Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/14/09

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy...
Re: This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers? new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5697719 - 02/24/13 02:29 AM

Laptop w/serial port, and USB ports, problem(s) solved.

Oh Yea, W_XP_+SP2. No need for anything else.

W7 and or W8 too probelm-atic, stick with XP in admin mode.
Dual core, 2 gb ram, enough for all applications, simple and refined/proven reliability.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers? new [Re: SKYGZR]
      #5699863 - 02/25/13 01:36 PM

LOL on the EOL products!

LeCarl

Reged: 03/16/11

#5703562 - 02/27/13 01:53 PM

Maybe a good idea is to skip the usb era with wireless? it can go very far too... (seen some product for mount...)

as dslr for ex. the 6D begin to be wireless shuttering and upload, very good to faststar and avoid wire problem

personal: rs232 is really painfull to me (china adapters mess with updates and things) real intel on laptop rs232 work properly in my case, I keep this old laptop to do updates.

I bought 2X 25 meters +-20$ active usb cable that work very good and never had problem with...
I can't use an slow laptop as, I use it to stack and check my work in live... so I7, fast ssd, big 7200rpm drive...
an asus g75vw

I think that the usb and rs232 have their quality and problem...

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers? new [Re: LeCarl]
      #5703597 - 02/27/13 02:16 PM

The issue with wireless is the possible loss of dropped packets.. serial does not do a good job of error control..
Plus it's half duplex..

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5703655 - 02/27/13 02:49 PM

Seriously, it's time to go wheels-up with wireless communication architectures on mounts. USB is actually a dead end, also, since it has the length issues and is PC-tied.

Either bluetooth or WiFi have legs for the future. If they want to use serial cables internally, OK. Otherwise, this is seriously a trip into the land of the arcane as modern computing hardware is going to be far more likely to be a tablet than any form of PC. So, a bluetooth architecture would really be nice- especially since the dreaded cord wrap exits at that point.

-Rich

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5703685 - 02/27/13 03:09 PM

gige

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5704166 - 02/27/13 08:02 PM

Hey, if all the magic ASCOM driver with the special wire and the blessed +2 USB dongle and tinkering with a Remote Desktop box goes away in exchange for just using the wireless devices everyone already owns, I don't think you'll get a complaint.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (02/27/13 08:06 PM)

SkipW
sage

Reged: 02/03/11

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
      #5704169 - 02/27/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

The issue with wireless is the possible loss of dropped packets.. serial does not do a good job of error control..
Plus it's half duplex..

RS-232 serial is half duplex?

Sean13
sage

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: North Platte, Nebraska
Re: This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers? new [Re: SkipW]
      #5704225 - 02/27/13 08:38 PM

I didn't actually read thru page 2 and 3 of the thread, but I just want to throw it out there that I have been using cheap Chinese made serial adapters without the slightest bit of trouble for about 6 months now. I didn't feel like paying $35+ for a proper converter when ebay had cheap china ones for $2.99 shipped. I expected bad results, so I bought 3 of them just in case. All 3 work perfectly and I've never had to switch one out because of failure. Its been in temps down to -5F and covered with frost without so much as a hiccup.

To top it off the cheap serial adapter is connected to a cheap 7 port USB hub mounted on my mount, and connected to my laptop in the garage with a PTC 65ft USB cable. When plugged in my comm port is always the same, so I'm not sure why others are having to switch ports everytime they plug in. As long as you plug into the same USB port as you did before, your comm port should end up being the same.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers? new [Re: SkipW]
      #5704311 - 02/27/13 09:28 PM

wireless is half duplex.. hense why it is not compatible with usb 2.0 bi direction support..

You only run over 1 wireless channel..

unless your device and wap are multi radio.. which is not a normal config.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers? new [Re: Sean13]
      #5705824 - 02/28/13 05:40 PM

Quote:

I have been using cheap Chinese made serial adapters without the slightest bit of trouble for about 6 months now. I didn't feel like paying $35+ for a proper converter when ebay had cheap china ones for $2.99 shipped.

Are you able to post details of exactly which serial adaptors you are getting? The feedback I get on the ASCOM groups is that a lot of people have problems. If there's a solid way of getting connectivity that would be really useful.

Chris

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers? new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5705935 - 02/28/13 06:35 PM

The chinese versions will work fine as long as it's not a clone knockoff prolific chip. It's a *BLEEP* (fine cr@:p) shoot.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #5706339 - 02/28/13 10:30 PM

Here's the thing.. there are these China "Linvor" Serial to Bluetooth dongles out there. How hard would it be to graft one of these directly to an existing mount controller? since it's still serial, the mount controller would not need any re-engineering, just a daughter board with the bluetooth controller.

I've had a look inside a GTO CP3 controller (when I replaced the Q chip with an S chip) and there is definitely space for a bluetooth adapter. The only challenge is the case is solid metal.. there would need to be a cutout for the bluetooth antenna.

Waldemar

Reged: 08/02/08

Loc: Netherlands
Re: This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers? new [Re: StarmanDan]
      #5706617 - 03/01/13 05:38 AM

Quote:

IMO, I think most manufacturers are staying with RS-232 as it is (at least for me) more reliable and you can use it over longer distances than USB without needing any fancy adapters or converters. It would be nice though to see USB supported with maybe a built in USB hub in the mount to reduce cable clutter.

Those are two of the many reasons why I like my ASA DDM60Pro so much

But I agree: FTDI are the best converters. I used them on other mounts and on my ASA before it was upgraded.

Edited by Waldemar (03/01/13 05:05 PM)

Sean13
sage

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: North Platte, Nebraska
Re: This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers? new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5706900 - 03/01/13 10:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have been using cheap Chinese made serial adapters without the slightest bit of trouble for about 6 months now. I didn't feel like paying $35+ for a proper converter when ebay had cheap china ones for $2.99 shipped.

Are you able to post details of exactly which serial adaptors you are getting? The feedback I get on the ASCOM groups is that a lot of people have problems. If there's a solid way of getting connectivity that would be really useful.

Chris

Here... is the ebay link to the adapters I bought. I bought 3 just in case, and all 3 work just fine, never had a problem in the 6 months I've been using it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2776

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics