Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: rmollise]
      #5945290 - 06/28/13 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It seems like the Celestron CGE-PRO, Losmandy Titan and Meade LX850 mounts are all going to have a difficult time

I would assume Synta will hype and position the EQ-8 in such a way as to not harm CGE Pro sales if they can help it, since they make the CGE Pro as well...

When I first heard about the EQ8 mount my reaction was that it seemed likely that in due course there will be a Celestron branded version of this. Maybe a CGE-PRO2 or something like that. It doesn't seem too far fetched to think that something along these lines will come to pass. Replacing the CGE-PRO with a Celestron branded EQ8 would be one way to avoid them competing against themselves.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: end]
      #5945314 - 06/28/13 06:09 PM

That would make sense.

lafo0100

Reged: 05/05/13

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Coastal]
      #5945393 - 06/28/13 07:03 PM

Mine's coming in from Focus Scientific in Ottawa.

John_Gillies
Vendor - Earthwin Optical

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: telfish]
      #5945414 - 06/28/13 07:17 PM

KW Telescope in Kitchener Ontario

telfish
sage

Reged: 11/17/10

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: John_Gillies]
      #5945524 - 06/28/13 08:21 PM

Most of the Canadian dealers seem to be selling with the tripod, any that are selling just the head anyone know?

lafo0100

Reged: 05/05/13

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: telfish]
      #5945548 - 06/28/13 08:41 PM

John, any word when KW will be getting their first shipment?

John_Gillies
Vendor - Earthwin Optical

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: lafo0100]
      #5945562 - 06/28/13 08:51 PM

I haven't asked, but then....I'm not looking to buy one. KW displayed it along with the Skywatcher Rep at the Astro Cats astronomy trade show. I'm sure if you sent them an email and asked, they would have a pretty good idea.

BTW...the mount looks awesome!

John O'Grady

Reged: 11/15/09

Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: lafo0100]
      #5945589 - 06/28/13 09:06 PM

Last word from KW - August. Of course that could always change. They had a unit on display up until last week. I believe it was the one they had at AstroCATS. I assume they had it on load. It wasn't there this past Saturday, so I assume they had to return it.

I don't have a permanent setup and really didn't pay attention when the conversation on selling the mounts without the tripod came up but the fact that it did come up in conversation suggests to me that was an option.

John O'Grady

Reged: 11/15/09

Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: John O'Grady]
      #5945676 - 06/28/13 09:56 PM

I'm surprised that others aren't more enthusiastic about the dual encoder option. In my opinion, the dual encoder option is practically the number one selling feature of this mount. Ok, the price, PE and load capacity do trump the feature but its a close runner up on my list.
I'd kill for dual encoders on my CGEM because I've had one too many instances where I've tried to adjust something that was firmly locked down only to have the clutch slip.

No matter how careful I try to be, it sometimes happens. On the rare occasion that it happens, I find switching from imaging train to visual train for re-alignment and back to imaging train is a real PITA and often isn't worth it at 1-2AM in the morning. Trying to image without the mount properly aligned is equally useless if the clutch slipped significantly. Sometimes I can continue imaging. Other times its no good and I cut the session short. It happens to me maybe twice a year and that's one to two times too often for my liking. From what I understand of dual encoders... problem solved. In fact, I wouldn't have to worry about losing alignment and would therefore be confortable loosening the clutch in the first place, before making any adjustments. Which would be better for the mount, as this would also avoid accidentally straining the gears.

I'm sure there's a method for loosening the clutchens and restoring alignment on the CGEM. This is actually one of the next items on my list of things look into further. But honestly, I would prefer to avoid learning another procedure, especially one I would only need only once or twice a year. I think others would agree that there's enough details in this hobby that its nice when a vendor offers a simpler solution. Like the Baader click-lock accessories (love the SCT visual back).

I suppose that I could also solve the problem by investing in a StarSense AutoAlign camera. Tough decision, I'm not really ready for a new mount. I guess I'll stick with my plan and look into what the CGEM currently has to offer in the way of a solution.

Cheers

Coastal
sage

Reged: 04/23/09

Loc: Vancouver island, Canada
      #5945725 - 06/28/13 10:25 PM

John,
I'm not too hung up on the dual encoders as I plan on using it with EQMOD minus the hand controller. Most of the new features will likely require the controller so they won't be available to me. That said with plate solving (Astrotortilla) I don't even care about my pointing model. Since I have my mount on a pier I've had the time to hone my polar alignment. My OTA does have a bit of cone error, but again I could randomly spin my telescope around, and Astrotortilla (at my focal length of 540mm) will blindly solve the location in under a minute, often in 10 seconds or less.

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
      #5945927 - 06/29/13 02:15 AM

Too date, every Australian EQ8 buyer has been very positive about this new mount, with only a few relatively minor nitpicks and quibbles.

This looks to be a real winner, and an excellent addition to Sky-Watcher's EQ range. Once Orion get them (assuming they do) it's likely to become very popular in the USA as well.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: end]
      #5945992 - 06/29/13 04:35 AM

Quote:

When I first heard about the EQ8 mount my reaction was that it seemed likely that in due course there will be a Celestron branded version of this. Maybe a CGE-PRO2 or something like that. It doesn't seem too far fetched to think that something along these lines will come to pass. Replacing the CGE-PRO with a Celestron branded EQ8 would be one way to avoid them competing against themselves.

It is my guess that the EQ-8 will replace the CGE-Pro in a year, two at the most.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Tandum
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5946600 - 06/29/13 01:32 PM

http://www.automation-drive.com/c20-astrograph

Is that the new CGE-Pro???

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Tandum]
      #5946711 - 06/29/13 02:51 PM

No. Those are old pictures, I believe, of the DK before the Planewave spinoff.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: rmollise]
      #5946878 - 06/29/13 04:47 PM

Quote:

Those are old pictures, I believe, of the DK before the Planewave spinoff.

Yes. That's the mount Celestron displayed as a CGE Pro back when they were a announcing the upcoming CDK. A prototype went around the trade show rounds but never made it into production. It was far larger than the EQ-8 or current CGE Pro.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5946881 - 06/29/13 04:51 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised that others aren't more enthusiastic about the dual encoder option. In my opinion, the dual encoder option is practically the number one selling feature of this mount.

It seems to be a desirable feature. Doesn't seem to have much of a market, though. Losmandy offered it as a moderately-priced option with the Gemini for many years but apparently it didn't sell. I never saw one so equipped and it was dropped from the line a few years ago.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5946923 - 06/29/13 05:18 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised that others aren't more enthusiastic about the dual encoder option. In my opinion, the dual encoder option is practically the number one selling feature of this mount.

If it works well, it can be a fun and pleasant feature. It was one of the things I loved about the Celestron Ultima 2000 way back when.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5947448 - 06/30/13 01:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It seems to be a desirable feature. Doesn't seem to have much of a market, though. Losmandy offered it as a moderately-priced option with the Gemini for many years but apparently it didn't sell. I never saw one so equipped and it was dropped from the line a few years ago.

I would say that the demand would definitely go up now that more and more people are into imaging. With the small sized CCD sensors, loosing positional information is more frustrating that it would be with visual where all you need to do is pop in your Panoptic 35 to find a nearby bright star after centering it on your Telrad and then syncronising the position.

For the person who said they used astrotortila to find where they are pointed with ease, I'd like them to try doing the same thing with 1600 mm or greater. A blind plate solve doesnt work so well at longer focal lengths.

Coastal
sage

Reged: 04/23/09

Loc: Vancouver island, Canada
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5948455 - 06/30/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would say that the demand would definitely go up now that more and more people are into imaging. With the small sized CCD sensors, loosing positional information is more frustrating that it would be with visual where all you need to do is pop in your Panoptic 35 to find a nearby bright star after centering it on your Telrad and then syncronising the position.

For the person who said they used astrotortila to find where they are pointed with ease, I'd like them to try doing the same thing with 1600 mm or greater. A blind plate solve doesnt work so well at longer focal lengths.

In addition to my EdgeHD 9.25 I also have an AT8RC that I've played around with at its native focal length. If I provide enough information to astrometry.net (the engine Astrotorilla uses) I can solve pretty quickly at 1600 as well. The default settings for Astrotortilla aren't ideal. The web based astrometry.net server can blind solve really small fields of view quickly, but it caches the entire fits database in memory. I'm slowly porting astrometry.net to windows so a native 64 bit program could use more available memory. That said, if the 64bit Cygwin project keeps going that is another good option. Anyway I'm not knocking the dual encoder feature, but it likely will not be available unless you're using the hand controller.

Edited by Coastal (06/30/13 06:21 PM)

scopefreak
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/14/04

Loc: Mayslick KY
      #5949766 - 07/01/13 02:10 PM

Does anyone think this mount will be better than the CGE? Just wondering because the price that I have found for the EQ8 is just a tad below the CGE. Makes me wonder if it will be worth trying out a new product as opposed to a tried and reliable mount like the CGE. I can't do anything at present as my bank account is hitting the "E" mark.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9822

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics