Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: MX discount... new [Re: Bill Dean]
      #5660035 - 02/03/13 01:54 PM

I never said the cost isn't reasonable, but do think about it, over the life time of the mount, it continues to generate revenue through subscriptions and upgrades. It's a great business model. Microsoft has been trying to move users to subscription based fee for years with no success.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
Re: MX discount... new [Re: Bill Dean]
      #5660254 - 02/03/13 04:00 PM

The MX can *only* be driven by TheSkyX. There are many astronomy programs that use ASCOM and/or run on other devices and using ASCOM - these will not work with MX. That can be a limitation/issue for some.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: MX discount... new [Re: korborh]
      #5660341 - 02/03/13 04:55 PM

Quote:

The MX can *only* be driven by TheSkyX. There are many astronomy programs that use ASCOM and/or run on other devices and using ASCOM - these will not work with MX. That can be a limitation/issue for some.

Considering that the purchase price includes all the software needed and that it's compatible with Mac and Windows, I don't see why this would be an issue other than those mentioned about being tied to a computer.

David

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: MX discount... new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5660572 - 02/03/13 06:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Considering that the purchase price includes all the software needed and that it's compatible with Mac and Windows, I don't see why this would be an issue other than those mentioned about being tied to a computer.

David

I am among those who selected TheSky6 as my primary telescope control software years ago but don't own a Bisque mount so I had to purchase it. It was a good investment. I have used quite a few ASCOM-compatible programs along with it, and have never found one that didn't work with TheSky6 and a TheSky-controlled telescope. It interfaces nicely with them all Unless there's a new defect in TheSkyX, the limitation claimed above isn't valid.

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
Re: MX discount... new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5660584 - 02/03/13 07:06 PM

I think both Celestron and Meade have versions of their hand controllers that have all the computer stuff inside the HC itself. All that is left to do is to have someone develop a little module that you plug the one of those HC's into and then plug that module into the PMX. The module will interpret the commands into Paramount-speak.

Licensing issues aside, I think that would be a nice item.

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

#5660675 - 02/03/13 08:27 PM

Quote:

It interfaces nicely with them all Unless there's a new defect in TheSkyX, the limitation claimed above isn't valid.

The point was not about software, but about PMX hardware. The limitation could arise if someone wants to use a device using some other planetarium or any other application that uses ASCOM to talk to mounts. They can't do it unless its TheSkyX.
You are benefiting from the fact that your mount can be controlled by the application you chose. You are using ASCOM driver or software written to work with TheSky6 for your mount. My point is that is an advantage when it comes to mounts - being able to talk ASCOM.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #5660761 - 02/03/13 09:22 PM

I believe TheSkyX has an ASCOM shim...

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: MX discount... new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5660840 - 02/03/13 10:35 PM

Sure, the X2 interface, but I am not talking about SkyX. I am talking about PMX. It is tied to SkyX and cannot be driven standalone by any other ASCOM applications or devices.

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5660914 - 02/03/13 11:34 PM

that was also my earlier point... the PMX is married to a PC... that runs TheSkyX. no way around that.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5660960 - 02/04/13 12:06 AM

Quote:

The point was not about software, but about PMX hardware. The limitation could arise if someone wants to use a device using some other planetarium or any other application that uses ASCOM to talk to mounts. They can't do it unless its TheSkyX.
You are benefiting from the fact that your mount can be controlled by the application you chose. You are using ASCOM driver or software written to work with TheSky6 for your mount. My point is that is an advantage when it comes to mounts - being able to talk ASCOM.

If I believed that that my current software configuration wouldn't operate a Bisque mount then I would accept that you are more familiar with my software and its setup than I. I know of others using precisely the same software with a PME, though, so I decline to make that leap.

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

#5660983 - 02/04/13 12:22 AM

John, your current software (Sky6) will not operate an MX. And MX would not be operated by anything but SkyX.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #5661144 - 02/04/13 05:15 AM

Through the magic of ASCOM I frequently operate my Paramount via ASCOM compatible third party applications. All those applications know is that it's an ASCOM mount. They don't know that it's a Paramount underneath or anything about TheSkyX. They don't care how that is accomplished either, just that it is. That's what ASCOM is for. This works well for me.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Re: MX discount... new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5661403 - 02/04/13 09:56 AM

personally i don't see ascom as that great. the reliance on clunky activeX makes it slow and not so reliable. the bisque solution is actually better. the only reason for ascom existence is that it is a standard.

i wish manufacturers would support INDI more.

Ray Gralak
Vendor (PEMPro)

Reged: 04/19/08

#5661464 - 02/04/13 10:36 AM

Quote:

personally i don't see ascom as that great. the reliance on clunky activeX makes it slow and not so reliable. the bisque solution is actually better. the only reason for ascom existence is that it is a standard.

Hi Orly!

ASCOM does not rely on ActiveX. It relies on COM interop to allow scripting from 3rd party applications. The same Microsoft technology is used in the core of all Windows versions for a long time (and is used by bisque products on Windows). COM interop may be old but it is a very slick concept which allows virtually any programming language to control an ASCOM driver.

So, in your opinion, what makes INDI or the bisque solution better? (Have you actually programmed either?)

-Ray

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5661496 - 02/04/13 10:46 AM

Quote:

Well...that's true except it doesn't rely on Active X, and it's not clunky at all. It works great and speedily, even with very complex drivers like EQMOD.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Re: MX discount... new [Re: rmollise]
      #5661501 - 02/04/13 10:48 AM

Rod, it's not too speedy for me.

In any case it's a windows only solution. So the Mac users have to look at other options. At least Bisque supports them.

Ray Gralak
Vendor (PEMPro)

Reged: 04/19/08

#5661532 - 02/04/13 11:04 AM

Quote:

I think you are mistaken on the performance issue. You can easily do more than a 1,000 "empty" COM interop calls in a second on the average windows application. Any perceived slowness of a single COM interop call is caused the delay introduced by sending commands to and from the device, which in the case of a telescope is usually over a serial port. Other solutions would have a similar delay.

-Ray

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5661566 - 02/04/13 11:23 AM

Quote:

In any case it's a windows only solution. So the Mac users have to look at other options. At least Bisque supports them.

Sorry, not sure what's going on with your setup, but I've never had speed problems with ASCOM or heard of anyone who has. Again, if it will run EQMOD, a plain old driver is duck soup.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: MX discount... new [Re: rmollise]
      #5661725 - 02/04/13 12:52 PM

I figure if ASCOM is fast enough to handle accurate auto-guiding, then it's fast enough for any reasonable use. Beyond that, the AP vs. SB argument. I feel that they are both great mounts and the only downside I can see to the SB way of doing things is that should your computer fail for any reason (and who hasn't had a PC failure, they are probably the weakest link in our set-ups) you loose all goto capability. For people hate stare hoping or people like me who just never learnt the sky enough to navigate it due to living in a heavily light polluted sky then loosing goto is equivalent to ending your session.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5662189 - 02/04/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

David

I am among those who selected TheSky6 as my primary telescope control software years ago but don't own a Bisque mount so I had to purchase it. It was a good investment. I have used quite a few ASCOM-compatible programs along with it, and have never found one that didn't work with TheSky6 and a TheSky-controlled telescope. It interfaces nicely with them all Unless there's a new defect in TheSkyX, the limitation claimed above isn't valid.

Me, too! I use the Sky6 to control my MI250 via SiTech. 6 is a good program. I can only imagine that X is really good!

David

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6194

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics