Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Lurch

Reged: 04/09/12

Loc: Central Pa.
Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences new [Re: TMSP]
      #5870257 - 05/18/13 09:16 PM

Yes, Johnpd, I saw many of the Pyramids and i'm thinkin 5-10 amps, but I want the ones that have the Cigarette Lighter Adapter, so it fits the Skywatcher screw on power plug nicely, but everyone that I looked at is a "Linear" power supply. Skywatcher manual recommends a "Switching" type power supply and I'm not sure what the consequences are. All of the Switching supplies that I saw have only the wire nut connectors, so it makes me wonder if a "Switching" supply can't support a cigarette Lighter Adaptor for a connection. Must have looked at 30 of them. I know little of electronics.

Will also check out the MFJ.

Johnpd, are you using the Pyramid with the CL Adapter?

No, all of my Dealer contact was via email where he mentioned the dovetail bars and later that he was mistaken. He's sending some free ones, so ok by me.
BTW the Pyramid link points to an article about a Merger between Meade and some other company.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences new [Re: Lurch]
      #5870294 - 05/18/13 09:28 PM

Quote:

Skywatcher manual recommends a "Switching" type power supply and I'm not sure what the consequences are.

Either will work, though the switcher will offer lower noise and higher efficiency. The big difference is that the switcher is much safer if the device powered is expensive and/or delicate (telescope mounts are generally both). The most common failure mode for a linear supply results in 20 volts or more at the output. Any failure in a switcher results in low or no voltage output rather than too much. No big deal if you are powering a spotlight - but your mount may be worth more. I know mine is; I use only switchers.

LTE

Reged: 12/15/12

Loc: Scotland
Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences new [Re: johnpd]
      #5874028 - 05/20/13 03:42 PM

Sorry, johnpd is right: when the telescope is on the right hand side of the mount pointing North, it is of course on the East side of the mount, not West. After 35 years in the S Hemisphere and already 12 back in the North, I still sometimes get things the wrong way round!

Tom.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5874032 - 05/20/13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Skywatcher manual recommends a "Switching" type power supply and I'm not sure what the consequences are.

Either will work, though the switcher will offer lower noise and higher efficiency. The big difference is that the switcher is much safer if the device powered is expensive and/or delicate (telescope mounts are generally both). The most common failure mode for a linear supply results in 20 volts or more at the output. Any failure in a switcher results in low or no voltage output rather than too much. No big deal if you are powering a spotlight - but your mount may be worth more. I know mine is; I use only switchers.

Well, sorta. A switching power supply can do a good job, and doesn't need a big transformer, but switching power supplies are notoriously noisy. Those were NOT real birdies I heard on my buddy's Icom in his shack where he uses a Chinese switching power supply.

Linear power supplies are still quieter and more reliable, which is why my shack has a big ol' Astron 35 amp job in it.

Lurch

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences new [Re: rmollise]
      #5875969 - 05/21/13 01:44 PM

I'm getting very disappointed with the Skywatcher Support, right off the bat. I seem to have to send 2 emails to get an answer. The first email draws some nonsensical response. Then a second email, gets me an answer. I hope this isn't a sin of things to come.

Lurch

#5880063 - 05/23/13 11:47 AM

As for power supplies, I looked all over and found the
MFJ-4128 Switching Power Supply, 13.8 Volt, 28amp with connectors and a 7 Amp Cigarette Lighter Adapter. It had everything I wanted. $80.00 plus $11.00 shipping.

Lurch

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences new [Re: LTE]
      #5888612 - 05/28/13 10:01 AM

My dovetails are still not due to arrive until later this week and I was determined to use this mount over Memorial Day weekend. So I spent most of the day making my own dovetail(for another thread). Set the mount up Saturday night, turn on the power, SynScan Handset lights up, with a Blank, red screen and that's it, nothing else. Apparently this is a common problem with these, dating back to at least 2008.

I did the diagnosis with the Test Plugs and get the COMM2 ERROR, so apparently it's just the RJ-45 Port, but still means a new handset and another 2 weeks of waiting.

So, I'm thinking without the Handset, this thing may be a Lawn Ornament. There must be a way to use this direct from a PC. So I checked out the articles about EQMOD and it looks like EQMOD can control the mount without the Handset, using one of the EQdirct adaptors.
I have an email in to Skywatcher asking if they are compatible, so the warranty isn't voided.

Lurch

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences new [Re: LTE]
      #5888614 - 05/28/13 10:02 AM

As for Power Supply;
Here's the response from Skywatcher;

There is no problem to use a linear power supply. We recommend a switching power just because it is more energy efficient and it weighs much less.

Lurch

#5904655 - 06/05/13 08:16 PM

I'm having a problem with alignment using EQMOD, using Stellarium for indoor testing.
I'm starting off with home at AZ=0 , Alt=0, Scope on the right, pointing north, switches and mount ports on south side, locking knobs on the dovetails upright. The bubble level is on the south side also.

I pick a star from Stellarium, directly behind me(south), hit ctl-1 and scope turns around appears to be pointing the opposite direction and pointing down or upside down.

I have to be setting something wrong.

Iv'e read about deactivating encoders and re-orientating Az axis 180 deg.

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

#5905371 - 06/06/13 07:45 AM

Lurch,

1. Does it work when you use the hand controller and not EQMOD?
2. Is there an Az/Eq option in EQMOD when you start it up so it knows which method to use?

JohnD

Lurch

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences new [Re: johnpd]
      #5905621 - 06/06/13 10:12 AM

Hi John,

My Handset was sent to Skywatcher for repair / replacement 3 days after I got it, so I just don't know about that.

I don't see any kind of option on the EQMOD GUI about an AZ/EQ option, although I just started using it.

I'll see if I can post some screenshots of EQMOD

There is an AZ/EQ option in Stellarium and as far as I can tell it's set to AZ. But, whenever I start Stellarium, the telescope indicator is always pointing at Polaris, whether in AZ or EQ mode

rmollise
Postmaster

#5905628 - 06/06/13 10:18 AM

AFAIK, EQMOD will _only_ work with the mount in EQ mode.

Lurch

#5905663 - 06/06/13 10:33 AM

Ahh, Ok, that explains a lot. Hence the name "EQ Mod".

Well, I'm guessing I won't get a Handset for about a month.
So is there some other program to drive this thing in Alt-Az Mode?

I'm guessing that Stellarium won't drive it by itself.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5905720 - 06/06/13 10:53 AM

No. Stellarium must work with either the HC or EQMOD. You can talk to Chris about EQMOD and the alt-az mode on the EQMOD Yahoogroup...he may be in the process of enabling that in EQMOD. But the quick solution for now to allow you to use your mount is put it in EQ mode.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#5905749 - 06/06/13 11:02 AM

Sky Safari
SKY FI

drives the mount in altaz

If this helps

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences new [Re: HowardK]
      #5905860 - 06/06/13 12:14 PM

Quote:

Sky Safari
SKY FI

drives the mount in altaz

If this helps

Not if it's not connected to the HC, it doesn't.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#5905944 - 06/06/13 01:00 PM

True, Unc

Lurch

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences [Re: HowardK]
      #5906800 - 06/06/13 08:20 PM

Dang, Is there any Astronomy program that will run this mount without EQMOD and without a Hand Controller?

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences [Re: Lurch]
      #5907447 - 06/07/13 08:11 AM

Quote:

Dang, Is there any Astronomy program that will run this mount without EQMOD and without a Hand Controller?

Nope. Only EQMOD. Which will work with your mount in EQ mode.

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Experiences [Re: rmollise]
      #5907456 - 06/07/13 08:17 AM

Has anyone had any issues with GoTo of objects near the zenith? I had my Mallincam Xtreme hooked up to my C-8 and I was wandering around the sky (in AZ Mode). When I tried objects near the zenith, I was off. Anywhere else it was fine.

JohnD

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9870

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics