Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | (show all)
nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/03/13

Loc: FEMA camp
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: ben2112]
      #6341282 - 01/28/14 03:29 PM

Quote:

I have a question. How long of an exposure time can the VX mount do without using an autoguider?

Depends on what focal length you're using and how good a job you did aligning.

With a 600mm focal length I was able to do 1.5 to 2 min unguided with consistent results. Balance is important as well. You can also use the PEC feature to help with unguided work.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6341351 - 01/28/14 04:04 PM

I am going to be using my C8 with a F6.3 focal reducer. So I might be able to get 1min at the most. So, an autoguider has been added to my list.

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

#6341385 - 01/28/14 04:17 PM

You might have a tough slog starting out with the C8. Even with the reducer that's a pretty long focal length so your guiding is going to need to be very good with a proper guidescope for that focal length. The other problem will be getting a good focus and focus shift from mirror flop - you can't lock down the mirror on the C8 like you can with the Edge scopes.

You might consider starting with an inexpensive 80mm or shorter refractor.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6341636 - 01/28/14 06:48 PM

Quote:

You might have a tough slog starting out with the C8. Even with the reducer that's a pretty long focal length so your guiding is going to need to be very good with a proper guidescope for that focal length. The other problem will be getting a good focus and focus shift from mirror flop - you can't lock down the mirror on the C8 like you can with the Edge scopes.

You might consider starting with an inexpensive 80mm or shorter refractor.

Not really. The VX guides just find with a 50mm finder/guidescope and the Orion StarShoot guidecam. Focus shift will not cause any problem at all at f/6.3, and neither will mirror flop if you don't cross the Meridian while imaging and/or remember to finish focus uphill.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6341816 - 01/28/14 08:21 PM

I understand about mirror flop, but for the moment, I can only afford the mount due to needing to replace my laptop I was using. It died. I'll probably get the mount and a reducer. I'll have to save up more pennies for an autoguider camera and scope down the road.

Right now, I am just waiting for my tax return to come in. Which should be in a couple of weeks or so.

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

#6341856 - 01/28/14 08:46 PM

You'll have a fantastic set up for lunar, planetary and solar work right off the bat! If you already have a DSLR you can do great wide field piggyback work or mount the camera directly to the mount for longer exposure deep sky with short telephoto lenses.

Edited by nodalpoint (01/28/14 08:48 PM)

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

#6341891 - 01/28/14 09:07 PM

Like Uncle Rod I have had a C8 on both a CG5 and an AVX and it autoguides just fine for me with the 6.3 reducer, even using only the 50mm Orion miniguidescope, with mirror flop not being a problem for me either. It was what I started with as a beginner, and it worked just fine for me from the start. Yes an 80mm scope would guide more easily, but a C8 works and guides just fine too on AVX and even CG5 mounts, in my experience, even as a beginner.

There is a message thread on exactly what sort of unguided exposure times some people have been able to get on an AVX mount after PEC training somewhere here in CN, or perhaps it is a series of posts somewhere in this long AVX thread. You'll have to hunt for it, unles someone else can post a link here. My memory of those messages is that some people were talking of 90% to 70% of 60-90 second exposures being useable with the right OTA after proper PEC training(probably something with a shorter FL than a C8 OTA though, but I can't remember that).

Cheers,
Chris M

Quote:

I understand about mirror flop, but for the moment, I can only afford the mount due to needing to replace my laptop I was using. It died. I'll probably get the mount and a reducer. I'll have to save up more pennies for an autoguider camera and scope down the road.

Right now, I am just waiting for my tax return to come in. Which should be in a couple of weeks or so.

seawolfe
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Winger51N]
      #6342409 - 01/29/14 05:27 AM

Quote:

Hi, I have this mount with the EdgeHD 8" OTA. I love this scope but had trouble with it the other night; I was doing the alignment and went from a star in the West to Betelgeuse in the SE, and the mount seemed to hit resistance while moving up the sky in declination. The motor was trying to work but the mount was stuck.

I was connected by DC to my car outlet, and it was quite cold out, around -16C.

I'll be testing the mount again tonight inside my home and plugged into AC. I guess if it has trouble pointing upward in declination (to the South only it seems) I'll have to contact Celestron for warranty replacement.

Does this sound familiar at all to anyone?

Cheers

I think you're probably pushing the mount... I contacted Celestron about problems I was having with my AVX in the cold....well, not as cold as you were experiencing but Celestron said to me that the AVX should operate normally down to +19F. So if you are out at -16C, then NO WONDER you were having issues.

Winger51N
journeyman

Reged: 11/21/13

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6343201 - 01/29/14 01:49 PM

Yep, the problem with the mount was confirmed by Celestron technical support:

"As for the scope getting stuck, this happened because it was too cold out. Our scopes lose it's functionality as it goes below freezing. One of the symptoms is that the tracking will start to lock up, in either one axis or both axis. Sorry for the inconvenience."

I live in Calgary and I've used the mount before with no problems when it was near freezing, so I'll have to watch for clear nights and not too cold. That should prove to be a challenge.

Winger51N
journeyman

Reged: 11/21/13

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Ken Hutchinson]
      #6343543 - 01/29/14 04:13 PM

This is great information Ken, thanks, you just saved me $60+ for a polar scope. I'll try your method next time under the stars.

Cheers,
Winger

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Winger51N]
      #6343624 - 01/29/14 04:44 PM

Thanks for the great info guys. I'll order an autoguider setup when I order the mount. Come on Tax Return!!!

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #6373592 - 02/13/14 03:57 AM

Heads up, there is a post pertaining to PE results on the AVX in the beginner imaging forum. http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6373521

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6375806 - 02/14/14 10:52 AM

anyone know if the supposed lockup due to the cold, is down to the grease used on the gears?

Would a different cold resistant grease be any better?..

rephrase the question.. what exactly gets locked up..

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #6375813 - 02/14/14 10:54 AM

No, it's because of the electronics, not some issue with grease.

patdut63fromFr

Reged: 07/31/07

Loc: France
      #6377288 - 02/15/14 07:17 AM

This is not a good new to know that the mount don't authorize the autoguiding in winter when nights are really cold and really clear. That would be a mess.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: patdut63fromFr]
      #6377426 - 02/15/14 09:44 AM

Quote:

This is not a good new to know that the mount don't authorize the autoguiding in winter when nights are really cold and really clear. That would be a mess.

Not sure what you mean by "authorize the autoguiding," but if your weather is cold enough to cause problems, just rubberbanding some chemical handwarmer packs is usually enough to get it going. That probably won't work at 20 below, but who wants to observe then, anyway?

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #6377721 - 02/15/14 01:02 PM

Wow! It has take 3 months to fill the last 2 pages on this thread. It looks like most of the issues with the AVX have been worked out. Are there no challenges left?
Be Well
Grey

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #6377725 - 02/15/14 01:04 PM

Quote:

anyone know if the supposed lockup due to the cold, is down to the grease used on the gears?

Would a different cold resistant grease be any better?..

rephrase the question.. what exactly gets locked up..

Over the last few weeks I've had mine out several times for a couple hours running between 5 and 10F with no issue other than a thick layer of frost on everything at the end.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Greyhaven]
      #6377771 - 02/15/14 01:29 PM

Quote:

Wow! It has take 3 months to fill the last 2 pages on this thread. It looks like most of the issues with the AVX have been worked out. Are there no challenges left?
Be Well
Grey

Part of the reason is that the mount is (mostly) a known quantity. It is an improved CG5...not too much to go horribly wrong. I do note for those living in climates like mine that are not arctic cold that the Plus HC seems unaffected by the lower 30s F.

Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: seawolfe]
      #6378118 - 02/15/14 04:59 PM

Quote:

Celestron said to me that the AVX should operate normally down to +19F. So if you are out at -16C, then NO WONDER you were having issues.

It's not impossible. I have successfully used mine down to 5F (-15C). No issues other than *I* was miserable. Humidity was very, very low though - there was no frost at all.

Pages: << 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 79681

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics