Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: M44]
      #5560393 - 12/08/12 03:57 AM

I'm not in any particular hurry. I m currently using a Lapides Modified Teegul that I really like and works just fime for what I need. I plan to sell the Teegul once I get the Nova if I am happy with it. Thanks for the heads up.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5560536 - 12/08/12 08:57 AM

I am interested in the DVS-3 for a 4 " f/11 ish refractor, amoung other scopes. I am wondering if it can handle that, as far as a functional balance, i.e. the slo-mo for that tube length being underwhelmed, not overwhelmed, the tension adjustment not having to be tightened to the extreme, assuming balance is correct. For me slo-mo is necessary.

neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: moynihan]
      #5560643 - 12/08/12 10:36 AM

This was posted before in another thread...

http://trackthestars.com/

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: neotesla]
      #5560665 - 12/08/12 10:49 AM

Jim7728
Postmaster

Reged: 04/10/05

Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC
      #5560735 - 12/08/12 11:30 AM

Quote:

This was posted before in another thread...

[url=http://trackthestars.com/]http://trackthestars.com/[/ur l]

Oooh!

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: Scott99]
      #5560786 - 12/08/12 12:09 PM

Quote:

I've used the Teegul for a long time also, if I was going to "ramp up" I'd go with the Discmount or T-Rex.

But I've found with my larger scope I'm using higher magnifications and get frustrated without tracking, and the larger alt-az mounts are almost as much hassle as setting up an equatorial.

Which Alt/Az mounts are you referring to? My experience is that the larger ones with encoders are pretty much drop it on the ground, attach the scope and go.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: EFT]
      #5561406 - 12/08/12 07:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've used the Teegul for a long time also, if I was going to "ramp up" I'd go with the Discmount or T-Rex.

But I've found with my larger scope I'm using higher magnifications and get frustrated without tracking, and the larger alt-az mounts are almost as much hassle as setting up an equatorial.

Which Alt/Az mounts are you referring to? My experience is that the larger ones with encoders are pretty much drop it on the ground, attach the scope and go.

I would say that my equatorial mount is also drop on the ground and go, after you lift several heavy components. When I look at any alt-az setup that can handle my 30 pound refractor, most of them save me only 1 heavy component that has to be set up.

When I say "set up" that means carry everything from my house to the car, then out of the car to observe, then back home again, etc. When I look at larger alt-az mounts, I'm generally saving 1 trip to the car on both ends, and maybe a minute or two in the field. Not enough time and energy saved to justify giving up tracking. I don't use encoders or goto on any of the mounts, so the equatorial is ready very quickly also.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5561445 - 12/08/12 08:24 PM

The hitch mounts look fussy to me. Maybe they aren't, but they look (and read) complicated compared to others. If I want complicated, I'll go full GOTO and tracking. In an alt-az, I want braindead-simple, point and shoot.

On the other hand they are the most beautiful (in an architectural sense) alt-az mounts I've ever seen.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5561514 - 12/08/12 09:10 PM

Beautiful. I love the Scandinavian design ethic. On the other hand, the Danes aren't known for their software engineering. How much cooler would that mount be if, instead of their own hand controller, they'd developed iOS and Android apps to allow control of the mount with a smartphone or tablet?

I just picked up two iPad Minis. One for my sister and another for my father, for Christmas. I think the Mini is the ultimate telescope mount control pad. I use an iPad 2, but the Mini is sized better and the retina display is simply jaw dropping. Heck, skip the software development altogether and do a deal with Southern Stars to support the mount in Sky Safari.

But I digress. For my alt-az mount, I specifically do NOT want the hassles of heavy power requirements and tracking. I want it to be akin to the low overhead experience of a push-to Dob. That said, I will keep an eye on the new Danish entry. It's lovely and would be a wonderful GOTO mount replacement.

- Jim

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5561640 - 12/08/12 10:53 PM

Quote:

Beautiful. I love the Scandinavian design ethic. On the other hand, the Danes aren't known for their software engineering. How much cooler would that mount be if, instead of their own hand controller, they'd developed iOS and Android apps to allow control of the mount with a smartphone or tablet?

I just picked up two iPad Minis. One for my sister and another for my father, for Christmas. I think the Mini is the ultimate telescope mount control pad. I use an iPad 2, but the Mini is sized better and the retina display is simply jaw dropping. Heck, skip the software development altogether and do a deal with Southern Stars to support the mount in Sky Safari.

But I digress. For my alt-az mount, I specifically do NOT want the hassles of heavy power requirements and tracking. I want it to be akin to the low overhead experience of a push-to Dob. That said, I will keep an eye on the new Danish entry. It's lovely and would be a wonderful GOTO mount replacement.

- Jim

Perhaps get a DM 6 and be done?

Just a thought?

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #5562110 - 12/09/12 10:03 AM

I just put in an order for a DesertSky Astro DSV-1. Obviously much smaller/lighter than what you're looking for, but in my research all the DSV mounts have gotten nothing but glowing reviews and seem to be able to handle much more than their rated loads.

The DSV3 looks remarkably similar in design to the AYO units, is less expensive, and is supported directly by its creator in this country. An advantage if you need service, or parts.

-Dan

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #5562508 - 12/09/12 01:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

- Jim

Perhaps get a DM 6 and be done?

Just a thought?

+1
You won't find better than a DM6 with an Ipad/Sky safari connection to the Sky Commander.
I recommend getting two tripods, the stock wooden tripod for lighter scopes (grab and go), and a Losmandy HD tripod with 12" Losmandy extension for the 140 up.
Rex

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5562591 - 12/09/12 02:47 PM

There's something about the DM aesthetic I just don't like. That coupled with a lack of slo mo controls kinda turns me off of 'em. How easy is it to put a DM head on a tripod other than the ones DM offers? I find their "fence board" tripods ghastly.

Also, has anyone put any of these higher end alt-az heads on a Rob Miller tripod?

- Jim

M44
sage

Reged: 03/24/07

Loc: SoCal.
      #5562630 - 12/09/12 03:17 PM

DM6 can be attached to any tripod with a 3/8" stud. Berlebach / Rob miller can make custom made this to attach any alt/az that are available today.

Atleast one set up I saw on CN is with DM6 and Rob miller tripod.

I had considered Rob miller tripod, though it is light weight tripod, it can not be retracted for portability. Basic version come with 36", not enough for any size of the refractor. You need extensions (extra $$$) or go for a taller tripod (extra $$$).

Losmandy tripod with extension sounds good otherwise I suggest Berlebach planet for portability.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

#5562703 - 12/09/12 04:03 PM

Quote:

There's something about the DM aesthetic I just don't like. That coupled with a lack of slo mo controls kinda turns me off of 'em. How easy is it to put a DM head on a tripod other than the ones DM offers? I find their "fence board" tripods ghastly.

Also, has anyone put any of these higher end alt-az heads on a Rob Miller tripod?

- Jim

See this thread for Rob Miller tripod & DM6:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=refrac...,

As for liking the aesthetic? When I go from a Meade 7mm RG to a Ethos 13mm eyepiece and don't have to rebalance, I love the way it looks!
Rex

Edited by David Pavlich (12/27/12 11:39 AM)

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #5562734 - 12/09/12 04:26 PM

I have a few tripods that I use with DM-6 (T-REX, and Half Hitch, Vixen SXD, and G11) interchangeably. I made G11 mount base as standard way to attach mount to tripod.

FLT 152 on DM-6/12" extension/Losmandy FHD:

MN-86 on DM-6/8" extension/Losmandy FHD:

TMB 130SS on DM-6/8" extesion/Planet on left, FLT 152 on T-REX/12" extension tube/Binoscope Tall Tripod on right:

TMB 130SS on HH, DM-4 8" extension/Losmandy FHD:

TMB 130SS on HH, 12" extension/Losmandy FHD:

TMB 130SS on DM-6/8" extension/Planet on left:

If you aim for simplicity, I would go with DM-6, potentially go with larger scope in the future (say, TEC 180FL).

I am supposed to have Super Half Hitch delivery next week. I am planning to replace T-REX with SHH for TMB 130SS use. T-REX is for FLT 152, DM-6 is for MN-86.

Tammy

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5563151 - 12/09/12 09:21 PM

Tammy:

How would you rate the T-Rex versus the DM-6?

Regards,

Jim

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #5563274 - 12/09/12 10:38 PM

Quote:

Tammy:

How would you rate the T-Rex versus the DM-6?

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I would say that T-REX functions as good as DM-6 with 45lb 6" f/8 refractor on Losmandy FHD tripod.

If you go beyond that, I feel a little more comfortable going with DM-6.

Tammy

Jim7728
Postmaster

Reged: 04/10/05

Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC
Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: tomcody]
      #5563583 - 12/10/12 05:41 AM

Quote:

As for liking the aesthetic? When I go from a Meade 7mm RG to a Ethos 13mm eyepiece and don't have to rebalance, I love the way it looks!
Rex

Tammy's DM-6 on top of the Berlebach Planet tripod looks very aesthetically pleasing to me, as well as functional and is why I have one on order for my DM-6.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Re: In the market for a new alt-az mount... new [Re: Jim7728]
      #5564178 - 12/10/12 01:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rex

Tammy's DM-6 on top of the Berlebach Planet tripod looks very aesthetically pleasing to me, as well as functional and is why I have one on order for my DM-6.

You don't have to tell me, I like the way it looks, JBarnett the OP, is the one who said he disliked the looks, I was trying to make a point that the function of it matters more than how it looks.
Rex
PS I don't understand the value of the BerleBach over the Losmandy tripod? especially if one uses the Losmandy 12" extension. The Losmandy is strong and light, costs less, I think? when one considers shipping, and comes apart into four lightweight pieces to carry and fit into the car. and is made in the USA.
Rex

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6141

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics