Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
pjensen

Reged: 04/08/12

Loc: Highland Village, Tx
Re: Advanced VX errors new [Re: frito]
      #5904874 - 06/05/13 10:30 PM

Quote:

on the celestron hand controls i'm not certain but i believe when you start them into programming mode you are using a bootloader to do so and even if a flash went wrong you should still be able to get back into programming mode to start over from the top again. the reason i suspect this is because when i was updating my CG-5's HC firmware i had the netbook i was using to do it with set to go to sleep after 10 min. (fresh XP install, its the default setting) i was sitting right in front of the thing watching it and all of a sudden the screen goes blank and i knew right away what had happened and tried to wake it to stop it but it was too late. programming froze at the hand controller, i got back into windows, the celestron software was locked up. i killed the process and started over from the top no harm done, the hand control's software started over from the beginning and all was well. now i never lost power or turned off the mount, for fear it would not be able to get back into programming mode because i was unsure. the software recovered from the situation fine however so it appears they have proper safety's in place at least on the V4 hand control's

It is important to separate a software timeout (windows laptop going to sleep) and a low voltage event during chip programming. Chips have a specific required voltages and pulse widths to program successfully. With incorrect voltages, the chip addressing may go wild - causing an overwrite of the boot loader. With your software timeout, the boot loader was not overwritten - the process simply stopped part way through. So when you restarted it, it was able to rewrite those addresses.

That is my guess...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: Advanced VX errors new [Re: pjensen]
      #5904935 - 06/05/13 10:57 PM

yeah i'm not saying its a good idea to loose power during a program but its possible that you could get back into the bootloader to reprogram it, provided celestron was smart and kept the bootloader separate from the rest of the software on them.

either way i'm sure they just send him out a new HC because to them, the manufacture they are cheap and its the best hassle free way to keep a customer with a new mount happy.

Holltim4103

Reged: 02/25/13

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY
      #5907768 - 06/07/13 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the information and tips. The new hand controller arrives next Thursday according to UPS tracking. I have high doubts that it is the hand controller though. I think it is something to do with the motor control board. I was able to update the hand controller successfully and it goes to the alignment options but I get the no response 17 and no response 16. I can go through the menu and make selections however I have no motor control. I also tried updating the motor control board and I get an error that it can not locate the mount. It is driving me crazy having the mount sitting inside on all these clear nights. I did have two spectacular nights with it outside and now it is just a tease. I just wish Celestron would send me a new replacement mount to get me going quicker.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Advanced VX errors new [Re: Holltim4103]
      #5907803 - 06/07/13 11:48 AM

I was getting a lot of 16 and 17 errors with my CG-5 until I recrimped the cable ends. Haven't had one since. (Knocking on wood.)

frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: Advanced VX errors new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5907834 - 06/07/13 12:07 PM

those errors are both communication with RA and DEC errors. could be the hand control but its probably the motor control or one of the connections between all these things.

bayleyjordan

Reged: 04/09/13

#5908023 - 06/07/13 02:03 PM

Yeah that was definitely NOT my experience. My HC quit working entirely and have had no problems with the new one. Sadly it sounds like your problem might be with the mount itself. I would start with checking the connectors on the end of the HC and the DEC cord. Good luck.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5908024 - 06/07/13 02:04 PM

I know what the errors mean, frito. I was just passing along how I solved them in my own mount (albeit a different mount) in hopes that might help someone else someday.

Holltim4103

#5908082 - 06/07/13 02:40 PM

I checked the wire connections and to me they look good. They are nice and tight solid connections and there isn't any play. I just emailed Celestron Support to see if they would be willing to send me a new mount and I will send them back my old mount so I can be up and running quicker.

Holltim4103

#5908093 - 06/07/13 02:46 PM

I really appreciate ALL the advise, help and tips from everyone on here.

Holltim4103

#5919301 - 06/13/13 06:32 PM

Great news! Today, I got the new hand controller, plugged it in and all seems back to normal. I have motor control and the HC reads Advanced VX. I did a mock two star alignment in my living room. I can't wait to get it back out on the next clear night. With all the boot logger errors and no response errors, I really thought it was the mount. I am relieved though now since I don't have to send the mount back to Celestron.

Cow Jazz
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
      #5921038 - 06/14/13 06:20 PM

I was speaking with a guy from Celestron a couple of weeks ago about the AVX, and he did mention that some people are plugging the DEC motor cable into one of the AUX ports instead of the correct DEC port, and this can (and does) take out the DEC motor circuit. So be sure you are plugged in correctly. I'm waiting for the new 5A AC supply for my AVX, as well as a new guide camera so I can take the AP plunge over the cliff. :-) Wish me luck.

ETXuser

Reged: 03/02/10

Re: Advanced VX errors new [Re: Cow Jazz]
      #5921297 - 06/14/13 09:34 PM

It may be a good idea for Celestron to make the DEC cable plug in hole a smaller size to the AUX holes just so the people who like to put square pegs in round holes get the right hole for the DEC cable.
Although I wouldn't put money on it.

186vett

Reged: 01/29/13

#5921512 - 06/15/13 12:00 AM

Bought the Starizona Power Pack 2+ for my VX mount, & all is well.
Many hours of trouble free viewing without a hitch.
Wish You the Best! Jerry

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1738

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics