Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Gregk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5857398 - 05/13/13 12:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well Maybe this an an opportunity for me to get an LX80 for my pier that will be finished in a few weeks.

I need this mount for AP and my payload with be no more than 20lbs

Greg,

The pier will solve the possible tripodroblem but I don't believe anyone has posted any good pictures yet. Very sorry to the photographer if I'm wrong. From what I've seen, a CG5 would be a better choice for about $400 less or the AVX for $200 less.

Mike

I guess I'll stick with my current Sirius Mount from Orion. Although was entertaining the G-11 but will see how well
the Pier/Sirius combo will do

Thanks

Greg

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5858489 - 05/13/13 08:27 PM Attachment (36 downloads)

Here is my LX80 stand-in while Meade has my mount for repairs...

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5858673 - 05/13/13 09:47 PM

I don't own an LX-80. And I'm not a Meade fanboy even though I own a few Meade telescopes. And I'm not anti-Meade either even though I own scopes sold by others. I hope I have stated my "neutral" bona-fides effectively.

That said, to the OP, go for it. If there's something not right with a product, the manufacturer/importer needs to know about it.

I don't regard this as vendor-bashing. I regard it as owner feedback in a form that's difficult to ignore.

This is a real service, both to Meade and to the public.

UND_astrophysics
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5859112 - 05/14/13 03:01 AM

I gave up on Meade when my brand new DSI III died after 2 weeks and they refused to warranty it because they discontinued it. I didn't bother writing letters, I just stopped buying their products. That's not bashing, that is problem solving.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: UND_astrophysics]
      #5872199 - 05/19/13 06:46 PM

I'm not sure what effect the Meade buyout has on the letter I want to send. What do you all think? Send it ASAP or wait for the dust to settle after the ownership change?

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
      #5872232 - 05/19/13 07:02 PM

My personal 2 cents...
I think under the circumstances, the letter should be scraped.

After the merger settles (and that could be awhile....) then try and start a verbal dialogue, referencing this thread. You could then see where the winds blow.

With the merger "in proces".... no major decisions (such as a policy decision on the LX-80) are going to be made. At least, I don't think so...

mdowns
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Englewood,FL
      #5872251 - 05/19/13 07:16 PM

Hi Mike,
I've lost touch for awhile and yikes! Looks like your spending alot of time and frustration in telescope never never land.As I've caught up on your issues with the lx80 I keep shaking my head. I know you had high hopes to be imaging now. I might suggest that you send your letter now and again after the takeover is complete.As for weight my friend,do as I did. Get an astrogizmo 365 and leave the mount outside permantly. My cg11 has been outside now for almost 8 months with zero problems. Its been a real life saver as far as my back is concerned.Good luck with your concern. I'll keep checking in to read of your progress.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5872266 - 05/19/13 07:27 PM

Quote:

My personal 2 cents...
I think under the circumstances, the letter should be scraped.

After the merger settles (and that could be awhile....) then try and start a verbal dialogue, referencing this thread. You could then see where the winds blow.

With the merger "in proces".... no major decisions (such as a policy decision on the LX-80) are going to be made. At least, I don't think so...

David,

I think I agree with you. new management will be the ones that offer any type of resolution to the LX80 problems. I do wish life issues hadn't prevented sending it earlier but with the merger in the offing it would probably not have gotten any attention anyway.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: mdowns]
      #5872285 - 05/19/13 07:36 PM

Quote:

Hi Mike,
I've lost touch for awhile and yikes! Looks like your spending alot of time and frustration in telescope never never land.As I've caught up on your issues with the lx80 I keep shaking my head. I know you had high hopes to be imaging now. I might suggest that you send your letter now and again after the takeover is complete.As for weight my friend,do as I did. Get an astrogizmo 365 and leave the mount outside permantly. My cg11 has been outside now for almost 8 months with zero problems. Its been a real life saver as far as my back is concerned.Good luck with your concern. I'll keep checking in to read of your progress.

Michael,

With my LX80 off for repairs, I decided to "fix" the weight and AP issues by buying a second mount. I'm selling a few things to fund the purchase of an iOptron ZEQ25. Even an old man like me should be able to schlep that around without trouble. I've though about a cover and still may give that a try.

I do still like the LX80. Other than AP issues, the 2 problems I've had with the mount were, at least in part, user error. Meade has been good about resolving problems. That said, I still don't have a mount to use for 4 to 6 weeks so I need something anyway.

Sounds like your setup is working out well for you. That's great!

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
      #5872292 - 05/19/13 07:37 PM

I don't know, Mike. I say send it twice, now and after the dust settles. Maybe the new owners will want to get some good PR for Meade for a change and help us out. I've got my couple of paragraph's composed, let me know if you still want them.

Edited by JimMo (05/19/13 07:46 PM)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: JimMo]
      #5872344 - 05/19/13 08:01 PM

JimMo,

I guess it won't hurt the cause to send the letter twice. Go ahead and send me your paragraphs via PM or email at mike@dom2.com. Anyone else want to jump in at this time can sent their comments also. I'll try to get the request out to the other participants in the next day or 2 and go from there.

I was glad to hear about the merger/buyout. Maybe the new owners will want to make the most out of the LX80.

Edited by Mkofski (05/19/13 08:02 PM)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5872462 - 05/19/13 08:54 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

One plus for the LX80 that has been overlooked... The packing for the tripod will hold 3 bottles of Corona securely. This may work with other brands but I can't verify that at this point.

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

#5872736 - 05/19/13 10:45 PM

About all the whole shabang is good for. As for the letter, if you have not sent it by now forgetaboutit.

SkipW
sage

Reged: 02/03/11

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
      #5874554 - 05/20/13 08:07 PM

Quote:

One plus for the LX80 that has been overlooked... The packing for the tripod will hold 3 bottles of Corona securely. This may work with other brands but I can't verify that at this point.

This sounds like a great subject for a research project!

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: SkipW]
      #5874600 - 05/20/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This sounds like a great subject for a research project!

I'll be trying other brands as soon as I get the mount back from Meade.

UND_astrophysics
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

#5875567 - 05/21/13 11:12 AM

Quote:

highertheflyer
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/08/05

Loc: Ft. Worth, Texas
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: UND_astrophysics]
      #5878097 - 05/22/13 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hardy Har Haaaaaar.
My NEW XL80 works perfectly now.
Not trying to hang 40 pounds for EQ photos or over tightening tripod legs.
So, with no complaints, thank you Meade,
Jim

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: highertheflyer]
      #5878865 - 05/22/13 06:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hardy Har Haaaaaar.
My NEW XL80 works perfectly now.
Not trying to hang 40 pounds for EQ photos or over tightening tripod legs.
So, with no complaints, thank you Meade,
Jim

What was changed/fixed? I really love the idea of the LX80 and would buy one in the future if they really did get it squared away.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5879522 - 05/23/13 02:13 AM

Why not buy the EQ6 Alt Az which is similar and by all accounts works as it should.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5880142 - 05/23/13 12:26 PM

I like audiostar for outreach. I'll buy an lx80 next year once they have the fixes rolling and bugs worked out. I'll hang on to my avx for grab and go photography

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7154

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics