Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | >> (show all)
dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Charlie B]
      #6126716 - 10/09/13 10:38 AM

Charlie, what mount are you using it on? From following this thread it seems the SE has no problems, but the CG-5 CGEM etc (E/Q) mounts are having a hard time, thank you,
Kasey

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
UBobW

Reged: 06/27/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6127299 - 10/09/13 03:47 PM

Quote:

Hi Bob,

Those are very unusual firmware versions for a production unit I think, as my production unit shipped in early september had higher numbered/dated versions of both the HC and camera firmware, which I have comfirmed with celestron were the standard production unit versions.

I know you would rather not have to, and I understand your reasoning on why, but the situation is what it is now, and in your case in particular it might pay you to join team celestron, check with the firmware engineers you can talk directly to there about your curent versions, and possibly update if they recommend that. I think you will find them friendly and helpful, and they have been very responsive there in the last couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Chris M

Quote:

Im definitely on old code though it is surprising given that the unit just shipped out of Celestron CA on Oct 1.

Star sense HC ver 01.04.13290 bld May 22, 2013.
Starsense Camera ver 00.00.0000
Motor control MDL advanced VX azm ver 6.7 alt ver 6.7

Early adopter or not if the thing doesnt have the latest and greatest software out of the box, i should have some option of upgrading it and not have to wait and join a beta testers site and wait for access to get code that is 'better'

Bob

Thanks Chris! I joined team Celestron and am posting and getting help there!

Bob

dve1
journeyman

Reged: 03/22/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: UBobW]
      #6127348 - 10/09/13 04:18 PM

Hi again All (especially Dr. Who),

Sorry for another newbie question, but what is this "ASPA" that is not working? I'm guessing PA is Polar Align so this means All-Star Polar Align?? or am I way off? At any rate, from the context of the discussion it sounds like adding calibration stars before Polar Align is what causes problems for EQ mounts. Am I close?

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6127357 - 10/09/13 04:22 PM

I'm using the CGEM.

Charlie B.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #6127411 - 10/09/13 04:44 PM

If your ASPA is anywhere close to accurate you need to contact Celestron. You are the first. They have admitted it is not working and are going to have a firmware update fdor it. When you say working, did you check to make sure the position was correct when finished by drift aligning or some other procedure? Using my SSA and doing an ASPA the altitude is off by about 5 degrees or so and the az about 3 degrees or so. If you have you old HC an easy test would be to do an align and aspa with the old HC. Turn the mount off and und connect the SSA. Do an alignment and ASPA with the SSA and see how much it asks you to move the mount. If it is any at all one of them was wrong.

I guess I should have previewed my post. After reading it it sounds kind of snippy. Didn't mean it that way Charlie. I meant Celestron would probably be interested in you MC version, HC version, and Camera version as well as your procedures as no one else has been able to get ASPA to be accurate yet. It may make the firmware update easier for them.

Edited by Stew57 (10/09/13 05:07 PM)

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6127480 - 10/09/13 05:20 PM

thank you Charlie, apparently your one of the few with a E/Q thats working, or the CGEM & CGEM-DX.
Kasey

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dve1]
      #6127602 - 10/09/13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Hi again All (especially Dr. Who),

Hello.

Quote:

Sorry for another newbie question, but what is this "ASPA" that is not working? I'm guessing PA is Polar Align so this means All-Star Polar Align?? or am I way off? At any rate, from the context of the discussion it sounds like adding calibration stars before Polar Align is what causes problems for EQ mounts. Am I close?

No apologies needed and no such thing mate. We all start at the same place and the difference between you and myself or others is that I started earlier than you did so I am a bit farther along than you are.

You are correct in terms of what it is. I am not sure regarding the problems its causing. I was told by Derik to lay off of ASPA testing until they got it squared away. So I have.

Overall the problem unique to EQ mounts in terms of calibration (not the wild slewing etc) has been that you are limited on what stars work best to fix the calibration causing the camera to think its way off from where it actually is aka the > +/- 1,000 numbers. Alt/Az folks can even use Polaris to recalibrate but for EQ owners it seems best to go for stars near zenith/meridian like Altair.

ASPA is All Star Polar Alignment and right now it seems to be about 5 minutes (or was it degree's) off when using the SSA. Not a big deal for visual as Polar Alignment (PA) is not about the GOTO (putting the target in the eyepiece) it's about tracking that target as it moves across the sky. So all that means for visual is that the object will not stay centered in the EP for N amount of time and slowly moves out of it.

For AP this is rather important as long exposures are being taken and anything over 30ish seconds without decent PA will mean stars start to look like eggs instead of pinpoints and get worse from there.

ur7x
sage

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dr.who]
      #6127874 - 10/09/13 09:01 PM

My neighbor just received his StarSense for his AVX and Edge OTA.

Of course that also means that we are likely in store for 2 weeks of rain. But he was assured that Celestron has this working now.

Once it clears, I will report out his experience...

king1522
sage

Reged: 04/25/08

Loc: Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: ur7x]
      #6128032 - 10/09/13 10:36 PM

I'm not having much luck in getting this thing to align. This is the second night I've had it out. Last night, just before I shut down for the night, I realized the date and time zone was wrong. So I thought this must be the reason for no alignment, Had these fixed with correct time tonight. Still no alignment. I thought I read somewhere that if the SS does not find the area of the sky is not working, it will slew to another part of the sky. Well, they must have been fibbing....because mine don't. My scope is in a SkyShed Pod where half of the pod folds back. The SSA is pointing the camera almost straight up and therefore the sky is blocked. Then it moves to another area that is blocked by my pod also. Instead of searching for a clear area, it just moves back and forth between these two areas, which are blocked.

I gave up on the automatic alignment and performed a manual alignment. Actually three of them. The hand controller indicated that they were successful....well at least I think it did.Actually it never indicated specifically that is was aligned. When I told it to move to a named star....no luck. Not accurate at all. The advertisement states that the SSA even works in light polluted skies. I wonder if that is a correct statement. I live in the Dallas area and have boo coos of LP. I have checked the time and the location and both are correct. It has never let me set the alignment or calibrate center. I'm all out of ideas....anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? They would be appreciated.
Don

ghostrunner007

Reged: 11/13/04

Loc: Alberta,Canada
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: king1522]
      #6128327 - 10/10/13 02:55 AM

I was notified today that mine is on its way . Ill make sure all the updates are done prior to use and then its going on a CGEpro first to see if it works , and if it does its going on my grab and go setup which is a CGEM and a 127mm ES APO

oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: ghostrunner007]
      #6129102 - 10/10/13 01:25 PM

Quote:

its going on my grab and go setup which is a CGEM and a 127mm ES APO

You call that a "grab and go" setup?!?

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

#6129222 - 10/10/13 02:26 PM

Quote:

If your ASPA is anywhere close to accurate you need to contact Celestron.

I did not do a drift align. What happened was that I was getting star streaks with unguided 20 second exposures, which resulted in my choosing the ASPA. Afterward, I did a 60 second unguided exposure with round stars. I concluded that the PA was OK and continued. This was last Tuesday Oct 1 and the mount is now in the garage. It's pouring rain and I likely will not be able to get it out for a while.

Regards,

Charlie B

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6129271 - 10/10/13 02:49 PM

What focal length were you shooting at. 60 seconds unguided is very good. My CGEM can't do that even with perfect PA. You got a good one.

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

#6129320 - 10/10/13 03:13 PM

Not very much! I was using an AT-66 (400mm).

Charlie

ghostrunner007

Reged: 11/13/04

Loc: Alberta,Canada
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: oo_void]
      #6130327 - 10/11/13 02:08 AM

OH yeah, I am 6' 2" so moving the mount is easy and ES supplies a great case with the 127mm that putting it in the cab of the truck is a piece of cake. The starsense showed up tonight and I mounted it on to my 152 mm ES APO which is mounted to my CGEpro. Updated the controller and the camera with no problems. Hooked up the sky sync gps to the controller turned on the power and hit auto align and the scope first moved to the switch positions and then went though the align procedure all on its own. It finished with no problems and when I selected Capella the scope slewed to it and put the star in the fov of my 9mm eyepiece, I then centered it and then calibrate the camera , at this point the clouds came in. So far this thing works as advertised

Edited by ghostrunner007 (10/11/13 02:17 AM)

UBobW

Reged: 06/27/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6131077 - 10/11/13 01:00 PM

Quote:

Hi Bob,

Those are very unusual firmware versions for a production unit I think, as my production unit shipped in early september had higher numbered/dated versions of both the HC and camera firmware, which I have comfirmed with celestron were the standard production unit versions.

I know you would rather not have to, and I understand your reasoning on why, but the situation is what it is now, and in your case in particular it might pay you to join team celestron, check with the firmware engineers you can talk directly to there about your curent versions, and possibly update if they recommend that. I think you will find them friendly and helpful, and they have been very responsive there in the last couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Chris M

Quote:

Im definitely on old code though it is surprising given that the unit just shipped out of Celestron CA on Oct 1.

Early adopter or not if the thing doesnt have the latest and greatest software out of the box, i should have some option of upgrading it and not have to wait and join a beta testers site and wait for access to get code that is 'better'

Bob

Updating the board, it turns out the SSA that i just got slipped out of Celestron with really old firmware. joining Team Celestron, there are 2 beta updates that need to be applied, but i couldnt because my firmware was to old. Team Celestron made a new install package for me in less than a day and have been super helpful as well as Chris from this board so thanks!

Installing the new firmware, i struggled at first to get objects to load with frequent errors loading the objects failing with "Update Cancelled: Device Memory Corrupt" occurring at different portions of the process. These problems seemed to be related to the serial port on my new refurbished laptop. Once i switched to my Keyspan USA-19HS usb to serial dongle the upgrades took and im now at these versions.

StarSense HC
ver 01.06.13268
bld Sep 25, 2013
00:33:09
StarSense Camera
ver 01.01.13246
Motor Control
mdl Advanced VX
Azm Ver: 6.7
Alt Ver 6.7

Center: +504, +941

After entering the correct time and gps coordinates, which requires one to go into the menu to set up, not automatically prompted for it like it says in the manual, i did the first auto alignment ok. I then attempted to slew to Vega to use it as the centering star. When i attempted to slew to Vega im not sure where it was trying to go. I let it ride until it the ota was about to hit my tripod then i stopped it by pressing one of the arrow buttons on the HC. I manually aimed the scope at Vega using my red dot finder to get it close then centered it in the fov of my Mallincam VSS. I then did the centering procedure and the new center values +438,+273. I powered cycled and repeated the auto alignment ok.

I slewed to Vega and if youre familiar with Miloslick software Vega wasnt dead center in the crosshair, but about halfway between center and the circle. I added this as a calibration area and re-slewed to Vega and it moved to a different area of the fov about the same distance from center. I did this for several other stars with similar results, in all cases the star was comfortably within the fov but not quite dead center.

I cant complain about this at all as it seems very comparable to my NexStar+ with a 2/4 alignment and using precise goto and it took a lot less time to align and i only had to get out of my chair once to do the one time centering process!

Tracking seemed to be off in certain areas of the sky for 60sec + exposures, im thinking this is split between my rig not being properly balanced and that the polar alignment is only "rough" since aspa isnt working and im a lazy newbie that doesnt want to be bothered with learning drift alignment, thats why i got the goto scope with aspa in the first place

Hoping for clear skies tonight to give this a good workout!

Thank you for all the help!
Bob

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

#6131548 - 10/11/13 04:46 PM

Quote:

Bob

Glad to hear the engineers at Celestron fixed your problems Bob, and that I could also help you get to that point.

Enjoy. You are fortunate to have had your problems solved so quickly!

Now to get my own serious SSA problems fixed soon I hope! It's been more than a little frustrating being one of the very first people to report SSA problems, I think more than five weeks ago now, but then having to wait and watch while a whole series of higher priority problems (higher priority because they affect more users) get fixed one after another before mine even got looked at. I can't argue with Celestron's fix order priorities, but that doesn't really lessen the frustration much.

Cheers,
Chris M

cnargie

Reged: 06/19/13

#6132225 - 10/11/13 11:26 PM

Bob or someone. Can someone help me out. I have the EXACT same issue as you. Ridiculously old firmware from May and the upgrade process doesn't work for me. I did the first part of the upgrade but had to use the menu logo combo and now it just is not working at all. I am desperate for some guidance to fix my StarSense. Could you PM me with any details? Thanks, Christian
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Bob,

Cheers,
Chris M

Quote:

Bob

Updating the board, it turns out the SSA that i just got slipped out of Celestron with really old firmware. joining Team Celestron, there are 2 beta updates that need to be applied, but i couldnt because my firmware was to old. Team Celestron made a new install package for me in less than a day and have been super helpful as well as Chris from this board so thanks!

Installing the new firmware, i struggled at first to get objects to load with frequent errors loading the objects failing with "Update Cancelled: Device Memory Corrupt" occurring at different portions of the process. These problems seemed to be related to the serial port on my new refurbished laptop. Once i switched to my Keyspan USA-19HS usb to serial dongle the upgrades took and im now at these versions.

StarSense HC
ver 01.06.13268
bld Sep 25, 2013
00:33:09
StarSense Camera
ver 01.01.13246
Motor Control
mdl Advanced VX
Azm Ver: 6.7
Alt Ver 6.7

Center: +504, +941

After entering the correct time and gps coordinates, which requires one to go into the menu to set up, not automatically prompted for it like it says in the manual, i did the first auto alignment ok. I then attempted to slew to Vega to use it as the centering star. When i attempted to slew to Vega im not sure where it was trying to go. I let it ride until it the ota was about to hit my tripod then i stopped it by pressing one of the arrow buttons on the HC. I manually aimed the scope at Vega using my red dot finder to get it close then centered it in the fov of my Mallincam VSS. I then did the centering procedure and the new center values +438,+273. I powered cycled and repeated the auto alignment ok.

I slewed to Vega and if youre familiar with Miloslick software Vega wasnt dead center in the crosshair, but about halfway between center and the circle. I added this as a calibration area and re-slewed to Vega and it moved to a different area of the fov about the same distance from center. I did this for several other stars with similar results, in all cases the star was comfortably within the fov but not quite dead center.

I cant complain about this at all as it seems very comparable to my NexStar+ with a 2/4 alignment and using precise goto and it took a lot less time to align and i only had to get out of my chair once to do the one time centering process!

Tracking seemed to be off in certain areas of the sky for 60sec + exposures, im thinking this is split between my rig not being properly balanced and that the polar alignment is only "rough" since aspa isnt working and im a lazy newbie that doesnt want to be bothered with learning drift alignment, thats why i got the goto scope with aspa in the first place

Bob

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: C8er]
      #6132282 - 10/12/13 12:07 AM

I feel bad for you Chris. Mine seems to working pretty well. If the get the ASPA working correctly I will be satisfied. If the goodies they have planned for the future come to fruition I will be pleased! Hang in there buddy!

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: cnargie]
      #6132290 - 10/12/13 12:15 AM

Hi Christian.

You will need to join team celestron (just google it and follow your nose to join up there and become a public beta tester), then a Celestron engineer will almost certainly be able to sort your problem out as they did for Bob very quickly. It might take a day or two for your application to join to be approved, especially over the weekend, but they are very helpful and responsive once you are in.

Cheers,
Chris M

Pages: << 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | >> (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51701

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics