Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Losmandy's new high-speed motor
      #5739443 - 03/17/13 07:08 PM

They're very VERY loud. I purchased one to replace my RA motor that I burned out after missing a limit. This thing is nearly 2-3x as loud as my declination motor. It's downright ridiculous.

On the plus side, it moves around 50# like there isn't anything on the mount.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: Raginar]
      #5739726 - 03/17/13 09:55 PM

Why is this? You can buy motorized anythings and most I can think of, either in industrial or consumer applications are for the most part almost silent. Is it due to the huge speed differences between tracking and slewing?

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: herrointment]
      #5739869 - 03/17/13 11:56 PM

the Mach1 is also surprisingly loud, louder than my CGEM.

it's probably the gearbox. reducing the periodic error in the gearbox means using a fine-toothed gear set with very tight tolerances. that tends to make it noisy..

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5740423 - 03/18/13 10:37 AM

Orly,

You think if I bought McClaren gearboxes the noise would go down? It's like using a power drill.

SteveProcter

Reged: 03/21/09

Loc: UK
      #5740448 - 03/18/13 10:53 AM

My friend has a new G-11 with the new motors installed. He also was very concerned about noise of the new high-torque motors. however, as we listened more carefully, we soon realised that the extra noise was emanating from the gearbox and not the motor itself. The higher torque of the new motors (the torque is supposedly higher than the Maxon motors) seems to be putting more strain on the gearbox and in my opinion the design of the gearbox is less than adequate. I previously changed the standard gearboxes on my MI-250 with the Maxon motors installed for their McLennan counterparts and the noise was reduced.

SMigol
sage

Reged: 07/30/10

Loc: California, USA
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: SteveProcter]
      #5740823 - 03/18/13 02:26 PM

You can set the max slew speed on the hand controller and it will make them a bit quieter at the expense of speed of movement.

contraf15

Reged: 10/24/09

#5745043 - 03/20/13 12:24 PM

I completely disassembled the gearboxes on my new (in Jan) G11, cleaned them, and greased them with SuperLube before bolting them back together. The change in noise level when slewing the mount was astounding. It didn't even sound like the same mount, it was that much quieter. It is quite tolerable now, much quieter than my old CGEM (which wasn't the case before). Those gearboxes are ridiculously noisy without any modification.

Jeremy

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: contraf15]
      #5745068 - 03/20/13 12:43 PM

Interesting...... my Mach1 is noisier than my CGEM, even when speed-reduced to 600X (the stock is 1200X).

But the CGEM gets noisier when the worm to worm wheel mesh is too tight. Maybe that's what happened Jeremy?

contraf15

Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5745088 - 03/20/13 12:53 PM

Trust me, it was the gearboxes. After troubleshooting literally every component on this mount I have no doubt about the cause of the change in noise. I also did RA and DEC gearboxes at different times and was able to compare the slewing noise directly. Changing the worm mesh changes the pitch of the motor whine, but not the fast rattling noise of the gearboxes which on my mount ended up being noisier than the motors.

Jeremy

Footbag
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
      #5745104 - 03/20/13 01:04 PM

I was surprised at how loud the Mach 1 motors are. Of course, I couldn't care less about the noise as long as they perform well.

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: Footbag]
      #5750086 - 03/22/13 04:19 PM

Jeremy,
If you pack the gear boxes full of Lube, the noise is radically reduced.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5751004 - 03/23/13 12:15 AM

Quote:

If you pack the gear boxes full of Lube, the noise is radically reduced.

Only for a while till the lube redistributes evenly. After that the noise will come back. Honestly I think the only long term solution is to reduce slew speed. Maybe a thin layer of rubber under the gearbox to dampen the vibrations, but I haven't tried that one.

contraf15

Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5751015 - 03/23/13 12:23 AM

I only applied a thin layer of Superlube to the wheels inside the gearboxes. They aren't and have never been packed with grease, and they have been used more than enough to evenly distribute since I overhauled them. They're still just as quiet. I have some short slewing videos showing the difference, I'll put them online when I get a chance (currently traveling)

Raginar
Post Laureate

#5751421 - 03/23/13 09:36 AM

Contra, I'll give that a run when I get a chance. Are you using the high-speed motors?

Chris

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5751431 - 03/23/13 09:43 AM

I'm not sure that I get the reason for having high speed motors anyway. I have my MI250 slowed way down. I use it for imaging, but once in a while, I'll throw in an ep and view. With it slowed down, it takes, say, 15 seconds to get to an object instead of 10 seconds. I would think that keeping the slew speed at a slower rate would reduce wear.

David

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5751445 - 03/23/13 09:51 AM

David,

Honestly, I only got one because they don't see the normal motors anymore and I fried my RA motor not being careful with my safety limits. I agree there really isn't a 'point'. The only thing I thought after putting it on is that it probably works 'better' than the original motor would with a heavier load? So if/when I get a C14 for this mount, maybe it won't strain as much.

I think, later, I'll replace the gear boxes as suggested above. But for right now, it seems like the gear boxes are holding up find.

Honestly, if I could've bought an old one, I would've! 225 bucks is alot of money!

Edited by Raginar (03/23/13 09:54 AM)

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor [Re: contraf15]
      #5751449 - 03/23/13 09:53 AM

Hi,
I took each gearbox apart then cleaned and coated the teeth of each gear and axles with tripleguard, its
blue grease. Its very thick and made for the gearbox of outboard motors. I use it on everything in my mount. But I live where it gets hot in south Texas and regular grease melts. This does not.

This makes my mount very very quiet. This grease stays on the gears even after alot of use. I open it up and theres still grease on the teeth. I would only recomend it on the gearbox and maybe the worm gears but not on the bearings if you live in cold climates.
I mix triple guard and super lube for my bearings otherwise theres a little stiction when trying to balance my mount.

I have been using this on all my mounts for years.

neilson

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor [Re: Raginar]
      #5752181 - 03/23/13 04:00 PM

Quote:

You think if I bought McClaren gearboxes the noise would go down? It's like using a power drill.

I think McLaren gearboxes are dog boxes, meaning straight-cut teeth, meaning LOTS of noise. But you won't hear it over the noise from the manifold pressure.

Oh, this is an astronomy forum. I'm guessing that in order to cut down on PE the gear teeth need maximum contact area, which means straight-cut gears. Which means noise.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: hottr6]
      #5752570 - 03/23/13 07:50 PM

Hottr6, funny .

Neilson, interesting idea. Maybe I'll try it when I get them. Until then I'll just wake my neighbors up .

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5752896 - 03/23/13 10:37 PM

McLennan Gearbox Upgrade. It takes a bit of work.

David

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1616

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics