Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
drksky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Bloomington, IL
Re: MX discount... new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5657631 - 02/02/13 06:47 AM

IF you're autoguiding, you're already using a computer, so what's the point?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: MX discount... new [Re: drksky]
      #5657649 - 02/02/13 07:18 AM

not if you're using an SG-4 or similar... i'm thinking of the SG-4 + DSLR combination for hassle-free imaging.

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: MX discount... new [Re: korborh]
      #5657662 - 02/02/13 07:45 AM

Quote:

We need some price wars to bring these inflated 'high-end-mount' prices down to earth.

Yeah, we need them to be like all the others with little or no support, questionable or unreliable operations which need all sorts of tuning tweaks and off-brand updates to work properly, intermittent failures, no support except to the original buyer and that only for a very short period of time, support and repairs consisting of "it works just the way we designed it" and if you want it fixed "buy our new mount".

No thanks. I'll take an (in order of personal preference) AP, Bisque, or Tak mount any time.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5657701 - 02/02/13 08:43 AM

Quote:

That's interesting.... I don't really see these high end mounts as overpriced.

I don't either. I just don't have a spare $8,000 lyin' around.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5657705 - 02/02/13 08:45 AM

Quote:

not if you're using an SG-4 or similar... i'm thinking of the SG-4 + DSLR combination for hassle-free imaging.

Maybe if you've got a standalone guider, which not many people do. OTHERWISE, you won't be guiding even ST4 style without a computer. You will have PHD, or Maxim, or CCDsoft running on a PC to allow you to guide. Some of the standalone autoguiders can work, but not a cotton picking one of them works as well as good old PHD and a computer. The computer is something of a red herring in my mind, anyway. A netbook is actually more portable and easier to use than some dadgum standalone autoguider.

Edited by rmollise (02/02/13 08:49 AM)

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: MX discount... new [Re: rmollise]
      #5657787 - 02/02/13 09:37 AM

".. is something of a red herring .." Totally agree!

For any long exposure imaging, the vast majority are going to be using a CCD with FW and capture software along with autoguiding. Even using a DSLR, most will use capture software. In my mind,
anyone purchasing a mount in this class would be looking to do AP exclusively.

Happy Birthday Awesomelenny
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/02/04

Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N
Re: MX discount... new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5657987 - 02/02/13 11:50 AM

I too agree with M13 Observer too. AP for instance, wow their customer service is impeccable!

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: MX discount... new [Re: Awesomelenny]
      #5657993 - 02/02/13 11:55 AM

When it comes to AP vs SB I think the best attitude to have is to agree to disagree

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: MX discount... new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #5658014 - 02/02/13 12:04 PM

Quote:

".. is something of a red herring .." Totally agree!

For any long exposure imaging, the vast majority are going to be using a CCD with FW and capture software along with autoguiding. Even using a DSLR, most will use capture software. In my mind,
anyone purchasing a mount in this class would be looking to do AP exclusively.

Purty much. I wouldn't think of imaging with my DSLR without Nebulosity. So much easier.

Bill Dean

Reged: 09/05/05

Loc: Encinitas, CA
      #5658447 - 02/02/13 04:29 PM

Sure, you can directly guide via the guider input as you suggest. The polar alignment scope is a little clunky but it does do the job. So yeah, you could do the dumb mount thing. It should be noted that while SB is a bit late they are planning on releasing an ipad version of TSX for complete mount control including Tpoint. Android has been mentioned as well so that could be a pretty appealing setup too.

Clear skies,
Bill

Bill Dean

Re: MX discount... new [Re: mmalik]
      #5658476 - 02/02/13 04:44 PM

SB is working on an ipad version of TSX. They are a bit late though.

I have used splashtop a bit and it works pretty well to remotely "drive" via the connected laptop but it's less easy to work with MaximDL this way. I prefer a more traditional vnc or remote desktop solution. The opengl stuff is a little annoying but it's doable. Haven't given SkySafari a try.

Clear skies,
Bill

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
      #5659015 - 02/02/13 10:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe if you've got a standalone guider, which not many people do. OTHERWISE, you won't be guiding even ST4 style without a computer. You will have PHD, or Maxim, or CCDsoft running on a PC to allow you to guide. Some of the standalone autoguiders can work, but not a cotton picking one of them works as well as good old PHD and a computer. The computer is something of a red herring in my mind, anyway. A netbook is actually more portable and easier to use than some dadgum standalone autoguider.

I'd stack my STV up against just Aout Nything for accuracy... And it's way, way faster than any pc based approach... Generally I'm guiding before my pc has finished booting and the camera has reached temp!

You can get an STV used now for a steal price wise... Is it as portable as a netbook or laptop? No. But, unlike software based solutions, it is basically a hardware urn key appliance. I like that.

That said, the MX is on my desire list, after all my STV will guide it just fine...

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: MX discount... new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #5659047 - 02/02/13 10:38 PM

Bill, the ipad version of TSX... it will be truly stand alone and not just talking to a PC?

that sounds interesting.... not that i'm in a position to buy an MX

btw i use maximdl with my Mach1 and i can remotely drive it with VNC. there is a VNC client for both ipad and android... have used both. works fine. doesn't eliminate the PC running maximdl though.

Bill Dean

#5659212 - 02/03/13 12:41 AM

Stand alone version for the iPad, no laptop required. I think the threads on the SB forums were back in July or so. Not sure how "full" a version but it sounds like there's some TPoint capability so it could be pretty useful or at least it sounds like it could address complaints about the lack of a fully functional hand controller. Personally I don't really see a great deal of utility but I have taken my PMX out for purely visual use with friends a couple of times and slew-hopped without a laptop and it was fun enough. I guess I would buy an android version but they were pretty clear that iPad will come first.

I do the same (prefer Splashtop though) for monitoring imaging runs from the house with a tablet. TSX works surprisingly well with a touch interface but the smaller dialogs and number of them with MaximDL really screams for a mouse and keyboard so I generally use a desktop and remote in when it's chilly or I'm watching a game and am messing around rather than running a scripted session.

Clear skies,
Bill

jarin
sage

Reged: 10/03/09

Loc: Northern VA
Re: MX discount... new [Re: Bill Dean]
      #5659262 - 02/03/13 01:46 AM

Had to chime in - I've had my MX for just under a year now, and I setup/breakdown remotely each and every time. From the time of my first slew in building a t-point model to imaging for me is about 15 minutes. I normally do 2 or 3 iterations of 18 point models. The mount is *extremely* portable at 50 lbs, so whoever said it's not portable maybe has never seen or lifted one. I've taken exactly 1190 light subs since I've owned it and 1189 are perfect keepers. That speaks for itself. I had a CGEM for 10 months, then a CGE-Pro for 1.5 years before the MX, and the MX is just a beautiful piece of machinery.

The first 11 (reverse chronological) images on this page were with the MX, the rest the Pro:

http://www.silvren.com/AP/pictures/

Jeff

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: MX discount... new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #5659627 - 02/03/13 09:50 AM

Quote:

I'd stack my STV up against just Aout Nything for accuracy... And it's way, way faster than any pc based approach... Generally I'm guiding before my pc has finished booting and the camera has reached temp!

You can get an STV used now for a steal price wise... Is it as portable as a netbook or laptop? No. But, unlike software based solutions, it is basically a hardware urn key appliance. I like that.

That said, the MX is on my desire list, after all my STV will guide it just fine...

Well, the problem is that it's not made anymore and hasn't been for a long time. Didn't much like that itsy-bitsy screen, either.

nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
      #5659796 - 02/03/13 11:33 AM

I won't pretend to know why you need to make a pointing model with this mount but...I would like to comment that it would sure be nice if you could buy a mount of this caliber with a decent hand controller like on my iEQ45 or CG-5 .

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: MX discount... new [Re: nomosnow]
      #5659835 - 02/03/13 11:53 AM

Quote:

I won't pretend to know why you need to make a pointing model with this mount but...I would like to comment that it would sure be nice if you could buy a mount of this caliber with a decent hand controller like on my iEQ45 or CG-5 .

I've thought the same thing for years.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #5659882 - 02/03/13 12:18 PM

Because then they cant lock you into their software for years to come.

Just think how much they make out of each upgrade and assume each user will upgrade a couple of times during the product life cycle.

Edited by Hilmi (02/03/13 12:21 PM)

Bill Dean

Re: MX discount... new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5659973 - 02/03/13 01:12 PM

Hi Hilmi,

The software (TSX Pro, TPoint add-on, camera add-on) is included in the mount purchase. The subscription model basically boils down to $75/year after the first year for TheSkyX support and upgrades. If you choose not to renew the subscription the software is of course still licensed and will continue to work. New features are being added frequently but there's no requirement to "upgrade" to use the mount/software but the cost of renewal seems pretty reasonable to me given the constant development and responsive support.

Clear skies,
Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6170

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics