Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | >> (show all)
cnargie

Reged: 06/19/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6132312 - 10/12/13 12:30 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I will be doing so. Funny how I run into problems on the weekends the same way clouds come with new equipment! Cheers!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6132351 - 10/12/13 01:13 AM

Thanks Stew. I'll get there eventually. I for sure won't be giving up until they have my problems fixed.

As I say I can't argue with their fix priorities if I use any sensible logic, and they have kept talking to me very regularly in recent weeks. In recent days they have finally started work on one of my problems, which is stopping my CG-5 from aligning with the SSA. I'm working closely with them.

My major showstopper SSA problems happen to be ones that only affect me, or in one case me and one other person, that we know of so far, so they have had to wait for diagnosis and fixes until more widely felt problems were fixed.

Cheers,
Chris M

Quote:

I feel bad for you Chris. Mine seems to working pretty well. If the get the ASPA working correctly I will be satisfied. If the goodies they have planned for the future come to fruition I will be pleased! Hang in there buddy!

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
      #6132392 - 10/12/13 02:14 AM

I received my SS today which I ordered from Opt this past Monday. I updated the firmware to the bleeding edge latest and greatest, and tested it out this evening on my CGEM DX. I think I read somewhere that scope calibration takes 3 minutes. I didn't time it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was quicker. I like the new hand controller. It does seem like an improvement, though takes a short getting use to finding the new location for some functions.

Regarding usage, I need to play with it a little more. Calibration was super simple and fast. I found goto's from the hand controller was hit-or-miss (up to 1-2 degrees) However, I later hooked up SkyFi dongle and used my iPad with Sky Safari, and the results were always dead on gotos, telling me that the new plate solving is right on.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#6132441 - 10/12/13 03:39 AM

Hi,
I finally got my Starsense today. First I tried to install the two updates but the second one wouldn't install. I retried both updates several times. My original Version was dated May 2013. The menu was scrambled and nothing could be selected and I could not do a factory reset. I was very upset and frustrated, then I posted my problem on team Celestron and emailed Derik my logs as requested. Right away he responded with a fix. I also got one of the original ones with older firmware that wasn't supposed to go out to the public. The fix he gave me fixed everything and installed the 2 updates. I am very happy and impressed at how fast this was fixed for me. And on a Friday evening to boot. I shouldn't of had to go through all this but how fast he responded and fixed this made up for it. I am not allowed to give this fix out. If your having this problem just go to Team Celestron and post your problem with any logs. They will help you.

I set up my CGE mount with 9.25 EdgeHD and started testing. I was not happy that you cannot put your Longitude or Latitude in. Just your nearest big city. I'm not that close to San Antonio.
I turned the brightness up but the display and keys were rather dim to me.
The menu is completely different. I will get use to it before long.
I used Vega to calibrate the camera. I don't like that after you calibrate the camera the menu locks up and you cannot select Home Position, instead you must manually slew the mount to the Home Position to restart it and do the alignment.
It uses 4 points to align. Every time my unit picked 3 points to the northwest, and one to the northeast. all my goto's to the southeast or southwest were too far off. I added a calibration point around the Lagoon nebula and it had no problem finding 100 stars with the moon right there. Then those goto's were good. I think having 3 alignment points to the northwest isn't good. If at least one was to the south it would help pointing quit a bit.
I think maybe if they could have an option for precision alignment, where it automatically goes to about 6 or more points all around the sky, then goto's would be great everywhere in the sky.

This was just my initial testing and initial thoughts.
I did not test tracking yet.

Overall I am pleased with the SS and with Celestrons engineers going to great lengths to make each persons unit work. I am glad I bought it. I would recommend buying one, but some people might want to wait until the rest of the problems are worked out. I don't think it will be long.

Neilson

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6132580 - 10/12/13 08:22 AM

You should be able to enter Longitude and Latitude. See pg11 step 4 of the online manual.
"Press ENTER to select Location by City.
Choose your country and city by scrolling
through the menus provided. Alternatively, you
can enter your longitude and latitude by pressing
the OPTION button on the lower left of your
hand control’s keypad. Press ENTER
to move the underline cursor over to the
next value."

It worked for me though I have my GPS unit working now with the update.

neilson
professor emeritus

#6132744 - 10/12/13 10:29 AM

Hi Mark,
This is great news. I just went out and tried the options key like you said and it took me to the coordinates where I can put in my longitude and latitude. This should help improve my accuracy. I'm glad you found that. Thanks for letting me know about this Mark. I'm going to have to reread the instruction manual to see what else I might have missed. Then after these clouds clear up I will test it again.

Neilson

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
      #6133564 - 10/12/13 06:32 PM

Celestron has released a new beta version of CFM (1.7.3274) that is compatible with StarSense. This CFM resolved an issue I has having with my StarSense HC after updating the firmware with the previous beta CFM.

See TeamCelestron.com web site for details.

pcguru2000

Reged: 04/01/11

#6133944 - 10/12/13 10:06 PM

Quote:

I think it might also now be recommended on team celestron(but not in the manual yet) that you use a star near the celestial equator for your camera-ota calibration once you get to that stage after doing your initial autoalign, rather than just using any star for the camera calibrateas the manual suggests. Some people have had the camera calibration well and truly messed up by using stars in other parts of the sky.

Cheers,
Chris

Starsense comes to the rescue. No longer need to level mount. No longer need to find brightest stars. No longer need to do over and over an autoalign. All sounds great. But wait, now we have to know which stars fall in the "celestial equator" for this $330 accessory to work properly? We can send men to the moon with a computer that has less processing power than a $3 digital watch, but celestron can't program starsense not to be so picky? For $330, and being 2013, this device should be bullet proof!

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: pcguru2000]
      #6133998 - 10/12/13 10:41 PM

Wow, someone is quick on the trigger, They seem to be working on it and giving everything they have to get it A-1... Sometimes things just have glitches etc. at least they are responding to people it seems. Take a breath, calm down and relax ,
Kasey

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: pcguru2000]
      #6134082 - 10/12/13 11:49 PM

Ahhh, No actually. Just the Celestron engineers trying to be helpful and give people a temporary way around a problem until they can fix the problem properly in a firmware update.

You might like to join team celestron and see how hard they are working to fix the problems.

Cheers

Quote:

Quote:

I think it might also now be recommended on team celestron(but not in the manual yet) that you use a star near the celestial equator for your camera-ota calibration once you get to that stage after doing your initial autoalign, rather than just using any star for the camera calibrateas the manual suggests. Some people have had the camera calibration well and truly messed up by using stars in other parts of the sky.

Cheers,
Chris

Starsense comes to the rescue. No longer need to level mount. No longer need to find brightest stars. No longer need to do over and over an autoalign. All sounds great. But wait, now we have to know which stars fall in the "celestial equator" for this $330 accessory to work properly? We can send men to the moon with a computer that has less processing power than a $3 digital watch, but celestron can't program starsense not to be so picky? For $330, and being 2013, this device should be bullet proof!

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6134671 - 10/13/13 10:20 AM

I applaud their efforts but it would have been nice to have done all this beta work before release. These firmware releases are beta at this time.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

#6134731 - 10/13/13 10:49 AM

Pcguru could take some pointers from you Mark in ways to address something, sugar gets more than salt LOL, Good show of grace, Kasey

Robert York

Reged: 05/05/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6135537 - 10/13/13 06:10 PM

Just want to throw my 2 cents in since I received mine yesterday and spent the evening playing with it. All in all, aside from having to figure out how to reset everything on it, it works like a charm.

The first note is, as someone pointed out, you have to manually go in and put the proper time, date and location in. It doesn't ask for it. Not having this right and doing all the other set up will get things screwed up.

Also, I read a few posts about people having problems with polar alignment? I wasn't having any issues. I tried it a few times, and it seemed off.. but by a few arc minutes. That's also when I realized my location was off. I didn't fuss with it much after I got my location fixed. I did several 30 second exposures with no streaking at all, and perfectly round stars. Granted, I was at a focal length of 540mm, but no guiding. It was not great observing weather, so I wasn't set up to try long exposures and auto guider.

Takes around 60 seconds to align for me, and most of the sky is blocked. I just happen to have clear shots to the NE and NW, where it likes to look. Wish I could mount it on my mount, rather than the scope! Might have to make a fancy mounting plate with that and my guidescope.

Edited by Robert York (10/13/13 06:36 PM)

will1384

Reged: 02/22/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: will1384]
      #6136260 - 10/14/13 03:16 AM

Quote:

I have a two Android tablets, Android phone, and a netbook that I hope to use with the AVX mount and Celestron Starsense, and I hope to use bluetooth with the Android devices, and I will be using SkySafari, and other software on Android, from what I read that cheap $16 adapter should work.

This is what I hope to do:

(1) Use the StarSense to do an alignment good enough for photography.

(2) Find my targets and move the telescope to them with my phone or tablet, using the RS-232 to bluetooth adapter, and a Celestron RS-232 cable.

(3) Use a netbook and a StarShoot AutoGuider stay locked onto the target.

(4) Take some pictures.

Wish me luck LOL

I updated the StarSense, and other than the missing ASPA its working well, its getting stars close to the center of my 12.5mm Illuminated Reticle eyepiece, and its jut barely good enough that with the StarShoot AutoGuider and PHD I can take 60 second exposures, guess that cheating LOL, I only wish it could do the 60 second exposures without autoguiding, I ran into a problem with the bluetooth adapter, I thought I had some null modem cables and adapters, I was wrong, so now I got to wait until one gets here.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: will1384]
      #6136410 - 10/14/13 08:15 AM

Hey Will,
Am curious about the mount your using, were you ever able to get 60 sec unguided? From what I hear thats pretty good. Also my understanding is that SS is not able to polar align yet so you would have to do it on your own. May be thats the problem with your 60 sec exposures? Thank you, Kasey

UBobW

Reged: 06/27/13

#6136931 - 10/14/13 01:01 PM

Quote:

Hi Mark,
This is great news. I just went out and tried the options key like you said and it took me to the coordinates where I can put in my longitude and latitude. This should help improve my accuracy. I'm glad you found that. Thanks for letting me know about this Mark. I'm going to have to reread the instruction manual to see what else I might have missed. Then after these clouds clear up I will test it again.

Neilson

I keep re-reading the manual and finding more stuff each time i look.

On my last read I saw on page 19 about the help button. The manual indicates if your goto pointing accuracy is off, you can press the menu button and the scope will slew to a nearby bright star and take a picture to update the sky model. I havent had a chance to try this yet. Im not sure if this is the same process as manually adding a new calibration area or something slightly different. Ive been adding calibration areas in areas im looking at and it does help.

Bob

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: UBobW]
      #6136969 - 10/14/13 01:11 PM

I am hoping that they will change that a bit. Just press align after a slew and a calibration point would be added where the scope stopped slewing. Would be quick and easy if they implement it. No slewing to a bright star or backing out of the menu to add a calibration point.

will1384

Reged: 02/22/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6137141 - 10/14/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Hey Will,
Am curious about the mount your using, were you ever able to get 60 sec unguided? From what I hear thats pretty good. Also my understanding is that SS is not able to polar align yet so you would have to do it on your own. May be thats the problem with your 60 sec exposures? Thank you, Kasey

That's correct the StarSense cant do a working polar alignment yet, but with the StarSense I am able to put the telescope anywhere, I still have to point it north, and I do level it, but with a StarShoot AutoGuider and a small telescope, 80mm, I am able to cheat and get 60 sec exposures.

Before the StarShoot AutoGuider I was not having much luck with the VX mount, even when pointing north, the tripod level, and ASPA, trees were blocking most of the stars that the mount wanted to use, what helped was a polar scope, and pounding PVC pipe into the ground so I could put the telescope in the same spot each night like this: Ultra-fast method of EQ polar alignment.

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
      #6137145 - 10/14/13 02:16 PM

It seems like the StarSense is a hot item right now. Last Friday I went to The Astro store in Oceanside to talk about it and was told they sold more than 15 before I got there at 2PM. They can't keep them in stock. And I was going to buy one because the ones they checked had a recent firmware installed but remaining 2 left were sold as I was speaking to a sales person.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: brokenwave]
      #6138261 - 10/15/13 02:11 AM

I was able to test my Starsense again on my CGE mount w/9.25Edge.
I got numerous failed alignments in automatic and 2 tries in Manual failed.
I got a few good Automatic alignments with good goto's in the North but bad goto's in the South. I tried the Help feature on 2 southern DSO's but it only improved the goto's some, but they were still out of view of my 40mm eyepiece.
I added a calibration point in the South. It did help Southern Goto's but the Northern Goto's were no longer in my 40mm eyepiece.
The camera had been calibrated previously and I also re calibrated the camera several more times tonight with a 12mm reticule eyepiece.
After an Alignment my Goto to Andromeda was dead center. So I know the Starsense is capable of dead on goto's with an SCT.(in the north at least) The moon may have played a part in the other problems I had.

Neilson

Pages: << 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | >> (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 59053

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics