Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5659159 - 02/03/13 12:01 AM

Hi Jack,

I played with this for a while this afternoon. In Alt-Az Mode, there is no one-star alignment under the current Synscan version (v3.32). There are two alignment methods: (1) Brightest Star and (2) 2-Star. The Brightest Star method still involves a two star alignment. The first object can be a planet but you still have to align with two stars after that and the Sun does not appear in the list of possible stars. Since either Alt-Az alignment method requires you to manually locate the first star, you have to guess where it is although it does give you the Azimuth and Altitude of the star or object. When I did a first object guess at Mercury and got to the next step, the list of 2nd alignment stars it gave me was only Sirius and Arcturus, neither of which were up at that time. So I am at a loss as to how to get it to work.

I did try just manually moving the mount to the Sun and selecting "Solar" as the tracking method. That sort of worked, but it required recentering every few minutes. When I checked where it thought it was using the "Show Position" option, it showed numbers indicating that it thought it was looking at a terrestrial object. It needs to align to something, but it is beyond me how to go about it. I cannot understand why Synta does not include the Sun as an object. On the Celestron mounts, it does not show up as a default object, but has to be enabled. That is fine, at least it is in there. If Synta had a one object align in Alt-Az for quick viewing of solar system objects which included the Sun, even if you would have to enable it, that would be a great help.

I suppose the "User Object" option could be used if you know the current RA/Dec or Alt/Az position of the Sun, but it still needs a starting point as a reference as Uncle Rod mentioned. I don't see any way to define that. I can try that but I am not hopeful.

JohnD

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnpd
sage

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: johnpd]
      #5659327 - 02/03/13 03:29 AM

I may have found a solution but it might be a few days before I can thoroughly test it. It occurred to me last night that we might be able to use the auxiliary encoders to help find the Sun. I had them disabled because the manual says that you can get better "goto's" with them off. This is what I did.

1) Moved the mount to AZ Mode Home position (pointing North with telescope level: 0 Az, 0 Alt)
2) Turned on the mount and selected AZ Mode.
3) Enabled the Auxiliary Encoders.
4) In the Utility menu, set Home to "Current Position". (Not sure if this is necessary but I did not think it would hurt.)
5) In the Utility menu, I went to "Show Position". It displayed "0-Az, 0-Alt".
6) I then moved the mount manually pointing to the southwest at about 40 degrees up.
7) I again checked the "Show Position". It gave me the approximate Az and Alt of where I was pointing.

So if I get the coordinates of the Sun at the time I set up for solar viewing, it looks like I will be able to move the scope to that position, turn on "solsr" tracking and hopefully it will track properly. Keeping my fingers crossed.

JohnD

johnpd
sage

#5662261 - 02/04/13 06:26 PM

IT WORKS!!! I have had it tracking for about a half hour and the Sun is still centered. Some modifications of what I posted above:

1) It does not look like you need to set the Home position in the Utility menu. AZ Mode defaults to 0-Az 0-Alt when you turn it on. Just make sure the scope is pointing true north and is parallel to the ground before you turn the mount on.

2) VERY IMPORTANT: Do not set the Tracking Rate to "Solar" until you have aligned the scope to the Sun. When I set the rate first, position numbers were changing even though the mount was not moving.

3) You probably could use the hand controller directional arrows (with or without the Auxiliary encoders enabled) to move the scope to the Sun. The default slew rate is maximum (9). I find moving the mount manually easier.

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #5662470 - 02/04/13 08:49 PM

John,

Thanks for testing this out. I will have to give it a try - maybe this weekend when I go camping.

Jack

Skrenlin

Reged: 12/13/10

Loc: North Chicagoland area
      #5664156 - 02/05/13 06:49 PM

I'm extremely intrigued by this mount and am considering it as an upgrade for my Sirius EQ-G. I have some concerns, however, over the belt drives. What happens if/when a belt breaks? Especially if it's in alt/az mode? What's the projected lifespan of the belts? Is there a suggested replacement schedule for them?

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5664379 - 02/05/13 09:50 PM

John,

I just tried your procedure inside. Between step 2 and step 3, I had to put in the location, time zone, date and time before I could enable the auxiliary encoders. Once I enabled the aux encoders, moved to a fake Sun position and started solar tracking, the mount began to do so. I went to show positon and could see the alt and az changing.

So my question is do you have to enter all the values stated after setting AZ mode?

Jack

johnpd
sage

#5664631 - 02/06/13 03:36 AM

Hi Jack,

I don't know. I guess it would not matter since you are manually aligning to a spot in the sky. I just do it as a matter of course. The HC does save the location and time zone from your last session (at least it has for me) so you would only have to enter the date and time.

JohnD

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Skrenlin]
      #5664752 - 02/06/13 07:50 AM

Quote:

I'm extremely intrigued by this mount and am considering it as an upgrade for my Sirius EQ-G. I have some concerns, however, over the belt drives. What happens if/when a belt breaks? Especially if it's in alt/az mode? What's the projected lifespan of the belts? Is there a suggested replacement schedule for them?

How long does a timing belt last on an automobile? The relatively slow speed of the mount, even during go-tos, will mean that this is likely something you'll never have to worry about.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5664828 - 02/06/13 09:04 AM

Love this mount

Only use in altaz mode

TEC 140 with bino viewer as primary scope
TV NP 101 with Ethos as secondary

Gotos are great, tracking wonderful, stable enough if my nose hits the bino viewer, vibration stops quick, excellent software,,,and love the nose she makes....soooo much more pleasing than the metallic whiring with my CGE PRO....which is also working great for me....looking forward to putting the new StarSense camera on the Pro to automate the whole aligning task.

The AZ EQ6 takes 2 minutes to align..i use the GPS module then align on 2 stars...now i am using Rigel and Capella and thats it.

Skrenlin

Reged: 12/13/10

Loc: North Chicagoland area
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5665732 - 02/06/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How long does a timing belt last on an automobile? The relatively slow speed of the mount, even during go-tos, will mean that this is likely something you'll never have to worry about.

Judging by the belts pictured in the one picture I've seen of them, they are very much not constructed like timing belts in cars, but more like drive belts in cd players and tape drives. Those are very prone to dry-rot and tend to get all crumbly over time. That, of course, is judging strictly by the color and translucence of the belts I saw in the picture.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Skrenlin]
      #5665748 - 02/06/13 06:00 PM

Again, they will be used so infrequently and gently, relatively speaking, that you have nothing to worry about IMNSHO.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: HowardK]
      #5672817 - 02/10/13 06:28 PM

Howard,

How much clearance do you have when using the TEC-140 at the zenith? Are you on a pier or the tripod?

I wonder how this would do with a C11 EdgeHD and a modest refractor on the mount in Alt/Az?

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: JMW]
      #5673041 - 02/10/13 08:48 PM

Jeff
Am on the tripod

Clears the tripod at zenith no problem
However with the Denk power switch which sticks out 3 inches either side of the focuser then this will hit the tripod leg at anywhere from about 80 degrees up......but this could be adjusted out by moving the TEC forward and rebalancing the second scope, etc.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: HowardK]
      #5673052 - 02/10/13 08:55 PM

Thanks. I mostly use my TEC-140 on a DM6 but tracking is nice sometimes for public outreach. Currently my tracking mount is an AP900GTO but it lives full time on a concrete pier at my home. I only move it for multi-night star parties for imaging.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#5673458 - 02/11/13 03:36 AM

I am very happy with the az eq6 for my 140

Breeze though at medium mag will jostle the view.....the scoe is near 4' long after all.

Gotos are excellent, very quick to align and tracking seems great

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5673652 - 02/11/13 09:09 AM

Jeff,

I mounted my C9.25 onto my AZ-EQ6 and the mount did not flinch. When I take the OTA off of my CPC1100 mount for setup on my CGE PRO in my observatory, I will also try it on the AZ-EQ6. I am sure that this will not be a problem.

Jack Huerkamp

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
      #5674738 - 02/11/13 08:13 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

Can anyone say if the tripod assembly is exactly the same as the current standard Atlas? I am curious since I have a Losmandy HD tripod and Optical Supports adapter to mount a standard Atlas...I'd like to be able to do the same with the AZ model if possible. Thanks!

Clear Skies,
Brian

LTE

Reged: 12/15/12

Loc: Scotland
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 [Re: HowardK]
      #5689178 - 02/19/13 04:08 PM

The last two nights were clear and I tried my AZ-EQ6 in altaz mode. I had a slow start because I thought the manual advice that there was no required starting position meant a free choice, but in fact I found it only worked if the up arrow moves the telescope up in altitude, so the telescope must be east of the pier to start with. Once that was accepted, it went perfectly. After two calibration stars, GoTos were all central in the field, better than any fork mounted CAT I have used attains regularly and at least as good as my CG-5 achieves after six calibration stars. The smoothness and solidity is really impressive. The RA and Dec clamps are well designed and grip over a range, instead of going tight in a short turn and needing a tool to undo at dawn.
There are a few inconveniences: there are lots of things for the power cable to snag on, especially as it has a fat component (fuse?) located near the mount end of the cable. The handbox cable is very short and while adequate for a CAT, is difficult to reach from a Newtonian observing position - I have a Skywatcher 8in F5. There are too few slots for user objects and the procedure to enter them when needed requires more keystrokes than some other mounts do.
For comparison, I can enter a night's worth of variable stars in the memory of my LX80, which speeds up the observing. However, these are minor faults which can be fixed. This is a great mount.

Tom.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 [Re: LTE]
      #5691112 - 02/20/13 03:08 PM

Agree with all comments

Hand contol cable too short
Velcro it to the top of all 3 legs

Frank @ Van

Reged: 01/24/05

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 [Re: HowardK]
      #5692677 - 02/21/13 12:46 PM

I found that you can use a long Ethernet cable to replace the one comes with the mount.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8462

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics