Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed
      #6039572 - 08/22/13 04:18 AM

I made an impulsive buy of a Celestron ED-80 which I intend to use as a grab-n-go scope. So now, of course, I need a mount. I've decided it'll be Alt-Az, and will have slow-motion controls. I don't want something heavy--the goal is to be able to grab the mounted scope with one arm and go. (I also plan to leave the scope mounted, if it makes a difference).

So far I'm wavering between the Vixen mini-Porta and the Vixen Porta II. Is there a clear winner? Are there better alternatives? The ES Twilights are too heavy.
What about the cute small iOptron cubes? Will they handle the ED-80? Will they be too much trouble for G&G?

All advice much appreciated!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Goodchild
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/08

Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: Stelios]
      #6039841 - 08/22/13 10:15 AM

Stelios,
Are there better alternatives? That depends on your perspective. If you want a truly portable mount capable of handling your 80ED then another option would be an AZ-3 mount. I have one that I use for my Skywatcher 120 refractor and it handles the scope very well. Slo-mo controls and the whole mount and tripod must be under ten pounds (I haven't actually weighed it but it is very light). Just something to consider.

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
      #6039884 - 08/22/13 10:46 AM

Stelios,

I vote for the Vixen Porta II. I haven't used a Mini Porta, but I've read that at is a little weak to put it politely. The Porta II is so light and more than capable for your scope. I love the Porta II so much that I have 3 of them.
The slow motion controls are really nice and work well.

I also have a "cute" little Ioptron cube pro. Only used it once so far. I plan to try it out some more once I get moved and resettled.

Many people have replaced the legs on their Porta II mounts with wooden legs for more stability. So far I haven't felt a need for it.

Good luck with your decision making.

Best,

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: Goodchild]
      #6039891 - 08/22/13 10:49 AM

I didn't see the AZ-3 mount for sale in the US. The closest appears to be the Orion AZ-4. If this will handle it, it's certainly cheaper.

Noisykids
sage

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: ma
      #6039912 - 08/22/13 11:00 AM

i've got the orion micro motion az for my eon 80. the 300 dollar one. my only beef is the way the slow motion controls can get in the way, though there are two mounting points for each one. i've seen suggestions for mounting wheels on them instead of the longer cables. i'm otherwise happy with it.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: Noisykids]
      #6040230 - 08/22/13 02:07 PM

The Porta II is a perfect alt-az match for the C80 ED IMO. I love mine.

Goodchild
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/08

Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: dpippel]
      #6040265 - 08/22/13 02:34 PM

Hi, Stelios,
Here is a link for the AZ-3 mount.
http://www.optcorp.com/ce-93607-heavy-duty-alt-azimuth-tripod.html

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: Goodchild]
      #6040282 - 08/22/13 02:47 PM

That one! I didn't realize the Celestron tripod with slo-mo was the AZ-3. I found it even cheaper at Amazon. However I noticed that many say that it's hard to look at things high-up in the sky with this mount.

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
      #6040331 - 08/22/13 03:18 PM

The iOptron CubePro will handle it just fine but it's still $400. Orion has on clearance as a 2nd at this time VersaGo II for $150 and that one would work too though I'd prefer SW AZ4 for $200 sold now only directly by Celestron. That's cuz legs are better than VersaGo's.

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: belgrade]
      #6040416 - 08/22/13 04:19 PM

Yes, but unfortunately the Celestron-sold Skywatcher AZ-4 has no slow-motion controls.

The little cube is $340, but I worry that when I add a 2" diagonal and my 28mm UWAN (something I'm looking forward to) I will way overwhelm it. Both the Porta II and Skywatcher AZ-4 should handle this easily.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

#6040436 - 08/22/13 04:31 PM

The mini Porta will handle a short 60-70mm scope but for the ED80 the full size version is the way to go.
If you can live without slow motions then the Orion Versago 11 is fine, less money than the Vixen, in fact it may be on sale still(around$150) with free or low cost shipping.
This is what I use for my small scopes including the ED80,s, works very well,very portable,DA.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #6040468 - 08/22/13 05:04 PM

Quote:

That one! I didn't realize the Celestron tripod with slo-mo was the AZ-3. I found it even cheaper at Amazon. However I noticed that many say that it's hard to look at things high-up in the sky with this mount.

Personally I would only consider this mount if your budget is set in stone at that level and you have no other choice. I had one and while it WORKED, it was restrictive, not too stable, and not fun to use. Mounts like the Porta II are in a completely different league.

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: Binojunky]
      #6040530 - 08/22/13 05:43 PM

Quote:

The mini Porta will handle a short 60-70mm scope but for the ED80 the full size version is the way to go.
If you can live without slow motions then the Orion Versago 11 is fine, less money than the Vixen, in fact it may be on sale still(around$150) with free or low cost shipping.
This is what I use for my small scopes including the ED80,s, works very well,very portable,DA.

I'd rather not abandon slow-motions, so it looks that the Porta II is the winner. The only downside is that it weighs 15 lbs, but that should still be OK.

Will be ordering something tonight , so if anyone has any tempting thoughts...

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6040667 - 08/22/13 07:13 PM

Desert Sky Astro DSV-1 head ($190)...

http://www.desertskyastro.com/DSV-1.html

Plus, Oberwerk "blem" or "clearance" wooden tripod from bigbinoculars.com ($99-$125)...

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/tradeins.htm

And you'll have an imminently portable alt-az mount setup suitable for many different OTAs (up to 6" SCTs and shorter 4" refractors) that will work and look like a million bucks.

I use this setup for my 60mm achromats, an SV80S and my Coronado PST. Great mount, nice tripod and wonderful ease of use. About 16# all in for head and tripod. With a small OTA on board, it's very easy to pick up and move around the yard.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (08/23/13 12:12 AM)

astrophile
sage

Reged: 06/30/13

Loc: Chaise-lounge, 18x50s in hand
      #6041045 - 08/23/13 12:03 AM

If you have the budget and can find an interim stand-in, the upcoming Mini Hitch II looks like an interesting "better solution." Will weigh much less than 15lbs; and based on Nova Hitch experience, it ought to be a joy to use.

Edited by astrophile (08/23/13 12:05 AM)

pdxmoon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: astrophile]
      #6041739 - 08/23/13 11:45 AM

+5 on the Porta II. My ED80 sits well on this mount.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

#6041912 - 08/23/13 01:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd rather not abandon slow-motions, so it looks that the Porta II is the winner. The only downside is that it weighs 15 lbs, but that should still be OK.

Will be ordering something tonight , so if anyone has any tempting thoughts... [/q
To be honest after useing a small ED80 on both the Versago and the Porta I find it easier to just nudge the scope useing the tube than try screwing two slow motion handles at the same time, JMPOV, DA.

ziggarut69

Reged: 07/17/13

Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6041940 - 08/23/13 02:04 PM

Quote:

Desert Sky Astro DSV-1 head ($190)...

http://www.desertskyastro.com/DSV-1.html

Plus, Oberwerk "blem" or "clearance" wooden tripod from bigbinoculars.com ($99-$125)...

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/tradeins.htm

And you'll have an imminently portable alt-az mount setup suitable for many different OTAs (up to 6" SCTs and shorter 4" refractors) that will work and look like a million bucks.

Do you find the lack of slow-mo an issue with this mount?

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: Binojunky]
      #6042250 - 08/23/13 05:05 PM

Quote:

To be honest after useing a small ED80 on both the Versago and the Porta I find it easier to just nudge the scope useing the tube than try screwing two slow motion handles at the same time, JMPOV, DA.

Can you not nudge on the Porta at all? It *seems* that you should be able to as long as the scope is well-balanced.

I am going to order something (likely the Porta, possibly just the head and add legs) for sure, but temporarily I'll use my CG-5 tripod and the Giro II I have while I pay a visit to WHCT to maybe see the mounts up close.

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #6042592 - 08/23/13 10:10 PM

I have the VersaGo and the StarGuy. StarGuy is the Porta 2 on a beefier tripod. Nudging on the VeraGo is smoother than the Porta. The VersaGo mount head is more sturdier than the Porta. But the Slo Motion controls on the Porta are nice when using a refractor or SCT. The VersGo is great for a 6 inch reflector or smaller. The 80 mm refractor is a nice fit for the Porta for sure.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: ziggarut69]
      #6042778 - 08/24/13 12:47 AM

Nope. Buttery smooth friction adjustable axial movements. Especially with wide field fast refractors. I use mine a lot with C5, C6, C90, SV80S and PST and haven't missed slo-mo with any of them. I also have the big brother DSV-3. That model has slo-mo knobs. I rarely use them, preferring good balance and smooth manual tracking.

Regards,

Jim

314Sprout

Reged: 06/27/12

Loc: San Diego
Re: Alt-az mount for ED-80 needed new [Re: ziggarut69]
      #6042782 - 08/24/13 12:50 AM

I'm with Jim on this one. I haven't missed slow mo controls at all on the DSV-1. I have the exact same set up as he describes, the DSV on the blem wooden tripod. Rock solid, damps quickly and easy to track. Tonight I had the Celestron 102 that everyone is clamoring about (I got sucked in for $59, what can I say!) and it was a great match to this mount combo. Legs fully extended so I could look at Saturn, very quick dampening. I also regularly mount my C-90 and that very short scope is also very easy to nudge along. Raul has a made us a clear winner of a mount. You won't be sorry.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

#6043633 - 08/24/13 01:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can you not nudge on the Porta at all? It *seems* that you should be able to as long as the scope is well-balanced.

I am going to order something (likely the Porta, possibly just the head and add legs) for sure, but temporarily I'll use my CG-5 tripod and the Giro II I have while I pay a visit to WHCT to maybe see the mounts up close.

Yes you can nudge the Porta however you said it had to have slow motions whatever your choice, the Versago is half the price of the Porta and in the case of a ED80 F7.5 works every bit as well,good luck in your choice,DA.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 735

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics