Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pat Rochford

Reged: 09/30/08

Re: A Wooden Pier? new [Re: scopefreak]
      #5962498 - 07/09/13 04:36 PM

Hello Kevin,

What I need to do is build a larger observatory ... I'm still using the 6' x 12' roll off roof I made for my original 8" LX 200. (Half of the observatory is a warm room, so the 14" is sitting in a 6' x 6' space. Cramped is putting it mildly!)

A friend of mine made me a pier for the 14" out of a section of a ship's bridge mast. It is 12" diameter aluminum with base and top plates, about 42" tall. I've already drilled and tapped it for my APT wedge. Again, all I need to do now is build a larger structure to put it and the scope in.

If I can ever get the ambition and money together at the same time I'll do it and post a picture or two.

Pat

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: A Wooden Pier? new [Re: Pat Rochford]
      #5965762 - 07/11/13 02:09 PM

Mine is concrete. No vibration to speak of.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: A Wooden Pier? new [Re: Kraus]
      #5965943 - 07/11/13 03:49 PM

Kraus,

Yup. I bet it doesn't.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: A Wooden Pier? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5968711 - 07/13/13 09:26 AM

It's a beautiful piece of work. I consider a three second damping time to be just so-so, however. My wood tripod does better as does the ATS pier which however cost 5x what you paid for your pier. The damping time of the pier however may not matter very much. If the pier is isolated from the floor, you won't have much cause to worry about damping issues in an observatory set up. You won't be in the wind and there won't be passers-by. Damping time does matter to me in the sense that I don't like to get a three second bounce when I touch the focuser, which happens on a *lot* of commercial set ups. But that is a function of the mount and the pier together; you would have to test them as a set-up.

The damping qualities of wood are generally considered to be excellent, one of the reasons it continues to be used in tripods.

Greg N

scopefreak
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/14/04

Loc: Mayslick KY
Re: A Wooden Pier? new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #5968789 - 07/13/13 10:37 AM

Thanks for the compliment on my pier. The damping time was just a rough estimate after "thumping" the top of the unit while observing. The pier is isolated from the floor by 2" all around the concrete sonotube that is in the ground 5'. The only contact I ever have with the scope/mount combo is when I change EP's or adjust the sliding counter weight when adding/subtracting equipment. I also never touch the focus controls on either the scope of the EV focuser. Both are controlled by computer or HC boxes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1456

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics