Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Advanced VX problems new [Re: jerwin]
      #5754711 - 03/24/13 06:43 PM

Just an fyi: Takes several days to get a reply when you submit a ticket but if you call them on the phone you are talking to a CSA in less than 10 minutes and you'll get it sorted fast.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Advanced VX problems new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5754755 - 03/24/13 07:06 PM

Because of their support hours I had to call them from work Friday and didn't have the mount in front of me. The tech asked me to try a few more things when I got home that night and put in a ticket through the web and attach a copy of my receipt. I should have got a ticket number from the phone support but didn't think to ask at the time. I'll probably follow up Monday,

Jim

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

#5760776 - 03/27/13 04:43 PM

The entire VX is in the mail back to Celestron. Sounds like they're replacing the entire thing as they wanted me to ship all 65lbs back to them. If they were just going to replace the motor control board and hand controller I don't think they would have asked for everything but the C6R back.

We'll see what the turn around is. April 5th and 12th weekends are pretty dark, so hopefully it arrives sometime between the two, but early enough in the week the new scope curse fades by the weekend.

Jim

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
      #5761570 - 03/27/13 11:57 PM

I received my VX today and it appears to be working correctly. Unfortunately it was cloudy tonight so all I did was set it up in my living room and ran it through its paces.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Advanced VX problems new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #5761668 - 03/28/13 01:41 AM

I'd suggest you power it up every night for a few minutes. Mine failed on the 2nd time I took it outside, which was probably the 3rd time I powered it up.

Good luck, hope you got the a good one. It was getting very good reviews here. Like anything a few are bound to miss a quality check, so I'm looking forward to my replacement.

Clear skies,
Jim

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5761925 - 03/28/13 08:49 AM

My CGEM hand controller dies on it's second use. Celestron sent a new one and the HC has been problem free for several years now. I wouldn't think the HC is any more prone to failure than before. There may be a software glitch in the new HC but that is a separate matter.

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

#5762027 - 03/28/13 09:42 AM

Thanks for that info Jim, I will try that. I was thinking that yours was dead out of the box. Thought I was safe. I hope they resolve yours for you soon. It is a drag to buy new equipment and have to ship it back.

I really like the mount. The only issue that I have is that the 11 lb counterweight is a little too much for my AT72ED. Long term that won't be a problem when I get my AT6RC, but for now, I have to slide the counterweight all of the way up the bar to balance it. The problem then is the counterweight can hit the Dec motor housing if I use the scope with that weight placement. I looked around for a 5 lb weight and all I found was 4.2 lb one from Vixen for around $70. Anybody have any ideas where I can pickup a 5 lb weight for less than that or easily make one out of a dumbbell weight.

will1384

Reged: 02/22/13

#5762174 - 03/28/13 10:57 AM

Walmart may still carry Weight Plates, and Amazon does, they come in 2.5 pounds, 5 pounds, and larger, they have a hole in the center, not sure if that hole is the size we need, but that can be fixed with ether a drill or some washers, I just hope there are no problems with the diameter of the Weight Plates, BTW last night when just using my DLSR, I did not even try using the weight.

I found the 2.5 Weight Plate as cheap as $5.50 with shipping.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Advanced VX problems new [Re: will1384]
      #5762200 - 03/28/13 11:09 AM

I would try this guy or CN classifieds. http://astronomy-mall.com/astro.parts.outlet/

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Advanced VX problems new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5762331 - 03/28/13 12:37 PM

Orion makes a 7.5# that is a smaller diameter than the 11# CW. I use it for my SV70 on my CG-5s.

Stan

http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Mount-Tripod-Accessories/Orion-Counte...

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Advanced VX problems new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5762380 - 03/28/13 01:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did see the Orion one before, but I was not sure of the hole size on that one. The AVX has a 3/4" shaft. Not sure that is the same as the CG5.

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
      #5762443 - 03/28/13 01:51 PM

Somewhere in the very long AVX Thread I'm fairly certain someone confirmed that the shaft size was the same and the Orion weight worked fine. -Tim

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I did see the Orion one before, but I was not sure of the hole size on that one. The AVX has a 3/4" shaft. Not sure that is the same as the CG5.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Advanced VX problems new [Re: zawijava]
      #5762515 - 03/28/13 02:36 PM

Jeff,

The AVX, CG-5 and CGEM (STD) all use a 3/4 shaft.

Stan

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Advanced VX problems new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5762552 - 03/28/13 03:03 PM

Thanks for confirming that Stan and Zawi. I don't know why manufactures of counterweights don't always publish detail specs. Instead they say this weight is built for such and such mounts. I think they would sell a lot more weights if they published the specs: bore size, diameter, and thickness.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

#5818611 - 04/23/13 08:43 PM

Received a shipping notice today. Expected delivery Monday the 29th. So pretty close to a month (doorstep to doorstep) for them to turn that around. It was in their possession for 23 days, 17 business days. Not that I wouldn't have loved to have it the last 30 days, but the weather in the midwest has been terrible so I don't feel too bad. Gave me time to spend more money without being able to use it...I upgraded the focuser on my C6R and pickup a ES14 100 degree.

Clear skies,
Jim

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

#5832107 - 04/30/13 12:01 PM

Replacement mount arrived yesterday. Looks like it's a new mount and not my origional, though I didn't have it long enough to put any scrapes on it. Transparency was terrible so it only got setup in my living room. The hand controller seemed to come with better setting out of the box than origional one I ordered. The NetRemote + has a few different brightness settings. The original handset was almost unusable the first time at night. The LCD was too dim and the scroll speed was too fast, so I couldn't even make out what it was asking me to do.

Current conditions don't look great tonight as far as seeing, but it might be good enough for me to try to pull in Jupiter and Saturn tonight. Looking forward to trying out the refractor for a 2nd time just as much as I'm looking forward to trying out the mount again.

Jim

Tony Peperone

Reged: 03/11/10

#5971224 - 07/14/13 09:36 PM

Hello Jim,

A few days ago I received my Celestron VX mount and SkyQ.
They communicated for a couple of days but didn't point the scope to the correct position. Then, today the SkyQ wouldn't connect or crashed. I tried the hand controller, but after it initialled displaying a lite blank screen, pressing Enter or any other combinations of keys did nothing. I had an identical handset from a C6-RGT mount. It did the same thing - initialize, then no responce. Your post will help when I report my problem.
Assuming you received yor replacement mount, is it working as t should?

Thanks, Tony

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Advanced VX problems new [Re: Tony Peperone]
      #5971359 - 07/14/13 10:46 PM

Not sure it's 3/4" - as far as I know these are 20mm (have had a GP and a CGEM), and 3/4" is 19mm. So it's conceivable that a 3/4" hole weight would not fit on the CW shaft..

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Advanced VX problems new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5971529 - 07/15/13 12:53 AM

The size on the CGEM comes from the old Vixen weight arms. And it is 20mm. You can get a 20mm bolt and take it with you to check weight holes.

-Rich

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3528

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics