Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Dwight56

Reged: 04/17/10

Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: Neil27]
      #5795989 - 04/13/13 06:23 AM

Astro-Physics encourages you to call them with a problem with their equipment. With AP even if the equipment is 20 years old plus they will work with you. I can't believe Software bisque does not have a customer sevice number and having to pay for parts and shipping is wrong.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: Dwight56]
      #5796136 - 04/13/13 08:32 AM

Quote:

Astro-Physics encourages you to call them with a problem with their equipment. With AP even if the equipment is 20 years old plus they will work with you. I can't believe Software bisque does not have a customer sevice number and having to pay for parts and shipping is wrong.

Yeah, not being able to even speak with a tech support person is beyond the pale, particularly for such an expensive product. Support forums are slow and cumbersome, sometimes taking days to accomplish what could be done in a five minute phone conversation. Makes me appreciate Astro-Physics' superb tech support.

CharlesW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: Paul G]
      #5796281 - 04/13/13 10:00 AM

This is their policy concerning warranty replacement of the control board.

MKS 5000 Warranty Replacement Policy

Once Software Bisque has determined that a replacement is necessary, and the Paramount MX is still under warranty, then you are eligible to receive a replacement MKS 5000 board.

A $300.00 deposit is required to order a warranty replacement electronic board. 
The failed MKS 5000 must be returned to Software Bisque. 
When Software Bisque receives the failed electronics, your account will be credited the amount of the deposit.
Shipping and handling charges are applicable on warranty and non-warranty electronics replacements.

It goes on with more nitty-gritty, and again they remind you that you are footing the shipping bill. Oh, and and far as "determining if a replacement is needed," I haven't heard word one from them since Thursday.

Psyire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/07

Loc: 55* North
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: CharlesW]
      #5796357 - 04/13/13 10:36 AM

While maybe not the 'best' warranty policy in the industry, it's certainly not the worst. You could be required to ship the whole mount back to them and wait an undetermined amount of time to receive it back. While it's extremely unfortunate what has happened here it does seem to be a 'one off' incident and I'm sure SB will take care of you when all is said and done. I'm don't think you can use this one incident as a measuring stick for their entire support program, as there are many happy SB customers. If it were me though I would have phone support too just to keep incidents like this out of the public spotlight. Too put it in perspective,, I've seen much worse situations with companies selling $50k+ vehicles.. That's not an excuse but I'm sure the OP will have a fully functional, great, life time mount up and running with in a couple weeks. If not, I'll kindly eat these words...

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: Psyire]
      #5796640 - 04/13/13 01:30 PM

Or, they could take on the task of actually supporting a customer with one of their very expensive mounts bad-out-of-the-box . That's just my opinion, though, and you know what they say about those.

Edited by rmollise (04/13/13 01:30 PM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: rmollise]
      #5796668 - 04/13/13 01:46 PM

I am absolutely floored by this.

Mr. Bisque himself attended ASAE last year. I expect if you come visit tucson in November, you may have the chance to talk to someone from SB where they can't duck out.

-Rich

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5796686 - 04/13/13 02:02 PM

Quote:

I am absolutely floored by this.

Mr. Bisque himself attended ASAE last year. I expect if you come visit tucson in November, you may have the chance to talk to someone from SB where they can't duck out.

-Rich

Let me add that, as always, we are only hearing one side of the story. I certainly have no reason to disbelieve the OP, though.

As far as this support policy? If this is indeed how it is, it is appropriate for a 300 dollar computer program; not appropriate for a 10K and very complex mount.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: rmollise]
      #5796706 - 04/13/13 02:23 PM

OPT should make it right. At least back when Mike Mower (if my memory is not flawed) managed the place l, that's how it was.

Sounds like Bill Dean wants to make it right. How long have you had the mount?

Jon

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
      #5796749 - 04/13/13 02:50 PM

This policy of pay, RMA exchange and credit is not that unusual. For equipment in this price range though, no telephone tech support is amazing... AP does a grand job of supporting their customers and perhaps the quality and reliability of the equipment means that the amount of phone support is minimal, don't know ... but you'd think SB would at least have a call back policy?

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5796758 - 04/13/13 02:55 PM

Quote:

OPT should make it right. At least back when Mike Mower (if my memory is not flawed) managed the place l, that's how it was.

It was "Mike Fowler," and Craig Weatherwax was the owner then as he still is.

CharlesW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5797201 - 04/13/13 05:23 PM

Bill Dean from OPT came to my house this morning and assisted me in resolving the issue with my control board. I won't say what we did but the "mount" works despite the fact that I had three screws bouncing around inside my board tray like a Pachinko game. Unfortunately, the mount was not the only casualty. It looks like my hand control took a gut shot with all that uncontrolled current flying around.

I finally did receive emails from Steve and Sarah Bisque yesterday afternoon. Hate to sound like a whiner but here is the problem with that, I'm expecting to see responses in the support forum and they sent emails. I frankly didn't check that email account until this morning.

I will say that despite their codified return policy, OPT has gone overboard in assisting me in this. I do want to love my mount, and I want to believe SB is a good company to deal with, but starting with, "We don't talk to owners," didn't sit well with me.

And finally, between my mount, Bill's MX, and one on the OPT salesroom floor, all three had loose control board screws.

Bill Dean

Reged: 09/05/05

Loc: Encinitas, CA
      #5797245 - 04/13/13 05:56 PM

Dang Charles, didn't even think to check that. Drop me a line and I can possibly swing down tomorrow with a hand controller.

Clear skies,

Bill

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: Bill Dean]
      #5797392 - 04/13/13 07:45 PM

For all I've admired about this mount - IMO the 'loose screws' aren't just in the mounts! something i worry about web forum support is 'argument of the club' logic - and who do you listen to. these mounts with loose screws not returning to SB means they are unaware of whatever step is goofed up in the assy and QA - "sheesh". They wont see any of my money anytime soon. If Yuri at TEC, Al Nagler at TV, and sometimes Roland at A-P but always someone quite knowledgeable there - SB is the one off, not your mount problem. Companies are 'top down' in general when it comes to support and being 'customer friendly', the problem here is at the top of SB. They don't have the time or interest then frankly neither do I now...

Thank you so much for bringing this to light as I was unaware of this policy.

Hope things get 'squared away' soone and hats off to OPT for going the extra mile(s)!

Red Shift

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5797514 - 04/13/13 09:33 PM

Not that I am in the market for their products right now,
but I think that this illustrates that this company does not care to stand behind their product.

I won't be even looking into their product, period.

Dwight56

Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: Red Shift]
      #5797621 - 04/13/13 10:47 PM

Well it looks like its one good mark for OPT all the more reason to support OPT. Software Bisque on the otherhand had better straighten up there act. They cannot continue to do business this way. They most certainly need someone to man the phone who is very knowledgeble about there products. Astro-Physics will bend all different way's to support the end user. I'm shocked to learn the software bisque is not this way.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5797791 - 04/14/13 02:00 AM

Quote:

This is their policy concerning warranty replacement of the control board.

your account will be credited the amount of the deposit.

Is that your CC account or your Bisque account? Sounds like they get your $300 either way.. I wonder.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: Red Shift]
      #5798064 - 04/14/13 10:26 AM

Quote:

Not that I am in the market for their products right now,
but I think that this illustrates that this company does not care to stand behind their product.

I won't be even looking into their product, period.

Please keep us informed on the outcome of this. I'm appalled that a high end mount would come with screws bouncing around inside and also found on other mounts. That speaks volumes on QC at SB. To not have customer support availible is strike two.
I've also been researching a new mount and have a spreadsheet holding all info to date. I just added a pointer to this thread next to the SB column.
I hope OPT is REAMING SB on this issue. Vendor have a lot more weight with suppliers than end users.
You have more patiencd than me, I'd have returned the whole shebang to OPT by now. I know it's not their fault but why should you be holding the bag here?

Dwight56

Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: mich_al]
      #5798133 - 04/14/13 11:33 AM

Looks like there is going to be a new AP 1100 mount in my future. Thanks Software Bisque

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
Re: An utterly disappointing experience new [Re: Dwight56]
      #5798168 - 04/14/13 11:52 AM

I know someone who received a brand new PMX with scratches on the fork/body and was returned for replacement.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: An utterly disappointing experience [Re: Dwight56]
      #5798174 - 04/14/13 11:54 AM

That's the thing at AP- they have one guy do final assembly, hook it up to the master encoder, then watch it run and make sure it meets all specifications before crating it up to ship out.

But if anything does come up, they're ready to help. In fact, when I asked southern stars (another responsive company) to fix a Sync call in their mount control with Rcal, AP, helped southern stars with support to make sure it would be future compatible with APCC and a checkout when I told them what was going on. Everyone was happy.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (04/14/13 11:55 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5735

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics