Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: beammeup]
      #5770060 - 04/01/13 01:57 AM

I Really Like Celestron Stuff , But they need to stay ahead of the New Software game , We paid about $450.00 Bucks for a camera some years ago , It's still like New but can't download the Smart-M Card ,No PC has it any more , I have to find a SM Card reader to plug in my PC , Things go out of date to quick , I guess it's all about the $$$

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MarshallCrenshaw

Reged: 03/18/13

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: Megabusa]
      #5771479 - 04/01/13 07:06 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

That's why you have to get a USB to serial port adapter so you convert one of your USB ports to a serial port to plug the cable for your scope into. I use Tripp-Lite Keyspan USA-19HS. It is a little more expensive but has a neat little program Keyspan Serial Assistant that lets you test the connection and configure the com port. (recommende by Uncle Rod)

MarshallCrenshaw

Can't run NexRemote CGEM - SOLVED ***** new [Re: rmollise]
      #5771528 - 04/01/13 07:33 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Kudos to Uncle Ron - I went to the Yahoo Group NexRemote as he suggested. Nobody had posted for a while so I wasn't hopeful, but I thought why not. Quickly posted a copy of my request (family waiting in car to go out to eat!)

I got the solution today from Ray St. Denis who knows Windows.

The error message is a Windows message that the program NexRemote is trying to run a component that is either missing or not registered for use with NexRemote (nothing to do with the license key you have to type in for NexRemote).

He also pointed out where to find the files Celestron said were in the windows/system32 folder - for Win 7 they are in the C:\Windows\SysWow64 folder (never noticed this strange folder before, thought WOW was World of Warcraft!). That's where the offending files were -
C:\Windows\SysWow64\vComm2.dll
C:\Windows\SysWow64\vSPort.dll

Now the problem is not that the files aren't there, it's that they aren't registered with Win 7 for use (whatever that means). So you have to use regsvr32 on each.

I opened up a command window with start button, run, cmd.exe.
Then I typed: C:\Windows\SysWow64\REGSVR32 C:\Windows\SysWow64\VCOMM2.DLL
Windows responded with a little pop up window saying
"RegSvr32 - DllRegisterServer in c:\windows\syswow64\vcomm2.dll succeeded"

Next type C:\Windows\SysWow64\REGSVR32 C:\Windows\SysWow64\VSPORT.DLL
Windows responds
"RegSvr32 - DllRegisterServer in c:\windows\syswow64\vsport.dll succeeded"

Then I run NexRemote and it works - get the window with a message from Celestron, ok, then the Hand control comes up! Off to the scope.....

By the way, I registered vcomm2.dll and then tried to run NexRemote. I got the message from Celestron window, but when I ok'd it, a White Ghost of a hand control came up that you couldn't do anything with - couldn't close it, didn't show up on the task bar. In Task Manager it doesn't even show up as an Application that is running. Have to go to Processes and find NexRemote.exe *32 and whip a little End Process on it to stop it. So anyone getting the white ghost remote might want to look into registering vSPort.dll (stands for Virtual Serial Port ActiveX Control from Eltima Software).

MarshallCrenshaw

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: beammeup]
      #5771548 - 04/01/13 07:41 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

This is the white Ghost Remote when VSport.dll is not registered

MarshallCrenshaw

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: MarshallCrenshaw]
      #5771598 - 04/01/13 08:02 PM

I just have to post the reply I got from Celestron technical support - I emailed them Saturday outlining my problem.

The good news - the program is free.
The bad news - I guess they no longer provide any support.

Celestron Support

Posted On: Apr 01 2013 04:38 PM
Hello Marshall,
Thank you for contacting Celestron Technical Services. Sorry to hear about the issue. Please make sure that you uninstall any version of Nexremote from your computer before installing the software from the website as this is now a free software and no longer requires a license. Make sure that you reboot your system before and after you unistall and install the software.

Thank you,

Tyler

Celestron Technical Services

Thanks a lot Tyler

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
38 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1596

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics