlock system. There are more software updates coming but Meade is making great progress.
Here is a shot done with a 12” telescope. Details on the web page…..
http://galaxyphoto.com/jw_lx800_eline_m42.htm

Edited by KevH (11/20/12 10:05 PM)

laconicsax

Reged: 10/05/10

Loc: Portland, OR
      #5531112 - 11/20/12 09:43 PM

Quote:

How about these options:

1: There is no reason and you're just amusing yourself.
2: Someone at Meade is paying you to distract us.

Are those outside the box enough?

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: laconicsax]
      #5531157 - 11/20/12 10:10 PM

They're outside the box enough to earn 10 points!

Let's see, what other reasons could there be...

(A) There are no OTAs.
(B) The focuser drive rods were made from zinc contaminated with lead, and are rapidly disintegrating.
(C) All the OTAs were stolen in a warehouse heist.
(D) The telescopes were getting shipped near Fukushima when the nuclear accident happened and Meade is holding them until their radioactivity drops to a safe level.
(E) They're saving them up and hoping to start an Astro-Physics-style waiting list.
(F) Alph is full of hooey- the real reason has been stated by Meade already.

-Rich

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: laconicsax]
      #5531161 - 11/20/12 10:13 PM

This thread is wandering and is within an inch of being locked. If you have any information about the OP, then please share it. If it's about the OTA, there's a thread in Cats&Casses about the OTA being released as a stand alone item. That would be a good place to post anything of worth about the LX800 OTA.

David

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #5531214 - 11/20/12 10:39 PM

Alf,
If you have something to say or proof of knowledge that others do not have, speak up. If not, then you are adding nothing to the thread.Just implying that you know something that we do not is not proof at all.
Blueman
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Alph,

The Meade people are the source of the focuser story, so that's not speculation. It caught everyone by surprise.

So, what's the other reason?

Holding back data doesn't serve any purpose in this situation.

-Rich

There are only four reasons would support why Meade is not selling the new OTA's separate from the mounts:
1) The focusing system is being reviewed/reworked (something that Meade has actually openly stated, on this very forum)
2) There is some other undisclosed problem with the OTA's (Meade has not stated this, this would be really bad news, and is speculation)
3) Meade doesn't like the thought of people mounting their OTA's on competitors mounts (which is also speculation and makes no sense) or
4) Something even more crazy than #3 (which makes even less sense than no sense)

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: KevH]
      #5531347 - 11/20/12 11:52 PM

Was Galaxy Photography involved in the first round of LX800 beta testing also?

neilson

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: neilson]
      #5531825 - 11/21/12 09:55 AM

yes, this thread is now a complete waste of time. I am now dumber for reading it. If I could go back in time, I would go back and eliminate what I have read from my brain.

KevH
sage

Reged: 03/08/10

Loc: Maine
      #5532010 - 11/21/12 11:18 AM

Quote:

Was Galaxy Photography involved in the first round of LX800 beta testing also?

neilson

I'm not sure. I haven't really been paying too much attention to the whole LX800 saga... just knew this thread was here and saw the post on Facebook and thought I would share it.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#5532078 - 11/21/12 11:46 AM

Ok thanks for sharing it with us KevH. I was just curious, if they were, maybe they could shed some light as to exactly what was wrong and why it wasn't found and repaired before it shipped out the first time.

neilson

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
      #5532133 - 11/21/12 12:13 PM

I don't get the antagonism to these threads, the crying out to have them locked. It's a mystery to me.

The facts seem simple. Please inform me as to my error if any of the following is wrong.

1/ Telescope and mounts, costing up to $7000 were paid for and delivered.
2/ They never worked as advertised and all were recalled by the manufacturer.
3/ People have gone months without either getting a refund of their purchase price or a repaired telescope back from the company.
4/ The company seems in serious financial difficulty as evidenced by their published share price readily available from stock market published sources.

Is any of this in dispute?

If so, inform me. If not, why the antagonism and pleas to lock the thread?

Two questions. Has anyone received a refund? Has anyone asked for same?
If not, why not?

If the company goes bankrupt it may well be too late to get much, if anything, back. It will be a court matter.

How on earth can consumers sit by and not demand a refund in this situation? That mystifies me totally.

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: dawziecat]
      #5532175 - 11/21/12 12:33 PM

I've been sitting on the sidelines watching, and I have the same questions, with one addition: How does one come up with the notion that discussing a manufacturer's financial health is "bashing"?

Its a known fact that Meade is in financial trouble.

What is becoming apparent is Meade may have pinned their hopes for recovery on these new mounts and technologies before they were proven to meet their designed specifications.

The unfortunate part is that people have spent considerable sums of money and have nothing to show for it, and if you what to take this to the extreme, there is a word for that kind of business transaction....

What really saddens me is I own some Meade equipment, and I was excited when the new mounts were announced. As fate would have it, I am not in a position to drop several thousand dollars on a whim, so I have been spared the angst that others are going through.

The bottom line is, I do not think this situation is going to end at all well for Meade or for those who are waiting for their equipment to be returned...

And if the mods want to kill this post, have at it... But you can't stop me from thinking....

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: dawziecat]
      #5532252 - 11/21/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

the crying out to have them locked.

because you guys are beating a dead horse. We read thousands of times the same whining over and over again. Enough is enough.

Quote:

3/ People have gone months without either getting a refund of their purchase price or a repaired telescope back from the company.
4/ The company seems in serious financial difficulty as evidenced by their published share price readily available from stock market published sources.

There you go again. What's new?

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5532276 - 11/21/12 01:28 PM

Quote:

A recent post on Meade's Facebook page stated the following...

From Meade friend Jason Ware
Over the last couple months Galaxy Photography has had the honor of being a second round beta tester for
Meade’s LX800 Starlock system. There are more software updates coming but Meade is making great progress.
Here is a shot done with a 12” telescope. Details on the web page…..
http://galaxyphoto.com/jw_lx800_eline_m42.htm

Things that make you go hmmmm.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5532291 - 11/21/12 01:37 PM

Michael,

I agree. It's nice to see a picture from the system. I wish it was a tad deeper though; some 20-30 minute subs over the course of an entire worm revolution would be awesome.

Still, that's a nice picture Thanks for sharing kev!

Chris

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5532687 - 11/21/12 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Alph,

The Meade people are the source of the focuser story, so that's not speculation. It caught everyone by surprise.

So, what's the other reason?

Holding back data doesn't serve any purpose in this situation.

-Rich

There are only four reasons would support why Meade is not selling the new OTA's separate from the mounts:
1) The focusing system is being reviewed/reworked (something that Meade has actually openly stated, on this very forum)
2) There is some other undisclosed problem with the OTA's (Meade has not stated this, this would be really bad news, and is speculation)
3) Meade doesn't like the thought of people mounting their OTA's on competitors mounts (which is also speculation and makes no sense) or
4) Something even more crazy than #3 (which makes even less sense than no sense)

What is this, charades?

Okay, sounds like?

I learned enough from working at Meade 30 years ago not to commit large sums of my folding greens on their products unless I can see them and know that they perform as advertised.

-Tim.

-Tim.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5532914 - 11/21/12 08:24 PM

You should talk, Mr. "I have secret info which explains all, but I won't talk." The poster's point is absolutely correct- statement of fact supported by the public record without inflammatory comments isn't a legitimate reason to close a thread.

If you (and I mean YOU PERSONALLY, ALPH), have new facts which would add to this discussion, then tell. If not, the last thing you have any standing to do is whine about people commenting on the limits of the currently available data and claim you have secret info. There are terms for that sort of behavior. None of them are especially polite, even if they are deserved.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

the crying out to have them locked.

because you guys are beating a dead horse. We read thousands of times the same whining over and over again. Enough is enough.

Quote:

There you go again. What's new?

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5532923 - 11/21/12 08:33 PM

Two things about Alph. Do not listen to him and don't feed the troll. He is a trouble maker. Just ignore him and respond to other people's post.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: LX-800 Update new [Re: ahopp]
      #5532944 - 11/21/12 08:59 PM

Locked.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8208

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics