Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | (show all)
sdba069

Reged: 12/29/12

Loc: TX
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: king1522]
      #6288755 - 01/02/14 11:34 PM

Went out and tried mine again tonight. Did autoalign, then did goto's to Jupiter, Sirius, Andromeda, and M42, all dead center in the eyepiece. Didn't attempt polar alignment or look toward the southern horizon. Checked the time before I started and it was correct even though it was showing 2012 when I last shut it down.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: sdba069]
      #6288875 - 01/03/14 01:25 AM

I did the newest beta update. 2013 or rather 2014 now works. My goto's start drifting right away(new bug) but if I switch tracking from "RA-only" to "RA and DEC" the goto's stop drifting and work fine. Most of the time I still have my alignment problem thats similar to the CG-5 problem with the second alignment point. I tried the unplug HC trick tonight but it didn't work for me. I was really hoping it would have. The 9 times out of 21 tries, the alignment did work correctly, My goto's in the North were dead center, but in the South they were 12-14 arc-minutes off.
Some others have been having good results with the CG-5 fix for the second alignment point problem, I'm bummed that I wasn't so lucky.

jag767
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/13

Loc: Massapequa, NY
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6296229 - 01/06/14 03:15 PM

I was seriously considering purchasing one of these, but after all the problems I see people having, I went a different direction. I was able to get a preowned skyprodigy mount head and controller for 125. it will go on an extra tripod I have which is more than sturdy enough, and will have a hulking 65mm refractor on it

Carrera991

Reged: 10/27/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: jag767]
      #6302912 - 01/09/14 08:05 PM

Good decision. 5 months after release it is still a cluster (I own one)..... Great job Celestron

rrice

Reged: 02/19/06

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Jim Meadows]
      #6303131 - 01/09/14 10:05 PM

I was lucky, Woodland Hills accepted two of the ss units back for credit. I highly recommend that company. The first unit did not control a CGE-PRO, locked up, a waste of great nights, the second SS, Would not get past the second alignment and pointed to the ground numerous times, 2012 must have been a good vintage...it really likes that year.
Robin

jag767
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rrice]
      #6303608 - 01/10/14 07:19 AM

Yea, i get enough aggrivation at work. If my hobby starts frustrasting me to that degree there will be problems

I should havd the mount today, and plan to replacing whafever I can to beef it up to withstard a hesvier payload. Going to shoot for15 pounds.

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
      #6309004 - 01/12/14 08:07 PM

Not really sure what Celestron is doing. You would think this would be a top priority and they would dedicate the resources to squash the bugs. More than that though, what the heck happened that force them to send them off to retail stores before they were ready? What was with the early beta testers that let these things slip by?

Two interesting accessories that makes their mounts fun and easy to use are the SkyQ link and the Starsense camera. If you have an AVX, which I assume is their biggest selling mount, the SkyQ accessory doesn't even work.

I am so disappointed in Celestron right now.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Pak]
      #6309050 - 01/12/14 08:45 PM

They have good products and excellent support, everyone has glitches that get by. They are working hard on it, probably one of those times a product was pushed by one dept and other dept wasn't ready,, who knows, but their warranty and support is excellent, Kasey

Drjag2000

Reged: 10/16/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6309155 - 01/12/14 09:42 PM

Yes they seem to be working hard on the SSA and I appreciate and download all the latest beta firmwares. Unfortunately, the SkyQ seems to be the forgotten ugly stepchild. Owners have been told the app works in house and the problem has to do with uploading it to the itunes store. It is now approaching 4 months and still no solution, making the SkyQ a $99 paper weight. Perhaps they should allow Southern stars access to the SkyQ protocols so I can use Skysafari pro with the SkyQ. A win/win IMO - a wonderful app and a compact wireless solution.

jag767
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Drjag2000]
      #6309496 - 01/13/14 02:26 AM

We'll my skyprodigy head should be here tomorrow. I've been rethinking tearing it apart, and will probably use it for what it is. My 65mm triplet weighs all of 3 pounds, which means even with a 2" diagonal and my explore scientific 30mm 82* I am still under the max payload by about 1.5 pounds. If the software ever gets worked out for the ssa I will consider adding it to my cg5 asgt.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6313726 - 01/15/14 06:07 AM

Tried it out last night. Im hoping the full moon + close by street lamp was the problem, but it kept coming up with too few stars. With how much you guys know about the ss system, is this normal? I know the camera can be adjusted for it, I tried the full moon setting, no good. I also saw the custom but wasnt sure how to manipulate it. Thoughts?

neilson
professor emeritus

#6314107 - 01/15/14 10:48 AM

Where do you find the "Custom" or "Full Moon" settings. I just went through my menu and couldn't find them.

On some Starsense units like mine it has to be completely dark and my porch lite that's 50ft away has to be turned off or it will say "too few stars". The full moon has no effect on it according to Celestron engineers. It doesn't seem to effect my SS unit.

Neilson

jag767
professor emeritus

#6314110 - 01/15/14 10:51 AM

Quote:

Where do you find the "Custom" or "Full Moon" settings. I just went through my menu and couldn't find them.

On some Starsense units like mine it has to be completely dark and my porch lite that's 50ft away has to be turned off or it will say "too few stars". The full moon has no effect on it according to Celestron engineers. It doesn't seem to effect my SS unit.

Neilson

from celestrons site:

Change the StarSense Camera Capture Settings
By changing the exposure and gain of the alignment camera, you can compensate for the full moon, hazy/urban skies, suburban settings with lights, dark skies with too many stars for the camera, and even winds that may jar the camera while it’s getting an alignment image.

To access these predefined settings and a custom option, first enable the advanced menu by pressing Menu > Utilities > Menu Levels, scroll for Advanced, then press Enter. Next find Menu > StarSense Camera > Capture Settings and choose the one best fitting your observing circumstances. When done, realign the scope.

jag767
professor emeritus

#6314112 - 01/15/14 10:52 AM

As for interference from the moon:

Observing Site Considerations
1) Pick a location where you will have the most unobstructed view of the sky. SkyProdigy’s StarSense Auto needs a clear view to the right or clockwise of the starting position. It basically moves clockwise approximately 90 degrees between successive images, so it needs a clear sky between 12 o’clock and approximately 9 o’clock to be successful.

2 ) Choose a site that has no bright lights that will shine on your SkyProdigy. Streetlights and the full moon can interfere with alignments. If you can’t find such a site, then use SkyProdigy’s StarSense manual alignment. It’s found by pressing the hand control’s Align button, then scrolling to StarSense Manual and pressing Enter. It allows you to manually point to three clear, dark areas of the sky for the StarSense camera to acquire images and build a successful alignment.

neilson
professor emeritus

#6314185 - 01/15/14 11:29 AM

The reason I don't have all those settings is because I'm using newer firmware. They removed all those settings and the newer firmware adjusts the camera so the moon will have no effect. And it uses 4 alignment points now. I think their waiting until they finish the updates before they write a new manual. They changed and removed a number of things I wish they hadn't.

Neilson

jag767
professor emeritus

#6314288 - 01/15/14 12:31 PM

Quote:

The reason I don't have all those settings is because I'm using newer firmware. They removed all those settings and the newer firmware adjusts the camera so the moon will have no effect. And it uses 4 alignment points now. I think their waiting until they finish the updates before they write a new manual. They changed and removed a number of things I wish they hadn't.

Neilson

Hmm. Yes i can manually adjust gain and exposure time, no idea what i should adjust it to though. For full moon they lower gain from 33 to 23 and time stays at 3007 (no idea what unit that is) i got it to find 23 stars at one point but not consistently. Any ideas what to try adjusting it to?

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
      #6314340 - 01/15/14 12:55 PM

I would go to this site and sign up for Star Sense stuff, or just check it out
http://teamcelestron.com/index.php
Kasey

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6314377 - 01/15/14 01:12 PM

And update your firmware. On the Celestron site or join Team Celestron public beta testers to get the most recent beta firmware updates. There were some problems when the moon is out with older firmware. The updates resolved that and some other problems.

Neilson

jag767
professor emeritus

#6315251 - 01/15/14 07:47 PM

Quote:

And update your firmware. On the Celestron site or join Team Celestron public beta testers to get the most recent beta firmware updates. There were some problems when the moon is out with older firmware. The updates resolved that and some other problems.

Neilson

Thanks for the tip! It wont let me download the beta becuase I am not a member of the group and need an invite. Also i cant seem to fin it on celestrons site. The firmware manager says I'm up to date though

dandabson

Reged: 10/15/08

Loc: Dover, DE
      #6315441 - 01/15/14 09:25 PM

Is it working on GEMs yet?

Pages: << 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51352

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics