Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5882806 - 05/24/13 05:59 PM

Mike,

My hat's off to you for hanging in there and pushing for the right things to happen.

Bravo to the whole crew of folks who came together to document the LX80's performance and technical capabilities; getting a meaningful resolution will be because of this effort.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
highertheflyer
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/08/05

Loc: Aledo, Texas
Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5883247 - 05/24/13 10:57 PM

As one that has gone through 5 months of phone exchanges with Meade and troubles with the LX80, in spite of their new takeover, I believe in Meade's desire to make customers happy and those working for them, China, Mexico and San Diego, I do wish them well.
I am happy with the LX80 now, so hats off and time will tell.
My regards,
Jim

dksolar3294

Reged: 08/22/12

Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: highertheflyer]
      #5892254 - 05/30/13 12:00 PM

Of all the LX80 owners, I'm guessing only a small fraction monitor CN and this thread in particular. Therefore, it's likely the majority of LX80 owners are completely unaware of Meade's forthcoming management changes and a possible fix for the LX80. In fairness to all LX80 owners, it would seem proper for Meade to issue an LX80 recall notice and contact all owners who submitted the LX80 product registration form. Those early customers who in good faith pre-ordered an LX80 in Yr2011 and took delivery in Summer 2012 are rapidly approaching the end of their 1 yr warranty period. Therefore, it would further seem proper for Meade to issue the recall notice this summer before their 1 yr period expires, or at least, waive the warranty period for those first deliveries until the fix is implemented.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: dksolar3294]
      #5892492 - 05/30/13 01:46 PM

I called Meade yesterday as I didn't remember if I registered my mount. CS said your sales receipt is all you need for warranty work and they don't do warranty registration.. So, how could Meade contact us? I also asked if he knew anything about Meade addressing the mounts problems and it was like he had heard it for the first time. He could have been new, I guess, and not privy to any of that info.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: dksolar3294]
      #5892739 - 05/30/13 03:37 PM

Quote:

Of all the LX80 owners, I'm guessing only a small fraction monitor CN and this thread in particular. Therefore, it's likely the majority of LX80 owners are completely unaware of Meade's forthcoming management changes and a possible fix for the LX80. In fairness to all LX80 owners, it would seem proper for Meade to issue an LX80 recall notice and contact all owners who submitted the LX80 product registration form. Those early customers who in good faith pre-ordered an LX80 in Yr2011 and took delivery in Summer 2012 are rapidly approaching the end of their 1 yr warranty period. Therefore, it would further seem proper for Meade to issue the recall notice this summer before their 1 yr period expires, or at least, waive the warranty period for those first deliveries until the fix is implemented.

From what I've been told, how the current users will be taken care of hasn't been decided. It will probably be another 4 weeks or so before anything official is announced. Though I don't have any firm commitment from anyone yet, the impression I get is that something will be done and there are redesigns of several aspects of the LX80 that are currently underway... I think we just need to hang in there a little longer.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: JimMo]
      #5892749 - 05/30/13 03:41 PM

Jim,

Not surprised that Carlos didn't know or couldn't discuss anything relating to changes/improvements in the works for the LX80. We won't see anything official for a few weeks.

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: JimMo]
      #5893113 - 05/30/13 07:40 PM

Quote:

I called Meade yesterday as I didn't remember if I registered my mount. CS said your sales receipt is all you need for warranty work and they don't do warranty registration....

Hmmm... I have a copy of my LX80 Product Registration that I mailed to Meade. The Registration Card came included with the mount's Owner's Manual.

shadowpdiggity

Reged: 07/23/12

Loc: new haven, indiana
      #5896704 - 06/01/13 08:19 PM

OK, this will probably make me look really dumb, but I have a lx80 and still can't get the firmware update to work for me. I have resorted to just using my lx80 for observing and really enjoy it. My question would be, does anyone know how I can find someone I can go to to get assistance with my issues. I say my issues for a reason, because I probably jumped to far ahead of my ability to figure the computer hook up part of this hobby. I know, doesn't seem to totally fit with this thread, but thought maybe it couldn't hurt to say something. Glad Meade is stepping up to take care of there issues because I have only owned Meade products and really like what I have seen so far. Want to expand my knowledge of this hobby, but don't know where to go next.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: shadowpdiggity]
      #5896875 - 06/01/13 10:15 PM

Quote:

OK, this will probably make me look really dumb, but I have a lx80 and still can't get the firmware update to work for me. I have resorted to just using my lx80 for observing and really enjoy it. My question would be, does anyone know how I can find someone I can go to to get assistance with my issues. I say my issues for a reason, because I probably jumped to far ahead of my ability to figure the computer hook up part of this hobby. I know, doesn't seem to totally fit with this thread, but thought maybe it couldn't hurt to say something. Glad Meade is stepping up to take care of there issues because I have only owned Meade products and really like what I have seen so far. Want to expand my knowledge of this hobby, but don't know where to go next.

Did you have trouble while trying to update the HC firmware? I had a problem while trying the update... The message was "don't turn off" but after a few hours, the mount/HC went dark. I talked to Meade customer support and they sent me a new HC. I think my firmware is up to date but am dreading the next update. Call Meade!

By the way, doesn't sound stupid to me!

ldesign1
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/09

Loc: Northern Illinois
Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: shadowpdiggity]
      #5897121 - 06/02/13 12:48 AM

Quote:

Download StarPatch v1.9

http://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

I've heard that that Meade's Autostar Download Utility v6 has issues with the Audiostar hand controller. It seem to dowload the firmware for the regular Autostar.

With StarPatch, you will be able to upload Meade's latest version (BuildAUA3S4) much faster. Or you can download their patched version which fixes some bugs as well as added features (PatchAUA3S4v01).

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: ldesign1]
      #5897206 - 06/02/13 01:56 AM

Gday Shadow

Quote:

Download StarPatch v1.9

Agree 100%
Far faster and safer.

Quote:

I've heard that that Meade's Autostar Download Utility v6 has issues with the Audiostar hand controller.

Meades ASU should do the firmware OK, its main failure is in doing tours etc on the 497EP and Audiostars.

That said, still use StarPatch for the firmware.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5906221 - 06/06/13 02:59 PM

I received an email yesterday and it looks like it will be another 3 weeks or so before we know what will be done to improve the LX80.

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5906527 - 06/06/13 05:55 PM

Nice they responded and here's hoping they look after the pioneers of this mount. After 3 mounts, I believe I now have one that works. Don't want to be over optimistic...

Axle

Reged: 04/19/12

Loc: Lake Powell
Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: DuiA1]
      #5912901 - 06/10/13 11:57 AM

I have one that works well also. But, the springy RA slop bothers me and I am hoping that issue will be addressed with the improvements. But, it seems like that may be a significant fix considering it might require a new worm drive assmebly. If they do make that improvement I hope the new worm assemblies can be installed by the user without needing to ship the mount head. If there is a new-style worm assembly maybe it will have brass drive gears too!

Rob P.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: Axle]
      #5913551 - 06/10/13 04:38 PM

I received my repaired mount back today from Meade. It came in about 2 weeks earlier than I had expected. Looks good on preliminary test. Hopefully I'll get some clear skies soon but that looks a bit iffy.

Mike

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5913743 - 06/10/13 06:32 PM

Just received an email and it looks as modifications to the LX80 won't be announced until late July. There is still a general commitment to making the mount better and the commitment comes from a reliable source... no details yet.

dksolar3294

Reged: 08/22/12

#5915149 - 06/11/13 02:20 PM

That is really close to the expiration of the 1yr warranty period for those who took delivery first!!!

gmartin02
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
      #5915580 - 06/11/13 06:05 PM

This all assumes that Meade will actually make it through the acquisition process by Jinghua.

From the Meade 10-K filing on May 30th:

"The Company's board of directors decided in January 2013 that the Company should consider its strategic alternatives to preserve and maximize shareholder value, which ultimately culminated in the signing on May 17, 2013 of the Agreement and Plan of Merger which, subject to shareholder approval, would allow for the outstanding shares of the Company to be purchased for $3.45 per share or approximately $4.5 million.

Due to the Company's declining revenues, recurring losses, limited liquidity and weakened financial position, the Company may not be able to operate long enough execute that planned transaction. Net sales during the three months ending May 31, 2013 are expected to be approximately $3 million, substantially below the net sales of approximately $3.8 million during the three months ended February 28, 2013 and net sales of approximately $4.2 million during the three months ended May 31, 2012. Due to the lower net sales levels the Company is encountering, the Company expects to incur substantial losses during the period through the close of the transaction.

In addition, the Company has limited and decreasing working capital and is finding it increasingly difficult to operate normally. The Company's net debt, which consists of the net balance owed on the Company's credit facility less cash, was $92 thousand at February 28, 2013 compared to $371 thousand at April 30, 2013.

In addition, as is common with public company transactions, a number of law firms are investigating the recently announced merger transaction and may choose to file a lawsuit against the Company in an effort to obtain financial dispensation from the Company. Such actions, or other factors, could cause further delays in the close of the planned transaction and/or result in additional costs. If such events occur, the Company may not have sufficient working capital to operate through the close of the planned transaction. If the Company is not able to obtain additional capital, it may be unable to execute the planned transaction and the Company may then have to file bankruptcy and cease operations."

Hopefully Meade can come up with some cash from somewhere to continue operations through the acquisition process - otherwise, it would really suck if they end up going bankrupt

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 problems to be addressed new [Re: gmartin02]
      #5915723 - 06/11/13 07:40 PM

I'm an optimist... won't have to wait long to find out how it's going to play out.

highertheflyer
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/08/05

Loc: Aledo, Texas
      #5916013 - 06/11/13 10:41 PM

I've the early ETXt60 EC the ETX 90 and the ETX 125, and for years nothing of a problem.
Yet I've worked with Meade as the LX80 I purchased for Christmas 2012 to flounder with my LX80 opening some days later.
Months have passed, yet troubles sent to Meade San Diego have given me hope for their return and for others, and a hope for everyone's satisfactions.
So wishing Meade well and survivig in our lifetime, I wish them to demonstrate their best, now for us.
Please keep this posting open for Carlos at Meade, and all, a safe return.
Sincerely,
Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2984

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics