Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | (show all)
HeyJP
sage

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6335908 - 01/26/14 01:31 AM Attachment (38 downloads)

Just popped my Televue Pronto off and popped my de-forked Celestar 8 OTA onto the ZEQ25GT. I need the 2nd counterweight (which was backordered), but the balance was still close enough to see the Supernova in M82 and get a few pix from my front yard in downtown Boulder.

What a nice mount!! I love the etched polar scope. Did a 1-star align and I was good to go for the eve. M82 popped right in the center of my view. Then went to M51, M101 and Dubhe. All right in the dead center. Love it!

Jim in Boulder

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: HeyJP]
      #6336745 - 01/26/14 01:52 PM

Quote:

Just popped my Televue Pronto off and popped my de-forked Celestar 8 OTA onto the ZEQ25GT. I need the 2nd counterweight (which was backordered), but the balance was still close enough to see the Supernova in M82 and get a few pix from my front yard in downtown Boulder.

Very nice setup Jim. If there is long wait for the counterweight, you might consider just ordering the extension bar from iOptron:

https://www.ioptron.com/index.cfm?select=productdetails&phid=e05b3bdd-a00...

All things considered, it's always better to have the counterweights closer to the fulcrum point though.

Cheers...Paul

Edited by Astronewb (01/26/14 08:43 PM)

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
      #6336958 - 01/26/14 03:45 PM

Quote:

Very nice setup Jim. If there is long wait for the counterweight, you might consider just ordering the extension bar from iOptron:

I found I saved a lot on shipping when I ordered my extension bar from an iOptron vendor (in my case Woodland Hills). I suspect iOptron raises their shipping charges to protect their vendors.

calypsob
sage

Reged: 04/20/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: DonH]
      #6340178 - 01/28/14 04:22 AM

don, the zeq25 handles the steel 8" RC just fine, you will need another counter weight of the same size, or a smaller 5lb on an extension shaft will work too.

HeyJP
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: calypsob]
      #6342108 - 01/28/14 11:30 PM

Paul,

I took my OTA off and was setting the mount/tripod in my trunk to travel to a galaxy far, far away... Or at least a place far, far away to look at a galaxy, when the still attached counterweight swung down 6 inches with an awful brbrbrbrback sound which I assume is what you refer to as "camming" as the gears were not disengaged.

Does this damage the gears? I would assume it is better to not do this but is there no, little, or ugly damage from this? Aside from being more careful handling with more TLC, is it better to free the DEC axis when laying it down to avoid the camming possibility?

Jim in Boulder

HeyJP
sage

#6342157 - 01/29/14 12:06 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Oh, and here's a snap of my first astrophoto with the ZEQ25GT mount... with my de-forked Celestar 8 OTA and Canon 6D. 10 images of M81 and M82 in the same frame, Canon 6D at ISO 3200, stacked. Poor seeing, so it's a bit fuzzy, but fun none-the-less!

Jim in Boulder

Seldom
professor emeritus

#6342172 - 01/29/14 12:28 AM

Nice photo.
Quote:

an awful brbrbrbrback sound

As I said above, check out Paul's tune up video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cjqs4iDW1c
It will do wonders for the camming sound. At least it did on mine.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seldom]
      #6342189 - 01/29/14 12:49 AM

Quote:

Does this damage the gears? I would assume it is better to not do this but is there no, little, or ugly damage from this? Aside from being more careful handling with more TLC, is it better to free the DEC axis when laying it down to avoid the camming possibility?

First things first, nice image of the Supernova. I like that concept, an ancient ota on a modern mount, nice. And it works!

I leave mine locked, and just exercise caution when laying the mount/tripod over.

Obviously the noise did no damage except to your pride Jim.

The worm is spring loaded, so it will bounce off every tooth on the ring when that happens. Always remove the counterweight when even thinking about any position except the vertical position, on any mount.

Despite the nasty sounds, the chance of any damage is minimal. I did exactly the same thing with a new iEQ45 and 40 pounds of counterweights..lol. I did have to get into the ring gear and clean out all the old grease and alloy whiskers shaved off the aluminum ring by the brass worm.

After cleaning and re-lubricating the worm and ring it functioned perfectly. The worm rides deep in the toothed gears of the ring, and unless the ring teeth get burred badly, it will not have any adverse affect.

To wit, you could machine off most of the top of the ring and it will still perform as long as the worm has a bit of face contact on the remaining ring teeth.

Glad to hear you had a successful night, despite the poor seeing. Focus is a bit soft, Bahtinov to the rescue?

Best...Paul

HeyJP
sage

#6342197 - 01/29/14 12:58 AM

Thanks a bunch to both of you! I feel better now.

Jim

ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Reged: 02/06/05

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
      #6343798 - 01/29/14 05:55 PM

Ordered our ZEQ25 this afternoon!

sparkyht

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: 43N 89W
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ScottAz]
      #6343929 - 01/29/14 07:15 PM

Quote:

Ordered our ZEQ25 this afternoon!

Ordered mine yesterday! Bittersweet though because it is backordered along with the extra counterweight. All they could tell me is they are expecting a delivery of mounts to come eventually, hopefully my order can be filled when it does.

The waiting game trudges forward.....

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: sparkyht]
      #6343967 - 01/29/14 07:40 PM

Hey guys, I need some help.

I'm getting some weird heart shape stars. This happens on exposures from 30 Seconds and up, guided and unguided. I don't think it's my AT65 at this point. If this is a tracking issue, is it known? What do I do to fix? Does the cross talk cause this? Just trying to figure out what's going on here. Thanks.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6344066 - 01/29/14 08:37 PM

Sean,

Can you post a photo showing the stars? Is the problem at all the corners as well as in the center of the FOV?

Mike

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6344080 - 01/29/14 08:46 PM

www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6341706/page/0/view...

It's in a post in DSLR forum.

Now I think it might be the optics because an unguided M31 from October (2 min exposures) turned out decent enough.

I'm so confused and frustrated.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seanem44]
      #6344123 - 01/29/14 09:10 PM

Why don't you post one of your pictures on the DSLR imaging forum. Lots of help there for this kind of problems.

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6344151 - 01/29/14 09:29 PM

Yeah. They said it might be tracking. Just got to wait for clear skies to figure it out.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: sparkyht]
      #6344461 - 01/30/14 02:04 AM

Quote:

Ordered mine yesterday! Bittersweet though because it is backordered along with the extra counterweight. All they could tell me is they are expecting a delivery of mounts to come eventually, hopefully my order can be filled when it does.

The waiting game trudges forward.....

This... still seems to be shipping. Regards

nine44
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: mmalik]
      #6345889 - 01/30/14 07:45 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

I've gotten so much from all of you here on CN--I thought it's time to give back. Here is my latest invention. Can I patent this?

Seriously--anything that prevents me from removing my gloves in this weather is an innovation.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: nine44]
      #6345945 - 01/30/14 08:24 PM

Good idea!

Seldom
professor emeritus

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6346047 - 01/30/14 09:13 PM

Quote:

Good idea!

Another one, maybe. Replace the "washer" fitting on the reticle LED with a pair of small "O" rings. A little compression on the "O" rings keeps the LED from unscrewing, something that happened every night. (Apologies if this has been suggested before, but it's such a loooong thread.)

Edited by Seldom (01/30/14 09:14 PM)

Pages: << 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55422

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics