Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: andysea]
      #5675310 - 02/12/13 06:39 AM

Quote:

My Mach1 doesn't feel rickety tho so why would the Meade?

Because Mach1 is half the capacity of LX850.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: mmalik]
      #5675372 - 02/12/13 07:56 AM

Rickety, I do not care if it looks like the leaning tower of Piza, as long as it performs to spec. Which better include carrying a 90# load.

I do, however, care about fit and finish too. And from what it looked like when I first got the 14" it was built beautifully. I am sure that the LX850 will also be beautifully built.

One more observation, when I got the LX800 back in May i thought it was the nicest looking Meade product I have seen, so, even aesthetically they are making progress as a company. I just hope they do not falter again.

Tony

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! *DELETED* *DELETED* new [Re: Pak]
      #5675597 - 02/12/13 11:00 AM

Post deleted by EFT

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: EFT]
      #5675620 - 02/12/13 11:14 AM

I'm not sure where you read that the internal crayford focuser was gone, it says right in the specs for the ACF models:

"Focus System

Internal Crayford style zero image-shift primary mirror focus with dual speed 7:1 control"

And Jason Ware has confirmed it's stil on the OTAs

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #5675621 - 02/12/13 11:14 AM

Quote:

Because Mach1 is half the capacity of LX850.

If you compare the LX-850 and the Mach 1 side by side, you can see that the former appears to be a clone of the latter.

I guess that Meade's manufacturing process is so superior to AP's, that the Meade can carry twice as much.

Who knew?

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5675628 - 02/12/13 11:21 AM

Quote:

Ditching the internal "crayford" focuser would not surprise me. While it is a good idea in theory, it is not necessarily easy to implement due to the high precision machining necessary to make it work right and a bad implementation of the design would likely be even worse than the standard SCT design of sliding on the baffle tube. Mirror shift in the standard SCT design is relatively consistent in magnitude and direction with each scope whereas if the primary riding on ball bearings was not riding on a perfectly flat and smooth track, the focus would be all over the place and the adjustment mechanism to strighten the primary on the bearings to the optical axis would be fairly complex. It will be too bad though if they did not get it to work because I think that it was the one advancement that the new scopes made over the competition.

According to LX850 website..., internal Crayford is still there.

"We kept the same innovative concepts...//..., f/8 ACF OTAs with internal Crayford-style two-speed focuser..."

Bearings or not, SCT is primarily a visual platform.

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
      #5675650 - 02/12/13 11:33 AM

No I am talking about the wording. No longer do they specifically state zero shift nor do they talk about not needing mirror locks. They still have the internal crayford type focuser but obviously they could not make it do what they originally claimed it could do so they changed the wording.

This car does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. This car will go 60mph.

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
      #5675725 - 02/12/13 12:16 PM

Quote:

Mirror shift in the standard SCT design is relatively consistent in magnitude and direction with each scope whereas if the primary riding on ball bearings was not riding on a perfectly flat and smooth track, the focus would be all over the place and the adjustment mechanism to strighten the primary on the bearings to the optical axis would be fairly complex.

Unless you have built and tested a bunch of 14" SCTs with internal crayford focuser then you are just speculating.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Pak]
      #5675739 - 02/12/13 12:25 PM

Quote:

No I am talking about the wording. No longer do they specifically state zero shift nor do they talk about not needing mirror locks. They still have the internal crayford type focuser but obviously they could not make it do what they originally claimed it could do so they changed the wording.

What about the mirror lock you said they added? And the included junk electric focuser to which you refer? I see no reference on the website to either of those.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5675749 - 02/12/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

Bearings or not, SCT is primarily a visual platform.

Since when?

Pak

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5675898 - 02/12/13 01:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What about the mirror lock you said they added? And the included junk electric focuser to which you refer? I see no reference on the website to either of those.

The mirror lock was mentioned by Jason in that the new 14" he got has a mirror lock now. And the electric focuser is listed in the contents section of their site and also there is a separate thread about it on Cloudy Nights.

www.meade.com/lx850 last item on this list "Zero image-shift microfocuser for exact electronic control of focus."

They are not doing us a special favor by including the electric focuser, I can only believe that they are trying to head off complaints as to why the mirror does in fact shift when you focus and why it will not hold its focus and why the mirror flops around. So the addressed the mirror flop by adding a lock and the other potential complaints by adding an electric focuser. As many others have already mentioned in the other thread about the focuser, it is loud and uses set screws instead of compression rings so it will mark up whatever you use it with. Thus many folks will not use it and will end up buying another motorized focuser. So maybe the 8-12" OTA's won't have the lock, I have no idea. I just know the 14" that Tony is getting will have one.

Edited by Pak (02/12/13 01:59 PM)

EFT

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! *DELETED* new [Re: Alph]
      #5675908 - 02/12/13 01:53 PM

Post deleted by EFT

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #5675913 - 02/12/13 01:55 PM

I have the old model electric focuser from Meade. While it is a relative focuser, and therefore lacks absolute positioning, it did very well and only started to struggle when loads got close to 1 Kg. I would assume the focuser has been improved with the new model.

You also have to look at this focuser the same way you would look at the Kit lens on a DSLR. Both Canon and Nikon make great DSLRs but everybody knows that if you wanted a good lens, you wouldnt bother with the kit lens. It's only there to get you started

Pak

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5675925 - 02/12/13 02:01 PM

Quote:

I have the old model electric focuser from Meade. While it is a relative focuser, and therefore lacks absolute positioning, it did very well and only started to struggle when loads got close to 1 Kg. I would assume the focuser has been improved with the new model.

You also have to look at this focuser the same way you would look at the Kit lens on a DSLR. Both Canon and Nikon make great DSLRs but everybody knows that if you wanted a good lens, you wouldnt bother with the kit lens. It's only there to get you started

I guess we'll know next week or the week after.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #5675935 - 02/12/13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess we'll know next week or the week after.

I think that's the healthiest attitude we can take towards these mounts. After all, other than people who signed a non disclosure agreement and Jason, there's not a lot people having used these mounts out there. Jason had some minor negative comments but I don't recall they had anything to do with the focuser. So we wait till the real deal gets out and people actually start using them.

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
      #5676061 - 02/12/13 03:18 PM

Quote:

But I have been inside enough SCTs to see the potential design and implementation issues associated with such a design and Meades design and implementation of new ideas hasn't exactly been flawless lately.

You simply have no clue about Meade's focuser design. You made a derogatory comment on something you have no clue. As a vendor you are not supposed to comment on other vendors products so shut up too.

Mike Wiles
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: Goodyear, AZ
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Alph]
      #5676094 - 02/12/13 03:34 PM

Quote:

You made a derogatory comment on something you have no clue. As a vendor you are not supposed to comment on other vendors products...

"It will be too bad though if they did not get it to work because I think that it was the one advancement that the new scopes made over the competition."

Derogatory?

EFT

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! *DELETED* new [Re: Alph]
      #5676166 - 02/12/13 04:07 PM

Post deleted by EFT

Scotty H

Reged: 11/15/10

Loc: Surrey,UK
      #5676188 - 02/12/13 04:17 PM

Quote:

This car does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. This car will go 60mph.

All very interesting about the focuser etc.....
Just had a look at Meade Store, LX850 it seems you get both the Zero Shift Crayford style and electronic focuser with the ota mount packages. Still dont see anything about mirror locks though. We shall see
One would hope this info is current and uptodate. Still as has been said we'll just have to wait until the general public get there grubby mits on them

Good luck peeps
Scott

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5676194 - 02/12/13 04:20 PM

Make the primary mirror as perfect as possible. The corrector plate doesn't need to be aligned with the primary. No you can put the primary on a threaded baffle so when you turn the focuser it spins the primary so that it threads up and down. Seems like a simple solution to me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4860

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics