Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | (show all)
shakafell

Reged: 09/28/11

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Eric38]
      #6132465 - 10/12/13 04:29 AM

I just read in the manual that the calibration stars will be on the opposite side of the meridian from your 2 initial alignment stars.

So lets say I am going to stay exclusively on the east side of the meridian. Where should I pick my 2 alignment stars? I am guessing on the east. Should I still do 4 calibration stars on the west even though I am never going to observe over there? Is there any way to pick them on the east and will that make it perform better?

Thank you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carl N

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: shakafell]
      #6132868 - 10/12/13 11:33 AM

Read the manual. You can switch the routine to have the alignment stars be on either side. That way the calibration stars can be done on the side you are planning most of your visual use.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6132897 - 10/12/13 11:47 AM

Quote:

So lets say I am going to stay exclusively on the east side of the meridian. Where should I pick my 2 alignment stars? I am guessing on the east. Should I still do 4 calibration stars on the west even though I am never going to observe over there? Is there any way to pick them on the east and will that make it perform better?

The major reason for adding the calibration stars is so the firmware can calculate the cone error. However, if you stay exclusively on one side of the meridian, cone error is not so much a problem. Keep in mind, though, that if you do want to find something on the "wrong" side of the meridian, the cone error will probably render accurate gotos impossible. Additionally, the ASPA won't function correctly since cone error definitely is taken into account by the ASPA routine.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6132947 - 10/12/13 12:12 PM

Quote:

What is a "Keyspan"?

Here you go...the best, most compatible "USB to Serial" converter out there, in my opinion. I've used it with various PCs, various OSs, various external hardware requiring all manner of communications without any hitches whatsoever. Keyspan USA-19HS Hi-Speed USB Serial Adapter for PC or MAC

shakafell

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #6133043 - 10/12/13 12:57 PM

Quote:

Read the manual. You can switch the routine to have the alignment stars be on either side. That way the calibration stars can be done on the side you are planning most of your visual use.

That was my confusion. I'm not sure whether I should match the alignment stars to my preferred area or match the calibration stars.

So you are saying if I am observing on the east side of the meridian then I should pick 2 alignment stars on the WEST side and then 4 calibration stars on the east side. Is this correct?

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

#6133699 - 10/12/13 07:29 PM

And time for a question of my own...

I have two AVX's. One I use for outreach since it's a bit banged on (from using it for outreach) and the other I was planning to use for AP.

As I was using the AP mount I noticed odd behaviors.

Problem #1: When I would be doing alignments and using the UP direction button on the controller it would pause and then there would be a big "jump" in the motion almost like it was releasing stored tension on the worm drive and catching up to the point where it should be. It would do this if I was centering an object in the EP as well after alignment.

Problem #2: It would slew to the point where the OTA was pointing straight up and the weight bar was 90* to the ground with the head facing West and bar East. The motors would continue to run at full speed #9 but the mount would not move.

Problem #3: When I would target something near zenith it would be several degrees off target. Yet anything below 70* elevation would be fine.

This was not unique to one scope. It occurred with the 11" (where I first noticed it), the 8", and the Tak.

Defective mount/worm gear? Or am I missing something. Balance is good on all three and locks are tight but not hard tight. Battery is fully charged and it occurs when I run it on line power from the garage as well. Those were the first three things I thought of and checked.

Eric38

Reged: 05/04/07

Loc: Chicago
      #6133700 - 10/12/13 07:30 PM

Thanks Dave, for the link.

And to Shaka, I have had no problem what so ever with the goto finding and nearly centering every object regardless of it's location in the sky or the initial orientation of the alignment procedure. Just set up the scope and use it.

Dr Who, problem #1 sounds like the backlash is set too high for the RA positive adjustment.

Edited by Eric38 (10/12/13 07:34 PM)

Carl N

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
      #6133713 - 10/12/13 07:35 PM

It's what I do.

dr.who
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #6133718 - 10/12/13 07:37 PM

Hey Eric,

Thank you. I will check that. What is default? I ask because I don't think I played with that setting...

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: dr.who]
      #6133752 - 10/12/13 07:54 PM

Quote:

And time for a question of my own...

I have two AVX's. One I use for outreach since it's a bit banged on (from using it for outreach) and the other I was planning to use for AP.

As I was using the AP mount I noticed odd behaviors.

Problem #1: When I would be doing alignments and using the UP direction button on the controller it would pause and then there would be a big "jump" in the motion almost like it was releasing stored tension on the worm drive and catching up to the point where it should be. It would do this if I was centering an object in the EP as well after alignment.

Problem #2: It would slew to the point where the OTA was pointing straight up and the weight bar was 90* to the ground with the head facing West and bar East. The motors would continue to run at full speed #9 but the mount would not move.

Problem #3: When I would target something near zenith it would be several degrees off target. Yet anything below 70* elevation would be fine.

This was not unique to one scope. It occurred with the 11" (where I first noticed it), the 8", and the Tak.

Defective mount/worm gear? Or am I missing something. Balance is good on all three and locks are tight but not hard tight. Battery is fully charged and it occurs when I run it on line power from the garage as well. Those were the first three things I thought of and checked.

Number 1 is generally a sign of worm binding due to the spacing between the worm and ring gear being too tight. The worm binds and the motor board applies more power to the motor until it breaks free. Then it rushes ahead momentarily before coming back down to the normal speed. It's doubtful that the alignment would remain accurate after this.

Number 2 is an odd one that would suggest that either the clutch(es) is slipping or the gears are disengaging for some reason. I think that it is most likely that the clutch is slipping and you might not be as balanced as you thought. If it is the gears that are the problem, then it is more likely that the spur gears are disengaging rather than the worm and ring gear. It's possible that the setscrews on one of the spur gears is loose, but I would expect it to be a constant problem, not an intermittent one.

Number 3 is almost definitely related to number 2. That is, something is slipping.

So you appear to have one problem where something is too tight, and another problem where something else is too loose.

shakafell

#6134124 - 10/13/13 12:26 AM

Quote:

And to Shaka, I have had no problem what so ever with the goto finding and nearly centering every object regardless of it's location in the sky or the initial orientation of the alignment procedure. Just set up the scope and use it.

Sounds good. I guess I am coming from a mount that is very finicky so I just want to give it what it wants. Just got my AVX yesterday and waiting for a chance to try it out.

dr.who
professor emeritus

#6136285 - 10/14/13 04:52 AM

Thank you Ed!! I will be calling Celestron first thing tomorrow to talk to them about a RMA.

shakafell

#6141799 - 10/16/13 09:00 PM

Can someone explain the "Get Axis Postn" command. I thought this would show me the Alt Az coordinates. But when I tried it on the moon last night it was showing me an Altitude of 357 degrees which is obviously impossible. Even when I'm pointing at the North Pole it says 90 alt and 90 azm.

The mount has been aligned and it does show the proper RA Dec for any object. The gotos and tracking are otherwise perfect. I'm just wondering what is going on with these alt/az coordinates. Is there a bug here?

Edited by shakafell (10/16/13 09:01 PM)

Dr.Don

Reged: 05/31/13

Loc: Northern California
      #6142228 - 10/17/13 02:27 AM

I had a similar problem with a brand new AVX. Instead of the Up button, I saw the same thing with the Right button. It didn't always fail but when it did the exact thing you described happened. I returned it within the 30 day period and got a new replacement. It was no hassle at all except::: Celestron wanted everything back and shipped me a whole new C9.25 system. Fortunately I still had the boxes and most of the packing material. But I had to pack up my C9.25 and everything. Fortunately I bought it from Orion and their store is a 10 minute drive from my office. My new one works great.

SkipW
sage

Reged: 02/03/11

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
      #6143815 - 10/17/13 09:43 PM

Quote:

Can someone explain the "Get Axis Postn" command. I thought this would show me the Alt Az coordinates. But when I tried it on the moon last night it was showing me an Altitude of 357 degrees which is obviously impossible. Even when I'm pointing at the North Pole it says 90 alt and 90 azm.

The mount has been aligned and it does show the proper RA Dec for any object. The gotos and tracking are otherwise perfect. I'm just wondering what is going on with these alt/az coordinates. Is there a bug here?

The Axis Positions are the physical position of the RA (Az for an Alt-Az mount) and Dec (Alt) Axes. I was hoping the same thing you were, but nope. I don't think it's a bug, but the names are certainly misleading with an Eq, to say the least!

They both read 0 - 360, and indicate 90 and 90 at the index positions. Your "Alt" of 357 represents a Dec of -3 degrees; does that sound about right? I think when they read 0 and 0 you're pointing to the celestial equator and meridian (assuming mount perfectly aligned and leveled, no cone error, etc., etc.), but haven't actually checked this. Same (equator and meridian) for 180 and 180 from the other side of the mount (need to check).

mamamia

Reged: 10/11/13

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: SkipW]
      #6144177 - 10/18/13 02:47 AM

Holy AVX thread Batman, I was thinking about getting IEQ30 for my new scope Edge 8HD and Es 102 used for Visual and future AP. Now, I am heading to buy an AVX.

shakafell

Arrrgh new [Re: mamamia]
      #6154805 - 10/24/13 04:16 AM

So tonight I became the victim of the cabling nightmare associated with imaging. A cable got snagged on the knob on the tripod. I knew these would be trouble. I am going to see if I can remove them.

The mount kept trying to slew for a good 2 or 3 seconds while it was stuck. So the question is has any damage been done by this?

It seemed to be ok after I redid my alignment except for one goto that was off by almost 2 degrees. Some of the rest were not as accurate as I expect either. Now I am never going to know if the mount is behaving normally or if something has gone wrong...

Edited by shakafell (10/24/13 04:17 AM)

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Arrrgh [Re: shakafell]
      #6154888 - 10/24/13 06:58 AM

no, you won't have done any damage to the mount motors if thats what you mean, but check the cable connection plug/socket isn't damaged though

schluterdude

Reged: 08/05/13

Loc: Centerville, OH
Re: Arrrgh [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #6155030 - 10/24/13 09:02 AM

I run a large newt on mine, and occasionally the bottom of the tube gets hung up on a leg. That's why there are slipper clutches! They aren't meant to take a healthy diet of slippage, but every once in a while.... That's why they are there!

I also do not tighten the snot out of them. Just enough to hold everything snug, but loose enough if someone leans on it, it'll move. I'd rather line it back up than risk a ding in the worm assembly....

shakafell

Re: Arrrgh [Re: schluterdude]
      #6155879 - 10/24/13 04:21 PM

Thanks guys. I feel better now. The cable connection itself is fine.

I do tend to tighten my clutches a lot. I supposed I should ease up on that?

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 72225

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics