Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: CGE Pro 'portability', repeated dis assembly, etc. new [Re: end]
      #5600032 - 01/01/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, according to this link http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-cge-pro-mount.html the head breaks down into a 45 and 30 lbs components. Just how easy/not easy that is is another thing. I'll check out our other suggestions....

Thanks for the clarification on the mount breakdown. The link in the post by end shows how he's broken it down, but he's claiming that the combined breakdown (which does not separate the two axes) still has a piece well over 50lb.

I looked everywhere on the link at Celestron and I can't find where it claims that the mount head breaks down into pieces of 45lb and 30lb.

-Wade

In just over a week I'll have an opportunity to re-weigh all the components so I'll double check that 57 pound number, but I don't have any real reason to doubt it.

Regarding the height, I made a small modification to my CGE PRO tripod to lower it, and more importantly widen the stance of the tripod. I posted a thread on it here: thread. Basically what I did was replace the bottom aluminum spreaders with slightly longer ones. It was a pretty easy and cheap modification. The key before and after photo is here:

FANTASTIC!!! I was just on my hands and knees, looking at my CPC1100 and Atlas EQ-G tripod. I had loosened the hex locking set screws and was able to pull out the stainless steel legs. I was thinking of just cutting maybe 1 or 2" off the top and reinserting the leg. I could move the 3 clamps for the 3 armed stabilizer up or down depending. But I noticed that If I move it up too much, when folded, the center disk hits the bottom center bolt stopping it from completely folding. Now I haven't yet read your link yet, but my way would make the footprint smaller, and I dont think thats the best way to go. Now on to reading your link. Thanks very much!! Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: CGE Pro 'portability', repeated dis assembly, etc. new [Re: end]
      #5600060 - 01/01/13 06:05 PM

Quote:

In just over a week I'll have an opportunity to re-weigh all the components so I'll double check that 57 pound number, but I don't have any real reason to doubt it.

I'm not skeptical of your numbers. They make sense for what you show in your pictures. I am skeptical of the claim that Celestron says that the mount breaks down into two pieces of 45lb and 30lb. I haven't been able to find any reference to this.

Oh, and the tripod modification is awesome. I came away really impressed with the CGE Pro after I had a chance to use one for a bit. You've addressed the two issues that I had with it. It's still a bit heavy at 57lb, but that's far more manageable than 75lb.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGE Pro 'portability', repeated dis assembly, etc. new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5600062 - 01/01/13 06:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, according to this link http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-cge-pro-mount.html the head breaks down into a 45 and 30 lbs components. Just how easy/not easy that is is another thing. I'll check out our other suggestions....

Thanks for the clarification on the mount breakdown. The link in the post by end shows how he's broken it down, but he's claiming that the combined breakdown (which does not separate the two axes) still has a piece well over 50lb.

I looked everywhere on the link at Celestron and I can't find where it claims that the mount head breaks down into pieces of 45lb and 30lb.

-Wade

Regarding the height, I made a small modification to my CGE PRO tripod to lower it, and more importantly widen the stance of the tripod. I posted a thread on it here: thread. Basically what I did was replace the bottom aluminum spreaders with slightly longer ones. It was a pretty easy and cheap modification. The key before and after photo is here:

FANTASTIC!!! I was just on my hands and knees, looking at my CPC1100 and Atlas EQ-G tripod. I had loosened the hex locking set screws and was able to pull out the stainless steel legs. I was thinking of just cutting maybe 1 or 2" off the top and reinserting the leg. I could move the 3 clamps for the 3 armed stabilizer up or down depending. But I noticed that If I move it up too much, when folded, the center disk hits the bottom center bolt stopping it from completely folding. Now I haven't yet read your link yet, but my way would make the footprint smaller, and I dont think thats the best way to go. Now on to reading your link. Thanks very much!! Bob

Looks great. A question, the 3 arm stabilizer, do you fold that up, or down? The picture looks like the central disc is upside down. Now to see if this would work with a CGE PRO. Many thanks for the link, END.

end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #5600386 - 01/01/13 09:49 PM

Quote:

Looks great. A question, the 3 arm stabilizer, do you fold that up, or down? The picture looks like the central disc is upside down. Now to see if this would work with a CGE PRO. Many thanks for the link, END.

It folds up when you collapse the tripod. The central disk has little cut-outs under each cross bar to allow it to move up. However, I've only collapsed the tripod a few times. Even when transporting the entire rig to a remote dark site I usually put the tripod into the back of the minivan in its spread configuration.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGE Pro 'portability', repeated dis assembly, etc. new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5600507 - 01/01/13 11:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not skeptical of your numbers. They make sense for what you show in your pictures. I am skeptical of the claim that Celestron says that the mount breaks down into two pieces of 45lb and 30lb. I haven't been able to find any reference to this.

Oh, and the tripod modification is awesome. I came away really impressed with the CGE Pro after I had a chance to use one for a bit. You've addressed the two issues that I had with it. It's still a bit heavy at 57lb, but that's far more manageable than 75lb.

Wade , in the celestron mount video, it shows the pro breaking apart and. They show the weights in the video graphically

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #5600949 - 01/02/13 10:23 AM

Thanks for the video reference. I generally don't bother to watch the videos.

In this case, I would take the 45/30 comment with a grain of salt. I would trust End's 57/18 estimates more. The RA/Dec assembly is where the weight is. I doubt that the "wedge" part that is underneath the RA axis could possibly be 35lb.

For what it's worth, the engineer in the video makes a number of other technical errors in his statements. For example, he says that the capacity of the original CGE is 45lb. This is not true. Celestron has always rated the original CGE at 65lb payload. Here is a written reference to the correct number from Celestron.

He also states that the dec worm block is spring loaded, but the RA is not. I believe that this was once true, but the current shipping CGE Pro mounts have both worm blocks spring loaded.

Anyway, my suggestion is to trust the printed materials more than comments in a video. Also, this thread has been a great source of information.

Clear skies,
-Wade

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5601154 - 01/02/13 12:17 PM

You can separate the DEC from the RA axis on the CGE Pro. However, you are disassembling the mount to do this. It requires the removal of four allen head bolts. These bolts are usually thread locked in place. In addition, the DEC can sometimes be difficult to remove. The mount was not designed for this type of disassembly for transport and that is obvious. If it had been, then they would have made it easier to do and would not be threadlocking things together. In addition, the bolts used to hold the axes together on the CGE Pro are much smaller than those used on the original CGE.

The base of the mount is quite heavy, but I would probably put it at more like 25 pounds. I will have to wiegh one sometime. That would leave about 65 pounds for the axes with the DEC being a bit lighter than the RA.

I conclusion, yes you can disassemble the mount for transport but it was not specifically designed for that. It is merely the result of the manufacturing requirements. I don't particularly recommend doing this, but I guess there isn't really a problem as long as you don't strip out the bolt holes or lose the bolts.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

#5601167 - 01/02/13 12:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the video reference. I generally don't bother to watch the videos.

In this case, I would take the 45/30 comment with a grain of salt. I would trust End's 57/18 estimates more. The RA/Dec assembly is where the weight is. I doubt that the "wedge" part that is underneath the RA axis could possibly be 35lb.

For what it's worth, the engineer in the video makes a number of other technical errors in his statements. For example, he says that the capacity of the original CGE is 45lb. This is not true. Celestron has always rated the original CGE at 65lb payload. Here is a written reference to the correct number from Celestron.

He also states that the dec worm block is spring loaded, but the RA is not. I believe that this was once true, but the current shipping CGE Pro mounts have both worm blocks spring loaded.

Anyway, my suggestion is to trust the printed materials more than comments in a video. Also, this thread has been a great source of information.

Clear skies,
-Wade

Hey Wade,
Interesting though, if you add End's GEM top half @57 lbs, and GEM bottom half @18.5 lbs, you get 75.5 lbs, which is what Celestron quoted. The individual weights are just quite off from each others component weights. Well, we'll just have to wait for End, when he has time and wants to weigh them again.
For me, I'm trying to get components down under my CPC1100 weight of 69.5 lbs (2 ADM rails and a moonlight focuser only) weird carrying pounds.
Also, if the original CGE had a capacity of 65lbs, and the DX is now rated at 50lbs, something is a bit off. Perhaps marketing has or was in the way of reality, either back in the day or now.
Well, also lets keep one of my original questions in mind, as to how easy (or not)/ or careful one must be) the Pro would be to assemble, disassemble all the time for moving it. Of course this weight issue is really the 1st step in determining that... A great thread!

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGE Pro 'portability', repeated dis assembly, etc. new [Re: EFT]
      #5601184 - 01/02/13 12:38 PM

Quote:

You can separate the DEC from the RA axis on the CGE Pro. However, you are disassembling the mount to do this. It requires the removal of four allen head bolts. These bolts are usually thread locked in place. In addition, the DEC can sometimes be difficult to remove. The mount was not designed for this type of disassembly for transport and that is obvious. If it had been, then they would have made it easier to do and would not be threadlocking things together. In addition, the bolts used to hold the axes together on the CGE Pro are much smaller than those used on the original CGE.

The base of the mount is quite heavy, but I would probably put it at more like 25 pounds. I will have to wiegh one sometime. That would leave about 65 pounds for the axes with the DEC being a bit lighter than the RA.

I conclusion, yes you can disassemble the mount for transport but it was not specifically designed for that. It is merely the result of the manufacturing requirements. I don't particularly recommend doing this, but I guess there isn't really a problem as long as you don't strip out the bolt holes or lose the bolts.

Great insight Ed. Interesting though that Celestron makes it a big point in their marketing. Threadlock is to keep things where they are, or when the threads are as tight as they should be, which is bad....

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5601280 - 01/02/13 01:41 PM

Quote:

...Also, if the original CGE had a capacity of 65lbs, and the DX is now rated at 50lbs, something is a bit off. Perhaps marketing has or was in the way of reality, either back in the day or now.

You're comparing apples and oranges. The 65lb weight limit was for the CGE (now discontinued) and the DX you mention refers to the CGEM DX - a completely different animal than the CGE. I have both and those limits both seem within reason to me. One would think that somebody at Celestron would be able to think up a less confusing naming convention, wouldn't one?
CGE (now discontinued, but a stated capacity of 65lbs)
CGE Pro (subject of this thread. Stated capacity of 90lbs)
CGEM (stated capacity of 40lbs)
CGEM DX (same tripod & counterweights as the CGE Pro, stated capacity of 50lbs)

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGE Pro 'portability', repeated dis assembly, etc. new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5601611 - 01/02/13 05:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...Also, if the original CGE had a capacity of 65lbs, and the DX is now rated at 50lbs, something is a bit off. Perhaps marketing has or was in the way of reality, either back in the day or now.

You're comparing apples and oranges. The 65lb weight limit was for the CGE (now discontinued) and the DX you mention refers to the CGEM DX - a completely different animal than the CGE. I have both and those limits both seem within reason to me. One would think that somebody at Celestron would be able to think up a less confusing naming convention, wouldn't one?
CGE (now discontinued, but a stated capacity of 65lbs)
CGE Pro (subject of this thread. Stated capacity of 90lbs)
CGEM (stated capacity of 40lbs)
CGEM DX (same tripod & counterweights as the CGE Pro, stated capacity of 50lbs)

DAG! Thanks, it is confusing, but I know better. DUH

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: CGE Pro 'portability', repeated dis assembly, etc. new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5601857 - 01/02/13 08:02 PM

Quote:

One would think that somebody at Celestron would be able to think up a less confusing naming convention, wouldn't one?

Yes. And don't forget the ORIGINAL CGE Pro; that one had a capacity of maybe 250 pounds. Prototypes were displayed but that model never made it into production.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

#5733111 - 03/14/13 10:08 PM

I've purchased and have put some time on my CGE Pro mount. I've lowered it based on the info/link above. Its 4" lower now. One thing to remember is that the angle on the legs change, so the angle on the eyepiece tray/stiffener doesn't line up anymore. Just the top of the tray leg slots makes contact with the legs. But the mount is fine with this.
In addition, I've replaced the bolts in the electronics pier with thumbscrews and collars so this piece can also be separated from the tripod, making it just a bit lighter, but of course giving you one more thing to carry. The thumbscrews make it go together fast and strong.
I take the mount apart. Its easy, but when assembling it, you have to watch your finger when inserting the polar axis housing inside the side plate frame. You just have to take 2 large thumbscrews out, along with two very small thumbscrews for the latitude indicator. I can do this all by myself and I use my chair to sit the C14 upon and then just mate it to the dovetail. But I'm not that comfortable with the size of the seat on the chair in relationship to the C14's cover, so I'm making a bigger platform for it in order to be larger than the diameter of the cover of the C14. The Go To is super accurate, and I use 5 total stars for alignment. I like how the mount brings the scope to a 'home' position and then aligns from there. You can use that position to get Polaris in a finder eyepiece by adjusting the latitude bolt and azimuth bolts, but that's not necessary according to the instructions, but I do it anyway.
The whole thing is easier than my CPC1100 was, but has more pieces to move.
Clear skies to you all.
bob

Starblazer999

Reged: 03/04/13

Loc: Australia
      #5733418 - 03/15/13 02:26 AM

I Take mine out with a sack truck then ad scope and counter weights after just use the wife to help

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2452

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics