Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | (show all)
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Jim Meadows]
      #6277614 - 12/28/13 05:18 PM

Hi Jim,
I have the Canon 70D. It just came out a few months ago. Its wifi is great. I can use live view to image and download all my images with wifi. I haven't had it modified but probably will in January.

I'm glad the IOGear 4 USB hub is working for you. As for video cameras I only have a Meade DSI2c. I had to connect it using Meades Envisage the very first time but after that it hooks direct to PHD guiding for me. I'm guessing it had to download the driver first, but I'm just guessing. I don't quite understand how video is different from live view so I can't help you with that. I'm guessing there is some way to set it up since it brags how you can hook so many different devices to it. I would go on the IOGear website and click contact where they have a phone number, email addresses, and on line support and ask them because I really don't know how. Good luck on that.

Neilson

I just connected my Canon T1i to the IOGear 4 USB hub with a USB cable and it was able to send live view to my laptop. I doubt this helps you but I thought I would mention it.

Edited by neilson (12/28/13 05:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6278272 - 12/28/13 11:45 PM

Do to the multiple problems with my Starsense I returned mine and got another one.
My problems are the same on the new unit.
1. second alignment point does not finish imaging and races to the east to take the third align. point then goes back to the west to redo the second alignment point then goes back to the east to finish with the fourth alignment point. All this slewing back and forth adds quit a bit of time to the alignment process. And when this happens the alignment turns out worse than when it works correctly.

2. My goto's in the south are always out of my eyepiece on the top requiring me to add a cal. point. The add cal. point over compensates and makes the star end up in the bottom part of the eyepiece. It also makes the star in the north farther away from the center of the eyepiece.
The thing that bothers me the most is that I'm using Capella and Betelgeuse as my two test stars. They aren't that far apart. They shouldn't be so far off.
I hope there is going to be some kind of fix that actually makes my SSA more usable. Right now my Nexstar 2+4 is faster, easier and much more accurate.

I hope they have done something in this next update to improve accuracy as well as something to keep it from shooting off to the other side of the mount before it can take it's image at the second alignment point.
I think their only concern was to get the SSA to do the alignment as fast as possible with no concern for accuracy. I think this is why all the alignment points are in the extreme north.

Neilson

Edited by neilson (12/29/13 05:06 PM)

neilson
professor emeritus

#6284485 - 12/31/13 10:04 PM

Looks like it was wishful thinking. After all this time waiting they didn't fix any of the problems anyones having on their Starsense.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #6284550 - 12/31/13 10:55 PM

Well it seems to be a fix for the DEC 2012 bug and some of the Southern Hemisphere bugs. I agree that should have fixed some other problems before the Southern Hemisphere ones but of course I am in the North!

Giving us the Star is at the bottom of the eyepiece really gives us no idea of your accuracy problems. Your have posted you were able to get a +-4 arcminute accuracy which is about all one can expect from a CGEM/DX. I know having to do a manual align is a pain but no more than a normal 2+4 alignment. The real problem for me is the lack of a functioning ASPA.
Yes the roll out was handled badly but they are open about it and working on it. I would bet you could still get a refund on it if you wanted. I will give them some more time before mine goes back.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6284592 - 12/31/13 11:24 PM

Stew,
As I keep saying I'm not looking for a refund. But you would think they would have at least done something for some of the problems people are having in the north. As for +-4 Arc-minutes accuracy I would have never switched back to Celestron if that was all I could get. My CGEM DX was just as good as my CGE is now on goto accuracy with Nexstar 2+4. I have praised Celestron on these two mounts many times on C/N and other forums concerning goto accuracy and low periodic error. Most of my gotos are dead center but when one is off its no more than 1 or 2 arc-minutes. And I don't have to keep doing alignments until I get a decent one. With Nexstar one alignment is all I need to get good goto's. There's no reason the SSA should be any different. I'm sure it will eventually get there once they actually start working on fixing the problems. But they should have started a long time ago.

Neilson

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6284637 - 12/31/13 11:56 PM

Neilson,

The official spec for pointing accuracy of the CGE Pro; "With just a standard hand control alignment, the CGE Pro has the ability to center a star in your eyepiece or CCD chip to within 5 arc minutes. Using NexStar's advanced pointing features such as Calibration Stars, Sync and Precise GoTo, further improves the pointing accuracy to as low as 1 arc minute in the desired region of the sky."

My CGEM is usually around +-2to3 arcminutes with a careful 2+4. The SSA is about the same or a bit better, besides I can add a calibration point anytime at the area I am observing. The lockups on auto are a pain, and the broken ASPA is a deal killer though.

neilson
professor emeritus

#6284689 - 01/01/14 12:58 AM

Stew,
I don't own a CGE Pro so I'm not concerned with their specs. My SSA is getting something like 12+ arc-minutes after the automatic alignment for items in the southern half of the sky. Just south of straight up is about 8 arc-minutes and the further south the worse, about 14+ arc-minutes if you are around the southern horizon. And that's only if you get a "good" alignment which occurs about every 3rd or 4th alignment attempt.

Now after the alignment if you manually slew the ota to about 45 degrees towards the south and add a calibration point then that improves goto's on stars at that location.
If you add a cal point after that anywhere else it has no improvement.

If you try to add cal. points on any of the alignments that aren't so "good" then everything gets worse. So I usually have to try several alignments until I get a "good" one otherwise I'm wasting my time.
I don't think my expectations are unreasonable. They said similar results as your Nexstar 2+4

I didn't really want to reveal all this on C/N but you kept pushing. Now you know why I'm not very happy after several months they haven't done anything to help me or all the others with problems not near as bad as mine.
I think the only reason I have these problems is because all the automatic alignment points are toward the north, most of them are towards the extreme north.
I wondered if the points are at coordinates in the sky and since I'm in south Texas it's pointing more north than those in the rest of the U.S. All I know is the further south my goto is the worse the error is.

Happy New Year
Neilson

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6284695 - 01/01/14 01:05 AM

Well that certainly explains some unhappiness. I have not seen an alignment complete that was "bad". They just don't complete. Are your alignments always auto or have you tried manual align? How is the pointing with a manual align?

The reason I posted the specs for the Pro is it is the "flagship", the pointing for the "lesser" models can not be expected to surpass it.

neilson
professor emeritus

#6284724 - 01/01/14 01:28 AM

Stew,

In the past I experimented doing manual alignments with mixed results. Mostly bad, but one time I was trying to copy the current alignment points positions, all still in the north but not so extreme north. I was able to get excellent gotos in the north as well as the south. But I was not able to copy that alignment again. So I know that it is possible. But it's easier to me to use my Nexstar than to spend time manually slewing alignments trying to find the combination that gets good results each night.

Neilson

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
      #6284943 - 01/01/14 07:16 AM

I have tried mine a few times, have never had the lock-up on auto align. The date issue was a real problem for me. I have not had it long enough or enough use to really address the flaws some find. The error when picking targets in the south, is that with both of you or just one of you? Nielson, am just curious, what is your Latitude? mine is about 42*. I can imagine your frustration, just the date issue drove me nuts ,, Kasey

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6285045 - 01/01/14 09:04 AM

Kasey,
The poor goto's in the south is on my SSA. My Latitude is 28*. I don't really know if my latitude has anything to do with my problem but that is one thing that I have different than everyone else. I've mentioned it to them several times but I never got a response, but I'm sure they would say it has nothing to do with it.
Another thing could be when they had me give them the numbers off my computer chips on my MC board in my CGE mount. They said there were a very few (CGE mounts only) that had some older discontinued chips used on them by mistake and that might be the problem. Well my mount was one of them, They were going to send me a new MC board with the correct chips. He thought he had plenty but then he found he didn't have as many as he thought so he decided that might not be the cause. So I didn't get one. So we don't know if that might fix it. They didn't send one when I asked if I could at least try it. I was under the impression they were going to give me some kind of update to fix it instead but that never happened either.

I know what you mean about the date thing. I was constantly turning mine off and back on to redo the alignments so it was a real problem for me too. Originally it didn't have the date problem. I think it was caused from the last update. Hopefully that will be the only problem you have with your SSA.

Neilson

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6285149 - 01/01/14 09:58 AM

I know sometimes Derik loses track of things with all the in put they get, I would e-mail him about the MC and follow-up lacking. It just may be that you may have got lost in the shuffle as they say.. One thing I did note on mine, is when auto align, it never pointed South, was all elevated, or straight up, and if anything slightly north.. Hope you get some answers soon, Kasey

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6285216 - 01/01/14 10:38 AM

Kasey,

Derik is very familiar with my problems and complaints. I remind him often. lol.
Your comment on how your ota points during alignment are very interesting to me. I think I'll talk to Derik about that to find out how he has it set up because my second point is strait up but the other 3 are towards the north and extreme north. Thank you this might be the answer to my problems.

Neilson

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6285251 - 01/01/14 10:57 AM

Neilson, As I say I have not used it much but hope tonight to try it after upgrqde to latest version. But I don't think it has ever pointed below MY Horizion, 42*, during auto align, and has gone almost straight up when on east and west quadrant,, am positive on that, Kasey

JeffBosworth

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
      #6285284 - 01/01/14 11:10 AM

Neilson,

I have the CGE Pro, as well. I'm concerned about the revelation of discontinued chips on the MC board of that mount. How old is your CGE? How can I determine if my MC board has those chips?

Thanks,

Jeff

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: JeffBosworth]
      #6285373 - 01/01/14 11:49 AM

Jeff
This was only on a few early CGE mounts. Mine is a 2006 model. He said it only happened on a few mounts and that they were on mounts older than mine.
They were NOT used on CGE Pro mounts. Sorry for the confusion.
I should have explained this better when I brought it up.
The info Kasey just gave me indicates that my problems probably have nothing to do with that MC board.

With Nexstar my mount has extremely good specs so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with having the MC board with the older chips.

Neilson

king1522
sage

Reged: 04/25/08

Loc: Texas
Clear references new [Re: neilson]
      #6286453 - 01/01/14 09:10 PM

Is it possible to clear the calibration references I have already loaded? I want a fresh start.
Thanks
Don

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Clear references new [Re: king1522]
      #6286614 - 01/01/14 10:41 PM

Yes there is a factory reset, hold down the zero key and power it up, it resets it but you will have to reenter your local info, Kasey

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: king1522]
      #6286777 - 01/02/14 12:58 AM

Don,

When you change the subject of a thread it becomes nearly impossible to tell what you are talking about and can make a thread very difficult to follow. If the subject needs to be changed, then it is probably time for a new thread.

Thanks,
Ed.

king1522
sage

Reged: 04/25/08

Loc: Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: EFT]
      #6287368 - 01/02/14 11:31 AM

Sorry Ed. Didn't occur to me this thread was about mounts.

Don

Pages: << 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51782

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics