Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: New to me Mach 1! new [Re: RAKing]
      #5893751 - 05/31/13 08:04 AM

Quote:

My Mach 1 celebrated its 4th birthday a few weeks ago and it's still the best investment I ever made in astronomy.

Yeah, I'd say Ron has that just about right. I think our mounts must be from the same litter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FaronD
sage

Reged: 03/25/10

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Re: New to me Mach 1! new [Re: bigj]
      #5895616 - 06/01/13 08:13 AM

Quote:

I think AP is a good mount but technology is old, look at the controller its dated about 20 years

The AP HC is excellent! The actual AP HC is rugged, handles extreme low temps well, and has nice 4 line vacumn-fluorescent display. You must be referring to the software? Sure, it lacks some of the bells and whistles of the newer mounts. Actually, it only lacks in software for Polar Alignment. This is a nonissue since the new RAPAS arrived. The alignment now literally takes 2 minutes. Modelling, I don't need it with my setup. Simply Recal on a star and it's set to go.

I'm willing to bet most AP mount owners are imagers. The AP software works extremely well in that regard. The meridian delay is fanatastic! My Mach 1 is the easiest mount ever to operate, no muss no fuss.

Faron

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: New to me Mach 1! new [Re: FaronD]
      #5895709 - 06/01/13 09:46 AM

I re-trained the PEM on my Mach1 a few days ago. Mine is a 2009 model with the precision alt-az adapter, but I bought it used from the first owner.

This data is about 3 worm cycles for the fundamental, and after PEM. The only wrinkle is, data was captured with a finder-guider, so the pixel scale is very poor.

Raw PE (about 5" p-p) - according to Ray only the fundamental, 1st, and 2nd harmonics exist and can be corrected, so only those are checked:

After one round of PEM and two rounds of PEM refinement:

I used to get a better figure (0.42" p-p) but the above is what I'm getting now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1591

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics