Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
EQ 8 Release
      #5943431 - 06/27/13 04:59 PM

http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/02_mounts/02_detail.php?sid=66
Just thought I'd share folks...
Thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: mark379]
      #5944657 - 06/28/13 11:45 AM

I hope this one hits stateside soon.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Zamboni]
      #5944724 - 06/28/13 12:37 PM

It sure looks like a metric-ton of mount for the money!

end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: budman1961]
      #5944764 - 06/28/13 01:06 PM

It seems like the Celestron CGE-PRO, Losmandy Titan and Meade LX850 mounts are all going to have a difficult time with this new mid-range mount entry. Both the feature set and price appear to be better than its direct competition. The main issue will be if they actually deliver a consistent, quality product that meets their specifications.

I'm really looking forward to hearing reports from more people who have had hands-on with this mount!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: end]
      #5944801 - 06/28/13 01:29 PM

"The patented Freedom Find (dual-encoder) technolgy allows the telescope to be moved manually whenever the user wishes - but with no need for re-alignment!"

Yes, the mount, tripod, counterweights, and counterweight Rod only weigh 170lbs (weight of scopew not included)! Easy to move manually?????? Who do they hire to write up these things........

Coastal
sage

Reged: 04/23/09

Loc: Vancouver island, Canada
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5944839 - 06/28/13 01:49 PM

Quote:

"The patented Freedom Find (dual-encoder) technolgy allows the telescope to be moved manually whenever the user wishes - but with no need for re-alignment!"

Yes, the mount, tripod, counterweights, and counterweight Rod only weigh 170lbs (weight of scopew not included)! Easy to move manually?????? Who do they hire to write up these things........

I think you're missing the point of the dual encoders. In theory if you discover that your telescope is not balanced properly and you already have a pointing model established, you can unlock both axis, balance, and not have to worry about losing position. No lifting of the mount required!

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: mark379]
      #5944936 - 06/28/13 02:48 PM

My comment deals only with cosmetics...too bad this new mount is black. I love the look of their white mounts.

I ordered a HEQ5 Pro from Canada just so I could have the white paint job rather than the Orion Sirius.

Best,

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Coastal]
      #5944938 - 06/28/13 02:49 PM

There's a BIG difference between "balancing" and "Moving" a scope..........

Coastal
sage

#5944945 - 06/28/13 02:52 PM

Quote:

There's a BIG difference between "balancing" and "Moving" a scope..........

I guess we can agree to disagree then. When I balance my telescope, I end up moving the ota. And in this regard the claim is 100% accurate. Now if they had said you can easily move the mount/telescope then it might be a 'lost in the translation' moment. I should have my EQ8 next month so I'll put their words to the test!

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

#5944959 - 06/28/13 03:02 PM

Are you meaning "moving" as in physically picking up the scope and relocating it? Because they meant it as in manually slewing the scope to aim without losing the mount's alignment. That shouldn't be at all difficult on a well balanced mount. That counts as "moving." I guess they're just counting on people being educated enough to understand a word that means different things depending on the context.

Early reports from Australia are comparing the uncorrected periodic error to AP1200 mounts. If those reports are accurate, this mount is one heck of a game changer.

Edited by Zamboni (06/28/13 03:06 PM)

Coastal
sage

#5944985 - 06/28/13 03:12 PM

There appears to be a lot of confusion with the word move, and how it relates in this context. What Skywatcher is saying is possible (thanks to dual encoders) is being to move/reposition/your word of choice the mount with the clutches released without losing the position internally. If they weren't released you'd just be slewing it, and the first encoder would be aware of the repositioning. I mentioned balancing as that is something you commonly do with the clutches released. Technically you should have this taken care of before you establish a pointing model, but if you make a big equipment change (swap out cameras or perhaps use one of those boat anchor eyepieces) you won't have to do any alignment again. Whether it works that well is to be seen.

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/09

Loc: Sand Springs Okla.
      #5945010 - 06/28/13 03:22 PM

Very interesting. VERY interesting.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Tim Gilliland]
      #5945063 - 06/28/13 03:43 PM

"With the patented Freedom Find (dual-encoder) technology which allows the telescope to be moved manually or electronically in either axis without losing its alignment or positional information. After moving to a new object the telescope will automatically begin to track the new object accurately. No re-setup is required in one observing session."

Whoops, I stand corrected. But all this tells me is they've manageed to basically take Orion XTi/XTg abilities and put it on an EQ mount. While this is nice to have (and I'd love to have one), its hardly new tech. NOW, give me an EQ Mount I can plop down anywhere and have it automatically polar align (maybe writeable firmware where it uses GPS to ID where you're currently at and the current mount/tripod position in relation to "North (or South)" AND no two/three star alignment....THEN we'll have something to jump up and down about......

Nice mount, I'm not knocking the mount, its really really good for its intended purpose. And having the ability to maintain the RA/DEC coordinates is a good thing, but at that price it should wash dishes, fix the car, take out the trash, and cook too.........

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5945078 - 06/28/13 03:49 PM

Quote:

It seems like the Celestron CGE-PRO, Losmandy Titan and Meade LX850 mounts are all going to have a difficult time

I would assume Synta will hype and position the EQ-8 in such a way as to not harm CGE Pro sales if they can help it, since they make the CGE Pro as well...

rmollise
Postmaster

#5945081 - 06/28/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

The total weight of the mount has little to do with how easy it is to move on its axes.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5945085 - 06/28/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

at that price it should wash dishes, fix the car, take out the trash, and cook too.........

I assume you haven't priced mounts with similar payload capacity recently.

telfish
sage

Reged: 11/17/10

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: rmollise]
      #5945105 - 06/28/13 04:03 PM

Anyone know which Canadian dealers are selling these?

Coastal
sage

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: telfish]
      #5945114 - 06/28/13 04:08 PM

Mine is coming from Vancouver Telescope Centre...

Coastal
sage

#5945168 - 06/28/13 04:47 PM

Quote:

"With the patented Freedom Find (dual-encoder) technology which allows the telescope to be moved manually or electronically in either axis without losing its alignment or positional information. After moving to a new object the telescope will automatically begin to track the new object accurately. No re-setup is required in one observing session."

Whoops, I stand corrected. But all this tells me is they've manageed to basically take Orion XTi/XTg abilities and put it on an EQ mount. While this is nice to have (and I'd love to have one), its hardly new tech. NOW, give me an EQ Mount I can plop down anywhere and have it automatically polar align (maybe writeable firmware where it uses GPS to ID where you're currently at and the current mount/tripod position in relation to "North (or South)" AND no two/three star alignment....THEN we'll have something to jump up and down about......

Nice mount, I'm not knocking the mount, its really really good for its intended purpose. And having the ability to maintain the RA/DEC coordinates is a good thing, but at that price it should wash dishes, fix the car, take out the trash, and cook too.........

I have a feeling that for a lot of people who are interested in the EQ8 the dual encoders really isn't a selling feature. I'm interested in a mount with a larger payload capacity that has low PE without significant deviations. Permanent PEC isn't a selling feature for me either although as smooth deviations can easily be guided out. I think the total package however has features that appeal to a lot of users (some may want dual encoders, other PPEC, etc). The price is reasonable too, and if they offer it without the tripod even better. Within the next month or two we'll see how this works out. Interesting competition for the CGE-Pro indeed!

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5945224 - 06/28/13 05:16 PM

Looks like the mount I am looking for in a price range I can afford. I don't know how it will not hurt the CGE Pro. It seems to be a better mount at a better price.

end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #5945290 - 06/28/13 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It seems like the Celestron CGE-PRO, Losmandy Titan and Meade LX850 mounts are all going to have a difficult time

I would assume Synta will hype and position the EQ-8 in such a way as to not harm CGE Pro sales if they can help it, since they make the CGE Pro as well...

When I first heard about the EQ8 mount my reaction was that it seemed likely that in due course there will be a Celestron branded version of this. Maybe a CGE-PRO2 or something like that. It doesn't seem too far fetched to think that something along these lines will come to pass. Replacing the CGE-PRO with a Celestron branded EQ8 would be one way to avoid them competing against themselves.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5945314 - 06/28/13 06:09 PM

That would make sense.

lafo0100

Reged: 05/05/13

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
      #5945393 - 06/28/13 07:03 PM

Mine's coming in from Focus Scientific in Ottawa.

John_Gillies
Vendor - Earthwin Optical

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5945414 - 06/28/13 07:17 PM

KW Telescope in Kitchener Ontario

telfish
sage

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: John_Gillies]
      #5945524 - 06/28/13 08:21 PM

Most of the Canadian dealers seem to be selling with the tripod, any that are selling just the head anyone know?

lafo0100

#5945548 - 06/28/13 08:41 PM

John, any word when KW will be getting their first shipment?

John_Gillies
Vendor - Earthwin Optical

Reged: 04/23/03

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: lafo0100]
      #5945562 - 06/28/13 08:51 PM

I haven't asked, but then....I'm not looking to buy one. KW displayed it along with the Skywatcher Rep at the Astro Cats astronomy trade show. I'm sure if you sent them an email and asked, they would have a pretty good idea.

BTW...the mount looks awesome!

John O'Grady

Reged: 11/15/09

Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN
      #5945589 - 06/28/13 09:06 PM

Last word from KW - August. Of course that could always change. They had a unit on display up until last week. I believe it was the one they had at AstroCATS. I assume they had it on load. It wasn't there this past Saturday, so I assume they had to return it.

I don't have a permanent setup and really didn't pay attention when the conversation on selling the mounts without the tripod came up but the fact that it did come up in conversation suggests to me that was an option.

John O'Grady

Reged: 11/15/09

Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: John O'Grady]
      #5945676 - 06/28/13 09:56 PM

I'm surprised that others aren't more enthusiastic about the dual encoder option. In my opinion, the dual encoder option is practically the number one selling feature of this mount. Ok, the price, PE and load capacity do trump the feature but its a close runner up on my list.
I'd kill for dual encoders on my CGEM because I've had one too many instances where I've tried to adjust something that was firmly locked down only to have the clutch slip.

No matter how careful I try to be, it sometimes happens. On the rare occasion that it happens, I find switching from imaging train to visual train for re-alignment and back to imaging train is a real PITA and often isn't worth it at 1-2AM in the morning. Trying to image without the mount properly aligned is equally useless if the clutch slipped significantly. Sometimes I can continue imaging. Other times its no good and I cut the session short. It happens to me maybe twice a year and that's one to two times too often for my liking. From what I understand of dual encoders... problem solved. In fact, I wouldn't have to worry about losing alignment and would therefore be confortable loosening the clutch in the first place, before making any adjustments. Which would be better for the mount, as this would also avoid accidentally straining the gears.

I'm sure there's a method for loosening the clutchens and restoring alignment on the CGEM. This is actually one of the next items on my list of things look into further. But honestly, I would prefer to avoid learning another procedure, especially one I would only need only once or twice a year. I think others would agree that there's enough details in this hobby that its nice when a vendor offers a simpler solution. Like the Baader click-lock accessories (love the SCT visual back).

I suppose that I could also solve the problem by investing in a StarSense AutoAlign camera. Tough decision, I'm not really ready for a new mount. I guess I'll stick with my plan and look into what the CGEM currently has to offer in the way of a solution.

Cheers

Coastal
sage

#5945725 - 06/28/13 10:25 PM

John,
I'm not too hung up on the dual encoders as I plan on using it with EQMOD minus the hand controller. Most of the new features will likely require the controller so they won't be available to me. That said with plate solving (Astrotortilla) I don't even care about my pointing model. Since I have my mount on a pier I've had the time to hone my polar alignment. My OTA does have a bit of cone error, but again I could randomly spin my telescope around, and Astrotortilla (at my focal length of 540mm) will blindly solve the location in under a minute, often in 10 seconds or less.

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
      #5945927 - 06/29/13 02:15 AM

Too date, every Australian EQ8 buyer has been very positive about this new mount, with only a few relatively minor nitpicks and quibbles.

This looks to be a real winner, and an excellent addition to Sky-Watcher's EQ range. Once Orion get them (assuming they do) it's likely to become very popular in the USA as well.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5945992 - 06/29/13 04:35 AM

Quote:

When I first heard about the EQ8 mount my reaction was that it seemed likely that in due course there will be a Celestron branded version of this. Maybe a CGE-PRO2 or something like that. It doesn't seem too far fetched to think that something along these lines will come to pass. Replacing the CGE-PRO with a Celestron branded EQ8 would be one way to avoid them competing against themselves.

It is my guess that the EQ-8 will replace the CGE-Pro in a year, two at the most.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Tandum
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5946600 - 06/29/13 01:32 PM

http://www.automation-drive.com/c20-astrograph

Is that the new CGE-Pro???

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Tandum]
      #5946711 - 06/29/13 02:51 PM

No. Those are old pictures, I believe, of the DK before the Planewave spinoff.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5946878 - 06/29/13 04:47 PM

Quote:

Those are old pictures, I believe, of the DK before the Planewave spinoff.

Yes. That's the mount Celestron displayed as a CGE Pro back when they were a announcing the upcoming CDK. A prototype went around the trade show rounds but never made it into production. It was far larger than the EQ-8 or current CGE Pro.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

#5946881 - 06/29/13 04:51 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised that others aren't more enthusiastic about the dual encoder option. In my opinion, the dual encoder option is practically the number one selling feature of this mount.

It seems to be a desirable feature. Doesn't seem to have much of a market, though. Losmandy offered it as a moderately-priced option with the Gemini for many years but apparently it didn't sell. I never saw one so equipped and it was dropped from the line a few years ago.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5946923 - 06/29/13 05:18 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised that others aren't more enthusiastic about the dual encoder option. In my opinion, the dual encoder option is practically the number one selling feature of this mount.

If it works well, it can be a fun and pleasant feature. It was one of the things I loved about the Celestron Ultima 2000 way back when.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #5947448 - 06/30/13 01:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It seems to be a desirable feature. Doesn't seem to have much of a market, though. Losmandy offered it as a moderately-priced option with the Gemini for many years but apparently it didn't sell. I never saw one so equipped and it was dropped from the line a few years ago.

I would say that the demand would definitely go up now that more and more people are into imaging. With the small sized CCD sensors, loosing positional information is more frustrating that it would be with visual where all you need to do is pop in your Panoptic 35 to find a nearby bright star after centering it on your Telrad and then syncronising the position.

For the person who said they used astrotortila to find where they are pointed with ease, I'd like them to try doing the same thing with 1600 mm or greater. A blind plate solve doesnt work so well at longer focal lengths.

Coastal
sage

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5948455 - 06/30/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would say that the demand would definitely go up now that more and more people are into imaging. With the small sized CCD sensors, loosing positional information is more frustrating that it would be with visual where all you need to do is pop in your Panoptic 35 to find a nearby bright star after centering it on your Telrad and then syncronising the position.

For the person who said they used astrotortila to find where they are pointed with ease, I'd like them to try doing the same thing with 1600 mm or greater. A blind plate solve doesnt work so well at longer focal lengths.

In addition to my EdgeHD 9.25 I also have an AT8RC that I've played around with at its native focal length. If I provide enough information to astrometry.net (the engine Astrotorilla uses) I can solve pretty quickly at 1600 as well. The default settings for Astrotortilla aren't ideal. The web based astrometry.net server can blind solve really small fields of view quickly, but it caches the entire fits database in memory. I'm slowly porting astrometry.net to windows so a native 64 bit program could use more available memory. That said, if the 64bit Cygwin project keeps going that is another good option. Anyway I'm not knocking the dual encoder feature, but it likely will not be available unless you're using the hand controller.

Edited by Coastal (06/30/13 06:21 PM)

scopefreak
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/14/04

Loc: Mayslick KY
      #5949766 - 07/01/13 02:10 PM

Does anyone think this mount will be better than the CGE? Just wondering because the price that I have found for the EQ8 is just a tad below the CGE. Makes me wonder if it will be worth trying out a new product as opposed to a tried and reliable mount like the CGE. I can't do anything at present as my bank account is hitting the "E" mark.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: scopefreak]
      #5949907 - 07/01/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

Does anyone think this mount will be better than the CGE? Just wondering because the price that I have found for the EQ8 is just a tad below the CGE. Makes me wonder if it will be worth trying out a new product as opposed to a tried and reliable mount like the CGE. I can't do anything at present as my bank account is hitting the "E" mark.

Do you mean "CGE" or "CGE Pro"? In either case, it's too soon to say which--if either--it is better than.

alpal
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Melbourne Australia.
      #5950168 - 07/01/13 06:54 PM

This mount sounds very exciting.

The dual encoders put it in a similar league to the ASA mounts.
The encoders should mean no periodic error so I don't know
why they have PEC? - a correction for periodic error.

Encoders can be troublesome if dirt gets on the optical disc.
They need to be sealed properly.
I wonder if these encoders are sealed?

The weight would be too heavy for me as I have hurt
my back sometimes even with my much smaller EQ6.
( which I modified with an astro-physics counterweight bar)

Still if those encoders really work just like the ASA mounts then this mount is a steal for the price
& would beat any CGE mount in a permanent setup.

I want to see some images taken with it using a heavy telescope - 35 Kg load for imaging is the figure I read.
That's the real test.

Actually you could put 2 telescopes on it & double your data for the same imaging time.

orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/09/10

Loc: Croatia
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: alpal]
      #5950301 - 07/01/13 08:17 PM

EQ8 encoders are nothing like ASA absolute encoders, therefore comparing performance of these two mounts does not make sense.
I'll be happy if EQ8 has nice, easy guidable PE curve, with that capacity that would be enough for me to buy it...

frozen.kryo

Reged: 01/28/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5950470 - 07/01/13 10:20 PM

Those encoders are low-resolution, 1.2 arc-minute/tick.

SW EQ8 Specs

Probably just for general pointing, and not used for tracking at all.

This mount is a performer regardless. 4 to 5" p2p PE from user reports so far.

Edited by frozen.kryo (07/01/13 10:37 PM)

alpal
Post Laureate

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: frozen.kryo]
      #5950537 - 07/01/13 11:07 PM

Quote:

Those encoders are low-resolution, 1.2 arc-minute/tick.

SW EQ8 Specs

This mount is a performer regardless. 4 to 5" p2p PE from user reports so far.

It says 0.12 arc second!

Are you saying that the encoders are not part of a dual axis closed loop control system like the ASA mounts?

frozen.kryo

#5950572 - 07/01/13 11:35 PM

I guess 0.12 arc second is the stepper motor resolution?

The "Resolution of Aux. R.A./Dec. Axis Encoders" is listed as approx. "1.2 arc minutes". Please see the end of the spec list.

Edited by frozen.kryo (07/01/13 11:43 PM)

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5950578 - 07/01/13 11:37 PM

Actually 0.12" is the resolution of the stepper motors. If this mount is like the EQ6 it uses stepper motors as encoders. It essentially counts the steps to determine the position of the mount, once it's been synced of course. My focuser motor uses the same technology.
The aux. encoders resolution is 1.2 arc minute, I'm no expert but it seems to be way to coarse to use them for PE correction, hence the need for PEC. However if the PE is so small and very smooth, any autoguider can take care of that even without PEC.
If I understand this correctly the aux. encoders are there so that the telescope can be manually moved by loosening the clutches and the mount will not loose the star alignment. The auto-home feature seems to be very nice if people are going to use the mount for remote imaging.
This mount sure looks like a steal at that price. I won't run off and get one but it looks nice.

alpal
Post Laureate

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: andysea]
      #5950592 - 07/01/13 11:51 PM

Quote:

Actually 0.12" is the resolution of the stepper motors. If this mount is like the EQ6 it uses stepper motors as encoders.

That's no good.
I thought it was like the ASA mount with separate Renishaw encoders as an optical disc on each axis.

http://www.astrosysteme.at/eng/mounts.html

Quote:

Our answer is to employ high resolution encoders mounted directly on the axes of the mount.

ASA uses Renishaw Encoders, which are verified electronically and resolve to an unbelievable 0,01-0,02 seconds of arc.

That explains why it's 1/4 the price of a DDM 85.

BPO
sage

#5950669 - 07/02/13 01:18 AM

Hi alpal.

As a big admirer of the direct drive mounts of ASA and other European manufacturers, I have to say those should not be used in any comparison with Synta's/Sky-Watcher's EQ8.

The latter is for people unwilling or unable to invest the kind of capital required to possess a DDM-85 or similar, so criticising the EQ8 for not being a super high-end ASA, Astelco, or Planewave direct drive mount is more than a little unfair, in my opinion.

And at any rate the first reports are very positive from the growing number of EQ8 owners in Australia. It appears to be yet another bargain from Synta and will likely be as successful as its little brothers.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5950672 - 07/02/13 01:28 AM

I wouldn't say that it's not good. The resolution of the steppers seems to be more than adequate for precise gotos. At least it was fine on my old EQ6.
The absolute encoders are nice, however it is my understanding that if you want to shoot unguided you need to build a pointing model. That might be fine for those lucky ones that have a permanent setup. For the rest of us who have to travel to dark spots it seems that building a pointing model at the beginning of every session would be a waste of precious imaging time.
I can tell you that both my mounts have a guaranteed PE that is higher than what I read on this forum and each one of them cost at least about twice what the EQ8 costs plus they have a lower payload. I think that even without the Renishaw encoders The EQ8 looks pretty good.
I don't see a built in polarscope tho.

alpal
Post Laureate

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: BPO]
      #5950681 - 07/02/13 01:41 AM

Quote:

Hi alpal.

As a big admirer of the direct drive mounts of ASA and other European manufacturers, I have to say those should not be used in any comparison with Synta's/Sky-Watcher's EQ8.

The latter is for people unwilling or unable to invest the kind of capital required to possess a DDM-85 or similar, so criticising the EQ8 for not being a super high-end ASA, Astelco, or Planewave direct drive mount is more than a little unfair, in my opinion.

And at any rate the first reports are very positive from the growing number of EQ8 owners in Australia. It appears to be yet another bargain from Synta and will likely be as successful as its little brothers.

I agree & I can't wait to see some images & some FWHM values
that were obtained for long exposures.

alpal
Post Laureate

#5950689 - 07/02/13 01:49 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't say that it's not good. The resolution of the steppers seems to be more than adequate for precise gotos. At least it was fine on my old EQ6.
The absolute encoders are nice, however it is my understanding that if you want to shoot unguided you need to build a pointing model. That might be fine for those lucky ones that have a permanent setup. For the rest of us who have to travel to dark spots it seems that building a pointing model at the beginning of every session would be a waste of precious imaging time.
I can tell you that both my mounts have a guaranteed PE that is higher than what I read on this forum and each one of them cost at least about twice what the EQ8 costs plus they have a lower payload. I think that even without the Renishaw encoders The EQ8 looks pretty good.

True but when they talked about encoders it was misleading -
I thought they meant a cut down version of a Renishaw encoder -
maybe not as accurate as a Renishaw but still a dual axis closed loop
control system based on optical encoders attached to the axes -
which it appears that it's not but to be honest -
I'm still not sure as the spec sheets really don't go into
that sort of technical detail.

Another thing:
I notice with my EQ6 that it can be polar aligned & drift aligned for one part of the sky
- then when I turn the mount to a different target -
say from North to South - that it's no longer drift aligned.
The stars will be moving across the frame where as they were stationary before.
(I do level the mount with a carpenters level)

The only reason I can think of is that the mount is not square -
not orthogonal.

I hope the EQ8 is a bit better in this regard?

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5950707 - 07/02/13 02:22 AM

Quote:

Another thing:
I notice with my EQ6 that it can be polar aligned & drift aligned for one part of the sky

The only reason I can think of is that the mount is not square -
not orthogonal.

I hope the EQ8 is a bit better in this regard?

That is quite peculiar. I have never heard of that. You might want to start a new thread about it. I'm sure a lot of people will chime in. Your assessment makes perfect sense tho. I've only had the Atlas/EQ6 for a few months and I never drift aligned it so I can't provide any useful feedback.

alpal
Post Laureate

#5950712 - 07/02/13 02:30 AM

Hi Andy,
I don't think we need a new thread on it.
I would be interested to see what others have found & to see what the EQ8 does.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5951017 - 07/02/13 10:06 AM

Quote:

No "probably" about it. The encoders are there to let you move the OTA by hand without losing alignment.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5951021 - 07/02/13 10:09 AM

Quote:

Something is wrong with your mount or with your procedure. I would guess your procedure, since there's little way for non-orthogonality to cause different polar alignments in different parts of the sky. All that would cause that would be for the RA axis itself to move.

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5951101 - 07/02/13 10:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Something is wrong with your mount or with your procedure. I would guess your procedure, since there's little way for non-orthogonality to cause different polar alignments in different parts of the sky. All that would cause that would be for the RA axis itself to move.

I would agree with Rod here, I don't have that issue with my Atlas. Maybe a balance issue?

telfish
sage

#5951440 - 07/02/13 02:32 PM

Quote:

The polar scope is a separate item supplied with the scope. It sits on it's own bracket and is not part of the central axis like the eq6 scope.

alpal
Post Laureate

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: rigel123]
      #5951895 - 07/02/13 06:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with Rod here, I don't have that issue with my Atlas. Maybe a balance issue?

Don't think so.
I am surprised that no one else has noticed this.

Coastal
sage

#5951911 - 07/02/13 07:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't think so.

The only time I've had a situation somewhat similar I was able to track it down to mirror shift on an old 10" Meade SCT.

BPO
sage

#5951977 - 07/02/13 07:49 PM

Speaking of Meade and the EQ8, an Australian owner (Jonathon, on the iceinspace forum) just posted this video to You Tube demonstrating the grippiness of the clutches and the excellent damping of his EQ8 with 14" Meade LX200. (2,200mm fl.)

alpal
Post Laureate

#5952231 - 07/02/13 10:48 PM

Good video.

I would still like to know more about those encoders.

Per Frejvall
sage

Reged: 09/28/12

Loc: Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
      #5952379 - 07/03/13 12:57 AM

If this baby delivers with guiding it will be a top product. The discussion about the encoders is correct; they have 1.2 arcmin of resolution and the rest of the accuracy comes from just counting stepper motor steps.

The payload and the price sets it in a class by itself, me thinks. It will be very interesting to see the AP performance!

/per

alpal
Post Laureate

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Per Frejvall]
      #5952393 - 07/03/13 01:21 AM

Quote:

If this baby delivers with guiding it will be a top product. The discussion about the encoders is correct; they have 1.2 arcmin of resolution and the rest of the accuracy comes from just counting stepper motor steps.

The payload and the price sets it in a class by itself, me thinks. It will be very interesting to see the AP performance!

/per

Oh dear - I though I could buy one & get Renishaw encoders
just like an ASA mount for 1/4 of the cost.

I was only dreaming.

rob288

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: South Canterbury, New Zealand
      #5952556 - 07/03/13 06:03 AM Attachment (54 downloads)

EQ8 mounts have arrived in New Zealand, just need to set up on permanent pier and test.

alpal
Post Laureate

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: rob288]
      #5952559 - 07/03/13 06:10 AM

Great news - please post the imaging results.

lafo0100

#5952677 - 07/03/13 08:26 AM

Rob, I see that you've got the 2 counterweights right down to the bottom. Are they enough to balance your 12"? Looks like 3 or 4 weights will be needed depending on the users setup.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5952728 - 07/03/13 09:07 AM

Quote:

Don't think so.

There's a reason for it: There's no way this will be the result of a non-orthogonal mount. It's your set up. Check that everything on your mount (like the tripod to head attachment) is secure. Make sure the latitude adjustment bolts are locked down. Check that the telescope or its mirror are not moving. Check that you are not moving or bumping the polar axis at some time.

alpal
Post Laureate

#5952736 - 07/03/13 09:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't think so.

There's a reason for it: There's no way this will be the result of a non-orthogonal mount. It's your set up. Check that everything on your mount (like the tripod to head attachment) is secure. Make sure the latitude adjustment bolts are locked down. Check that the telescope or its mirror are not moving. Check that you are not moving or bumping the polar axis at some time.

I have checked all that.
I have always noticed this problem.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5952745 - 07/03/13 09:15 AM

Well, sorry about that. You might have an experienced amateur from your local club have a look at your mount.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

#5952758 - 07/03/13 09:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't think so.

There's a reason for it: There's no way this will be the result of a non-orthogonal mount.

Yup. Polar alignment is polar alignment. The RA axis doesn't know or care where the telescope is pointed - and isn't affected by moving the telescope unless something is wrong. If you get drift after moving the telescope then either the polar alignment is worse than you think or the RA axis is physically shifting due to some mechanical problem.

alpal
Post Laureate

#5952796 - 07/03/13 09:51 AM

OK thanks guys - I thought what I was seeing was normal.

pubquiz
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/04

Loc: Lancashire England
      #5952849 - 07/03/13 10:31 AM

Am closely following all the EQ8 threads and results with great interest.

I was (still am ) desperately saving for a Mesu 200 as after doing lots of research here in the UK it seems the best reviewed (Olly Penrice's reviews of Yves's and Steve Richards review in Sky at night mag) and best bang for buck feature for feature.

However with weights and saddle it comes to £5274 which is well over twice the price of the EQ8 at £2465 without tripod.

Out of the 2 I prefer the friction drive and higher capacity of the Mesu 200 but am coming to the conclusion that the EQ8 will easily match my requirements and save me £2809!...that would get me a nice new refractor to put on it

Due date in the UK seems to Sept/Oct?

Tom

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
      #5952857 - 07/03/13 10:36 AM

Must be getting blind in my old age...I can't find the price.

Paul

Quote:

Quote:

at that price it should wash dishes, fix the car, take out the trash, and cook too.........

I assume you haven't priced mounts with similar payload capacity recently.

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5953453 - 07/03/13 04:51 PM

The blindness must be contagious! I can't any reference to the price either!

George

rmollise
Postmaster

#5953524 - 07/03/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

We won't know its U.S. $ price till it goes on sale here. That will depend somewhat on who the seller is. Given the overseas prices I've seen, I expect it will be in the 4K neighborhood. Less than the CGE Pro and Losmandy Titan, apparently, anyway.

Edited by rmollise (07/03/13 05:33 PM)

Sunspot
Postmaster

#5953539 - 07/03/13 05:40 PM

Well now, I don't feel so bad. I am really anxious to see how it stacks up against the CGE-Pro. Great thread folks!

Paul

We won't know its U.S. $ price till it goes on sale here. That will depend somewhat on who the seller is. Given the overseas prices I've seen, I expect it will be in the 4K neighborhood. Less than the CGE Pro and Losmandy Titan, apparently, anyway.

gavinm
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/26/05

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: pubquiz]
      #5953582 - 07/03/13 06:02 PM

Quote:

Am closely following all the EQ8 threads and results with great interest.

I was (still am ) desperately saving for a Mesu 200 as after doing lots of research here in the UK it seems the best reviewed (Olly Penrice's reviews of Yves's and Steve Richards review in Sky at night mag) and best bang for buck feature for feature.

However with weights and saddle it comes to £5274 which is well over twice the price of the EQ8 at £2465 without tripod.

Out of the 2 I prefer the friction drive and higher capacity of the Mesu 200 but am coming to the conclusion that the EQ8 will easily match my requirements and save me £2809!...that would get me a nice new refractor to put on it

Due date in the UK seems to Sept/Oct?

Tom

I'd be a little concerned that they (Mesu) have discontinued the Mesu 1 mount.. might support be a problem? I was investigating one.. not anymore

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5953592 - 07/03/13 06:11 PM

Quote:

just posted this video to You Tube

*clicks on link and watches video*

*notice very sharp image of the Moon in video*

*thinks it looks great*

*speaker comments about horrible seeing*

Wut? Some folks are totally spoiled. Come to Denmark, and I'll show you some horrible seeing.

But I am totally impressed by the new mount. It should be a blast for those folks with big refractors.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5953604 - 07/03/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

But I am totally impressed by the new mount.

Since I'm not really observer, I'll be impressed with this mount when easy and problem free long sub guiding is evident from multiple items.

rob288

#5953610 - 07/03/13 06:29 PM

The two counter weights are perfect with one eyepiece in and basic setup, another 5 kg will be needed when guidescope and camera are included.

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5953918 - 07/03/13 10:03 PM

Hmm.... EQ6 was released early 2001 and I could just now afford a used one...that means in 2025 I can upgrade to the EQ8!
Hey Astrojensen, you must have the same seeing as East Tennessee!

Coastal
sage

#5954149 - 07/04/13 01:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I paid $3799 (Canadian) for mine--the MAP listed on the Canadian website. Expect close to the same, but likely $100-200 less.

pubquiz
scholastic sledgehammer

#5954315 - 07/04/13 03:56 AM

Link to price in in the UK (when it gets here)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq8-mount.html

Tom

Tandum
sage

#5954499 - 07/04/13 09:16 AM Attachment (72 downloads)

Quote:

The two counter weights are perfect with one eyepiece in and basic setup, another 5 kg will be needed when guidescope and camera are included.

Here's my 12" F4 with 4Kgs of cameras, correctors and OAGs.
Shot through the dome door so not a good pic.
But the 2 weights are enough for me.
One weight is too much for my tak 102 however as it hits the head plate and won't go higher, so I'll need to invent a 5kg weight to suit.

alpal
Post Laureate

#5955278 - 07/04/13 09:28 PM

Why have they painted the EQ8 mount black?

My telescope & mount are both white which helps
me to see it at night.
Otherwise you can bump into it or not see what it's doing.

Black is a silly color for a night instrument.

lafo0100

#5955290 - 07/04/13 09:41 PM

you can get red led strips to help outline tripods, piers, etc. they's saved my toes a few times.

alpal
Post Laureate

#5955323 - 07/04/13 10:21 PM

Quote:

you can get red led strips to help outline tripods, piers, etc. they's saved my toes a few times.

I've seen people trip over a black telescope & not only
fall on the ground but bring the whole lot down with them.

I suppose you could always use masking tape on the EQ8 & paint it all white with a spray can?
It would only cost $20 & maybe 3 hours work.

austin.grant
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/18/10

Loc: Shreveport, LA
      #5955357 - 07/04/13 10:49 PM

Or you could save $20 and just watch what you're doing... Perhaps that's the real reason for the dual encoders, people kept bumping into it! Seriously though, I think the black looks great.

alpal
Post Laureate

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: austin.grant]
      #5955480 - 07/05/13 01:17 AM

Quote:

Or you could save $20 and just watch what you're doing... Perhaps that's the real reason for the dual encoders, people kept bumping into it!
Seriously though, I think the black looks great.

But you can't see black at night.
You can only just see white.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5955685 - 07/05/13 08:14 AM

Quote:

White is nice enough, but in over 40 years of attending star parties I've never seen what you describe, so I'd say "not very common."

alpal
Post Laureate

#5955819 - 07/05/13 10:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

White is nice enough, but in over 40 years of attending star parties I've never seen what you describe, so I'd say "not very common."

It has happened.
One incident I heard of caused a $10,000 refractor to have it's objective lens cracked.

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
      #5955845 - 07/05/13 10:36 AM

Apparently Khan Scope in Toronto has them in stock

http://khanscope.com/accessDetails.cfm?productID=4761

Note they've also jacked up the price since they may be the first in Canada to have them available.

Coastal
sage

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: corpusse]
      #5955998 - 07/05/13 12:06 PM

Vancouver Telescope had them in stock a few weeks ago for $3799. I don't mind waiting for mine.

Quote:

Note they've also jacked up the price since they may be the first in Canada to have them available.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5956108 - 07/05/13 01:34 PM

It may have. I just haven't seen it at a star party, nor have I head tell of many instances of it (none other than your report), so my conclusion is that black telescope mounts are not a crisis.

pubquiz
scholastic sledgehammer

#5956275 - 07/05/13 03:47 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

A solution to the terrible black problem

Must get some for my Losmandy G11, C100ED, Carbon Fibre Altair 8" RC and C8

Tom

telfish
sage

#5956813 - 07/05/13 10:23 PM

Quote:

Vancouver Telescope had them in stock a few weeks ago for $3799. I don't mind waiting for mine.

Quote:

The advert says it comes with a GPS! Didn't think it came with a GPS as standard!

Coastal
sage

#5956950 - 07/05/13 11:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The advert says it comes with a GPS! Didn't think it came with a GPS as standard!

I wouldn't pay another $400 for a GPS unit...

lafo0100

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: pubquiz]
      #5957169 - 07/06/13 07:50 AM

[image][/image] I managed to jump up a spot on the waiting list and finally got delivery of my eq8 today! Very impressed with this mount with the few minutes of playing around tonight. Handles my equipment without a problem. Now looking at the forecast, rain and clouds as far as the eye can see . Go figure. Here's a picture of my setup thus far. I'll post some more once the weather passes. ]EQ8-Initial

Edited by lafo0100 (07/06/13 07:52 AM)

Sunspot
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release *DELETED* new [Re: lafo0100]
      #5957223 - 07/06/13 09:10 AM

Post deleted by Sunspot

Tandum
sage

#5957291 - 07/06/13 10:11 AM

A heads up for you guys. The mount will not balance in ra without the polar scope.

Coastal
sage

#5957413 - 07/06/13 11:57 AM

Quote:

A heads up for you guys. The mount will not balance in ra without the polar scope.

Do you mean that without a telescope the mount will tip without the polar scope? If so I'm not too worried...

lafo0100

#5957741 - 07/06/13 03:33 PM

Thanks Tandum. Unfortunately the north american eq8's didn't come with the polar scope assembly. They are charging an $200 for it on top of the recent $400 price hike on the mount itself.

Coastal
sage

#5957784 - 07/06/13 04:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks Tandum. Unfortunately the north american eq8's didn't come with the polar scope assembly. They are charging an $200 for it on top of the recent $400 price hike on the mount itself.

The polar scope would probably just sit in my toolbox. Anyway not all dealers are charging $400 extra, just the greedy ones.

EDIT: Interesting, the manufacturer's minimum advertised price is no longer listed on the Canadian Skywatcher website.

Edited by Coastal (07/06/13 04:05 PM)

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5957790 - 07/06/13 04:05 PM

Quote:

The mount will not balance in ra without the polar scope.

What do you mean? I don't understand why it won't balance. The polar scope just bolts to the side of the RA housing, I think.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

rmollise
Postmaster

#5957817 - 07/06/13 04:19 PM

Quote:

How does a polar scope that bolts onto the RA housing prevent balancing?

lafo0100

#5957948 - 07/06/13 05:45 PM

Just had my eq8 taken apart at the dealer today and the off balance makes sense. The polar scope assembly offsets the weight of the stepper motors and the encoders. The stepper assemblies are approximately 1.5 lbs each. A dual ota bar also fixes the trick.

As for the cost, the increase is due to "additional unforeseen shipping" skywatcher didn't account for. The new MRSP as of Wednesday is $4200 CDN. Ridiculous? Absolutely!

rob288

#5958002 - 07/06/13 06:20 PM

Balancing issues that some are having, may have to do with what scope and accessories are on top, our 12 inch Newtonian with finder, and guider balances fine, as does the C11 with finder and guider, I am assuming that the guider is sufficient and its placement to balance out not having the polar scope.

Sunspot
Postmaster

#5958027 - 07/06/13 06:40 PM

Does this imply that it's not as good a mount as a Losmandy Titan? I'm contemplating a new mount for my C14 to do high resolution planetary imaging. The current mount is a CGE-Pro and I was thinking about moving to the Titan, unless this mount out performs the CGE-Pro and is close to the Titan.

Thanks!!
Paul

Quote:

As for the cost, the increase is due to "additional unforeseen shipping" skywatcher didn't account for. The new MRSP as of Wednesday is $4200 CDN. Ridiculous? Absolutely!

lafo0100

#5958063 - 07/06/13 07:19 PM

The eq8 is a gem in comparison to the those two mounts. I've used the CGE PRO and the Titan in the passed. I've been told that the cost increase is strictly to cover the additional shipping cost. The shipping is pretty crazy. I was quoted $450 to my door for a 400 km trip. Otherwise it would still be the same.

We've had crummy weather since the snow melted, but my friend and I will be comapring the eq8 to the Titan the first chance we get.

astroman365

Reged: 11/28/12

#5958093 - 07/06/13 07:38 PM

Here is a good link to a video review on the EQ-8 mount:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd95pnNOMcQ&feature=player_embedded#at=171

Sunspot
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: astroman365]
      #5958113 - 07/06/13 07:56 PM

That was very informative. It speaks big to compare it to the AP1200 mount. I see that Sky-Watcher is going to be at the Tucson Expo in November. Hopefully they will have a mount there...especially since I have a very good friend who works for Sky-Watcher.

Thanks!!
Paul

Quote:

Here is a good link to a video review on the EQ-8 mount:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd95pnNOMcQ&feature=player_embedded#at=171

frozen.kryo

#5958220 - 07/06/13 10:08 PM

I don't own the mount, but from what I've read, both RA and DEC motorblocks are on the same side. The mount tends to "fall" to this side. The polarscope acts as some sort of counterbalance to the motorblocks.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #5958403 - 07/07/13 02:03 AM

Why would you care about any imbalance that's only the weight of the polar scope on a mount with the capacity of the EQ8?

frozen.kryo

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5958491 - 07/07/13 05:33 AM

I guess only if you're suffering from OCD and/or anal about balance. Don't really know if it will have an effect on tracking performance. Northern hemisphere users might be affected more because for them, this mount is west-heavy by default.

Edited by frozen.kryo (07/07/13 05:35 AM)

mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
      #5959353 - 07/07/13 05:56 PM

Could someone submit a review when they've had enough hours under the stars with one? That may prove to give more insight...

Tandum
sage

#5960376 - 07/08/13 11:38 AM

Quote:

I guess only if you're suffering from OCD and/or anal about balance. Don't really know if it will have an effect on tracking performance. Northern hemisphere users might be affected more because for them, this mount is west-heavy by default.

Well thank you very much. I was just giving a heads up as to the balance issues. And no, I don't have any of the disorders you mention, you unknown insignificant wanker. How does that make you feel *BLEEP* ?

Some people down here are complaining, others are not. Some have bolted a bar where the polar scope should be and hung dew heater/dc disribution boxes there.

Here's maxim guiding tonight without the polar scope with an OAG at 1.2meters and a preview of the first almost finished image off the mount.

http://starshed.net/temp/maxim2.jpg

http://starshed.net/temp/6188.jpg

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

#5960430 - 07/08/13 12:16 PM

The balance issue can be corrected to me that's no big deal, but this oops $400 price increase the day it comes out is a real turn off imo.

I mean that's more then 10% of the cost of the mount in ADDITIONAL shipping charges? What did they think they container would be free? Were they behind schedule and decided instead of another delay they'd ship them via air mail and jack up the price to compensate?

This may very well end up being the best mount in it's price range and it's still cheaper then the CGE PRO which is probably the closest competition if you can call being owned by the same company competition. You can still get 2 of these before you can get a parmaount MX or AP mount less the mach 1. It just seems to me they should have thought of this.

Other thing to think about is the Canadian dollar has dropped a lot and leveled off around 95 cents USD. Up until recently it was basically at par or 98-99 cents. This may account for some of the increase as well.

I'm about a year away from upgrading to a mount in this price range so plenty of time to see how it does. I remember seeing a special introductory price of 3299 at one shop thinking it was too good to be true and almost ordered one then.

Still I'm looking forward to seeing and reading more about them.

Tandum
sage

#5960471 - 07/08/13 12:38 PM

Same thing happened here. It was the carriers here. They would not carry it unless it was on a pallet. Cost me an extra hundred dollars. What do ya do ....

Sunspot
Postmaster

#5960684 - 07/08/13 02:46 PM

I'm confused, isn't the price still about 1/3 of an AP1200 and 1/2 of a Titan, the two mounts it is supposed to compete against?

BPO
sage

#5960758 - 07/08/13 03:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well thank you very much. I was just giving a heads up as to the balance issues. And no, I don't have any of the disorders you mention... [SNIP]

Some people down here are complaining, others are not. Some have bolted a bar where the polar scope should be and hung dew heater/dc disribution boxes there.

Here's maxim guiding tonight without the polar scope with an OAG at 1.2meters and a preview of the first almost finished image off the mount.

http://starshed.net/temp/maxim2.jpg

http://starshed.net/temp/6188.jpg

Steady on, mate! I don't think frozen.kryo was criticising you at all. Perhaps the balance issue seemed more like a nitpick. But there's no need to go ballistic.

Nice pics.

rob288

#5960913 - 07/08/13 05:09 PM

Take a look at some of the pics on the web, the boxes arrive on a pallet, most retailers have under estimated the freight, simple option, ask them for a discount and drive all the way in a van or truck and collect, because it won't fit in a normal car or SUV.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Stew57]
      #5961294 - 07/08/13 10:05 PM

I was the one that asked if the balance issue was important.

For a mount with this capacity, if the weight of the polar scope made any difference at all in the mount's performance, I would run far away and fast.

I can understand, coming from smaller or entry level mounts, that people may be used to them being sensitive to balance. The thing is, with a 100lb plus capacity, the weight of the polar scope should be inconsequential. I would be curious about how smoothly it tracks, how well it responds to guiding, etc. - but would never expect to see this as an issue.

If it's really necessary to employ the above workarounds to offset the missing polar scope in order for the mount to perform, I would scratch this one off my list.

frozen.kryo

#5961468 - 07/08/13 11:43 PM

Like what BPO says, I wasn't criticizing or insulting you. That was not my intention at all.

That post was a reply to WadeH, and is my honest opinion. I think I am entitled to one: that the balance 'issue' is insignificnt.

Still, I can see why my post could be misconstrued as an insult.

So, apologies to Tandum, and anyone else offended by my post.

Steven
sage

Reged: 01/06/04

#5961582 - 07/09/13 01:40 AM

KW Telescope / Perceptor listed it at CAD$3,799.00
Here

Edited by Steven (07/09/13 01:45 AM)

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/11

Loc: New York
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Steven]
      #5974365 - 07/16/13 03:01 PM

I have a question...how do you control this mount with a PC? It only appears to have a hand control port, st-4 autoguide port, power input, some silly shutter control output for dslrs, but no rs232.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Mike7Mak]
      #5974458 - 07/16/13 03:57 PM

Quote:

I have a question...how do you control this mount with a PC? It only appears to have a hand control port, st-4 autoguide port, power input, some silly shutter control output for dslrs, but no rs232.

As with many mounts, the RS232 port is on the hand control.

OR...

You can use it with EQMOD with an EQDIR plugged into the HC port in lieu of the hand control

telfish
sage

#5974576 - 07/16/13 04:41 PM

Or you could buy or make a bluetooth adapter that plugs right into the mounts hand control port and go wireless.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5974649 - 07/16/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

KW Telescope / Perceptor listed it at CAD$3,799.00

That's quite a bit lower than i Denmark or Europe. We pay the equivalent of CAD$4,487.00 (prices per 07/16, 2013)

Edit: And we're still jumping up and down, because this mount is so cheap. I want one, to put a biiiig refractor on!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen (07/16/13 05:16 PM)

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

#5974734 - 07/16/13 06:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As with many mounts, the RS232 port is on the hand control.

OR...

You can use it with EQMOD with an EQDIR plugged into the HC port in lieu of the hand control

Ahh. All I'm familiar with is AutostarII. So the firmware and memory are in the hand control, not the mount itself. Seems like a better way to go after experiencing a motherboard failure in my LX200gps.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5974767 - 07/16/13 06:25 PM

Quote:

Or you could buy or make a bluetooth adapter that plugs right into the mounts hand control port and go wireless.

You can with EQMOD in the mix, but only with EQMOD in the mix. He asked "Where's the serial port?" not where's my dadgum Bluetooth?"

rmollise
Postmaster

#5974772 - 07/16/13 06:27 PM

Quote:

Ahh. All I'm familiar with is AutostarII. So the firmware and memory are in the hand control, not the mount itself. Seems like a better way to go after experiencing a motherboard failure in my LX200gps.

Negative, firmware is in both places. The hand control sends commands that are interpreted and acted on by a motor controller board (with firmware) in the mount.

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

#5974823 - 07/16/13 07:03 PM

Well this mount would definitely be a paradigm shift for me. Being both a gem and not Meade. I am pretty tired of waiting for a fork mount in this class. The Avalon M-1 is attractive but pricey for it's weight class. Nice portable mount but a little light for a permanent obs mount.

telfish
sage

#5975512 - 07/17/13 07:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You can with EQMOD in the mix, but only with EQMOD in the mix. He asked "Where's the serial port?" not where's my dadgum Bluetooth?"

I was answering the next follow up question! I am a Psychic.

My aim is to make my mount totally wireless. Now if only I could magic up a way of sending power over the airways I would be good.

My Psychic powers do not tell me when that will be invented!

rmollise
Postmaster

#5975609 - 07/17/13 09:14 AM

I've thought about wireless a time or two, but, yeah, unless you have a wireless way to send power, video, USB images, etc., etc., etc, it's kinda of a waste of time IMHO.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #5975762 - 07/17/13 11:08 AM

Wireless power exists. Its just not efficient. Some boffins have powered up a low power lightbulb fitting wirelessly but could not get the efficiency to be cost effective.

Id be happy enough with a power socket located at the bottom of the tripod leg. Less trailing cables that way

Edited by Hilmi (07/17/13 11:09 AM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5976056 - 07/17/13 01:58 PM

Well, yeah, Tesla did wireless power a century ago, but I ain't going down that road.

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

#5976499 - 07/17/13 06:01 PM

Ok is the exchange rate at play here or are the $4k figures listed elsewhere wishful thinking? N.Z.Telescopes has it listed at $6500, which frankly sounds realistic. $4k for this mount just seems too good to be true.

http://langwoodsphotography.com/eshop/Skywatcher-EQ8-Mount.html

BPO
sage

#5976510 - 07/17/13 06:06 PM

The NZ dollar is pretty puny. Australian retailers advertise the EQ8 for around AU$4,000 to AU$4,500 or so.

lucky305

Reged: 04/03/08

Poiuytreeewqqease new [Re: BPO]
      #5976854 - 07/17/13 09:30 PM

To
MLB

rob288

#5977033 - 07/17/13 11:35 PM

Mike, if you converted the exchange rate as of today, less the freight (which costs alot to and from NZ) being remote in the South pacific, and NZ taxes it would be about $4200 USD.

BPO
sage

#5977106 - 07/18/13 12:24 AM

Quote:

The NZ dollar is pretty puny. Australian retailers advertise the EQ8 for around AU$4,000 to AU$4,500 or so.

Adding to my own previous post, AU$4,500 equals NZ$5200, which equals US$4,100.

I would not have thougt the shipping from Australia to NZ would add so much (it's not a great distance, and the mounts have already traveled from China to Australia...), but I guess adding local GST tax and additional margin will bump it up.

I won't argue with Rob. As a vendor selling these mounts, he's obviously privy to all the NZ retail details that I'm not.

Anyway, judging by some of the amazingly smooth EQ8 PE curves being published by the Aussies, these mounts are priced very reasonably.

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

#5977253 - 07/18/13 04:27 AM

Thanks guys. I should have looked it up. I had no idea the disparity between NZ and US dollars was so large.

rob288

#5977274 - 07/18/13 05:15 AM

A cubic metre, 100 kg costs about $1600 NZD plus GST to freight from US to New Zealand.
To ship from Australia to NZ costs about $500 NZD plus Gst
To ship between South Island and North Island of NZ is up to $185 NZD
Then you have order value discounts from the manufacturers. Bigger markets better buy price.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5978978 - 07/18/13 11:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys. I should have looked it up. I had no idea the disparity between NZ and US dollars was so large.

KW up in Canada has it listed at $3799. It would be good if Orion could bring in their version for that price. Bring it down from Canada would probably result in a duty hit bring it up to about $4100 plus shipping.

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: EFT]
      #5989296 - 07/25/13 10:43 AM

So how are these mounts doing? Surprisingly ever since they have been available locally it's been clear almost every night. Still haven't seen any photos...

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5989315 - 07/25/13 10:53 AM

Quote:

So how are these mounts doing? Surprisingly ever since they have been available locally it's been clear almost every night. Still haven't seen any photos...

There are still very few of them out there it seems and the closest are up in Canada of course. The majority appear to be down under. Initial reports are promising though. There is a Yahoo group started by one of the Canadian owners that you should check out for information as well.

BPO
sage

#5989874 - 07/25/13 04:09 PM

Quote:

Check out the Australian forum IceInSpace. There must be a dozen Aussies and Kiwis now possessing EQ8s and the PE numbers they're getting are amazing. There have been some minor design niggles, but otherwise most everyone seems very impressed with this mount.

lafo0100

#5990040 - 07/25/13 06:12 PM

Corpusse, I've had mine out twice in the last few weeks. The weather has been terrible in Ottawa. So far this mount has completely exceeded my expectations. The amount of power it has is ridiculous. No issues handling 75lbs of imaging gear. I travel to sites with this mount and find it much easier to setup and take down than my CGEM DX. the weight is not an issue for me. Same PE numbers as AUS and NZ, high 1-low 2 arc secs. So far worth every penny. No regrets. Hope this helps. Has for availability, I've heard from a few skywatcher retailers that there's only 3 in north america right now. How much truth is to that? I have no idea...

aaube

Reged: 04/10/11

Loc: Trois-Rivieres, Canada
      #5990347 - 07/25/13 09:48 PM

Quote:

I've heard from a few skywatcher retailers that there's only 3 in north america right now. How much truth is to that? I have no idea...

I was told the same story when i paid a visit to 'La maison de l'astronomie' in Montréal last week. They were saying they dont expect these mounts to be available before November or December at best...

Sincerely,

Alain

Steven
sage

#5990388 - 07/25/13 10:32 PM

Do you mind disclosing how much is the mount?
There seems to be some discrepancy in pricing.

BPO
sage

#5990393 - 07/25/13 10:36 PM

My usual supplier here in NZ tells me he can sell me the EQ8 for NZ$6,450, which is AU$5,630, or a little over US$5,200, so I guess we do pay a bit of premium for being at the far end of the supply train.

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

#5990492 - 07/25/13 11:29 PM

Quote:

Corpusse, I've had mine out twice in the last few weeks. The weather has been terrible in Ottawa. So far this mount has completely exceeded my expectations. The amount of power it has is ridiculous. No issues handling 75lbs of imaging gear. I travel to sites with this mount and find it much easier to setup and take down than my CGEM DX. the weight is not an issue for me. Same PE numbers as AUS and NZ, high 1-low 2 arc secs. So far worth every penny. No regrets. Hope this helps. Has for availability, I've heard from a few skywatcher retailers that there's only 3 in north america right now. How much truth is to that? I have no idea...

I had no idea. There are 2 local stores within 1 hour drive of me that have them "in stock" I just assumed there were already dozens in Canada...

lafo0100

#5990763 - 07/26/13 05:53 AM

The mount and tripod were $3799 in Canada. Its gone up to $4199 with the increase in shipping. The increase came into effecta a few weeks ago.

Steven
sage

#5992011 - 07/26/13 09:16 PM

KW Telescope still listed it $3799. Do you mean if one need it shipped then the price jump to $4199?

alpal
Post Laureate

#5994369 - 07/28/13 09:28 AM

An image result from Australia with the EQ8:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=109967&page=2

Edited by alpal (07/28/13 09:28 AM)

John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

#5994451 - 07/28/13 10:19 AM

Quote:

KW Telescope still listed it $3799. Do you mean if one need it shipped then the price jump to $4199?

If it's Focus Scientific in Ottawa, I'd guess that the $4199 is the cost to pick up at the store. Not to ship to your house.

roberto001
journeyman

Reged: 09/22/10

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: orion69]
      #6051708 - 08/28/13 11:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hznsz5qyz4A

starhacker

Reged: 08/13/13

Loc: NH, USA
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: roberto001]
      #6052514 - 08/29/13 01:00 PM

I pre-ordered my EQ8 from Focus a couple weeks ago for CA$4200, plus a very reasonable price for shipping to the northeast U.S. However, duties will cost me another US$400+. Sigh. They're talking about mid-September to early October for shipping at this time. Focus also does a firmware upgrade and gear backlash adjustment for free, unless you prefer your mount unopened.

Online I also found a place in BC that sells them for about the same $ I think.

the_lizardking

Reged: 08/16/13

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: starhacker]
      #6052611 - 08/29/13 01:52 PM

Here are some tests of the mount:
http://www.astronomieforum.at/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6145
http://www.teleskop-austria.at/shop/

They sold a view of them allready months ago and I did not hear anything negative about it. The encoders are only for orientation and do not correct the PE, however I saw one and touched it and I was very impressed - for this price very interesting!

CS

Edited by the_lizardking (08/29/13 01:53 PM)

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: roberto001]
      #6052769 - 08/29/13 03:09 PM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hznsz5qyz4A

The full-blown road case for the mount head is really nice. This is a well put-together all-inclusive kit and looks really well thought out. Looking more and more like Synta hit this one so far out of the ballpark it might achieve escape velocity.

orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

#6053002 - 08/29/13 05:27 PM

Currently there are some problems with guiding (apparently with Lodestar) according to www.iceinspace.com forum. Its probably software related, hope that's resolved soon.

Does anyone have PHD graph using OAG with EQ8?

rmollise
Postmaster

#6053115 - 08/29/13 06:31 PM

Quote:

Currently there are some problems with guiding (apparently with Lodestar) according to www.iceinspace.com forum. Its probably software related, hope that's resolved soon.

Does anyone have PHD graph using OAG with EQ8?

This url is a little more efficacious: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=108249&page=27

BPO
sage

#6059537 - 09/02/13 03:42 PM

Quote:

Its probably software related, hope that's resolved soon.

Synta are aware of a bug in firmware version 3.35 and are working on a fix. It'll be very interesting to see how that goes; the people using the EQ8 via EQMOD instead of the HC are getting amazing results.

I'm pretty sure this mount is going to be my next "big" acquisition.

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
      #6194021 - 11/14/13 06:53 AM

Any rumors lately when this may come to the USA, or whether it may be marketed under a Celestron name?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9885

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics