Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
153joseph
journeyman

Reged: 06/12/12

Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ?
      #5997632 - 07/30/13 12:50 AM

Hello,
I am new to this forum, and would like to thank you all for sharing a ton of useful information!

I am considering upgrading the tripod for my Vixen Porta II mount. It seems that people like their Oberwerk wooden tripod and GTO adjustable wooden leg set. Which one do you think is better?
I will use it with Orion ED80.

Edited by 153joseph (07/30/13 12:54 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: 153joseph]
      #5997943 - 07/30/13 08:15 AM

Welcome aboard.

One thing to consider is the weight of the tripod. The Oberwerks are "surveyor" class tripods..... very sturdy, have great load-carrying capability, and weight. You are probably young and would have no problem hauling around a surveyor's tripod, Porta and 80mm 'scope, but as one ages, it would become more daunting to haul.

Second thing to consider is that your fast 'scope and Porta are very lightweight..... maybe you do not need the load rating of a surveyors tripod? If that is the case, a good set of wooden legs will mitigate issues associated with metal legs, and save you money for another eyepiece, etc.
http://handsonoptics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=881
Alas, you would need to add a tripod spreader (and eyepiece tray) to this unit to really make it solid and user friendly. Spreaders are available from Universal Astronomics, and Vixen eyepiece trays from many places.

Finally, consider buying used gear. With wooden legs there may be a few bruises, but this is easily solved with sandpaper and oil/stain. Surveyors tripods can be found used almost everywhere. Try Craigslist, your local county council, etc.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: hottr6]
      #5998448 - 07/30/13 01:27 PM

There's no doubt that the Oberwerk surveyors tripod will be more stable. It will also weigh more, but worth it in my opinion.

Both of the tripods discussed here have spreaders. The Oberwerk will require you to buy an adapter to mount the Porta head from Manny Miles (he's on this forum). The GTO legs will require a little trimming in order to fit them to the Porta.

I purchased a blem surveyors tripod for my Porta from Oberwerk for just over $100.

153joseph
journeyman

Reged: 06/12/12

Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: SteveG]
      #6002308 - 08/01/13 11:06 PM

Thank you, hottr6 and SteveG for your comments!

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: 153joseph]
      #6003185 - 08/02/13 01:00 PM

The blems from Big Binoculars are a great buy, and Kevin is super to deal with,DA.

Goodchild
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/08

Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: Binojunky]
      #6003539 - 08/02/13 04:52 PM

Quote:

The blems from Big Binoculars are a great buy, and Kevin is super to deal with,DA.

Ditto. I like the blem tripods so much that I have two of them.

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: Goodchild]
      #6004408 - 08/03/13 07:41 AM

I personally picked up my 'blem' and when Kevin hand selected one for me, I remember saying 'where is the blem?'. Was a VERY minor discoloration in a leg. I could just barely notice it. Kevin said he was picky. I guess so!!

pugliano

Reged: 06/16/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: Chucky]
      #6005041 - 08/03/13 03:39 PM

I hope it's ok to ask a question here rather than start a new thread, because my question pertains to what you just said about the blems from Big Binoculars!

BB is selling the blems with a 3/8" adapter. Will a Porta II head attach to that?? I would much rather get that setup that already has the legs attached to the base than have to get a Porta II head, the GTO legs, and then have to trim the legs to get them to fit. I don't have any tools.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: pugliano]
      #6005163 - 08/03/13 05:23 PM

Quote:

I hope it's ok to ask a question here rather than start a new thread, because my question pertains to what you just said about the blems from Big Binoculars!

BB is selling the blems with a 3/8" adapter. Will a Porta II head attach to that?? I would much rather get that setup that already has the legs attached to the base than have to get a Porta II head, the GTO legs, and then have to trim the legs to get them to fit. I don't have any tools.

Sadly no, it does fit, but I believe you simply remove that adaptor to mount your Vixen head to the tripod. To do this you need a backing plate that goes underneath. I have yet to attach mine so I will be finding out soon. According to other posters on this site, Manny Miles sells this backing plate.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #6127865 - 10/09/13 08:54 PM

Hey guys, I just discovered that I can't mount my Porta II on the Oberwerk wooden tripod that I bought from BigBinoculars.com with the provided 3/8" bolt and plate. Steve, you mention a backing plate sold by Manny Miles. Could you provide a link? Can anyone else suggest a possible alternative method? I'm bummed, as I was told elsewhere that the Vixen mount was a drop-in fit on this tripod.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: dpippel]
      #6128045 - 10/09/13 10:48 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

You'll have to replace the 3/8" bolt on the Oberwerks to one that will thread into the #38012 Porta II Mount Adapter that should already be mounted on your Porta II. fwiw on my Original Porta, I had to use two different plates to mount it on Oberwerk's 3/8" mounting stud.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: core]
      #6128835 - 10/10/13 11:08 AM

Thanks for the info Peter. The problem I'm having is trying to figure out what I need to mate up with the adapter on the Porta II. I just emailed Kevin at BigBinoculars.com and he says he's never heard of the Porta II.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: hottr6]
      #6128876 - 10/10/13 11:26 AM

Quote:

Alas, you would need to add a tripod spreader (and eyepiece tray) to this unit to really make it solid and user friendly. Spreaders are available from Universal Astronomics, and Vixen eyepiece trays from many places.

I upgraded the legs on my Portamount to the Hands on Optics legs. FOr an 80mm, more than adequate. I used the spreader from the Portamount... For the "tray." I want something to store my eyepieces, I use a Rubbermaid 19 cup food storage container. I bored a hole in the center and it attaches to the spreader. The high sides keep eyepieces from falling out and if dew is a problem, it has a lid..

For those interested in the "ultimate" tripod for the Portamount...

Designed and manufactured more than 50 years ago for Hollywood and those old giant TV cameras, this tripod was available up until a few years ago. It weighs 22lbs and was rated for 400lbs..

It sure stabilizes the Portamount but it is just to heavy to be considered grab and go.

Jon

SteveG
Post Laureate

Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6129048 - 10/10/13 12:59 PM

I still need the part for mine as well. You can send Manny a PM:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showprofile.php?Cat=0&User=13532&a...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6129068 - 10/10/13 01:10 PM

Thanks much Steve!

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
      #6129079 - 10/10/13 01:15 PM

I did not upgrade my Vixe Porta II tripod, but instead I'm using the spreader by Agena Astro.

It has made an *enormous* difference. I would strongly advise trying the spreader (which is also an excellent EP holder) before springing for an upgraded tripod.

The only downside is that it takes a bit longer (remove three metal screws as opposed to one plastic one) to take apart/put together the mount. I leave mine set up for G&G purposes.

http://agenaastro.com/astro-tray-ep17-eyepiece-tray.html

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: Stelios]
      #6129099 - 10/10/13 01:23 PM

Looks like a very good, and less expensive, option. However, I'd wager that the damping properties of the wooden legs on the Oberwerk would be more advantageous than the additional rigidity the spreader gives to the stock aluminum tripod.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/13

Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6129230 - 10/10/13 02:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I upgraded the legs on my Portamount to the Hands on Optics legs. FOr an 80mm, more than adequate. I used the spreader from the Portamount... For the "tray." I want something to store my eyepieces, I use a Rubbermaid 19 cup food storage container. I bored a hole in the center and it attaches to the spreader. The high sides keep eyepieces from falling out and if dew is a problem, it has a lid..

For those interested in the "ultimate" tripod for the Portamount...

Designed and manufactured more than 50 years ago for Hollywood and those old giant TV cameras, this tripod was available up until a few years ago. It weighs 22lbs and was rated for 400lbs..

It sure stabilizes the Portamount but it is just to heavy to be considered grab and go.

Jon

Who makes that tripod?

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: calypsob]
      #6129784 - 10/10/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

Who makes that tripod?

Mine was sold under the name Houston-Fearless but they were sold under other names as well. They are an Ebay, Craigslist garage sale type of find. Up until a few years ago, Quickset sold them but they were over $3000..

This page shows them in their intended use.. TV Studio tripods.. Scroll down and there are some examples.

Houston-Fearless tripods...

I like this photo.. that's a serious camera sitting on top of that tripod..

Jon

DavidNealMinnick
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

Re: Wooden tripod for Porta mount - Oberwerk vs GTO ? new [Re: dpippel]
      #6129968 - 10/10/13 09:49 PM

Quote:

Looks like a very good, and less expensive, option. However, I'd wager that the damping properties of the wooden legs on the Oberwerk would be more advantageous than the additional rigidity the spreader gives to the stock aluminum tripod.

I like the HAL130 tripod for my Porta II, but the tripod which came with my Mini-Porta was too short and too flimsy. I removed the bottom plate from the mount, held on with three screws, then duplicated this with a piece of scrap aluminum of the appropriate thickness. I then center-drilled and tapped to match the center-column mounting for, in my case, a Manfrotto tripod better suited my uses. Do this for your Oberwerk.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1344

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics