Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | >> (show all)
DesertCrawler

Reged: 05/30/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6152586 - 10/22/13 10:10 PM

Quote:

I guess it is what you refer to as dithering then. Sounds like electronic beeps, kind of like a dial up connection or something.

Yes, that's it. This occurs when the sensor on the encoder cannot tell the difference between one interval and the next. It basically gets stuck between transitions and the controller gets confused. Besides occasional dithering, my mount has so far been quite silent during use.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ramasule]
      #6153993 - 10/23/13 04:05 PM

I taped my endcaps a while back. While it didn't eradicate the noise I think it may have helped a tiny bit. I really can't tell because while I'm outside the ambient noise drowns the sounds out for the most part.

iOptron
Vendor (iOptron Corp.)

Reged: 04/14/11

#6154637 - 10/24/13 12:02 AM Attachment (86 downloads)

The ZEQ25 mount uses springs to load the worm shaft onto the wheel (ring gear) in order to eliminate/minimize backlash and protecting the motors. Any excess force to rotate the wheel would push the worm backed off or disengaged. If the force is strong enough, a “slippage” or “gear jumping” would occur. This is the mechanism to protect the gear system. When a mount is at a perfect balanced state, there should be no force applied to the worm gear and therefore no slippage should ever happen at all.

It seems there were some confusions between a “play” (gear free move) and the normal worm retreat due to a external force, such as swing the CW shaft or wiggling the dovetail saddle. We’ve posted a file in iOptron Yahoo Group file section to explain how to determine if the movement of your mount/scope is a play or just simply the gear is forced to move. The file is also attached here.

CS!

iOptron

Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: iOptron]
      #6154676 - 10/24/13 12:41 AM

Thank you for this document. It is greatly appreciated. The included pictures are very helpful.

Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #6154722 - 10/24/13 01:21 AM

Can you specify which is the "hinge locking screw" in item 7 and which is the "worm end caps" in item 8?

iOptron
Vendor (iOptron Corp.)

Reged: 04/14/11

#6155099 - 10/24/13 09:38 AM

There will be another file for play adjustment. Send a request to support@ioptron.com for a copy if you want to adjust the play. They are also mentioned in Paul's video.

iOptron

DesertCrawler

Reged: 05/30/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: iOptron]
      #6155142 - 10/24/13 09:59 AM

Good stuff. Thank you for the official explanation. It, along with Paul's instructional video, should go a long way to help those people having issues with these mounts.

My mount'S RA AXIS suffered from the descriptions in 7 and 8 referring to the attached document. Both the RA and DEC axis still have a little play from item 8 that I have yet to address, but it doesn't impact me enough to make me disassemble the mount again. Maybe this weekend.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
      #6155239 - 10/24/13 10:42 AM Attachment (34 downloads)

Quote:

Can you specify which is the "hinge locking screw" in item 7 and which is the "worm end caps" in item 8?

With the cover removed, and the belt, pulley and encoder motor removed, you can access the worm mesh, worm and hinge adjustment screws.

This is an image of the housing disassembled with annotations:

The worm end caps can be adjusted without disassembly, just with the cover removed.

You can use a small pocket screwdriver to nudge the brass worm nut tighter or looser.

Snug the brass worm nut up against the worm only enough to remove side to side play on the worm, do not over-tighten the brass nut.

In terms of force applied, imagine tightening it with your fingernail until play is removed.

Hope the image helps,

Paul

ramasule

Reged: 04/12/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6158475 - 10/26/13 12:01 AM

Paul how many times have you taken that damn thing apart now?

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

#6158656 - 10/26/13 05:23 AM

I don't know how many times Paul taken is mount apart but I just finished fine tuning number 7. It's working really well but still not as well as Pauls. Guess my mechanical skills are substantially worse than his. My max error is about 1/2 pixel which is about 6 arc seconds when guiding. Which is still amazingly good for an 800$ mount. But I still believe with more fine tuning I should be able to get it lower. In various test I ran when I couldn't image because of intermittent clouds, I noticed that the mount is extremely sensitive to balancing a couple of ounces off and the error pretty much doubles. Don't know if that's true for all equatorial mounts as this is my first one.

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
      #6158721 - 10/26/13 08:00 AM

lost my RJ 11 cable in the dark. dumb question.. can I use any RJ 11 cable for the DEC port?w

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6158804 - 10/26/13 09:33 AM

Quote:

lost my RJ 11 cable in the dark. dumb question.. can I use any RJ 11 cable for the DEC port?w

You can use any RJ11 cable, but the connectors have to be 'straight pinned'.

Ie, when holding the connectors side by side, with the locking tabs up, all the colors should match in both connectors from left to right.

You can get a RJ11 crimper and some RJ11 connectors at a local electronics store (Radio Shack)and do it yourself?

Using a normal RJ11 with reverse pinned connections will fry something....!

You can also e-mail iOptron support and purchase another cable (or two).

Best..Paul

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6158814 - 10/26/13 09:41 AM

I noticed that the mount is extremely sensitive to balancing a couple of ounces off and the error pretty much doubles. Don't know if that's true for all equatorial mounts as this is my first one.

That doesn't sound right? Do not balance perfectly, that will only cause the worm to bounce back and forth on the ring endlessly.

Always balance a little heavy in both axis. My mount, for imaging, likes to be ota nose heavy in DEC, and scope heavy in RA for imaging in most cases.

The imbalance keeps the worm in mesh against one side of the ring and will smooth out your guiding. Your ota becomes a 'damper' against any movement (wind) that would cause the worm to lose contact with the ring gear.

Of course, a re-balance is necessary after a meridian flip, to just the opposite.

Cheers...Paul

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

#6158817 - 10/26/13 09:44 AM

Quote:

Paul how many times have you taken that damn thing apart now?

Hi, I haven't counted, but I can have both axes dis-assembled completely in about 20 minutes...:)

The mount is really quite simple, and really well-engineered.

Regards...Paul

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6158832 - 10/26/13 09:54 AM

Paul, you could probably start a semi lucrative side job tuning these things for people... Lol.

I can see it now, "I have an Astronewb modified ZEQ"

ramasule

Reged: 04/12/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seanem44]
      #6159123 - 10/26/13 12:48 PM

Atleast shipping would be cheaper.

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: ramasule]
      #6159684 - 10/26/13 07:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Paul, I guess the next step in improving performance is adjusting the balance as you indicate. The main reason I was going for perfect balance is the fact that I really trying to avoid rebalancing the telescope at night after meridian flip.
On the issue of meridian flips, is there any negative effect of imaging past meridian as long as the telescope doesn't it the mount?

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: gramaglia]
      #6159700 - 10/26/13 07:36 PM

Quote:

On the issue of meridian flips, is there any negative effect of imaging past meridian as long as the telescope doesn't it the mount?

As long as you have clearance between your setup and the tripod legs the effects are minimum.

One, if you are guiding, you will have to 'flip' the calibration data to continue, I usually just recalibrate anyway.

Two, your balance will be off from your previous settings, if you were imaging East, with objects rising, the ota should have been a bit heavy in both axes. Now that you have flipped, and objects are descending, the ota should be camera heavy and the mount should be c/w heavy, just the opposite of what you had.

That will keep the worm meshed correctly against the ring.

Best...Paul

mikeboni

Reged: 10/05/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6160920 - 10/27/13 03:01 PM

I picked up a ZEQ25 a couple weeks ago, and was about to give it it's first try under the sky last night. Unfortunately, the LCD screen on the hand controller seems to have failed, it's got no text! I'd been playing with the mount in my living room with no problems, but apparently it's afraid of the dark. The red backlight worked, and I could slew the mount with the buttons and return to the zero position, so the logic parts on the controller seem functional, but the display remained blank. I just sent an email to ioptron support, hopefully we can do a simple swap with a working one.

I presume nobody else has run into this, or they'd have mentioned it here?

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: mikeboni]
      #6161117 - 10/27/13 05:20 PM

super clear here tonite ill be out!!

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | >> (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55061

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics