Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Jesus Munoz
sage

Reged: 03/09/07

Loc: Querétaro, México
Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: Stew57]
      #5919652 - 06/13/13 10:11 PM

Great mount and amazing PE numbers!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tandum
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
      #5919671 - 06/13/13 10:21 PM

Quote:

Yes thanks. I did see PEC off in the above pic. Thought maybe PEC on the mount itself was on. I have not used PEMPro yet. Quite impressive PE. You should enjoy that mount!

Ahh ok, no the mount is brand new, nothing in the handset plus it was on pc-direct to get eqmod to run. I have only just put it in the dome and polar aligned. PemPro can take that data and plug it into eqmod for pec correction, but I haven't got that far yet

[edit]
Turned on correction in eqmod tonight and it's now showing 2.18 peak to peak in corrected mode.

Edited by Tandum (06/14/13 08:43 AM)

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: Tandum]
      #5920922 - 06/14/13 04:58 PM

if this mount has that kind of PE consistently across the production, then IMHO, this is a complete game changer.

Wife and I bought new telescopes last fall, for our 'his and hers' kit ultimately headed into an observatory we hope to build over the next year. We just moved to an area with skies much darker than we had before, and are now shopping for a new home just outside of town, which will put us in a blue area on the LP map. We have a 12 inch RC and a TOA-130 destined to go in the observatory. With that kind of performance from a mount listed on the skywatcher site as MAP $3,799, I will buy two of them for the observatory.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: groz]
      #5920976 - 06/14/13 05:29 PM

Wow, that is pretty impressive!

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: WesC]
      #5920991 - 06/14/13 05:44 PM

Thinking about this a bit more. The mount has permanent pec, and you got one of the first ones. I cant help but wonder, if that one has already been set up for testing, and had pec trained into it before you got it ?

If so, that would explain the great results you have. If not, and that is truely uncorrected data, then I'm awfully glad I'm not in the mount manufacturing business today. I've been thinking the EQ8 will be a great value proposition if it's PE is on par with that of the EQ6. With PE on par with the much higher end stuff, and load capacity north of a hundred pounds (50kg = 110 pounds) then it just became 'the bar' in terms of mount value proposition, and it's a bar that's going to be very hard to beat.

Tandum
sage

Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: groz]
      #5921057 - 06/14/13 06:41 PM

Not sure how they would do that when I have the handset in pc-direct mode. In that mode the handset does nothing but repeat what is coming from the aux serial port.
Or I'm driving pempro wrong? But all you need is teeth on the gear and image scale and I know them.

Also when I added a curve to eqmod's pec routine, it halved the pe I previously measured.
Didn't look right to me in the first instance for a skywatcher mount, but I can't see a problem with how I'm measuring it.

lafo0100

Reged: 05/05/13

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
      #5921314 - 06/14/13 09:41 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that low of a pe rating is on par with the ap's and sb's of this world right?

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: lafo0100]
      #5921372 - 06/14/13 10:19 PM

If this is representative of the standard quality this mount achieves it will put a big dent in a lot of other mount sales.

lafo0100

#5921498 - 06/14/13 11:50 PM

It may. The issue right now is skywatcher has none exept what was shipped to Australia and New Zealand. The timeline for my delivery is now end of August in eastern Canada. Looks like a great product but terrible role out on skywatchers part.

gavinm
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/26/05

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
      #5921582 - 06/15/13 01:18 AM

Another minor issue (and which is stopping me buy one tomorrow) is that you can't buy it without the tripod...

Jesus Munoz
sage

Reged: 03/09/07

Loc: Querétaro, México
Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: gavinm]
      #5921592 - 06/15/13 01:37 AM

Quote:

Another minor issue (and which is stopping me buy one tomorrow) is that you can't buy it without the tripod...

I agree, but Celestron CGE Pro without tripod still is more expensive than EQ8 with tripod ($4499). Anyway, I'm planning to place an order.

Neil27

Reged: 12/15/08

Loc: Lincoln, England
Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: Jesus Munoz]
      #5921738 - 06/15/13 05:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, but Celestron CGE Pro without tripod still is more expensive than EQ8 with tripod ($4499). Anyway, I'm planning to place an order.

Hi Gavin,

Yes you can in the UK, with tripod or without tripod, I'm happy!..

lafo0100

Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: Neil27]
      #5922348 - 06/15/13 02:01 PM

Neil27, Just out of curiosity....whats the price difference between the two?

rob288

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: South Canterbury, New Zealand
      #5922677 - 06/15/13 06:39 PM

In all fairness, Australia and New Zealand are often the last areas to receive new gear when its rolled out, this time the fortunes have been reversed. From what I have been told there was fifty or so went to Australia, there is only a handful coming to NZ, I am sure the initial run would have been more than that, so somewhere on the planet there is a container with a lot more due to land.

Edited by rob288 (06/15/13 06:41 PM)

gavinm
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/26/05

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: rob288]
      #5923166 - 06/16/13 02:23 AM

Don't get me wrong. We're really lucky and the price looks really good (although the exchange rate keeps doing silly things..)

I just wish Skywatcher would sell the head by itself in NZ or Aus - I'm sure they will pretty soon, but I'd love to be an early adopter for once, take a risk with new technology etc etc etc.. patience I guess

Good luck to the rest of you who purchase one - can't wait for results...

Edited by gavinm (06/16/13 05:40 AM)

Neil27

Reged: 12/15/08

Loc: Lincoln, England
      #5923218 - 06/16/13 04:25 AM

Quote:

Neil27, Just out of curiosity....whats the price difference between the two?

£2595 for the mount only and £3390 for mount and tripod, so quite a substantial difference if you wish to mount in an observatory only - which i do...
ETA for the UK we are being told is September / October, probably the latter knowing roll out of previous skywatcher products.

Tandum
sage

Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: Neil27]
      #5925260 - 06/17/13 11:12 AM

I had a look at pointing with out a model. I used to own a tak mount and it could go from a SE sync to a NW star and put it bang center. It would take 10 minutes to get there but it could do it every time.

My eq6 would sometimes get lost after a flip, it was hopeless.

This one came close. The star was outside the cameras FOV, and an 11000 sensor has a huge FOV, but a pinpoint and sync showed it was really close. It solved instantly and I was on target straight away, no model.

Next I'll add a sky model and see what we get.

All up it's looking good.

Tandum
sage

#5925266 - 06/17/13 11:16 AM

Power is an issue however. I normally run everything off 12v coming from the PC. I added a socket to get 12v out. I had to put the eq8 on it's own power source or I had issues.

groz
Carpal Tunnel

#5925629 - 06/17/13 02:08 PM

Quote:

I had a look at pointing with out a model. I used to own a tak mount and it could go from a SE sync to a NW star and put it bang center. It would take 10 minutes to get there but it could do it every time.

My eq6 would sometimes get lost after a flip, it was hopeless.

This one came close. The star was outside the cameras FOV, and an 11000 sensor has a huge FOV, but a pinpoint and sync showed it was really close. It solved instantly and I was on target straight away, no model.

Is this done using eqmod, or the supplied controller ?

If you are comparing using eqmod, it's not really a valid comparison of 'what was supplied'. I'm actually quite interested in how well it runs 'out of the box', ie, do a 3 star align, then wander around the sky seeing how close the goto accuracy is, using the supplied electronics.

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
      #5926115 - 06/17/13 06:41 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

Great reporting so far, thanks for sharing the info on your mount. I have been wondering how the EQ-8 compares to the EQ-6 size-wise. I currently have an EQ-6 Pro/Atlas in my observatory and am interested in upgrading to the EQ-8 when it becomes available over here in North America. Specifically, I am wondering how much taller the EQ-8 is from base to highest point in park compared to the EQ-6? Just kind of curious to see how much I would have to modify my current pier and rat cage. Thanks again!

Clear Skies,
Brian

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4421

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics