Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!!
      #5667876 - 02/07/13 09:13 PM

Just got word that the LX850s are being shipped to us recall customers. Should be getting our scopes next week or the week after depending on location and OTA size.

I am beside myself. Ordered my 14" November 2nd, 2011. Received it May 15th, 2012. It was picked up for recall June 20th. and now it is on its way Feb. 2013.

Very excited!

Tony

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: ahopp]
      #5667953 - 02/07/13 10:07 PM

Congratulations! I saw on the Meade 4M site that all of the LX850s are now shipping. Gonna be fun!

Enjoy!

DrOxygen

Reged: 12/30/10

Loc: New Jersey
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: jgraham]
      #5667983 - 02/07/13 10:28 PM

Wow, I knew this day would finally come. I will expect unboxing pictures etc. Congratulations I wish you the best with this setup and look forward to your first impressions. I'm excited and I don't even have one on order!

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5668070 - 02/07/13 11:09 PM

Remember, you didn't take delivery if we don't see proof...lotsa' pictures, if you will.

David

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5668857 - 02/08/13 12:03 PM

WOOO!!! I can't wait to see the pictures from this mount . Congrat's Ahopp!

And I second what David said, pictures PICTURES PICTURES!!

ahopp
sage

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Raginar]
      #5668900 - 02/08/13 12:23 PM

I am out of state next week, so when I get back it will be pictures galore.

Tony

Scotty H

Reged: 11/15/10

Loc: Surrey,UK
      #5669007 - 02/08/13 01:15 PM

Congrats ....... and fingers crossed to everyone who has ordered one of these

Scott

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Scotty H]
      #5669056 - 02/08/13 01:35 PM

Quote:

Congrats ....... and fingers crossed to everyone who has ordered one of these

Scott

Yes. Best of luck to all. I'd like to see this product succeed.

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
      #5669197 - 02/08/13 02:38 PM

Quote:

Just got word that the LX850s are being shipped to us recall customers. Should be getting our scopes next week or the week after depending on location and OTA size.

I am beside myself. Ordered my 14" November 2nd, 2011. Received it May 15th, 2012. It was picked up for recall June 20th. and now it is on its way Feb. 2013.

Very excited!

Tony

Congrats, Tony. We can definitely help you get it setup when you get it in. Looking forward to seeing what your Malincam can do as well. Hopefully we can use all of that equipment you have had for so long just sitting there.

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #5674444 - 02/11/13 04:57 PM

I look forward to the 25 page thread of problems that Meade has once again ignored like they did on everything else. I wish you the best Tony and hopefully things go well for you. I am not holding my breath though.

Edit: Looking at their new info http://www.meade.com/lx850
And comparing it to their old info, I see some changes that are interesting. No more mention of a focal reducer/flattener. No more mention of zero shift internal crayford style focuser. No more mention that there is no movement in the mirror. Now you have to have a mirror lock. Now ships with an electric focuser which is garbage. Pointing is at 1 arcminute. I am sorry but 1 arcminute? This unit is supposed to image stars and center them, then slew to the object and using another image center the object. The $300.00 Celestron Starsense addon can do that. Pointing should be dead on with this system. 1 arcminute seems high to me in my opinion. I wonder how many of the LX200 bugs that Andrew talks about are still in this system. They have been trying to convince Meade to fix them for a very long time and have been rebuffed. Well like I said, good luck to everyone. Keep us up to date on your trials and tribulations

Edited by Pak (02/11/13 05:11 PM)

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Pak]
      #5674519 - 02/11/13 05:41 PM Attachment (118 downloads)

I took my temporary setup out to the desert this weekend. I have been told that they made a change between when I got this one and the units they are shipping so I will be getting a replacement mount. They still have my 14" OTA which I am supposed to get back at the same time. Right now I have the 12" I've been using. Unfortunately I am under a NDA so I am not allowed to discuss anything more than "I have one". Hopefully that'll be lifted once they end up back in your hands so we can discuss the mount together. Here is a photo of the LX850 and the 12" ota on my pier out at GMARS.
Note: The white finder scope I added as I thought it looked better than the blue.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth (02/11/13 05:45 PM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5674545 - 02/11/13 05:58 PM

You are a beta tester or you paid for it?

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5674644 - 02/11/13 07:12 PM

Mount base looks quite rickety with such a stand back look at the whole setup; how solid is it? This design being a mimic of Mach1, base should have been 900GTO kind instead. Thx

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: mmalik]
      #5674707 - 02/11/13 07:53 PM

Quote:

Mount base looks quite rickety with such a stand back look at the whole setup; how solid is it? This design being a mimic of Mach1, base should have been 900GTO kind instead. Thx

OMG, you're right! I never noticed it until now, it does look similar to the Mach1!! My Mach1 doesn't feel rickety tho so why would the Meade?

frozen.kryo

Reged: 01/28/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: andysea]
      #5674759 - 02/11/13 08:27 PM

The polar forks should be up the job. If it was "rickety", the issue should have cropped up on the LX800 thread.

I guess the base just looks rickety because of the narrower stance compared to the AP/Bisque mounts.

Edited by frozen.kryo (02/11/13 08:40 PM)

Pak

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: frozen.kryo]
      #5674824 - 02/11/13 09:19 PM

Quote:

The polar forks should be up the job. If it was "rickety", the issue should have cropped up on the LX800 thread.

I guess the base just looks rickety because of the narrower stance compared to the AP/Bisque mounts.

Nobody had a working LX800 so I doubt anyone was concerned about it. I remember seeing one in person at an expo. If you grab the counterweight bar and wiggle it, you can SEE the flex in that joint. I don't think the knob that tightens it is strong enough either. I think a lot of people will be cranking hard on that knob to try to eliminate that wiggle and break it off.

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5674858 - 02/11/13 09:51 PM

Quote:

Yes. Best of luck to all. I'd like to see this product succeed.

+1

frozen.kryo

#5674868 - 02/11/13 09:57 PM

Can't argue with your personal experience with the mount. I have not seen this mount in person. The problem could just be a one-off though as the mounts in these expos are usually just engineering samples.

I guess we'll see if this is indeed a weak point in the design once the 850s are in user's hands.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: frozen.kryo]
      #5674945 - 02/11/13 10:46 PM

WWIN, so you're under NDA because you're a beta tester or because...? How was Jason able to talk with us?

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Raginar]
      #5674953 - 02/11/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

WWIN, so you're under NDA because you're a beta tester or because...? How was Jason able to talk with us?

He may clear things through Meade? I don't know Jason but I think his relationship with Meade is different than mine. I am a beta tester but my specific job was to be a "new customer" and give them feedback on the "new out of the box experience". What worked, what didn't. What I had trouble with, what I didn't. If there were any problems I had were they user error or was it the mount etc. As a condition of getting my mount back early so I could have something to play with, I had to sign the NDA that said I could not reveal any results either positive or negative. Once they start shipping and people start reporting on them, all the information becomes public knowledge and I am free to discuss things. All I can say now is that I have one but it isn't the one I will end up with in the end according to my most recent email from Meade. I haven't heard from them since mid last week and I had no idea that they are shipping already. I am out of the loop. I think Jason is in the loop and has a better relationship with Meade than I do. I was after all the instrument of their destruction when they released the LX800.

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: andysea]
      #5675310 - 02/12/13 06:39 AM

Quote:

My Mach1 doesn't feel rickety tho so why would the Meade?

Because Mach1 is half the capacity of LX850.

ahopp
sage

#5675372 - 02/12/13 07:56 AM

Rickety, I do not care if it looks like the leaning tower of Piza, as long as it performs to spec. Which better include carrying a 90# load.

I do, however, care about fit and finish too. And from what it looked like when I first got the 14" it was built beautifully. I am sure that the LX850 will also be beautifully built.

One more observation, when I got the LX800 back in May i thought it was the nicest looking Meade product I have seen, so, even aesthetically they are making progress as a company. I just hope they do not falter again.

Tony

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! *DELETED* *DELETED* new [Re: Pak]
      #5675597 - 02/12/13 11:00 AM

Post deleted by EFT

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: EFT]
      #5675620 - 02/12/13 11:14 AM

I'm not sure where you read that the internal crayford focuser was gone, it says right in the specs for the ACF models:

"Focus System

Internal Crayford style zero image-shift primary mirror focus with dual speed 7:1 control"

And Jason Ware has confirmed it's stil on the OTAs

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #5675621 - 02/12/13 11:14 AM

Quote:

Because Mach1 is half the capacity of LX850.

If you compare the LX-850 and the Mach 1 side by side, you can see that the former appears to be a clone of the latter.

I guess that Meade's manufacturing process is so superior to AP's, that the Meade can carry twice as much.

Who knew?

mmalik
Postmaster

#5675628 - 02/12/13 11:21 AM

Quote:

Ditching the internal "crayford" focuser would not surprise me. While it is a good idea in theory, it is not necessarily easy to implement due to the high precision machining necessary to make it work right and a bad implementation of the design would likely be even worse than the standard SCT design of sliding on the baffle tube. Mirror shift in the standard SCT design is relatively consistent in magnitude and direction with each scope whereas if the primary riding on ball bearings was not riding on a perfectly flat and smooth track, the focus would be all over the place and the adjustment mechanism to strighten the primary on the bearings to the optical axis would be fairly complex. It will be too bad though if they did not get it to work because I think that it was the one advancement that the new scopes made over the competition.

According to LX850 website..., internal Crayford is still there.

"We kept the same innovative concepts...//..., f/8 ACF OTAs with internal Crayford-style two-speed focuser..."

Bearings or not, SCT is primarily a visual platform.

Pak

#5675650 - 02/12/13 11:33 AM

No I am talking about the wording. No longer do they specifically state zero shift nor do they talk about not needing mirror locks. They still have the internal crayford type focuser but obviously they could not make it do what they originally claimed it could do so they changed the wording.

This car does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. This car will go 60mph.

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
      #5675725 - 02/12/13 12:16 PM

Quote:

Mirror shift in the standard SCT design is relatively consistent in magnitude and direction with each scope whereas if the primary riding on ball bearings was not riding on a perfectly flat and smooth track, the focus would be all over the place and the adjustment mechanism to strighten the primary on the bearings to the optical axis would be fairly complex.

Unless you have built and tested a bunch of 14" SCTs with internal crayford focuser then you are just speculating.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

#5675739 - 02/12/13 12:25 PM

Quote:

No I am talking about the wording. No longer do they specifically state zero shift nor do they talk about not needing mirror locks. They still have the internal crayford type focuser but obviously they could not make it do what they originally claimed it could do so they changed the wording.

What about the mirror lock you said they added? And the included junk electric focuser to which you refer? I see no reference on the website to either of those.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5675749 - 02/12/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

Bearings or not, SCT is primarily a visual platform.

Since when?

Pak

#5675898 - 02/12/13 01:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What about the mirror lock you said they added? And the included junk electric focuser to which you refer? I see no reference on the website to either of those.

The mirror lock was mentioned by Jason in that the new 14" he got has a mirror lock now. And the electric focuser is listed in the contents section of their site and also there is a separate thread about it on Cloudy Nights.

www.meade.com/lx850 last item on this list "Zero image-shift microfocuser for exact electronic control of focus."

They are not doing us a special favor by including the electric focuser, I can only believe that they are trying to head off complaints as to why the mirror does in fact shift when you focus and why it will not hold its focus and why the mirror flops around. So the addressed the mirror flop by adding a lock and the other potential complaints by adding an electric focuser. As many others have already mentioned in the other thread about the focuser, it is loud and uses set screws instead of compression rings so it will mark up whatever you use it with. Thus many folks will not use it and will end up buying another motorized focuser. So maybe the 8-12" OTA's won't have the lock, I have no idea. I just know the 14" that Tony is getting will have one.

Edited by Pak (02/12/13 01:59 PM)

EFT

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! *DELETED* new [Re: Alph]
      #5675908 - 02/12/13 01:53 PM

Post deleted by EFT

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #5675913 - 02/12/13 01:55 PM

I have the old model electric focuser from Meade. While it is a relative focuser, and therefore lacks absolute positioning, it did very well and only started to struggle when loads got close to 1 Kg. I would assume the focuser has been improved with the new model.

You also have to look at this focuser the same way you would look at the Kit lens on a DSLR. Both Canon and Nikon make great DSLRs but everybody knows that if you wanted a good lens, you wouldnt bother with the kit lens. It's only there to get you started

Pak

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5675925 - 02/12/13 02:01 PM

Quote:

I have the old model electric focuser from Meade. While it is a relative focuser, and therefore lacks absolute positioning, it did very well and only started to struggle when loads got close to 1 Kg. I would assume the focuser has been improved with the new model.

You also have to look at this focuser the same way you would look at the Kit lens on a DSLR. Both Canon and Nikon make great DSLRs but everybody knows that if you wanted a good lens, you wouldnt bother with the kit lens. It's only there to get you started

I guess we'll know next week or the week after.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #5675935 - 02/12/13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess we'll know next week or the week after.

I think that's the healthiest attitude we can take towards these mounts. After all, other than people who signed a non disclosure agreement and Jason, there's not a lot people having used these mounts out there. Jason had some minor negative comments but I don't recall they had anything to do with the focuser. So we wait till the real deal gets out and people actually start using them.

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
      #5676061 - 02/12/13 03:18 PM

Quote:

But I have been inside enough SCTs to see the potential design and implementation issues associated with such a design and Meades design and implementation of new ideas hasn't exactly been flawless lately.

You simply have no clue about Meade's focuser design. You made a derogatory comment on something you have no clue. As a vendor you are not supposed to comment on other vendors products so shut up too.

Mike Wiles
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: Goodyear, AZ
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Alph]
      #5676094 - 02/12/13 03:34 PM

Quote:

You made a derogatory comment on something you have no clue. As a vendor you are not supposed to comment on other vendors products...

"It will be too bad though if they did not get it to work because I think that it was the one advancement that the new scopes made over the competition."

Derogatory?

EFT

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! *DELETED* new [Re: Alph]
      #5676166 - 02/12/13 04:07 PM

Post deleted by EFT

Scotty H

Reged: 11/15/10

Loc: Surrey,UK
      #5676188 - 02/12/13 04:17 PM

Quote:

This car does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. This car will go 60mph.

All very interesting about the focuser etc.....
Just had a look at Meade Store, LX850 it seems you get both the Zero Shift Crayford style and electronic focuser with the ota mount packages. Still dont see anything about mirror locks though. We shall see
One would hope this info is current and uptodate. Still as has been said we'll just have to wait until the general public get there grubby mits on them

Good luck peeps
Scott

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5676194 - 02/12/13 04:20 PM

Make the primary mirror as perfect as possible. The corrector plate doesn't need to be aligned with the primary. No you can put the primary on a threaded baffle so when you turn the focuser it spins the primary so that it threads up and down. Seems like a simple solution to me.

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
      #5676245 - 02/12/13 04:42 PM

Guys & Gals,

Please, no more disrespectful posts toward each other. Be nice (and on topic) from here on out. You can disagree without being disrespectful.

Thanks,

-James

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Texas
      #5676739 - 02/12/13 10:41 PM

Quote:

the possibility that the design and implementation of the system could prove difficult.

You are way over thinking this. The crayford focuser on the OTA is still there and (at least on the two samples I have seen) works very well. There is no shift during focus and the fine control provides precise focus. However, holding the big 14" mirror becomes problematic with gravity changes (although they tell me they have made improvements even beyond the sample(s) I have.) For the 14" they added the mirror lock. Since you can't focus with the OTA knob when locked they through in the electric focuser. I think they are shiping one with all the scopes as well. It's OK for most people but for those who want temp control, digital precision, knock yourself out and upgrade.

frozen.kryo

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: iceblaze]
      #5676744 - 02/12/13 10:44 PM

Does anyone remember if the LX800s had spring loaded wormblocks? Maybe belt driven worms to counter backlash?

I'm primarily concerned about the backlash in DEC. My current mount is fine. It's able to guide to below seeing, but I still have countless subs ruined by wind buffets causing DEC elongation. I can see my phd graph go crazy in DEC caused by the wind.

I'm thinking new mounts should all have backlash elimination features, hence my posted question above.

If anyone knows anything, please do chime in.

galaxy_jason
Vendor

#5676745 - 02/12/13 10:46 PM

Quote:

Rickety, I do not care if it looks like the leaning tower of Piza,

I can tell you that the 14" on the LX850 is more solid than my 12" RCX 400.

EFT

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: galaxy_jason]
      #5676754 - 02/12/13 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the possibility that the design and implementation of the system could prove difficult.

You are way over thinking this. The crayford focuser on the OTA is still there and (at least on the two samples I have seen) works very well. There is no shift during focus and the fine control provides precise focus. However, holding the big 14" mirror becomes problematic with gravity changes (although they tell me they have made improvements even beyond the sample(s) I have.) For the 14" they added the mirror lock. Since you can't focus with the OTA knob when locked they through in the electric focuser. I think they are shiping one with all the scopes as well. It's OK for most people but for those who want temp control, digital precision, knock yourself out and upgrade.

Thanks Jason. That's good to hear. I would really like to see some kind of bearing system become standard for SCT primary mirrors. I know how I would build it, but then I tend to build things to last through a nuclear blast sometimes. So if their new system can throw around a 14 inch mirror with minimal shift due to the focusing mechanism itself (understanding that gravity always wins), that I think that will be a good advancement in the basic design of the SCT.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

#5676779 - 02/12/13 11:14 PM

Quote:

I can tell you that the 14" on the LX850 is more solid than my 12" RCX 400.

That's a metric that I find encouraging. I had a 12" RCX here for six months and stability wasn't bad at all.

Pak

#5677509 - 02/13/13 11:37 AM

Someone on the Lx850 yahoo group reports having the LX850 already.

Griffin!
sage

#5678125 - 02/13/13 06:22 PM

And he's posted a first light image:

http://www.meade4m.com/index.php?/gallery/image/141-m81-first-light-with-lx85...

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Griffin!]
      #5678145 - 02/13/13 06:34 PM

Purty dang good, I'd say. Hey! Maybe Meade _is_ onto something!

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: rmollise]
      #5678217 - 02/13/13 07:22 PM

I sure hope so. Nothing's ever perfect, but it sure would be nice if this concept at least worked fairly well and wasn't just a pile of hurt. It's bad for everyone when things like this go horribly horribly wrong (as in the whole idea has to be shelved).

Paul

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: psandelle]
      #5678751 - 02/14/13 03:37 AM

Very nice first light! Congrats Glen if you are reading this thread.

ASTERON
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: ISRAEL
      #5678778 - 02/14/13 05:06 AM

Tony,
May the mount gods be with you
We are looking forward to your first light report.

ahopp
sage

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: ASTERON]
      #5678925 - 02/14/13 08:06 AM

Asteron, I will report ASAP w/Pictures and first light report.

Also, I got a call from Meade about my scope. I should have tracking info by midweek. And, he informed me that I had a $500 credit on Meade gear for all the trouble. I thought that was pretty cool and will spend the money on a 6000 series 80mm APO. Should make a nice little piggy-back scope.

Tony

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5679249 - 02/14/13 11:31 AM

Quote:

Asteron, I will report ASAP w/Pictures and first light report.

Also, I got a call from Meade about my scope. I should have tracking info by midweek. And, he informed me that I had a $500 credit on Meade gear for all the trouble. I thought that was pretty cool and will spend the money on a 6000 series 80mm APO. Should make a nice little piggy-back scope.

Tony

Wow!! That is awesome!! I it is true that good things come to those who wait.

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
      #5679309 - 02/14/13 12:04 PM

Quote:

And he's posted a first light image:

http://www.meade4m.com/index.php?/gallery/image/141-m81-first-light-with-lx85...

The color seems a bit washed out. <g>

dan k.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #5680343 - 02/14/13 10:36 PM

Stars are elongated and show peaks at each end. Guiding was not too great if you ask me. But hey, if it is good enough for you, go for it!
Blueman

Griffin!
sage

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: blueman]
      #5680364 - 02/14/13 10:49 PM

He posted a follow up comment under his image regarding alignment. Personally I think the stars look great, but it'll be interesting to see what others get out of the mount.

"I did not take a lot of time aligning the scope, was in a rush to get something.
Next image will be after a more thorough alignment, and taking some flat fields. StarLock found a guide star and acquired it in a few seconds. The slew was so good that I didn't have to center it manually (that was an issue with the LX 800 - it would slew close enough for visual, but not for imaging.if the image seems off center, that is due to the cropping done to fit the gallery."

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: blueman]
      #5680423 - 02/14/13 11:30 PM

Quote:

Stars are elongated and show peaks at each end. Guiding was not too great if you ask me. But hey, if it is good enough for you, go for it!
Blueman

I took this into photoshop and resampled it up 300 percent. This stars are a bit bean shaped which looks a bit like a collimation issue rather than guiding.

Pak

#5687248 - 02/18/13 04:16 PM

I am looking forward to more reports. I am worried with only having one report back so far. Did everyone but Tony and Glen cancel their orders? Is everyone waiting to get reports before ordering? Granted only the 10" versions seem to have shipped so far. Hopefully next week we'll have more images to look at.

I would still like to see a nice starfield taken after auto-everything has been done and a nice sub of 10 minutes or so.

Just one unstacked in .tif and .fits format.

Auto calibrate Starlock.
Starlock assist drift align
Starlock assist PEC training.

10 minute sub.

Also as an aside. I have the pre-order going on the Celestron Starsense which is basically for pointing and alignment assist. I am interested in a comparison done between a $329.00 retail accessory add-on and a $5-7K mount's ability to center objects. Perhaps someone with the LX850 could run through 10 or so and snap off a photo of each object so we can see how centered they are.

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #5693310 - 02/21/13 06:38 PM

Hmmm, I guess there may be some "tweaking" to do with this first image, but for a quick set-up and "get that pict", I think it is quite amazing. No time spent loving, learning, and getting to know all the nuances of the LX850 - just a quick "date" and got the picture. Pretty good to me.

Now just patiently waiting for my 14" LX850...and MallinCam...and, oh you know the drill!

-- Andrew

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
30 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4870

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics