Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: ziggarut69]
      #6042778 - 08/24/13 12:47 AM

Nope. Buttery smooth friction adjustable axial movements. Especially with wide field fast refractors. I use mine a lot with C5, C6, C90, SV80S and PST and haven't missed slo-mo with any of them. I also have the big brother DSV-3. That model has slo-mo knobs. I rarely use them, preferring good balance and smooth manual tracking.

Regards,

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
314Sprout

Reged: 06/27/12

Loc: San Diego
Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: ziggarut69]
      #6042782 - 08/24/13 12:50 AM

I'm with Jim on this one. I haven't missed slow mo controls at all on the DSV-1. I have the exact same set up as he describes, the DSV on the blem wooden tripod. Rock solid, damps quickly and easy to track. Tonight I had the Celestron 102 that everyone is clamoring about (I got sucked in for $59, what can I say!) and it was a great match to this mount combo. Legs fully extended so I could look at Saturn, very quick dampening. I also regularly mount my C-90 and that very short scope is also very easy to nudge along. Raul has a made us a clear winner of a mount. You won't be sorry.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: Stelios]
      #6043633 - 08/24/13 01:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To be honest after useing a small ED80 on both the Versago and the Porta I find it easier to just nudge the scope useing the tube than try screwing two slow motion handles at the same time, JMPOV, DA.

Can you not nudge on the Porta at all? It *seems* that you should be able to as long as the scope is well-balanced.

I am going to order something (likely the Porta, possibly just the head and add legs) for sure, but temporarily I'll use my CG-5 tripod and the Giro II I have while I pay a visit to WHCT to maybe see the mounts up close.

Yes you can nudge the Porta however you said it had to have slow motions whatever your choice, the Versago is half the price of the Porta and in the case of a ED80 F7.5 works every bit as well,good luck in your choice,DA.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 665

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics