Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | >> (show all)
scopenitout

Reged: 08/24/13

Loc: Mt. Belzoni
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6148628 - 10/20/13 03:55 PM

At least my frustrations with getting the SSA to work have had one tangible benefit. It has forced me to get used to doing conventional Nexstar 2+4 alignments better and faster than ever. That even, in my tree-filled and LP'd suburban yard.
I have a new appreciation for the Nexstar alignment system, as it delivers consistent, accurate pointing and an easy to perform ASPA routine.

The StarSense is being returned to my local dealer. I just discovered I really don't need it. It never delivered on it's promise of fast, trouble free alignments. If it ever (truly) does, I may have another look. But now, I rather doubt it.

In the meanwhile, good luck to the beta testers. You are to be commended for your patience and perseverance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6148852 - 10/20/13 06:26 PM

Quote:

But the precived accuracy when looking through an eyepiece or camera in the main scope would be affected.

Perhaps, but in a very minor way.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rmollise]
      #6149503 - 10/21/13 09:31 AM

Hi,
I spent several hours just doing alignments with my Starsense. This time all my alignments were successful but almost all my goto's were poor(not in the eyepiece)on my CGE classic mount.

Neilson

mamamia

Reged: 10/11/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6149837 - 10/21/13 12:43 PM

Quote:

Hi,
I spent several hours just doing alignments with my Starsense. This time all my alignments were successful but almost all my goto's were poor(not in the eyepiece)on my CGE classic mount.

Neilson

Are these issues mount specific?

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: mamamia]
      #6150977 - 10/22/13 01:36 AM

Hi,
I know some of my SSA problems are specific to CGE mounts.

Today I replaced my CGE classic mounts CAT-5 cables but SS was the same.
Tonight I had successful alignments but poor goto's again.

I decided to test tracking. I took a 4 minute 45 second guided image with perfect round stars.
My mount has extremely low periodic error giving it good tracking. So I wanted to try some unguided images but the clouds raced in so I will test this tomorrow along with the new updates to the firmware.

The updates to fix the Starsense keep coming. Posting your specific problems on Team Celestron gets them noticed so they know what needs fixing on each type of mount. They are doing a great job.

Neilson

Edited by neilson (10/22/13 01:01 PM)

cheesehead

Reged: 06/27/12

Loc: Lake Geneva, WI.
      #6151058 - 10/22/13 03:43 AM

Well I feel compelled to write my first post as I have been silently watching this thread with interest as I bought an unused cg5 mount that had the old hand control that can't be upgraded. I couldn't upgrade the mc firmware either through the old hand control so It made sense to buy the SS but was a little nervous about it after reading all these posts. I bit the bullet on one that was sold on this website unused this past week and finally got it outside on an extremely well moonlit sky. I had it freeze on me right away so powered off and tried again. This time it did a complete align and did a calibrate routine centering Capella in a 4.7mm eyepiece. The numbers were 735 and three hundred and something. Can't remember exactly. The first object I chose to slew to was the Andromeda Galaxy and was pleasantly surprised to find it dead center in my 24mm eyepiece in my c8. I observed all over the sky for a few hours and found that to be the case all night. I used the Skysync GPS and the Skysafari with the starseek plugged into the handset. All worked perfectly. I didn't polar align as I wasn't imaging so don't know if that will work or not but am very happy so far. Just thought that might encourage others to not give up that are having problems. My firmware was dated Aug 14th.

scopenitout

Reged: 08/24/13

Loc: Mt. Belzoni
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: cheesehead]
      #6151445 - 10/22/13 10:44 AM

In his post, I think "cheesehead" really targeted what's so puzzling about the SSA. For a few, the SSA worked near perfectly out of the box. For others, even with remedial firmware, the results are much less satisfactory. What is the explanation for this variability? I'm still of the mind that batches of defective product escaped the factory.

mamamia

Reged: 10/11/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: scopenitout]
      #6151455 - 10/22/13 10:51 AM

Initially took the risk and ordered one, then after thinking for couple of days I cancelled my order. I asked the same question on Teamcelestron.com of the reliability of this device. They answered that the issue has been more or less with high $ mounts. In my view if the issue is just to do with S/W Celestron "can" dedicate surge resources to get it fixed. But its hardwre they will have fix the design and manufacture new batch with updated hardware. I decided to sit out and wait.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: cheesehead]
      #6151605 - 10/22/13 12:28 PM

Cheesehead,
It would be nice for you to join Team Celestron and post your info so Derik and his team could review and see your results for better input,, might help in some way, Kasey

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6151770 - 10/22/13 02:12 PM

Hi,
It would have been nice if the SSA would have been working right out of the box, but since we are having to wait for Celestron to come out with fixes, it would be nice if they were devoting all their attention to getting it fixed right away. Instead of devoting their attention to other non Starsense business. There are plenty of things that need to be fixed on SS. Mine has all the original problems the very first ones had and I am running the latest beta software for Team Celestron. There are some mounts who report good results with the beta firmware but the rest of us are still waiting. Even those with good results are still waiting on ASPA and the IC catalog.

Neilson

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #6152185 - 10/22/13 06:30 PM

Pictures of SSA mounted directly to CGEM saddle (not yet painted)

http://s906.photobucket.com/user/mstew57/library/SSA%20mounter%20to%20CGEM

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6152238 - 10/22/13 06:51 PM

Thats a nice set up Mark, really nice and clean,, Do you worry your OTA will interfere with the SS view??
Kasey

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6152243 - 10/22/13 06:54 PM

Hasn't seemed like it has interfered yet. It has aligned with the C11 attached. Just waiting for the ASPA.

neilson
professor emeritus

#6152322 - 10/22/13 07:36 PM

Hi Mark,
I really like that ideal and that looks like a great location for it.

Neilson

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6152385 - 10/22/13 08:10 PM

Well I pulled the trigger and went with the CGEM,,,,, and yes, ordered SS also I know still has kinks but will be resolved... I want to thank everyone for their time input experience expertise insights etc. ,, Will post a couple pics and see what its capable of unguided,, hopefully have a very good line number ,, Once again, thank you all,,
Kasey

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6152423 - 10/22/13 08:29 PM

Congrats!

Look forward to your first setup report and your first light report!!

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6152829 - 10/23/13 01:12 AM

Hi
They posted a new update on Team Celestron beta testers so I updated my SSA. I tried many alignments but all my same problems were still there. I had 2 lock ups, a run away slew, and all my goto's were poor.(not in view of my 40mm eyepiece, out to the edge of my finderscope.) and adding calibration points did not help.

My SS camera is mounted on the top right side of my 9.25 Edge. The bracket is mounted at a slight angle to the right, so my camera is leaning to the right some. I loosened up the lens and turned the camera so that it is pointing straight up. After doing another calibrate camera and new auto alignment my goto's to the north were now centered. My southern goto's were just outside of my 40mm eyepiece. I did one southern add calibration point and they were now centered. I checked my northern goto's and they were still centered. All goto's across the entire sky were now centered. 4 times in a row I cycled power and selected auto alignment and everything came out exactly the same. All goto's were centered all over the sky. Yea!

I will retest my mount for several more days and hopefully I still get great results without any lockups, runaway slews, or poor goto's on my CGE classic mount.

I am happy now
Neilson

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6153044 - 10/23/13 06:59 AM

Not having a SS to speak from experience, but if the alignment is working great but ASPA does not at this time,,, was wondering about using SS for align, switch handset and jump to ASPA without any new align, then switch to SS handset and realign???? sounds like a lot of monkey motion but is a thought till ASAP is fixed...
Kasey

Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
      #6153918 - 10/23/13 03:19 PM

Congrats! on the new mount and SS..

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6154000 - 10/23/13 04:08 PM

The aignment is stored in the HC. Unplugging or powering down will lose your alignment. BTW you need an alignment to run ASPA.

What you could do is do an alignment and ASPA with the standard HC then do an alignment with the SSA. You polar alignment is still fine as long as you don't move the alt az axis. Awful lot of trouble though.

Pages: << 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | >> (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 57741

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics