Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
artcarter

Reged: 08/22/12

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: fuzzystuff4ever]
      #5616145 - 01/10/13 07:43 PM

Quote:

Where is there information about it? I looked on Celestron's site and on several vendor sites and can't find any mention of it.

Brian

Here's the link:
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-advancedvx-mount.html

Art

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dandabson]
      #5616554 - 01/11/13 12:40 AM

Probably I will buy one together with a C8 Edge

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: bilgebay]
      #5616607 - 01/11/13 02:29 AM

I've been asked about the noise levels of this new mount.

I think it's slews are quieter than my AS-GT but it's not silent - except when tracking.

It has the reduced rate 9 speed option.

Chris

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5616971 - 01/11/13 10:19 AM

I will never understand why people complain about CG5 slew noise, the mount is completely silent when tracking!

Cheers,

Jose

Edited by tjugo (01/11/13 10:20 AM)

Ken Hutchinson
sage

Reged: 04/24/03

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5616985 - 01/11/13 10:30 AM

Hi all, I don't think I have posted on this or any astronomy forum in quite a while. But I too was tapped to beta test the VX mount. I am not an imager, not even close, but I think it safe to say that anyone who liked the ASGT will like the VX even more. Everything about it is a bit nicer, a bit more robust, and of course up to date. It is amazing how the simple, simple addition of an RTC makes it more pleasant to use than its predecessor.

I scanned through the comments above and can answer a couple of questions I think have gone unanswered. The power connector is beside the thread on "south" polar axis cover. The power connector inserts parallel to the polar axis and it uses a connector with a threaded locking nut. The power cord is probably overly generous in length (I suppose for the benefit of those who power off an outlet in their cars) but it is decently heavy duty. It is the first Celestron supplied power cord that I have felt is worth using. To be fair I have not received one in quite a while and they may have upgraded their cords years ago, I remember the old, useless ones.

I've done a fair bit of testing with a Megrez 110 and a Celestron C6R which is counter weighted to move the eyepiece end a bit farther from the ground and comes in at 30 pounds before I add a diagonal or EP. For visual use it handles both of those loads like they aren't even there. So far I have run it down to 12 F (about -10 C) without any issues other than the expected LCD sluggishness. It points at least as accurately as any Celestron mount I own (Nexstar GPS, CGE, ASGT, CGEM), probably a bit better.

I would not say it is quieter than the original, although as Chris said it does have the reduced rate 9.

I think low latitude users will be happy with it. You will have to remove one of the adjustment screws. I believe if you live below about 5 deg you will have to tip the tripod slightly to get CW clearance. However it does adjust down to zero degrees and if you mount it on a permanent pier of small enough diameter it will be completely at home at the equator. Even at 42 degrees C6R owners like me will find that the focuser end of that OTA will crash into tripod legs during slews near the zenith so constant vigilance is required. Because of that I long ago purchased the 16 inch Orion pier extension for my ASGT. Be warned, although the Orion extension sorta fits the new mount and tripod you will have to remove the AZ adjust lugs and the mount head is not properly supported. So don't go there, you won't be happy. However if someone were to come out with a modified version of that pier extension or even just supply a modified upper mount head interface bracket for it you could have a completely portable setup that works fine at zero degrees and is free from long OTA crashes at any latitude. Just a hint to anyone, Celestron included, who owns a telescope mount accessory business....

Even though I don't image I am preparing to try to measure the PE and PEC. Wish me luck, I'm in way over my head! And like Chris my efforts to do more beta testing have been severely hampered by clouds. I've done enough to give it an enthusiastic thumbs up though!

Ken

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: tjugo]
      #5617036 - 01/11/13 10:57 AM

Quote:

I will never understand why people complain about CG5 slew noise, the mount is completely silent when tracking!

Cheers,

Jose

Just by doing some minor adjustments I have quieted my CG-5s down from about the 70db range to the 55db range. The larger the scope the louder the mount. The OTA acts like a megaphone. Using 'Custom Rate 9' reduces the noise level even more.

Stan

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5617045 - 01/11/13 11:04 AM

That is exactly what I am thinking too, Sedat.

It looks like they are offering a $100 savings on the C8 Edge HD + VX bundle (I assume "under $2000 means $1999).

Of course, if they end up clearing out Edge HD OTAs again and discounting the C8 version $200, buying the VX at full price and the OTA at a discount would be a better deal.

- Jim

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5617322 - 01/11/13 01:54 PM

Hi Jim,

My CG5 served me without any headaches for almost 8 years. Last year I sold it and bought an Astrotrac as part of my increased mobility plans but still missing the functionality and ease of use of CG5. As soon as I saw the VX news, I made the decision What remains now is to turn this into a reality If we can get a good deal on the bundle, that would be the icing on the cake as you say.

I plan to buy a Hyperstar lens for the C8 for imaging at f/2, which would take care of most of the tracking issues in addition to PEC and guiding.

This will be my dream setup for shooting on the go.

Clear skies

Sedat

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
      #5617458 - 01/11/13 03:25 PM

The VX mount alone is priced right ($799), assuming this isn't only an "introductory" price which goes to $999 or something like that soon. If it works as advertised - something we will all know in only few months - it's a mount/tripod combo which can be bought and used by many for both causual visual astronomy and casual astroimaging. I know I will consider buying one. It's still fairly portable and can carry a payload of up 30 lbs. Not bad and definitively beats the competitor, LX80, which is, besides having issues, anywhere between $850 and $1,000 (most places $999).

Orionis91
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Maryland USA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: belgrade]
      #5617930 - 01/11/13 08:14 PM

I think this mount is a great idea, the question is, will it be enough to shake us from our already well loved ASGT's. I love the GoTo's I get with my Cg-5, and I just got my imaging set up working (yay). I will watch this mount and consider upgrading, but for me, the main thing to push me over the edge and buy it would be tracking performance and ease of use. Thumbs up for this little thing

landshark99

Reged: 12/16/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Orionis91]
      #5618037 - 01/11/13 09:17 PM

I just ordered one for my ES 127cf,they are supposed to start showing up in a few weeks

Edited by landshark99 (01/11/13 09:28 PM)

bsim
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/04/08

Loc: Miskatonic
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: landshark99]
      #5619255 - 01/12/13 03:15 PM

Looks like a nice mount. I'm looking forward to the reviews. I'm very happy with my CG-5 GT mount which has very good tracking and goto. I'm a strictly visual observer and don't use anything heavier than a C8. The only concern I have is that the VX mount looks to be quite large. The CG-5 GT mount is fairly compact and fits in a Plano case.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: bsim]
      #5619573 - 01/12/13 06:13 PM

Actually, just the plain CG-5 was a very good mount, and it was based on the vixen Super Polaris. So the idea of a fourth generation for this size and style is interesting.

-Rich

Orionis91
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Maryland USA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Starhawk]
      #5619941 - 01/12/13 10:33 PM

Anything based on the SP is good, I agree, CG-5 is built on SOLID ground. I am also very pleased with my CG-5. I hope this mount succeeds, and continues to strengthen the hobby.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5620518 - 01/13/13 10:57 AM

Well, what's cheery is that it seems to be an evolutionary product building on the strengths of past mounts and eliminating some weaknesses. Nothing "revolutionary" and apparently not subjecting early adopters to the role of alpha testers as Meade seems to do repeatedly. It is interesting that the Vixen SP/GP heritage is so strong. Certainly, Synta has sufficient experience with the Tak type Sirius/HEQ-5 that it could have gone that route. Perhaps keeping the weight down was determative.

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Geo.]
      #5620623 - 01/13/13 11:55 AM

Anybody seen "just" the VX mount alone listed anywhere for preorder? OPT has some VX/Scope packages but not just the mount alone.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: zawijava]
      #5620644 - 01/13/13 12:05 PM

Astronomics has just the mount.

http://www.astronomics.com/celestron-advanced-vx-german-equatorial-telescope-...

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Mkofski]
      #5620905 - 01/13/13 02:21 PM

It looks a lot like they did something similar to the upgrade from the atlas to the CGEM. Much more evolutionary from the CG-5, and no hint they are considering a move to altaz.

-Rich

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
      #5621236 - 01/13/13 05:01 PM

Any confirmation that there are bearings in the Dec Axis?

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: zawijava]
      #5621328 - 01/13/13 05:52 PM

The "integer" gearbox is big news if it can be transferred to the CGEM. There is talk of a motor and control board package upgrade for the CGEM. That would take out the 8/3 error and make PPC something really useful in the CGEM. There is talk that there is a firmware update coming that does away with any DEC cogging issues. It looks like the CGEM and the VX are going in the right direction for Celestron.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 71822

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics