Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
EQ 8 Release
      #5943431 - 06/27/13 04:59 PM

http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/02_mounts/02_detail.php?sid=66
Just thought I'd share folks...
Thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: mark379]
      #5944657 - 06/28/13 11:45 AM

I hope this one hits stateside soon.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Zamboni]
      #5944724 - 06/28/13 12:37 PM

It sure looks like a metric-ton of mount for the money!

end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: budman1961]
      #5944764 - 06/28/13 01:06 PM

It seems like the Celestron CGE-PRO, Losmandy Titan and Meade LX850 mounts are all going to have a difficult time with this new mid-range mount entry. Both the feature set and price appear to be better than its direct competition. The main issue will be if they actually deliver a consistent, quality product that meets their specifications.

I'm really looking forward to hearing reports from more people who have had hands-on with this mount!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: end]
      #5944801 - 06/28/13 01:29 PM

"The patented Freedom Find (dual-encoder) technolgy allows the telescope to be moved manually whenever the user wishes - but with no need for re-alignment!"

Yes, the mount, tripod, counterweights, and counterweight Rod only weigh 170lbs (weight of scopew not included)! Easy to move manually?????? Who do they hire to write up these things........

Coastal
sage

Reged: 04/23/09

Loc: Vancouver island, Canada
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5944839 - 06/28/13 01:49 PM

Quote:

"The patented Freedom Find (dual-encoder) technolgy allows the telescope to be moved manually whenever the user wishes - but with no need for re-alignment!"

Yes, the mount, tripod, counterweights, and counterweight Rod only weigh 170lbs (weight of scopew not included)! Easy to move manually?????? Who do they hire to write up these things........

I think you're missing the point of the dual encoders. In theory if you discover that your telescope is not balanced properly and you already have a pointing model established, you can unlock both axis, balance, and not have to worry about losing position. No lifting of the mount required!

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: mark379]
      #5944936 - 06/28/13 02:48 PM

My comment deals only with cosmetics...too bad this new mount is black. I love the look of their white mounts.

I ordered a HEQ5 Pro from Canada just so I could have the white paint job rather than the Orion Sirius.

Best,

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Coastal]
      #5944938 - 06/28/13 02:49 PM

There's a BIG difference between "balancing" and "Moving" a scope..........

Coastal
sage

#5944945 - 06/28/13 02:52 PM

Quote:

There's a BIG difference between "balancing" and "Moving" a scope..........

I guess we can agree to disagree then. When I balance my telescope, I end up moving the ota. And in this regard the claim is 100% accurate. Now if they had said you can easily move the mount/telescope then it might be a 'lost in the translation' moment. I should have my EQ8 next month so I'll put their words to the test!

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
      #5944959 - 06/28/13 03:02 PM

Are you meaning "moving" as in physically picking up the scope and relocating it? Because they meant it as in manually slewing the scope to aim without losing the mount's alignment. That shouldn't be at all difficult on a well balanced mount. That counts as "moving." I guess they're just counting on people being educated enough to understand a word that means different things depending on the context.

Early reports from Australia are comparing the uncorrected periodic error to AP1200 mounts. If those reports are accurate, this mount is one heck of a game changer.

Edited by Zamboni (06/28/13 03:06 PM)

Coastal
sage

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Zamboni]
      #5944985 - 06/28/13 03:12 PM

There appears to be a lot of confusion with the word move, and how it relates in this context. What Skywatcher is saying is possible (thanks to dual encoders) is being to move/reposition/your word of choice the mount with the clutches released without losing the position internally. If they weren't released you'd just be slewing it, and the first encoder would be aware of the repositioning. I mentioned balancing as that is something you commonly do with the clutches released. Technically you should have this taken care of before you establish a pointing model, but if you make a big equipment change (swap out cameras or perhaps use one of those boat anchor eyepieces) you won't have to do any alignment again. Whether it works that well is to be seen.

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/09

Loc: Sand Springs Okla.
      #5945010 - 06/28/13 03:22 PM

Very interesting. VERY interesting.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Tim Gilliland]
      #5945063 - 06/28/13 03:43 PM

"With the patented Freedom Find (dual-encoder) technology which allows the telescope to be moved manually or electronically in either axis without losing its alignment or positional information. After moving to a new object the telescope will automatically begin to track the new object accurately. No re-setup is required in one observing session."

Whoops, I stand corrected. But all this tells me is they've manageed to basically take Orion XTi/XTg abilities and put it on an EQ mount. While this is nice to have (and I'd love to have one), its hardly new tech. NOW, give me an EQ Mount I can plop down anywhere and have it automatically polar align (maybe writeable firmware where it uses GPS to ID where you're currently at and the current mount/tripod position in relation to "North (or South)" AND no two/three star alignment....THEN we'll have something to jump up and down about......

Nice mount, I'm not knocking the mount, its really really good for its intended purpose. And having the ability to maintain the RA/DEC coordinates is a good thing, but at that price it should wash dishes, fix the car, take out the trash, and cook too.........

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: end]
      #5945078 - 06/28/13 03:49 PM

Quote:

It seems like the Celestron CGE-PRO, Losmandy Titan and Meade LX850 mounts are all going to have a difficult time

I would assume Synta will hype and position the EQ-8 in such a way as to not harm CGE Pro sales if they can help it, since they make the CGE Pro as well...

rmollise
Postmaster

#5945081 - 06/28/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

The total weight of the mount has little to do with how easy it is to move on its axes.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5945085 - 06/28/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

at that price it should wash dishes, fix the car, take out the trash, and cook too.........

I assume you haven't priced mounts with similar payload capacity recently.

telfish
sage

Reged: 11/17/10

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: rmollise]
      #5945105 - 06/28/13 04:03 PM

Anyone know which Canadian dealers are selling these?

Coastal
sage

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: telfish]
      #5945114 - 06/28/13 04:08 PM

Mine is coming from Vancouver Telescope Centre...

Coastal
sage

Re: EQ 8 Release [Re: csrlice12]
      #5945168 - 06/28/13 04:47 PM

Quote:

"With the patented Freedom Find (dual-encoder) technology which allows the telescope to be moved manually or electronically in either axis without losing its alignment or positional information. After moving to a new object the telescope will automatically begin to track the new object accurately. No re-setup is required in one observing session."

Whoops, I stand corrected. But all this tells me is they've manageed to basically take Orion XTi/XTg abilities and put it on an EQ mount. While this is nice to have (and I'd love to have one), its hardly new tech. NOW, give me an EQ Mount I can plop down anywhere and have it automatically polar align (maybe writeable firmware where it uses GPS to ID where you're currently at and the current mount/tripod position in relation to "North (or South)" AND no two/three star alignment....THEN we'll have something to jump up and down about......

Nice mount, I'm not knocking the mount, its really really good for its intended purpose. And having the ability to maintain the RA/DEC coordinates is a good thing, but at that price it should wash dishes, fix the car, take out the trash, and cook too.........

I have a feeling that for a lot of people who are interested in the EQ8 the dual encoders really isn't a selling feature. I'm interested in a mount with a larger payload capacity that has low PE without significant deviations. Permanent PEC isn't a selling feature for me either although as smooth deviations can easily be guided out. I think the total package however has features that appeal to a lot of users (some may want dual encoders, other PPEC, etc). The price is reasonable too, and if they offer it without the tripod even better. Within the next month or two we'll see how this works out. Interesting competition for the CGE-Pro indeed!

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: EQ 8 Release [Re: Coastal]
      #5945224 - 06/28/13 05:16 PM

Looks like the mount I am looking for in a price range I can afford. I don't know how it will not hurt the CGE Pro. It seems to be a better mount at a better price.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
33 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9896

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics